Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most boring jobs

Options
  • 06-10-2014 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭

There are lot of threads about this, however I have a slight twist.

I was in a situation recently and I have come a across one of the most boring jobs in the world, I am not going to say what the job is.

Doing this job you would be most likely in a basement with no view of the outside, doing a mind numbing boring receptive task with a small team, plus for a variety of reasons you would not be meeting any other staff except your small team of say 10 to 15 souls it would be the same all day every day unless you became the boss,.......... the place I was in was also about a 20 min walk to the nearest shops, so you could not even look forward to getting out at lunch time to buy a role!
    now the twist is that the job is relative well paid circa 40k after a few year's

In order to get the job in the first place you would need a degree and it the kind of degree that you would need over 500 points to get in to.

So as a graduate and working there a few months and realising that's it for the next forty years would you run away screaming or would the fact that the job is relatively well paid, permeate and pensionable be enough for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

If I got paid for reading your post, I'd have to say that would be the most boring job in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

mariaalice wrote: »
    so you could not even look forward to getting out at lunch time to buy a role!

Is this some new jobs scandal within FG ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's lab work isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Teaching, pure doddle so it is, boring as hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

There are lot of threads about this, however I have a slight twist.

I was in a situation recently and I have come a across one of the most boring jobs in the world, I am not going to say what the job is.

Doing this job you would be most likely in a basement with no view of the outside, doing a mind numbing boring receptive task with a small team, plus for a variety of reasons you would not be meeting any other staff except your small team of say 10 to 15 souls it would be the same all day every day unless you became the boss,.......... the place I was in was also about a 20 min walk to the nearest shops, so you could not even look forward to getting out at lunch time to buy a role!
    now the twist is that the job is relative well paid circa 40k after a few year's

In order to get the job in the first place you would need a degree and it the kind of degree that you would need over 500 points to get in to.

So as a graduate and working there a few months and realising that's it for the next forty years would you run away screaming or would the fact that the job is relatively well paid, permeate and pensionable be enough for you.

Jaysus it must be fierce boring if you're looking to buy a new job every lunch break.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hole borer. Most boring job ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Moderator of Nature & Birdwatching Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Just role with it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So essentially very boring but relative well paid secure jobs ( not fantastic paid job ) verse trying to find something challenging and interesting.

It a bit existential question have we the right to expect to find our work fulfilling or is it just about the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

endacl wrote: »

At least you're getting somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

endacl wrote: »

Depends whose hole it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Only see ten or fifteen people at work? God love you, I think you might have a Human Rights case there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

The people who have to touch others peoples balls at the security gates at Airports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

If I got paid for reading your post, I'd have to say that would be the most boring job in the world

Sooooo..... Being a mod basically ...

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Winty wrote: »
    The people who have to touch others peoples balls at the security gates at Airports

Get away, they take it in turns :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Only 40K after a few years of that? I wouldn't consider that relatively well paid at all! Unless it's relative to a child worker in a sweatshop.

If it was something that would give a graduate useful experience with a big name company on their cv and allowed me to move into another, better paid and not as soul destroying job in two years, then I guess I'd do it for that long.

Unless I could get the same results from a different role.

I spent three weeks walling spuds in a shed two miles from the nearest house with nothing but a Glenn Campbell CD stuck on the Wichita Lineman for company.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I don't get out of bed for less than 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I always pity the guys with the stop / start sign as they pity me being held up in traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I spent three weeks walling spuds in a shed two miles from the nearest house with nothing but a Glenn Campbell CD stuck on the Wichita Lineman for company.

For you :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Proofreading?

I would generally be it does not matter what you job is, your real life Is outside work!... I think it was the tomb like environment seeing as it was in a basement, with no natural light combined with the repetitiveness of the work. I think it would depressed you after a while.

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I always pity the guys with the stop / start sign as they pity me being held up in traffic.

Very boring job, however you are outside and seeing something going on, some human life going by.

Well.. the days of the hiring fairs and child slavery/labour are long gone.

Well.. the days of the hiring fairs and child slavery/labour are long gone.

More's the pity, there would be a lot less people complaining about being bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Retail is the most boring. You are either putting stuff on shelves or dealing with the same questions at the till

More's the pity, there would be a lot less people complaining about being bored.

Your the same as my sister... now she thinks going to college with no money and having to working in a poorly paid backbreaking job with a horrible boss, and having no choice about working because you wouldn't be able to pay the rent is character forming,... because if you have that experience and you get your first real job your so grateful for a job in a warm place with actual conditions of employment you never complain again!!!

Plus she feels all the moaners in her work were the type who were cosseted all the way through college by their parents.

Not sure if its as simply as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I had a summer job as a young lad that involved standing in really warm attics holding a fire extinguisher in the off chance that a fire might start due to welding work that was taking place. It was so boring and I didn't even get to use the extinguisher once :(

• Advertisement

Your the same as my sister... now she thinks going to college with no money and having to working in a poorly paid backbreaking job with a horrible boss, and having no choice about working because you wouldn't be able to pay the rent is character forming,... because if you have that experience and you get your first real job your so grateful for a job in a warm place with actual conditions of employment you never complain again!!!

Plus she feels all the moaners in her work were the type who were cosseted all the way through college by their parents.

Not sure if its as simply as that.
    Na, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, some people moan regardless, some get on with it regardless, nothing to do with background.

I was just speaking for my own benefit, as I wouldn't have to listen to them. :p

Advertisement