Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

W74255 wrote: »
    Well you see I cant. I'm on the housing list in Dublin, which is only reason I can get rent allowance

You can get rent allowance in a different county & still be on the housing list in Dublin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Most of the houses on that awful site are advertising a "house to let" but the prices reflect "rooms to let" and Daft.ie seem to do nothing about this because it creates a false rental property bubble that they can make money from.

Yeah I agree and had a similar complaint recently on how landlords/estate agents/letting agents were re-uploading the same properties to prevent the daft price tracker from showing the changes. In the end you have to see that the customer in Daft's eyes are these property owners, not the buyers/renters and won't do anything to act against their income base.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Help!!!! wrote: »
    You can get rent allowance in a different county & still be on the housing list in Dublin.

Only in strict circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Gatling wrote: »
    Only in strict circumstances

Not really......I am living in one county & have applied for housing list in another.
    Was informed by person in MABS that there is no reason legally that you cant get rent allowance in different county from one you on housing list

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭W74255

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Not really......I am living in one county & have applied for housing list in another.
    Was informed by person in MABS that there is no reason legally that you cant get rent allowance in different county from one you on housing list

How do I go about getting rent allowance in another county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

How do I go about getting rent allowance in another county

Apply for it from that county, obviously informing your current HSE office that you wish to move claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Sorry for highjacking this thread but I have a query for a friend (not me honest).

They are renting a place out, and the tenant has just lost their job and is looking for rent allowance. The rent is paid monthly and the letting is registered with PRTB so that isn't an issue. Now the query is what way is the rent allowance paid?

Is it paid to the tenant and then they pay it to the landlord? Or do the Dept pay it into the landlords bank account?

Is there any scheme where they pay it into the landlords account? RAS or something? Whatever that is.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sorry for highjacking this thread but I have a query for a friend (not me honest).

They are renting a place out, and the tenant has just lost their job and is looking for rent allowance. The rent is paid monthly and the letting is registered with PRTB so that isn't an issue. Now the query is what way is the rent allowance paid?

Is it paid to the tenant and then they pay it to the landlord? Or do the Dept pay it into the landlords bank account?

Is there any scheme where they pay it into the landlords account? RAS or something? Whatever that is.

Thanks in advance.

It's not quite as simple as that. The rent allowance paid by SW probably wont cover the full monthly rent payment and generally speaking the tenant wont be permitted to make up the difference. In nearly all cases the allowance is paid to the tenant and then passed on to the Landlord but some areas will pay the landlord if a formal request is made because of difficulty by the LL in obtaining the rent from the tenant.
    The RAS scheme is a different thing altogether whereby the local authority take possession of the house for a number of years and guarantee the rent for that period but it must be vacant possession, not with a sitting tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

emeldc wrote: »
    It's not quite as simple as that. The rent allowance paid by SW probably wont cover the full monthly rent payment and generally speaking the tenant wont be permitted to make up the difference. In nearly all cases the allowance is paid to the tenant and then passed on to the Landlord but some areas will pay the landlord if a formal request is made because of difficulty by the LL in obtaining the rent from the tenant.
    The RAS scheme is a different thing altogether whereby the local authority take possession of the house for a number of years and guarantee the rent for that period but it must be vacant possession, not with a sitting tenant.

Slightly off topic, but to RAS look after repairs / deal with problems?

When I looked at it a few years back I asked those exact questions and got extremely vague answers so I ran a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/elmhill-apartments-newcastle-road-lucan-dublin/1490975/

exactly fits the bill for an RA apartment , still in dublin too, if your son stays 3 nights you could get some sort of fold out bed / air mattress till the situation improves

When I looked at it a few years back I asked those exact questions and got extremely vague answers so I ran a mile.

Hmmmmm.....that's what I suspected. I'd love it as an amateur, accidental LL if I could hand it over to them and have security (at the cost of lower rent). But if RAS don't take responsibility for the house, then it just doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Rent allowance as far as I know is paid via check directly to the tenant. They cash it in post office and that money goes towards the rent with the rest they pay themselves.

pj12332 wrote: »
    Rent allowance as far as I know is paid via check directly to the tenant. They cash it in post office and that money goes towards the rent with the rest they pay themselves.

