Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the areas that would suit my family best to live?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm looking for some help/advice I am currently applying for a course in ucc of which part of it is in the uch. Course starts in 6 months my husband could transfer his job down there (we're living in the west at present) where he would be working close to airport.

I have two children one of which is starting school in sept. I'm just wondering where would be the best place to live? I don't want a massive commute but in saving that I wouldn't mind anything up to 30 mins. We will have no family support of any kind when we move there has anyone got any advice obviously will need to sort out childcare which is another big worry for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

madwife wrote: »
    I'm looking for some help/advice I am currently applying for a course in ucc of which part of it is in the uch. Course starts in 6 months my husband could transfer his job down there (we're living in the west at present) where he would be working close to airport.

I have two children one of which is starting school in sept. I'm just wondering where would be the best place to live? I don't want a massive commute but in saving that I wouldn't mind anything up to 30 mins. We will have no family support of any kind when we move there has anyone got any advice obviously will need to sort out childcare which is another big worry for me.

The Lough, Ballyphehane, Turners Cross areas would be good.

They are all only a few minutes from UCC, 10 mins in the car to the Airport, and there are schools and shops nearby also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'd look on the southside (on the city side of the link road)
    Even Ballincollig should have good childcare, cheap rents and relatively close to UCC.
    Traffic from Douglas - especially south of the link road can be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Its the South Ring Road, not the Link Road. The South City Link Road is a completely different road which runs from Eglington Street to the Kinsale Road Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 madwife

So the south side is the best place to look? I'm starting to panic will I need to be putting my dd name down in schools now?

So the south side is the best place to look? I'm starting to panic will I need to be putting my dd name down in schools now?

Not just the best place, as there are plenty lovely places to live in Cork.

It's just with you looking for something close to the UCC and Airport, it may be better suited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

uch meaning the hospital?

I'd try bishopstown, wilton or ballincollig to live.

Many thanks for all the replies.What I mean by best place to live is about where would suit my families requirements. Are all these areas family friendly? I ideally would like a place with a decent garden as I have a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Bishopstown sounds like the best bet. The hospital is in Bishopstown, UCC is walking/cycling distance and the airport is a few minutes drive. Plenty of houses to rent and generally fairly big gardens. Good schools. The downside is that Bishopstown doesn't have much in the way of pubs, cafes, shops etc. compared to other suburbs.

Many thanks for all the replies.What I mean by best place to live is about where would suit my families requirements. Are all these areas family friendly? I ideally would like a place with a decent garden as I have a dog.

Yes, all of those areas would suit families.

The Lough area has The Lough itself, with good green area for playing, and a nice walkway around it as well.

A few minutes from there you have Togher Park, and also Ballyphehane Park.

Either area are well within walking distance of the City Centre.

Most houses around those areas would have decent gardens.

Just to add to to the above, if you want, you could use Google Earth.

It will give you a good idea of the areas, and the gardens.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

okedoke wrote: »
    Bishopstown sounds like the best bet. The hospital is in Bishopstown, UCC is walking/cycling distance and the airport is a few minutes drive. Plenty of houses to rent and generally fairly big gardens. Good schools. The downside is that Bishopstown doesn't have much in the way of pubs, cafes, shops etc. compared to other suburbs.

True enough, but it's an ass's roar from Wilton Shopping Centre, a slightly louder ass's roar from Ballincollig without the hassle, right beside the South Ring, and well serviced by the city buses for the University, etc. Pubs-wise, you've got McCarthy's Bar&Bistro and the Rendezvous on Model Farm Road, and the Bishopstown Bar and the Outpost on the main drag, a.k.a. Curraheen Road. The first three pubs there do half-decent food.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

I have just moved to Cork from Galway, to study a masters in UCC. I didn't know anybody here, or where the best places to live were, but I came across a room in a lovely house in Deer park, Friar's walk, which is in the Ballyphehane area. I'm living here almost three weeks now and I love it. It is a 15 min walk to UCC, 10 min walk into town, within walking distance of the Lough (stunning lake and wildlife), it's a quiet and dog/child friendly estate with plenty of green area, close to CUH and airport also. I would highly recommend looking around this area for somewhere, and do not panic! Cork is a lovely place :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭.red.

One thing id consider before deciding on a location is shift times. If shifts/working hours arent "normal" 9-5 then anywhere in cork would do. I live in a little village in the country and love it. Nice family location and im into work at the airport in less than 25mins cos the roads are good and im not travelling at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I would recommend The Lough, Deerpark, Wilton. CUH is in Wilton. The Lough is within walking distance of both Ucc and CUH. You may be able to get your children into Ucc creche (Creche Cos Laoi). This is also really close to Glasheen School which is fantastic. They also have an aftercare facility in the school. Wherever you intend sending your dd, I would advise contacting the schools immediately. If your husband is going to be near the airport, with you at UCC, without family back up, I would feel Ballincollig is too far away. I would get closer to Ucc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was going to suggest The Lough, Ballyphehane, Deerpark area as well. Lovely areas with loads of outdoor space for playing and walking, good schools, lots of amenities ie. community centres, shops, pubs, restaurants and very close to your desired location. Deerpark in particular would be perfect for your needs. Very family friendly area. Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

pwurple wrote: »
    uch meaning the hospital?

I'd try bishopstown, wilton or ballincollig to live.

If you want to spend half the morning stuck in traffic.

darkdubh wrote: »
    If you want to spend half the morning stuck in traffic.

If you can walk to the hospital, how exactly are you stuck in traffic?

