Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Night Show 4/10/14 at 9.40pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Reading back now on a few comments. I've no experience in this situation so i have no idea what's it's like until faced with it, i'm sure i'm talking nonsense therefore.

It's a horrible situation to face and as i said before, i'm not having a go at the couple at all for what they decided. I'm pro choice so they should have been able to gothrough what they had to go through without having to travel abroad on a Ryanair flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

rarity wrote: »
    Of course to be told such a thing about their baby is shocking. I don't in any way think they took the decision lighty. I do think however, that regardless of the baby having zero chance of survival, if that baby that been delivered naturally, the parents could have reconciled themselves with those deformities in a completely different manner. There are many babies born that takes one or two breaths and die immediately after. Parents of those babies can live with themselves knowing they did all they could. The fact they bring the corpse to bed with them every night shouts out to me of guilt. Do you really in all honesty think there were no other choices. The whole delivery by courier thing aswell, really no other choices???

That's the point! They are denied choice! They should have been able to terminate the pregnancy in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Sclosages wrote: »
    Monkey. There was not even a 1% chance of the baby surviving.

Hey Monkey, the ENGLISH doctors said there was even less chance that the feotus would survive than the IRISH doctors said.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Of course to be told such a thing about their baby is shocking. I don't in any way think they took the decision lighty. I do think however, that regardless of the baby having zero chance of survival, if that baby that been delivered naturally, the parents could have reconciled themselves with those deformities in a completely different manner. There are many babies born that takes one or two breaths and die immediately after. Parents of those babies can live with themselves knowing they did all they could. The fact they bring the corpse to bed with them every night shouts out to me of guilt. Do you really in all honesty think there were no other choices. The whole delivery by courier thing aswell, really no other choices???

They have their babies ashes in the room with Them not a corpse
    For them there was no other choice. Let me tell you one certain thing they are far from feeling guilty they know they did the right thing for their baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Parents of those babies can live with themselves knowing they did all they could.

Christ that is such a judgemental line- no wonder people go through so much trauma when they have to put up with shít like that being spouted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

monkey9 wrote: »
    Reading back now on a few comments. I've no experience in this situation so i have no idea what's it's like until faced with it, i'm sure i'm talking nonsense therefore.

It's a horrible situation to face and as i said before, i'm not having a go at the couple at all for what they decided. I'm pro choice so they should have been able to gothrough what they had to go through without having to travel abroad on a Ryanair flight.

I've no fully correct answers. All I can say is that everyone is different and each will have their own ways of coping with such a tough situation. I don't feel I can preach or dictate to the actions of others. I would be conservative in my own actions but I do believe that each person has the right to their own beliefs. Life is hard at times

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I just watched Cait on the plus1. Very disappointing. I've seen middling pub bands do a better job on that song. I saw her in the point around 2004 with The Pogues and she did a cracking job on A Man You Don't Meet Everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rarity

paddy ocon wrote: »
    Wow talk about not seeing Rebecca and Keith for what their feelings were. I have never seen an interviewed totally TWISTED by anyone like you in my whole life.

They do not regret their decision they are angry and hurt that they had to leave their own country.

Good work just joining up now to say what you obviously can't say under your real username

I am not twisting anything. Been a recent browser of boards and decided to join. What exactly are you trying to imply???

Hurt and upset at having to leave their own country, fair enough if that's what you got from the interview. Each to their own. That is certainly not what i got from it. The hurt and pain in their eyes has a lot more to do with their family circumstances rather than having to board a plane imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I am not twisting anything. Been a recent browser of boards and decided to join. What exactly are you trying to imply???

Hurt and upset at having to leave their own country, fair enough if that's what you got from the interview. Each to their own. That is certainly not what i got from it. The hurt and pain in their eyes has a lot more to do with their family circumstances rather than having to board a plane imo.

