Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most boring jobs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

I have worked at an oyster farm for a year and while it wasn't too bad there were times when you'd spend hours at a conveyor belt sorting through these things every day for a few months. What makes these repetitive jobs so terrible is that there is no escape. I would have dreams that consisted solely of me doing my job just like in real life....no weird flights of fancy just me standing there doing my job. Then I'd wake up and do it all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Your 500+ points in the leaving cert is veiled thinly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

hfallada wrote: »
    Retail is the most boring. You are either putting stuff on shelves or dealing with the same questions at the till

What's the most boring job, in your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Them people that stand in the middle of the road trying to sell newspapers. Boring and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I always pity the guys with the stop / start sign as they pity me being held up in traffic.

Better than sitting on a fold up stool beside a junction/roundabout, holding a sign directing people to some shop or other...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I spent three weeks walling spuds in a shed two miles from the nearest house with nothing but a Glenn Campbell CD stuck on the Wichita Lineman for company.

I spent three walls weeking spuds in a house two miles from the nearest shed with nothing but a CD stuck in Wichita Lineman and Glenn Campbell for company.

Sorry. I felt an uncontrollable desire to rearrange your words there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Packrat

Ive done some very repetitive jobs as part timers or in evenings or sumner holidays from school.
    I found making it competitive ie speed or something helped. I excel at things like putting herring into a machine heads down, backs to the left. Problem with that was that it wasn't piece work and after a while one good guy got put with three dopes, necessitating you to keep the speed up.
    Shaking mussels off a line was the worst. That or picking stones, or turning wet hay with a pike.

Id imagine a toll booth operator would be fairly bad.

Talk radio helps with really awful roles where you don't have to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Packrat wrote: »
    Ive done some very repetitive jobs as part timers or in evenings or sumner holidays from school.
    I found making it competitive ie speed or something helped.

You could see how many envelopes you could lick in an hour, then try to break that record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Always feel sorry to the guys who work in the toll booths. No conversation with anyone. On another note I've always wondered is there a toilet in each little booth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Always feel sorry to the guys who work in the toll booths. No conversation with anyone. On another note I've always wondered is there a toilet in each little booth?

Absolutely. The chair they're sitting on is actually a toilet so if you ever pull up and they've a weird expression on their face while you're paying your toll the chances are they're curling one out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

That kind of job sounds fun... I love data entry... :pac:

mewso wrote: »
    Proofreading?

I love that this post was edited :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You could see how many envelopes you could lick in an hour, then try to break that record.

Woah. ..slow down there Armen Tamzarian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

I do proof reading, editing and image/colour/print proofing. I also help with my mother's graphic design business. I write the odd article or two and sometimes write copy. I have to say proof reading text particularly the type of text that pays is one of the most mind numbing things ever. It's usually either forms from things like financial or legal institutions or sometimes technical manuals. On the odd occasion it is something creative.

I want to do more of the writing side hopefully. I have been doing occasional work with a small independent publishing company but they only publish something maybe twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

For you :D

Actually, being a lineman in Wichita sounds fair to middlin' boring in its own right-have we a winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

I don't get out of bed for less than 100k

sleep alot? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Supermarket check out operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I was a bus driver on the shortest route in Ireland... Airport terminal to car park.

The only time it got slightly interesting was when the customs got on the bus in plain clothes and followed a drug smuggler to his car and caught the rest of the gang waiting in the car park for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Kitchen porter. Wash dishes, put away dishes. Bring out dishes. Get more dirty dishes. Just when you think you've washed everything, in comes more, IT NEVER ENDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

Data entry.

Proof reading for a legal firm or insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Don't know about the most boring but the worst has to be

MAMPORRERO !!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Software testing, particularly if it involves mostly manual testing. Disgustingly boring stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Software testing, particularly if it involves mostly manual testing. Disgustingly boring stuff.

Aye. That's where the old adage "Get a tool to do it" comes from! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

That's what my husband does, no wonder he'a always tired and fed up when he gets home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭batistuta9

mauzo! wrote: »
    That's what my husband does, no wonder he'a always tired and fed up when he gets home!

yeah, that's the reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Functional Game Testing...like, trying to jump through a wall while pressing different buttons, or something, all day. Must be a bore.

Also, those guys you see, freezing their asses off, holding a sign saying "Raheem's Super Shoe Shop", with an arrow to helpfully show us which direction we should walk to get to Raheem's Super Shoe Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 out of step

KungPao wrote: »
    Functional Game Testing...like, trying to jump through a wall while pressing different buttons, or something, all day. Must be a bore.

Also, those guys you see, freezing their asses off, holding a sign saying "Raheem's Super Shoe Shop", with an arrow to helpfully show us which direction we should walk to get to Raheem's Super Shoe Shop.

Fight the power.

[QUOTE=KungPao;92519788Raheem's Super Shoe Shop.[/QUOTE]

Fight the power.

KungPao wrote: »
    Raheem's Super Shoe Shop.

Fight the power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

the fun comes in writing software to automate it ª!!

Advertisement