Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Night Show 4/10/14 at 9.40pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Good job Brendan.. He has a way of being empathetic without fawning all over them like another presenter who shall remain nameless...

Me thinks they should have rang the quiz winner before that last item started..

• Registered Users Posts: 71,779 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

You all right there, Brendan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well myself and my partner were told by a professor that our baby wouldn't survive birth.

Told us at our last appointment to arrange a funeral.

He will celebrate he's 8th birthday after Christmas.

There not always right.

(S)He seemed to have a great bedside manner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

My sympathies go out to couples who are in the position this couple are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

There's some people would rather say a good prayer or two than believe 100% fact from a doctor.

She had an abortion. She is now on telly saying she doesn't believe in abortion and selling how hard it was for her to have an abortion abroad. It's hard for everyone who has to travel.

I have sympathy for her but by categorically stating that she does not agree with abortion, is more than a bit hypocritical to be honest. It's like saying "I am an exception - everyone else is doing a bad thing".

And yes, this service should be provided in Ireland and no one should have to travel in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

lufties wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what elmo said about love hate?

I'm slightly inebriated but I heard nothing about love/hate except that Elmo will be nidges right hand man. Maybe I missed something but I don't think so.
    Roll on tomorrow night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Well myself and my partner were told by a professor that our baby wouldn't survive birth.

Told us at our last appointment to arrange a funeral.

He will celebrate he's 8th birthday after Christmas.

There not always right.

Did you have proper testing done??? Did you get 2nd and 3rd opinions ? I hope you made your complaints about such medical misconduct.

I am glad your son is here and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Good job Brendan.. He has a way of being empathetic without fawning all over them like another presenter who shall remain nameless...

Me thinks they should have rang the quiz winner before that last item started..

I couldn't believe his comment to them at the end delivered 'in the interests of balance'
    I thought it was a really really poor interview. There was supposed to be a point to this interview but he couldn't lead the interview properly.It was skirted around.
    His closing comment was disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Good night folks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

efb wrote: »
    (S)He seemed to have a great bedside manner...

He was a gentleman. But there not always right. Don't know how the stress didn't kill mom and child to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I couldn't believe his comment t them at the end delivered 'in the interests of balance'
    I thought it was a really really poor interview. There was supposed to be a point to this interview but he couldn't lead the interview properly.It was skirted around.
    His closing comment was disgraceful.

what was it? RTE are running scared after BAI ruling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I switched over to Graham Norton on TV3 after that was over.

I thought the last interview on Brendan's show was the most depressing and most confusing one I have ever watched.

I thought the last interview on Brendan's show was the most depressing and most confusing one I have ever watched.

What was confusing, I may be able to answere some questions about the situation?
    A lot of people don't know how this whole situation comes about etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Just switched on now, I got a bit of a fright, I thought Graham had his arms in a cast. I need to but the vino away.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I didn't understand that final interview to be honest. If she was so anti-abortion, would she not give birth and hope the doctors were wrong?

She said if there was even a one percent chance, she'd have gone through with it. Well is not a one percent chance hope??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

God what a heart-breaking interview.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I didn't understand that final interview to be honest. If she was so anti-abortion, would she not give birth and hope the doctors were wrong?

She said if there was even a one percent chance, she'd have gone through with it. Well is not a one percent chance hope??

Did you listen to the interview?

Monkey. There was not even a 1% chance of the baby surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rarity

I feel so desperately sorry for that couple that made the choice to abort their son. It looks like they are living with the nightmare of making a poor judgement. The father looked like he was about to have a break down. How they are living with the stress of that choice is beyond me.

To have their child delivered by courier is no doubt giving them nightmares. They could possibly benefit from bereavement counselling.

The message I got from the interview is that they are not entirely reconciled with their decision and perhaps counselling/guidance should be given to mothers/couples in potential similar situations as to the consequences of such a choice/decision.

from personal experience I know a number of woman that have regretted ever proceeding down the road os abortion. The regret has stayed with them for many many years later. So sad :-(

When you are faced with this situation of knowing your baby will die in utreo or straight after birth, it is a horrendous feeling for some carrying your baby. Every little move you have is a fear that your baby has just died.
    It is stuff of nightmares and the trauma of having a termination is less then carrying your dying child.

For most in this situation it is not a case of a dr looking at your scan and saying " this baby will not live" you have to go through a serious of tests to get a diagnosis. Blood tests amino tests, 2, 3 other medical experts to confirm the fatal diagnosis.

Rebecca was given 0% chance by more then 1 doctor.

• Advertisement

I feel so desperately sorry for that couple that made the choice to abort their son. It looks like they are living with the nightmare of making a poor judgement. The father looked like he was about to have a break down. How they are living with the stress of that choice is beyond me.

