Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meaning of life?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭DeclanJWhite

I like your answers there, Baked Noodle. That's a nice natural view of life. Reminds me of Marcus Aurelius's Meditations as well as Darwin and the general wonder-filled humility of biological thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

There absolutely is no meaning to life. There is meaning to conciousness which; A) Life can get on without and B)Might be able to get on without life.

In fact there can be no meaning to anything prior to and apart from consciousness. Hence in the absence of some kind of God character acting as a conscious prime mover, there is definitively no meaning to the creation event or the macro universe in general.

Of all atheistic philosophers and writers I know of, only Nietzsche addressed this nihilistic insight with seriousness

"I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength!" Neitzsche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Is it really a mystery? The sole purpose of every organism on this planet is to reproduce. I know sometimes we like to think we're above all other organisms, but we're not, it's really that simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I believe the question has been more than adequately answered by Monty Python.
    Of course I could tell you, but no one would believe me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Is it really a mystery? The sole purpose of every organism on this planet is to reproduce. I know sometimes we like to think we're above all other organisms, but we're not, it's really that simple.

At first blush, I would agree intuitively with such a grand sweeping statement. Of course, grand sweeping statements invite criticism, but with such an- let’s face it- unanswerable, and yet fundamental question, I’ll just throw in a few points.

In relation to organism reproduction in terms of evolution, the issue of purpose has to be tackled. Evolution has no purpose ‘in mind’. It is just a process, which retrospectively allows us to see what worked for a species in the past i.e. through virtue of its genes being passed on before dying. We graft our narrative intuitions on to what we see, and ‘look’ for reasons and explanations: the ‘why’s’ and the ‘how’s’ etc. All animals are genetically wired to look for or react to what we humans call ‘causes’, and attribute agency wherever possible; this is socially inculcated and reinforced from the off as well (to the physicalist, this is the basis of supernaturalism, and from there, religion).

The bigger question in relation to reproduction- tied to the assumption of purpose- is; How does one know which particular genetic trait is the ‘sole’ purpose, or even the ‘most important’? Genes are coded molecular instructions to make stuff for an organism. If there is anything that is ‘really that simple’, there it is. So in this regard, the real (physicalist) question is not what is the meaning of life, nor why did genes evolve, but how did genes evolve? No-one knows. But reproduction is a huge sticking point; there is a chicken-and-egg conundrum in genetics- which came first; metabolism or reproduction? Metabolism is the mainstay of an individual organism’s life, supported by structures such as organs etc, but reproduction is the mainstay of the continuation of life. The chances of metabolism and reproductive capacity occurring at the same time would be something like winning the lottery every week of your life. Not impossible, but come on now.

So we could rework the question; what is the higher genetic drive of life- to live, or pass on life? I think this is such a complex empirical project, it probably cannot be answered. It doesn’t stop geneticists from trying though, and more power to them.

The other side of the coin is the philosophical aspect of ‘meaning’. The term is bogged down in the quagmire of philosophy, but from the above, you might guess what my take on it is: There is no meaning to life, except that which we imbue into it. What meaning we imbue is affected cognitively by both our genes (which through genetic instructions build our brains) and the society within which we are born, so our meanings and values shift over time, and across cultures in a dynamic interactionist way. I would concur at this point with postmodernism; there is no grand narrative, including any meaning to life.

It might sound pessimistic, or even nihilistic, to take the view that there is no meaning to life, but that is only to look at one side of the coin. The other side is the lived cognition/ experience of life, in which we actively look for and imbue meaning in the world around us, whether or not we have supernatural/religious cognitive elements in the mix. Another way of saying this is that there is no meaning to/in life, except cognitively; but this is a rich life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Is it not a little vain glorious to imagine that there is some special purpose to our lives? Especially one pre-ordained by the Universe? Especially considering what minuscule specs we are in the grand scheme of things. Not even specs.

Is it not a little vain glorious to imagine that there is some special purpose to our lives? Especially one pre-ordained by the Universe? Especially considering what minuscule specs we are in the grand scheme of things. Not even specs.

I think we lack a pre ordained purpose for sure. On the other hand reckoning the significance of our presence here based on physical scale is ludicrous. As if an intelligent civilization isnt a big deal. We might be the only one anywhere remember. Heard this sentiment from many scientists, It shows more than a little of the priestly instinct i think to try and inject a sense of humility where it manifestly does not belong.

