Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 06-10-2014 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

When you get rent allowance of 520 per month, if you see a house for 700, do welfare pay you full 520 and you pay balance of 180??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

W74255 wrote: »
    When you get rent allowance of 520 per month, if you see a house for 700, do welfare pay you full 520 and you pay balance of 180??
    No. You are not allowed to rent anything over the maximum for your area even if you can top up yourself. It's against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭W74255

murphaph wrote: »
    No. You are not allowed to rent anything over the maximum for your area even if you can top up yourself. It's against the rules.

I won't be able to find a house for as cheap as 520 per month, so how else do they expect me to find somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I won't be able to find a house for as cheap as 520 per month, so how else do they expect me to find somewhere

As they will put it .That's not there problem .

Does it have to be a house

It's 520 with minimum contribution from you of €30 pw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

I was in a similar position a few years ago. The allowance set is (apparently) based on average rental prices but when I was quoted the allowance, it didn't seem to match up to what was being offered. I have heard the 'logic' as being something along the lines of: if you can afford to top up your rent allowance, you don't need rent allowance. But I would guess that it saves the government a hell of a lot of money if they aren't paying out reasonable rent allowance to people.

Gatling wrote: »
    As they will put it .That's not there problem .

Does it have to be a house

House or apartment....ideally a two bed because I have my son 3 days per week. And in Dublin

• Advertisement

House or apartment....ideally a two bed because I have my son 3 days per week. And in Dublin

You should be looking for a 2 bed apartment does your son stay overnight the 3 days

You won't find it very difficult finding something for that money been honest

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

520 per month won't get you a studio in Dublin at the moment

You should be looking for a 2 bed apartment does your son stay overnight the 3 days

You won't find it very difficult finding something for that money been honest

He does yes, any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Quick search on daft (assuming you want Dublin) shows apartments like:

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/north-richmond-street-dublin-1-dublin/1492323/

That actually doesn't look that bad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

With the allowance having been lowered and prices increasing, and the fact that your child will most likely not be factored in for rent allowance, you are unlikely to find accomodation to suit your situation. This is the sad fact of the matter right now. There are just no rental properties accepting rent allowance within the single person limits since they can get more from private renters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

mrcheez wrote: »
    Quick search on daft (assuming you want Dublin) shows apartments like:

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/north-richmond-street-dublin-1-dublin/1492323/

That actually doesn't look that bad

3 mins later and it's gone.

Your best bet is rearranging your custody arrangement .
    And rent a room somewhere till your back on your feet.

As a dad it kills me to post that .

emeldc wrote: »

Done a search for that chap based off both 1 bed and 2 bed let's 5 came up and none take rent supplement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

emeldc wrote: »

Could have been removed due to incorrect price.

Your best bet is rearranging your custody arrangement .
    And rent a room somewhere till your back on your feet.

As a dad it kills me to post that .

I don't want to share with people I don't know simply because I will be keeping my child over(call it over protective or ott). Citizen advice told me two months ago I could qualify for the single parent one child rent of 850 but I was told otherwise with social. They said its 520, does that mean I can only look a places of 520 +30*4= 640 per month rent.

I don't want to share with people I don't know simply because I will be keeping my child over(call it over protective or ott). Citizen advice told me two months ago I could qualify for the single parent one child rent of 850 but I was told otherwise with social. They said its 520, does that mean I can only look a places of 520 +30*4= 640 per month rent.

No your max is 520.

No your max is 520.

Not a chance of me finding anywhere for that price.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nope, 520 is maximum that's including your 30 contribution. Any way you would consider moving out of Dublin? RA tenants have next to no hope right now with current prices.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Nope, 520 is maximum that's including your 30 contribution. Any way you would consider moving out of Dublin? RA tenants have next to no hope right now with current prices.

Well you see I cant. I'm on the housing list in Dublin, which is only reason I can get rent allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Alas in the current market sharing is the only option in dublin in your price range. Whether you want to or not you simply won't get a one bed (not to mind a two bed) that will take rent allowance at that low rate

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Well you see I cant. I'm on the housing list in Dublin, which is only reason I can get rent allowance

Unfortunately, that's all the advice I have. Hopefully something turns up for you.

Remember if you found a property 1/2 bed that's 520 per month .
    Rent supplement only covers you for 400 and your contribution brings it up to the 520 .

If your not married social will only see you as a single person regardless .

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

If you had a legal arrangement over access does that not change the rent limit to 1 adult + 1 child?

1moreyr wrote: »
    If you had a legal arrangement over access does that not change the rent limit to 1 adult + 1 child?
    Community officer said im down as being single. Doesn't matter about keeping my son over night.

1moreyr wrote: »

No

Because your still a single person who happens to be a dad .

If you were married it may work different .

And welfare don't pay out one parent family payments to 2 different people

No

Because your still a single person who happens to be a dad .

If you were married it may work different .

And welfare don't pay out one parent family payments to 2 different people
    The mother of the child has a full time job

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you on good terms with the mother - any chance that you could become the primary caregiver, and she has weekend access? That way, you could qualify for the higher rate, and she would save on childcare.

Also, go and see your TD. They may not have immediate suggestions, but we (ie the community) need to keep the pressure on them to get the limits made more reasonable.

Lastly, try working every contact you have to try to find someone who knows someone who may have a suitable place that they will let for less than market rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

I don't really have any advice, but I feel for you OP. What a horrible situation to be in, and so many in the same hole I suspect.

I agree with Gatling- your best bet is to give up custody for a while, rent a room in a houseshare until you can get on your feet and afford a private rental for you and your son. That's an absolutely horrible thing to do of course(and giving up custody like that may cause further problems), but what choice do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I wouldn't rule out the idea of renting a room (preferably en suite, or with a bathroom solely for your use.) I wouldn't usually recommend owner-occupied accommodation, as everyone knows the potential downsides to it, but in your case it could work out quite well. It means you'd be living with the same people - no risk of random tenants coming and going. Probably the owner(s) would be more "settled", less chance of parties etc. Some people would probably be quite happy to have a child around the place part-time (which could really work out in your favour if you ever needed a babysitter!!) Also I've seen places rented out by people who have kids of their own, which could be good. It would obviously mean you'd be sharing a room with your son, but I don't think that's a huge problem when he's so young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If they pay €520/month then your maximum will be €520 + €120(your contribution) but most quotes include the applicants contribution so would be €520 maximum.
    Could have been removed due to incorrect price.

Most of the houses on that awful site are advertising a "house to let" but the prices reflect "rooms to let" and Daft.ie seem to do nothing about this because it creates a false rental property bubble that they can make money from.

Advertisement