Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish person who caused social change in Ireland in the last 30 years

Options
  • 06-10-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Can you think of any Irish person who caused social change in Ireland in the last 30 years. Someone that there would be lots of info on. Doesn't matter if it was social change for the good or bad. Not necessarily someone in politics. Any ideas????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Brendan Kilkenny....revival of the scissors kick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Dana Rosemary Scallions.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Sir Dooyer Owen Ecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

acon2119 wrote: »
    Can you think of any Irish person who caused social change in Ireland in the last 30 years. Someone that there would be lots of info on. Doesn't matter if it was social change for the good or bad. Not necessarily someone in politics. Any ideas????????

Pat The Hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Homework?
    How about gay Byrne. Mary Robinson. Bishop Casey. Ian Paisley. Mark Zuckerberg. Use your imagination OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Charlie f88king we must tighten are belts Haughey.
    Bertie the boll!x Ahern

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

David Norris
    Mary Robinson
    Micheal Martin
    Gerry Adams
    Dustin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Zig and Zag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Bishop Eamon Casey did so inadvertently-you could probably trace the beginning of the end of the Church here to that scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feichin

Mary Robinson - John Hume - Bob Geldof - Michael O'Leary - Denis O'Brien.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

That dublin chap who did a lot to highlight the drugs problem in dublin in the 80s..died a few years ago...forget his name..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Roy Keane
    For showing us that second rate is no longer acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

David Norris is the first to come to mind. Helped repeal a law that criminalised 10% of the population

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Charlie McCreevys economic policies single handedly caused the property bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

padma wrote: »
    That dublin chap who did a lot to highlight the drugs problem in dublin in the 80s..died a few years ago...forget his name..
    Tony Felloni?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Somebody already mentioned Michael O'Leary - his influence should not be underestimated

Dermot Morgan might have done more than we realised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

padma wrote: »

Tony Gregory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gregory

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Mary Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

This legend of a woman, it cannot be overstated how much this country owes her http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Buckley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

boombang wrote: »

Thats the chap...it came to me after me man mentioned tony felloni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

Thanks for your suggestions. Not too fond of politics but I like some of the other suggestions. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

Homework?
    How about gay Byrne. Mary Robinson. Bishop Casey. Ian Paisley. Mark Zuckerberg. Use your imagination OP.

I do have a shortlist of names already but i thought it would be no harm to ask the good people of Boards.ie for more suggestions. I don't think forums would last long if people didn't participate in discussions. If you were offended by my lack of imagination you should not have wasted your time reading and replying to my post. But thank you for your wonderful input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I do have a shortlist of names already but i thought it would be no harm to ask the good people of Boards.ie for more suggestions. I don't think forums would last long if people didn't participate in discussions. If you were offended by my lack of imagination you should not have wasted your time reading and replying to my post. But thank you for your wonderful input.

Well, if that's your attitude... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

john gilligan, brought about the CAB:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Willie Birmingham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Veronica Guerin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Father Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Twink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ray McSharry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

This legend of a woman, it cannot be overstated how much this country owes her http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Buckley

Plus a million

Advertisement