But how is it a big deal if everything gets obliterated by our Sun expanding. When that happens, we, and everything here, will be no deal.

While we are around it's a big deal. Consciousness is the only thing that could possibly count for meaning.

Yes, Gary, it's important to us, but as far as an indestructible value, it has none, it will perish with no one to remember anything, and seemingly that will continue without end, because whatever things change into from the Sun expanding, those new things will still be around. As it said in my huge 3rd year Science textbook, which my old teacher once belted me across the back of the head with, 'nothing can be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form into another'.

Newton got an apple on the head, I got clattered by a big book. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, but I've always known that.

• Advertisement

Interesting how activity on this thread increases with proximity to the weekend...

Dutch_beers.jpg

People have found their own personal meaning in one of those...
    It's an interesting debate, since it can't be proven any which way.

hehe that's true, Doc. Philosophers are notorious drinkers. What about Socrates' very dubious claim to fame that he could drink anyone under the table. That's more Irish than Greek!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dodgygeezer

It's funny, as I saw the title to this thread there is (42) written after it......

haha :-) well we better stop there - oops, I've spoiled it :-D

lol that must've been funny to see that alright, truth at least as strange as fiction! :-D

It's funny, as I saw the title to this thread there is (42) written after it......

Don't panic. As long as you have a towel, you will be alright.
    Personally I think a universe without purpose would be a monumental joke, sadly no one will be there to laugh at it, making it even more tragic.
    I hope there is a purpose, because we come into this world and aim to learn, better ourselves and hopefully improve humankind as a whole. But the existence of premiership footballers and investment bankers seems to fly in the face of that theory.
    Also, the fact that mankind plays out the same conflicts over and over and over again without ever learning the futility of violence and conflict is not an encouraging sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Maybe we humans formed to appreciate said joke/tragedy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DavidRamsay99

The meaning of life is suffering.
    Everything humans do or rather should do is with the aim limiting our suffering, the suffering of others and the suffering of creatures.
    We can claim that everything else is subjective but suffering is not. It is objective. From that starting point we can start making sense of the world.
    We know that nature sucks because it is inherently wasteful.
    Countless species and countless individual organism are born suffer and die.
    Humans appear to be the only species that understands this concept and has tried to escape nature and control it with varied degrees of success.
    If a human life is to be judged it is judged on its contribution to eliminating suffering.
    We therefore honor explorers, warriors, scientists, inventors, politicians and revolutionaries who aim was to push the envelope of human endeavor to make the world a better place.
    Sailors sailed the seas and found new lands, warriors and revolutionaries brought down tyrants and kings, scientists discovered new cures and labor-saving devices, politicians have pushed the interests of their supporters and voters and artists have created beauty.
    In the future we may control the seas and weather and tides and technology may allow us to achieve immortality and explore the furthest reaches of the universe.
    The aim of humans since the beginning of thought has been to change our being and become like God.
    The story of Adam and Eve is about eating the Apple and leaving behind nakedness and ignorance.
    Religion tries to explain suffering as our lot and our punishment for seeking to usurp God.
    What suffering is is a kick in the pants to break free from our shackles and reach higher and higher.
    God is not to be worshiped but rather is who we want to be.
    All seeing all powerful and all knowing and all beneficent.
    The first man to fire a cannon probably blew himself to pieces but now every housewife in America can conceivably have a pistol on her purse.
    Pioneering climbers have been welded to the frozen rocks of mountains to reach peaks which are now surmounted by radio masts.
    Sailors perished from scurvy or drowned when their frail wooden ships were smashed by oceans waves paving the way for vast ships to carry refrigerated food and container goods around the globe.
    A monk in his cell labored with ink and parchment so that today this post could be typed on a laptop.
    Every aspect of our lives can about through the suffering of others long dead.
    The human race exists because our ape ancestors fought other apes and wild animals for supremacy.
    The single cell organism we trace our ancestry to reproduced as did all the countless generations right up until your parents.
    Think of all the dirty nappies and the sleepless nights your parents, grandparents, great grand parents and so on into the mists of time endured?
    They endured all the drudgery because they believed or hope for a better life for those who followed them.
    We have a choice between despair and suicide or childlessness or continuing the fight.

