Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaning of life?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

The meaning of life is to reduce ones individuated entropy.

Something something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭PMBC

Highly doubtful, for the same reason time doesn't go backwards when you reverse your car. :)
    The theory is that after the Big Bang the Universe started expanding. At some stage the force of gravity will overtake the force of expansion and things will move the opposite way, until everything is back as a singularity and it can all happen all over again. An elegant theory, that unfortunately may not be true, because there is not enough matter in the Universe for this to happen. So we keep expanding until the universe is cold, dartk and dead. Depressing.
    Why do we exist?
    My own opinion ranges from Angels cast out of heaven all the way to agreeing with the great philosopher Didactylos who once said 'things just happen, what the hell'.
    I doubt the Universe is examining itself, I would suggest it lacks the conscience to do so. If there is a maker, he simply set up the pins and rolled the ball. What happens once the ball is in motion is out of anyone's control.
    That does not preclude a divine maker or the existence of an immortal soul, but the importance and influence of both have been blown way out of proportion.

The supposed/theoretical reason for the future cold universe and its continuing expansion is 'dark energy' about which, currently, we don't have a clue!
    That and the virtual particles continuously 'popping in and out of existence' have my head spinning. In and out of where I ask myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

To answer the above a little, "in and out of where" you ask, I always looked at that discription of quantum particles as Random Access Memory RAM in a computer. The same way the RAM in a computer exists until it is used to create something in your computer. Where its stored is a kind of ether in the universe.
    Can anybody elaborate on where RAM is stored in a computer?
    Does anybody have any thoughts on my above comparison?

Advertisement