They're not allowed to top up the RA themselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

They're not allowed to top up the RA themselves

He means the minimum contribution they are obliged to pay as part of rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Well you see I cant. I'm on the housing list in Dublin, which is only reason I can get rent allowance

The housing list for single people (Which you are classed as) in Dublin is about 20 years long. No reason to think you will be housed there by being on the list.

My advice would be to move out of Dublin and go on the housing list (and apply again for RA) in an area that its affordable for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Incorrect, the council are quite happy to take on properties Landlords into the Rental Accommodation Scheme where they have a sitting tenant once that tenant is eligible for housing and their claim for housing has been assessed by the council.

The scheme normally works by the council acting as a facilitator for the rent only! apart from the rent being paid by the council each month the landlord is still a landlord and responsible for all repairs and maintenance and the tenant is still responsible for being a good tenant and doing nothing to damage the landlords property.

The local authority don't take any possession of the property but they do guarantee that they will pay rent for the specified period even on a tenant leaving, dying etc but the landlord must undertake to help/not hinder the council in finding new tenants to fill the property if someone leaves. all potential tenants are vetted and Garda checks are done and the landlord will have final say but can't refuse a tenant without good reason just like a tenant can't refuse an offer of a house without good reason.
    No, the tenancy is strictly between landlord and tenant but the council will advise both if a dispute arises and may organise mediation.

If the tenant stops or fails to pay their portion of the rent(set at the normal council rates afaik) to the council the council will then inform the landlord who must issue notice of arrears in the normal way and rising to eviction notice etc after going through the PRTB process.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Incorrect, the council are quite happy to take on properties Landlords into the Rental Accommodation Scheme where they have a sitting tenant

I have it in fuggin writing that they would only take on my property as long as it was vacant. You're not worth arguing with. You're an expert on absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Thanks for that. They are aware that there is a discrepancy in the amount Sw will probably pay, but the question was more about how the money is paid i.e. direct to the tenant and then to the landlord or directly into the landlords account.

Thanks for clearing up about RAS. I only had a vague idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

They took on a property in Waterford with a sitting tennant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    They took on a property in Waterford with a sitting tennant.
    Took one from me in Fingal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I have it in fuggin writing that they would only take on my property as long as it was vacant. You're not worth arguing with. You're an expert on absolutely everything.

foggy_lad's information is correct. Check your local council's website.

The reason why they said that they would only take on your property as long as it was vacant might possibly be that your present tenant isn't eligible to avail of RAS (they would have to have been in receipt of rent supplement for at least 18 months & be on the housing list. If they don't satisfy the eligibility then the property would obviously have to be vacant.

The reason why they said that they would only take on your property as long as it was vacant might possibly be that your present tenant isn't eligible to avail of RAS (they would have to have been in receipt of rent supplement for at least 18 months & be on the housing list. If they don't satisfy the eligibility then the property would obviously have to be vacant.

The tenant was eligible. They were already on rent allowance. I rarely post on things that I don't have personal experience of. Maybe some pen pusher got their facts wrong but it's what I was told both verbally and in writing.
    I couldn't be bothered arguing the rest of his post which seems to be completely made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

it's quite possible that different councils have different policies on this one, and thus that both are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That does seem to be the case, even down ot different wording on RAS agreements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This might help the OP. Maybe they could print this off and enlist help from the local TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

This might help the OP. Maybe they could print this off and enlist help from the local TD?

Contacting TD's doesn't work. I was in touch with several TD's who just sent a letter to the Council and that's all they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

fussyonion wrote: »
    Contacting TD's doesn't work. I was in touch with several TD's who just sent a letter to the Council and that's all they did.

It might. It might not. I've had cause to contact my local TD about various issues in the past, He's always sorted them. Sadly, he's now retired and the replacement is as fat as a seal and twice as useless.

The point is - Not all TD's are the same. It's worth the OP giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Let's focus on the topic on hand and not on attacking other users.

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Hi,

I am being made redundant in a few weeks. I lam separated and live in a rented house. My rent is €600 pm. I have kids that visit, also. The family home is empty and for sale as my ex wife moved out with the kids and lives elsewhere.

Can anyone tell me if I will qualify for rent allowance as I have a share in the family home which is empty. In court the judge advised my ex wife to move back in to the family home with the kids. She has declined this advice.
    Thanks,
    M

Advertisement