Thanks so much for the replies! I am so sorry it has taken so long to reply. I have been looking at the course content and it seems I'll be spending most of my time in the maternity hospital am I right I assuming that is part of the CUH? Taking this into consideration is bishopstown, ballyphenane, turners cross, ballincollig the right areas to be still looking?

Wilton and bishopstown would be walking distance, the others would be close by, but cycle/bus/driving distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Thanks so much for the replies! I am so sorry it has taken so long to reply. I have been looking at the course content and it seems I'll be spending most of my time in the maternity hospital am I right I assuming that is part of the CUH? Taking this into consideration is bishopstown, ballyphenane, turners cross, ballincollig the right areas to be still looking?

Yes,Cork University Maternity Hospital (CUMH) is part of the CUH complex.Do you want to be within walking distance of the hospital?.If so your places to look are Bishopstown,Wilton,Glasheen

3 places here off daft to give you an idea of rental prices.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/cottage-mews-glasheen-cork/1434525/
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/woodbrook-bishopstown-cork/1477683/
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/sheares-park-glasheen-cork/1495095/

Have a look here at google maps to give you an idea of proximity.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cork,+Ireland/@51.8856491,-8.4967385,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4844900891beb961:0xa00c7a99731c5d0?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Wilton, Glasheen and Bishopstown is where you need to be looking, as the previous poster mentioned. I've lived in Wilton/Glasheen for the last 45 years and it's so central, in fact I remember the day Jack Lynch turned the sod on CUH. A lot of CUH staff live around the hospital, and I'd see them walking to work. Primary Schools, you have Glasheen NS and there's also a Gaelscoil the other side of the Wilton Shopping Centre. At the WSC there's a modern Library, plus all the shops (Tesco/Penneys etc).

We have an 8 year old and where we specifically are, he wouldn't have friends (as he goes to school out of the area) but I have noticed young families moving into our estate in recent times as more of the older residents pass on. That would be the same for most estates surrounding CUH.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. We are currently down in cork at the minute and I am bewildered to say the least. We have had alook in ballincollig it seems like a nice area when looking at schools the gaelscoil has a waiting list for sept and scoil barra cant guarantee a place either I would be reluctant to go down the single sex schools as then that would mean I would have two school drop offs in the future.

Also with my husbands work he will have to spend a considerable amount of time up the country and seeing as we have no family support he will be under pressure some evenings of the week to pick up the kids a friend of our suggested that rochestown might be a better area to live for accessability areas for my husband coming down from the country.

We also had a llook there area seems nice the local national school is already oversubscribed only option is the new educate together and the crèches are full.

I'm finding the move is incredibly stressful. im at a loss about childcare and schools. Any advice would be most welcome thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

I might be wrong but I think Scoil Spioraid Naoimh have both a boys and girls primary school on the same site, this was they way when I was a pupil there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Glasheen National School has Boys and Girls on the same site, but in different schools.

Bishopstown, Wilton and Glasheen are the areas you should look at IMO.

It would also be useful if school and work were close by. Glasheen School is 5 mins from CUMH.

Hubby can easily get to the Mallow Rd from CUMH and environs:

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/51.889172,-8.5068236/Mallow,+Co.+Cork/@51.8959534,-8.5134444,14z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4844b955db9242eb:0xa00c7a9973212f0!2m2!1d-8.6539164!2d52.1389762?hl=en

CUMH to the Airport is fairly straightforward too.

Rochestown? Absolutely not. Lovely area - but getting to CUMH every day will be a nightmare.

Waterfall might be worth a look also - what's your budget?

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/chatham-waterfall-cork/1502401/

Chickenlittle that is the school in rochestown that is oversubscribed they had the first round of offers nearly a month ago.

Blindstar would the traffic be very bad coming from rochestown for me to cuh? I assume id get there from the south ring road and also if we lived within walking distance of the hospital would my husband no get caught in rush hour traffic both ways going through the city?
    Many thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Rochestown is possibly the worst traffic spot in the city, long traffic jams every morning before you get onto the link. Avoid if possible. If you are going towards the Douglas/Rochestown direction - you would be better off inside the ring road (but not that many houses come up for rent and its the opposite side of the city from CUH).

Thanks okedoke what time in the morning does the traffic start building up? we were looking at rochestown for it to be easier for my husband to reach his job as he sometimes works in meath. its seems impossible to find an area that suits both our needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

I think Bishopstown would be perfect. As has been said, very short walking distance to CUH (and walking distance to UCC) and easy access to the dual carriageway (via Sarsfield Road) to get to the airport.
    Morning traffic can't be avoided entirely. And it's nothing as bad that side of town (west) as it is compared to Douglas/Rochestown (east).
    I don't think Ballincollig would be that convenient in terms of what madwife is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭WHL

I think that you should be east of CUH. If you stay in Ballincollig you will be caught in traffic coming into the city every morning and leaving every evening. You say that you will be going to either UCC or CUH. Where will your husband be working when he is not going up the country. How many days a week/month will he be travelling outside of Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think Bishopstown would be perfect. As has been said, very short walking distance to CUH (and walking distance to UCC) and easy access to the dual carriageway (via Sarsfield Road) to get to the airport.
    Morning traffic can't be avoided entirely. And it's nothing as bad that side of town (west) as it is compared to Douglas/Rochestown (east).
    I don't think Ballincollig would be that convenient in terms of what madwife is looking for.

Sarsfield Road?? Curraheen interchange or Bandon Road Roundabout via Hawke's Road is rather better!

Advertisement