The eye sees what it wants to see.

efb wrote: »
    Christ that is such a judgemental line- no wonder people go through so much trauma when they have to put up with shít like that being spouted

What always amazes me is how some random person can tell you what is right for your baby. The baby that you wanted and loved so much.
    How can some stranger think they know what is better for you and your baby then you yourself.

I think I need to leave here can't take much more of people like rairty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Lisha wrote: »
    I agree with you so much but consider this; sometimes when the prognosis is so bleak they are told without doubt that the child will have a painful tortured short life experience. Ending the pregnancy can seem much kinder and preferable and simply more merciful than a life of pain and suggesting that will never result in a long life span.

+1 Lisha add to that all the congratulations being offered to the couple on the impending birth by well meaning people asking when the baby is due etc. Life can be very cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

stop being disingenuous

Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow it's all about boarding a plane.

You haven't got the first idea of it. I am also implying that you are coward hiding like the keyboard warrior you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Ulnar

As someone who knows their story personally. Can I just stress a few points,
    As you could see they are heartbroken, their decision was certainly not taken lightly. Her baby was given 0% of surival. She made a decision that god knows no-one would wish to make. When Rebecca stated she was anti abortion like most women she never felt that something like this would fall at her doorstep.

Her reason for sharing her story is to let others know what happens in these situations should you choose the route she took, she's not looking to glorify her choice.

In my OWN personal opinion I'm horrified that each and every day families are left with this choice. I feel that this area certainly needs to be looked at and compassion shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Davy: "You can't promise anything, but it won't be for lack of trying. I can promise you that."

Kept waiting to see Davy suddenly go mental and start roaring at Brendan, would have been some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

cofy wrote: »
    +1 Lisha add to that all the congratulations being offered to the couple on the impending birth by well meaning people asking when the baby is due etc. Life can be very cruel.

In my pregnancies I remember being stunned at the amount of people who asked 'was it a boy or a girl'?
    Everyone assumes it will end in a healthy pregnancy. Quite often it does not for people.
    I cannot imagine knowing I was carrying what would be an non viable pregnancy being congratsted and asked questions by strangers at supermarket checkouts knowing all I was facing was a funeral. And then to be criminalised by traveling and going to a foreign state to obtain a service. It's just too cruel.
    I've been blessed by two healthy children. I also know of the grief of losing a child and what that can do to a couple. ( thankfully not our loss but a close loss all the same)
    Life is cruel , people need kindness and support not judgement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You certainly would imagine he would want to follow up.
    Crumlin are amazing.
    Some conditions are a 100% fatal like ancephaly and others have different spectrums.

He told us 100% that our boy wouldn't survive.

We went to Crumlin at three days old and they told us that they have treated a few other kids with the same syndrome.

There was even another boy running up and down the corridor. You would never know there was anything wrong with him to see him.

Its hard to know what to say about that poor couple tonight. What they suffered before the abortion is hell. Never mind the torture there suffering since.

efb wrote: »

Ah stop spouting out "judgemental" please. I am not judging anyone (never have, never will) but back on ya for judging me and not getting the point of my post. Well done!!! What an inspiring contribution!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I found it very depressing that Brendan had to end such a sad interview with the "in the interests of balance, we have to keep the Iona arseholes happy" nonsense.

What always amazes me is how some random person can tell you what is right for your baby. The baby that you wanted and loved so much.
    How can some stranger think they know what is better for you and your baby then you yourself.

I think I need to leave here can't take much more of people like rairty

I am not telling anyone anything, is this not meant to be an objective discussion board or do you always pull a strop if people don't "agree" with you?

Vety childish but whatever....good luck to you!!

• Advertisement

Mod: Deleted

You saw and listened to them with your own preconceived ideas of what YOU believe is right or wrong.

I have also gone through what Rebecca went through and I am totally at peace and I know I did the right thing by my daughter. I did not want her to suffer. I did not want my 2 other children to suffer a possible further 28 weeks of pregnancy with them knowing their little sister was never going to live.
    I found out at 12 weeks pregnant that my daughter had a fatal condition and that I would more then likely not reach 20 weeks.

