Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish person who caused social change in Ireland in the last 30 years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Jackie Healy Rae

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Roy Keane
    For showing us that second rate is no longer acceptable

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

P Flynn made a lot of people wake up as to what was going on, not enough to stop them before it was to late though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

judice penning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

G.B.

No, not the one who famously interviewed P. Flynn above, (although he deserves his place on the list).

The other G.B. who's name cannot be mentioned because everyone (including myself) is sick of hearing his name after the shenanigans this Summer.

But he did make an inadvertant contribution to social change in relation to the upholding of planning laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Roy Keane
    For showing us that second rate is no longer acceptable

Now he's an assistant manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

I'd prefer if I could include Donagh o Malley for bringing in free education and Noel Browne for introducing the mother & child scheme.
    Mary Robinson, David Norris, Niamh Breathnach also worthy mentions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

And?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Hard to get past Mary Robinson. But Chief O'Brien comes a close second. Really paved the way for the peace process in the North, by showing how he could get over his hatred of the Cardassians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

While it was certainly a step forward for human rights in the country and in the right direction for equal rights/marriage etc. I dont think the work of David Norris and the decriminalization of homosexuality really caused that much of a social shift in the country. I reckon it was more a correction of an anachronism than a sudden liberation of oppressed masses.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

In two jobs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

And?

If he never accepted second rate surely he wouldn't want to be an assistant and have the balls to be a manager.Being an assistant manager is second rate by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bob Geldof

esp when he appeared on the late late show back in the 80s, and told like it is regards ireland of the time...that it was a backward insular corrupt country and he had no desire to live here, he expressed the feelings of lots of young people back then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If he never accepted second rate surely he wouldn't want to be an assistant and have the balls to be a manager.Being an assistant manager is second rate by definition.

...in your opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Big Joe Joyce King of the Gypsies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Michael Martin when he introduced the smoking ban in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

fryup wrote: »
    Bob Geldof

esp when he appeared on the late late show back in the 80s, and told like it is regards ireland of the time...that it was a backward insular corrupt country and he had no desire to live here, he expressed the feelings of lots of young people back then

And Gaybo for having the balls to bring him onto the show.

Mary Robinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nell McCafferty and her condom trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

acon2119 wrote: »
    Can you think of any Irish person who caused social change in Ireland in the last 30 years. Someone that there would be lots of info on. Doesn't matter if it was social change for the good or bad. Not necessarily someone in politics. Any ideas????????

Mary Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 too_little

michael o leary , made regular air travel available to the masses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

A lot of messers throwing out jokes here. But in all seriousness I cant believe no one has mentioned the obvious one.....

Pat Mustard

• Registered Users Posts: 9 too_little

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Big Joe Joyce King of the Gypsies.

yeah , he made people view buckets in an entirely different way

• Site Banned Posts: 21 Jussnot Fairmann

Fr. Brendan Smith...

turned a fair few people away from the catholic church

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Has to be Mary Robinson!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Bob Geldof and Gay Byrne/ The Late late Show without doubt any show or entertainer who could routinely get denounced from the pulpit and dander up in The Dail must be worth a mention. You would need to be of a certain age to appreciate the **** these guys caused.
    And more recently Panti Bliss/ Rory O'Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Mark Zukerberg???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Nell McCafferty and her condom trains.

that was mary robinson,

nell had no use for condoms...if you know what i mean;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would love to help with your homework but I charge 11.50 an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

that was mary robinson,

nell had no use for condoms...if you know what i mean;)

Hmmmm. I dont think youre right there. Nell and a few others would regularly travel to Belfast and SHOCK HORROR bring Johnnys into Catholic Ireland only to have them confiscated by The Guards. Definitely Nell (he says as he googles it to be sure)
    Twas nell alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Bob Geldof

So it hasnt really changed then. Is true what they say, the more things change, the more it stays the same.

Advertisement