Nature is OK with me, since it is not intentionally cruel. But nearly all the sh*tty things in my life have one source: other people.
    Until we evolve out of our caveman stage, this will not change. We aim to control, keep others down, assert ourselves over them, gather resources and mates. A billionaire is no different to the guy with the biggest cave, having others do his bidding, gathering the most food and the most females. Very few have noble dispositions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭MaxWig

Nature is OK with me, since it is not intentionally cruel. But nearly all the sh*tty things in my life have one source: other people.
    Until we evolve out of our caveman stage, this will not change. We aim to control, keep others down, assert ourselves over them, gather resources and mates. A billionaire is no different to the guy with the biggest cave, having others do his bidding, gathering the most food and the most females. Very few have noble dispositions.

It's because we've evolved out of our caveman stage that we seek to assert ourselves over others.

• Advertisement

MaxWig wrote: »
    It's because we've evolved out of our caveman stage that we seek to assert ourselves over others.

If we where truly evolved we would not seek to impose ourselves on others and control them, it is simply the herd instinct. We want to dominate and lead.
    How do we do that? How do you keep on top of everyone else who also want their shot at power? Either a democratic system as in the west, so you get everyone flinging sh*te at you until they have managed to remove you from power or you get the middle stage countries like Russia and China where the state has so much might, no one can take them on, or you get the truly chaotic countries, where a bloody coup every few years will ensure power transition to whatever tinpot dictator has managed to gather the most weapons and followers.
    Terry Pratchett once said that any person who wants power, should never be allowed to wield it.
    Switching to utopian Star Trek mode :D
    In a truly advanced civilsation, people would work together because it is for the good of all people. People would lead because they want to organise, not because they want to impose their will onto others. Instead of doing your own little bit because with that you get money and can buy more stuff, we would do something because it is greater than our own little self.
    There are people like that, but they are not the majority. We need a few more millennia for that.
    We are still on the step where it is decided if we will terminate ourselves by our own greed, stupidity and lust for power and then we can move on to the next step, where we can move towards being able to survive external threats. Asteroids are nature's way of saying "How's that space program coming along?" :)

I think popular culture, popular science, popular economics are more entrenching than freeing in terms of dominance and power, because they are partly directed by a system of organisation controlled by funding. Funding is made possible by aquisition of power(often seen every day in the exchange of money for goods, where the money is meaningless without the authority and power it is perceived to have, yet has valid connections to visible and material outcomes when used).
    That is a pit of misery for all who fall down the economic ladder. The more you dig to make money to survive, the more you empower that system of thought, that says you must dig your way out of this hole.
    So everyone now is forced to dig this big hole(living for taking, by using money. Someone loses out due to inflationary mechanics) and it is not the money makers(who receive interest on money created. Have a think about that mechanic).
    The apposing force to this might be to build up with created intrinsic value, in the analogy, I guess climbing up on each others shoulders to get out of this hole.
    Competing for work and money forces us to be dominant economically and also socially.

It seems ok at first to work for money. But it should be remembered that while we work and uphold the monetary system, we also condem the losers to homelessness and an uncomfortable existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

^^ On the other hand, it is more than possible to run economies at permanent 100% full employment, given the political will - just think of any economy at a time of major war: No problems then, of getting economies to run flat-out with full employment and highly efficient resource usage, in order to wage a war; the same principle can be applied to e.g. public works, or creating infrastructure needed to transition away from fossil fuels, instead of waging war.

Work is a huge part of what gives meaning to peoples lives, and one of the major problems with our current economic system, is that it is not run with permanent full employment as the goal - the current monetary system (by creating excessive private debt loads over time, that stall economies - as well as restricting government financing) is a large part of the problem here.

I think everyone should be guaranteed the opportunity not just to do work (through e.g. a Job Guarantee program), but to be able to do work that is fulfilling as well (either personally fulfilling, or for the types of work that are judged as less personally fulfilling, more monetarily fulfilling instead - I think 'the markets' would set the correct wages here, in permanent-full-employment economy); and I think most of what is needed to achieve this, is a properly run Job Guarantee program.

There is so much that is wrong with economic thought and practice though - the same stuff that has been wrong for the best part of a century already - that I'm not convinced we'll see anything like this in my lifetime, maybe not even this century; people in general just don't give a toss about it as a topic, to even know that reforming economic thought/practice, is more important a topic than practically any other political topic.