I have since gone on to have another daughter who I was told could potentionally have a problem but not fatal. She was born with a cleft palate along with other medical conditions.

I know Rebecca and Keith personally and trust me when I tell you they are angry and upset of being kicked out of their country.

Loosing a baby is the worst thing you will ever go through, but it happens and happens all the time we can't change that. What we can change is how we treat these women that have to go through this. We should be treated and cared for in our own country with our family and friends and not forced to another country.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion as you are, but you are not entitled to claim how this couple feel that is not your right.

I am not telling anyone anything, is this not meant to be an objective discussion board or do you always pull a strop if people don't "agree" with you?

Vety childish but whatever....good luck to you!![/

as I said everyone is entitled to their opinion. You are claiming to know what is going on inside this couples hearts and minds and that is not ok............

Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow it's all about boarding a plane.

You haven't got the first idea of it. I am also implying that you are coward hiding like the keyboard warrior you are.

So I am a coward for having a different point of view. Fair enough, I disagree. This is a online discussion forum so it's not like we can meet up for coffee to discuss. Try not to upset yourself over the fact that not everyone will see things the way you do and that everyone has different opinions, to which they are entitled!!

So I am a coward for having a different point of view. Fair enough, I disagree. This is a online discussion forum so it's not like we can meet up for coffee to discuss. Try not to upset yourself over the fact that not everyone will see things the way you do and that everyone has different opinions, to which they are entitled!!

No you are not a coward for having a different opinion to me. You are a coward for setting up a new name so you could go off on one and tell everyone how guilty this couple feels............

as I said everyone is entitled to their opinion. You are claiming to know what is going on inside this couples hearts and minds and that is not ok............[/quote]

Paddy please I don't claim to.know anything about this couple only to state that in my humble opinion the pain that I saw was not the pain of having to board a plane, to me what I heard was the pain of taking a decision to abort a child with serious deformities that they were told would not survive. To me, this couples sanity, love, happiness, everything, was held hostage by medical "experts" both before and after the abortion. Sometimes maybe natures way is best. That is all.

No you are not a coward for having a different opinion to me. You are a coward for setting up a new name so you could go off on one and tell everyone how guilty this couple feels............

OMG so suspicious!!! First time user and intend to post on other threads also. Do I need your permission????

And sometimes natures way is pure heartache and pain that someone can't go through. It's up to the parents to decide and they will be the ones living with that choice until they die. That is all from me

Good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I also have zero experience in this situation as well so I will attempt to be realistic with my response.

Having a child who was aborted before being delivered by courier is a very grim story. Anyone who is about to have kids right now do have an expectation their child to be healthy all of the time when they are born. But whatever the circumstances that this couple had gone through, unfortunately it didn't happen right for them.

Whatever way they dealt with the issue, going public on a tv show was not the right one to go through. The interview was poor because they should not give Brendan any opportunity be in a capacity to act as counsellor for them. The couple interviewed by Brendan should have gotten professional help with a qualified counsellor instead to get help with this issue because this is one that does not go away overnight as it sounds like a long lasting and painful process to endure for both of them.

I do give them sympathy for the loss of their child as I am lost for words in how he died. Good night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Rarity, you are disgusting.
    You're trying to tell that couple that they should feel guilty.
    THEY DON'T, NOR SHOULD THEY.
    They have nothing to feel guilty about!!!
    You telling them that they feel guilty is doing nothing than showing you up for the lunatic that you are.

• Advertisement

Sclosages wrote: »
    Rarity, you are disgusting.
    You're trying to tell that couple that they should feel guilty.
    THEY DON'T, NOR SHOULD THEY.
    They have nothing to feel guilty about!!!
    You telling them that they feel guilty is doing nothing than showing you up for the lunatic that you are.

Calm down will ya, I am telling nobody nothing but you are using caps lock and telling me I am disgusting/a lunatic!! What does that say about you??? I would never tell people how to.live their lives or get personal. Keep the abuse to ypurself and offline!!!

Advertisement