To have their child delivered by courier is no doubt giving them nightmares. They could possibly benefit from bereavement counselling.

The message I got from the interview is that they are not entirely reconciled with their decision and perhaps counselling/guidance should be given to mothers/couples in potential similar situations as to the consequences of such a choice/decision.

from personal experience I know a number of woman that have regretted ever proceeding down the road os abortion. The regret has stayed with them for many many years later. So sad :-(

Rarity - I don't know how you've come to that conclusion.
    They were told their baby had no mouth, no hands, no feet, would have lungs outgrowing its rib-cage and ZERO chance of survival.
    They were 100% correct in their decision.
    The reason they went on there was clear to me. To try to ensure that no other couple has to endure such a tortuous trip out of the country.
    God, are people insane?

rarity wrote: »

Wow talk about not seeing Rebecca and Keith for what their feelings were. I have never seen an interviewed totally TWISTED by anyone like you in my whole life.

They do not regret their decision they are angry and hurt that they had to leave their own country.

Good work just joining up now to say what you obviously can't say under your real username

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

paddy ocon wrote: »
    Did you have proper testing done??? Did you get 2nd and 3rd opinions ? I hope you made your complaints about such medical misconduct.

I am glad your son is here and healthy.

Ya had the whole spectrum done.

Amniosynthesis being the most horrible of them all.

This professor is now one of the head fellows in the HSE. In the 8 years since its happened he has never even rang to arrange to see us.

You would imagine he would want to try and find out how my boy survived. We had to arrange a meeting with him. Just to tell him out story so maybe another couple wouldn't have to be put through the 5 months of misery we were put through.

Luckily were now dealing with the wonderful Crumlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I couldn't believe his comment to them at the end delivered 'in the interests of balance' I thought it was a really really poor interview..

The car park in ten minutes Yosser.. I'm bringing my nunchucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sclosages wrote: »
    Monkey. There was not even a 1% chance of the baby surviving.

That's what the doctors were saying though. Obviously, they're the experts and i am in no way condemning the couple. But doctors are wrong at times. It's just my thoughts watching the interview. People are told they won't survive this or that but go on to prove medical science wrong.

As i said, it's just my thoughts watching this. The mother said she is very anti-abortion, that's what struck me. If you're so anti abortion, would you not give the child every single chance,no matter how unlikely, to survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Flicked over to Norton in time for the ads.

Anyone else think slow cooked pulled chicken looks and sounds manky?

Ya had the whole spectrum done.

Amniosynthesis being the most horrible of them all.

This professor is now one of the head fellows in the HSE. In the 8 years since its happened he has never even rang to arrange to see us.

You would imagine he would want to try and find out how my boy survived. We had to arrange a meeting with him. Just to tell him out story so maybe another couple wouldn't have to be put through the 5 months of misery we were put through.

Luckily were now dealing with the wonderful Crumlin.

You certainly would imagine he would want to follow up.
    Crumlin are amazing.
    Some conditions are a 100% fatal like ancephaly and others have different spectrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

That's what the doctors were saying though. Obviously, they're the experts and i am in no way condemning the couple. But doctors are wrong at times. It's just my thoughts watching the interview. People are told they won't survive this or that but go on to prove medical science wrong.

As i said, it's just my thoughts watching this. The mother said she is very anti-abortion, that's what struck me. If you're so anti abortion, would you not give the child every single chance,no matter how unlikely, to survive?

I agree with you so much but consider this; sometimes when the prognosis is so bleak they are told without doubt that the child will have a painful tortured short life experience. Ending the pregnancy can seem much kinder and preferable and simply more merciful than a life of pain and suggesting that will never result in a long life span.

• Advertisement

Sclosages wrote: »
    Rarity - I don't know how you've come to that conclusion.
    They were told their baby had no mouth, no hands, no feet, would have lungs outgrowing its rib-cage and ZERO chance of survival.
    They were 100% correct in their decision.
    The reason they went on there was clear to me. To try to ensure that no other couple has to endure such a tortuous trip out of the country.
    God, are people insane?

Of course to be told such a thing about their baby is shocking. I don't in any way think they took the decision lighty. I do think however, that regardless of the baby having zero chance of survival, if that baby that been delivered naturally, the parents could have reconciled themselves with those deformities in a completely different manner. There are many babies born that takes one or two breaths and die immediately after. Parents of those babies can live with themselves knowing they did all they could. The fact they bring the corpse to bed with them every night shouts out to me of guilt. Do you really in all honesty think there were no other choices. The whole delivery by courier thing aswell, really no other choices???

Advertisement