People may feel they have a civic responsibility to be politically informed, but they sure as hell don't seem to feel that way when it comes to economics (which itself is really inseparable from politics); that gets "left to the 'experts'".

Of course the question is, do the people mold the system, or does the system mold the people? It's a bit of a chicken/egg conundrum...

If we where truly evolved we would not seek to impose ourselves on others and control them, it is simply the herd instinct. We want to dominate and lead.

Agree with you that this is a noble and essential aim for humanity. But it is our evolution that causes the bind. The 'herd instinct' is simply the will of the individual hidden in the chaos of numbers.

How do we do that? How do you keep on top of everyone else who also want their shot at power? Either a democratic system as in the west, so you get everyone flinging sh*te at you until they have managed to remove you from power or you get the middle stage countries like Russia and China where the state has so much might, no one can take them on, or you get the truly chaotic countries, where a bloody coup every few years will ensure power transition to whatever tinpot dictator has managed to gather the most weapons and followers.

The one thing that is common among all these systems of power is (wo)man's urge to be lead, rather than to lead. Leaders are more often than not disposed of when we are done with them. But in their place comes the next promise of salvation. And without fail, we put our faith in the new promise. We cannot stand alone. It's all too much! :)
    Terry Pratchett once said that any person who wants power, should never be allowed to wield it.

Wise words. But leaders have power pushed upon them as much as vice versa. All groups move to this system, regardless of the inherent qualities of the individuals within it. We are simply incapable of existing in a system where there is no one to look to/blame/scapegoat/lead etc.
    Switching to utopian Star Trek mode :D
    In a truly advanced civilsation, people would work together because it is for the good of all people. People would lead because they want to organise, not because they want to impose their will onto others. Instead of doing your own little bit because with that you get money and can buy more stuff, we would do something because it is greater than our own little self.
    There are people like that, but they are not the majority. We need a few more millennia for that.
    We are still on the step where it is decided if we will terminate ourselves by our own greed, stupidity and lust for power and then we can move on to the next step, where we can move towards being able to survive external threats. Asteroids are nature's way of saying "How's that space program coming along?" :)

Ah, Utopia! Here's hoping!!

Torakx wrote: »
    It seems ok at first to work for money. But it should be remembered that while we work and uphold the monetary system, we also condem the losers to homelessness and an uncomfortable existence.

I read a really interesting analysis of money recently.

But it pointed out something interesting that I had never really considered.

Money was first thought to be represented by amulets and charms. Pieces of superstitious trinketry that would protect us from this or that. We would visit a priest/shaman/spirit man who would provide us with the protective charm in exchange for some 'stuff'.

Gradually the mana imbued charms came to be made/represented in Gold and Silver. They represented life itself, and protection from evil.

This idea is ingrained in us. It's an ancient idea, but one that persists.

That is, we want money, and want it so much that people will give their goods away to attain it.

Not, we want goods, and so will give our money away to attain it.

Perhaps the representation of 'mana' has switched from the charm/trinket/coin to the commodity, but it is an ancient tendency and one that will be difficult to change

This is from the only man qualified to fully answer the question in the OP:
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

MaxWig wrote: »
    I read a really interesting analysis of money recently.

But it pointed out something interesting that I had never really considered.

Money was first thought to be represented by amulets and charms. Pieces of superstitious trinketry that would protect us from this or that. We would visit a priest/shaman/spirit man who would provide us with the protective charm in exchange for some 'stuff'.

Gradually the mana imbued charms came to be made/represented in Gold and Silver. They represented life itself, and protection from evil.

This idea is ingrained in us. It's an ancient idea, but one that persists.

That is, we want money, and want it so much that people will give their goods away to attain it.

Not, we want goods, and so will give our money away to attain it.

Perhaps the representation of 'mana' has switched from the charm/trinket/coin to the commodity, but it is an ancient tendency and one that will be difficult to change

That is an interesting thought. i'm not sure how much i agree with the latter part, regarding money today and the main issue with it.

It is similar in that money has no intrinsic value(as it is no longer based on gold or silver reserves held). Those promises in money is similar to those of the shaman alright.
    Our need for money i don't see quite the same as the need for protection or any spiritual/religious/superstitious part of our consciousness. Ok maybe protection :) via securing land and food etc.

With money today they create it and sell it to banks on the condition that the banks pay them back the same money later, with interest on top.
    That is the crux of the issue. Because the money can never be paid back with interest as the interest did not exist....
    It is impossible, without giving up something else to match the perceived value of that money. So instead they take our land as payment.
    That is the simple analogy.
    In reality the market is flooded with money soit appears to be possible to pay this interest.
    What is happening is the moneyis just taken from someone else or they lose their land. On the grand scale the analogy is still taking place, most just do not think about it or see it.

If the shamans were taking peoples land as well, then I would consider them to be the root of the issue. Much like the priests in Egyptian times taking power by using superstition and hoarding knowledge.

On the Douglas adams quote posted
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
    I don't think money has helped the issue at all lol
    And I can't blame those who are victims of recession either.

Consider if you wanted to stop using this scam monetary system( it is most definetly a scam, the biggest scam I have witnessed).
    You would be homeless and unable to even aquire food. You might be arrested if you walked out into the countryside to try grow a little food, because you would need money to buy the land.
    You could try live beside one of those canals around the country and maybe grow on a small patch by the water, but you would soon be moved on or arrested.
    There is nowhere to go... you will die on the steets or in a cell maybe.

I know that money is not the only factor here. Another is that we have grown in population size and land is becoming more rare to own as time goes by.
    I do think the industrial age has brought a lot of things, but the price may have been too high. Too much was created in too short a time and someone got really fat hoarding all the resources.
    I think it could be run much better, but unfortunately i alsothink thatthe people taking power most frequently through other people and links are psychopaths and sociopaths who only care for their club memebers and are happy to crush and enslave the rest of the population of the planet. Sonot much has changed overal. Just the bonds are getting tighter around our necks and on a much larger scale.

It is possible now for the rich and powerfull across the ocean in america to buy up our debts here in Ireland at a discounted rate. Take the land through shell companies and corporations and sell it on or just hoard it for later.

A far stretch I think from the days of the shaman.
    Regarding the victims or players in this game who lose out ( the 99%),
    They do enable their own imprisonment and I see that superstitious mechanic to an extent. However I would say that there are many reasons for this ignorance on the whole.
    One being education and mass media.
    The money makers own the governments that run our schools, our colleges get funding from them, our media outlets get funding from them and news!
    They have their hands in everything, pulling the strings.

Lets call it my own personal theory. I've been researching this as a sort of hobby since around 2010 or so. And I don't have a complied list of links and info unfortunately.

i would prefer if money was at the very least brough back to be based on something real. This would prevent the money makers from creating outrageous amounts of debt on something thatdoes not even exist. Without a benchmark there are no limits or worth.
    At any time theycan insist on repayment and we lose land and resources as a result. A global recession in many cases.

We are on the tail end of the last one and there most likely is another coming soon.
    The banks need to pay the man. So they must pull the rug out from us and grab what they can while they can, in order to stay afloat.
    If they dont they will close down and most likely a government will back that debt(like here in Ireland) and another bank will pop up in it's place, with the ability to aquire new amounts of debt from citizens to pay off the interest to the moneymakers(for creating the funding to start said bank).

To attempt to get closer to topic :D
    I think our purpose as humans has been subverted quite a lot with the advent of money(not backed by anything at all) and industrialization(progress).
    Taking an overview of things and considering progress and industrialization as building a tower up into the sky(lol searching for god? babel :P ) I would see it as wise to build out the foundations wider before going too high.
    The current mode of thought seems to be build up and up and up as fast as possible. I think we are going to topple over due to this spirit of "progress".
    A wiser group would build out much wider and slowly go up. So as to stay up.
    The anarchist in me says maybe it is good they build up so fast. Maybe it will fall down faster and allow for a more experienced building next time.
    It is a questionof time and energy maybe. If the tower does not destroy us when it falls, it may have been worth making all these massive mistakes, to learn how to do it right the next time.
    For that reason it might be ok that psychopaths run everything.
    It maybe an important lesson we need to learn the hard way.
    That empathy and love is the highest form of intelligence(something animals know about too apparently), or something along those lines haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I think there are natural inequalities in people, and there are unnatural inequalities. The monetary system simply reflects this. The more capable if fortunate can use their natural advantages to take wealth from the people who are not as capable, thereby increasing the advantage they enjoy and bestowing unnatural advantage upon their their offspring. The offspring may not have the same or equivalent natural advantage, but through inheritance they generally retain the wealth and through nature and nurture they enjoy the advantage bestowed by the fruits of their ancestors.

In the past there was a greater breath of useful skills so people were able to carve out trades or expertise that enabled families to amass wealth in the manufacture of goods and services. Anybody who had wealth and power were happy with the system because the weaker individuals in the family enjoyed a greater quality of life, and the more capable enjoyed more scope and opportunity to achieve.

Less fortunate and less capable people became part of the infrastructure of society and eventually began to enjoy some of the benefits of progress, and through fighting for economic and political justice and with the advent of industrialization became more comfortable so there was wide spread support of the order.

Wars also played a key role in solidifying this order.

Unfortunately, industrialization reduced skilled workers to unskilled laborers and deprived established tradesmen of their means of wealth generation. People became more exposable, and this trend now endangers great sways of people all over the world.

I think as industrialization becomes automated and production disposes of the labor force the political order will reflect the economic reality. As more people find themselves obsolete the monetary system, a system of wealth accumulation through inequality, will become more top heavy as more and more people find they have no more vested interest in participating in the system because the wealth has become unobtainable. Politics is, for the most part the search for sustainability in the unequal system.

The system of credit that was introduced to offset this inevitability has shown it's instability, and futility. The big question is, what will eventually happen? I would like to be optimistic and rewatch some StarTrek, but I fear the answer will be more wars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Basing money on something 'real' i.e. commodities like gold/silver, doesn't actually solve anything - it just means economies will be starved of the money they need to fund production, and you will have long-term-deflation.

You can't base money on commodities, because money has to adapt to the requirements of the economy - if below maximum capacity, fund production with more money; if at maximum capacity, limit the introduction of new money; if in a bubble, remove money from inflating sectors - you can't put artificial restrictions on the availability of money like that, as that just guarantees that you restrict your economy from reaching maximum capacity (in almost exactly the same way that excessive private debt, from the current monetary system, does).

It is correct to point out though, that a big part of the problem with money is that it is loaned out by banks - that is 'debt-based money' which requires interest, with the associated problem that the 'interest' has to come from yet more 'debt-based money' - meaning that it is effectively unsustainable.

The very obvious solution to that is: 'Non-debt-based money' i.e. creating money and spending it, without having an associated debt. Governments could do this to fund public spending, you could even have all citizens in a country provided with a lump-sum.

That is pretty much the only solution which will fix the monetary system - but people seem to try and rationalize not doing that, with simplistic moral arguments ("we can't just give people free money!" - there's actually no economic reason why not; hell, QE is giving finance and the wealthy fúckloads of free money), or by believing lies about how economies work ("government spending using created money? Hyperinflation!" - this is based on ignorance of how inflation works, and there is lots of past precedent of funding in this way, with only normal inflation levels).

The solution is that simple, and it can enable the Job Guarantee program I mentioned above, but people (collectively - even most economists) just have completely no understanding of how the monetary system works, so they believe the idiotic falsehoods/myths that have been taught about money, money creation and inflation (for much of the past century, economists have believed banks give out loans from deposits/savings with a fractional-reserve money-multiplier; this is wrong, the money is just created from nothing, and economists have been stupid enough to hold onto and perpetuate the former myth for 70-80+ years).

I mean it's bizarre - it's easily the one topic, that I've found triggers a greater amount of cognitive dissonance in people, than any other topic in existence. Even deeply religious people can be deprogrammed from their beliefs, with enough persistence, but this particular topic is impenetrable to the vast majority of people.
    I could tell you all about how to fix the monetary system, resolve the economic crisis, and restore economies to full functioning order - but I have absolutely no idea how to solve this last problem, of actually getting people to understand any of the economic problems that need to be fixed, so that it becomes more likely that the solutions actually be enacted within my lifetime.

It (the monetary system) is something that seems to have been (and remains) a fundamental problem with the integrity of democracies worldwide, going back centuries - literally one of the most important aspects of politics and having a functioning democracy that there is - but there's no sign that any wider recognition of this will come about, anytime in the foreseeable future.

Advertisement