Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near riot over a Midget horse in Finglas

Options
  • 02-10-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

http://youtu.be/D5PMoL57LfI

The council taking away a pony in Finglas nearly sparks off a mini riot

Several Garda cars and the Garda helicopter involved, I've seen less for a murder

They love their pets in Finglas, so they do!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Same in Tallaght, Ballyfermot and Clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That horse looked fairly well looked after to me. Any info on why it was taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

It's a joke on fairness. Try getting a garda car to your house been burgaled or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

A housing estate is no place for a horse imo. They need to be fields where they have the space to run.

The Gardai are in the right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Probably kept on council land I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

They have been grazing on a local grass patch for years, I suppose they didn't have any stables or private land for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

OP, you'd be a great headline writer for one of the rags. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Pig > Horse

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what time of the day is that at?

one lad out brushing his teeth (1.30) and a few in their pjs...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Let them **** off and buy land and build stables like the rest of us had to do, a housing estate is no place for a horse, why don't they keep donkeys and cows if they have such an interest and love of animals ?

• Advertisement

pebbles21 wrote: »
    They have been grazing on a local grass patch for years, I suppose they didn't have any stables or private land for them

Is that something that they're only starting to crack down on now? There's a dozen or more estates around the country that have horses and ponies grazing on public green areas.

I mean it makes sense that it shouldn't be something that's allowed, but it's kinda sad to see a well cared for animal been taken away while hundreds of neglected ones sit in stables around the country, or go unfed for weeks in private fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

first pony making his escape from the trailer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

what time of the day is that at?

one lad out brushing his teeth (1.30) and a few in their pjs...

Could be any time of the day in certain estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

did they put the wrong animal in the horse box??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Thread title meets with my approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭anewme

anncoates wrote: »
    Thread title meets with my approval.

Definitely one of the funniest titles in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

They need to be fields where they have the space to run.
    If that were the case, horses would be seized from every dressage yard in the country. Most serious dressage horses are locked up in stables for most of the day, and are exercised over sand, in enclosed arenas. The same usually applied to racehorses, during training season.

As a rule of thumb, the most professional horse owners won't keep their animals on grass.

It's a massive misconception that horses 'belong' in paddocks, when in reality they 'belong' in 12 x 14 ft boxes.

If horses keep some kids out of prison, then barring serious neglect, I'm all for those kids keeping horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What that video really highlights is the frightening spread of VVS (Vertical Video Syndrome). Worse than Ebola it is.

conorh91 wrote: »
    If that were the case, horses would be seized from every dressage yard in the country. Most serious dressage horses are locked up in stables for most of the day, and are exercised over sand, in enclosed arenas. The same usually applied to racehorses, during training season.

As a rule of thumb, the most professional horse owners won't keep their animals on grass.

It's a massive misconception that horses 'belong' in paddocks, when in reality they 'belong' in 12 x 14 ft boxes.

If horses keep some kids out of prison, then barring serious neglect, I'm all for those kids keeping horses.

I work in an area where there are a lot of horses kept on the green area that we can see from our offices. My boss and another guy ended up having to leave our office and go and offer to buy back a horse where it was being beaten with a pipe and we could not bear to look at it.

Same area on the way home one evening, horse driven to its death on one of those gig things, collapsed on the road, guys detatched the gig and got a van to tow it away before the gardai came....horse left dead on the road.

again same area, horses left to starve to death in muddy fields over Christmas.....

there are more horrible stories of how these horses in these estates are treated than nice ones..........

I am totally against it. A housing estate is no place for a horse. I grew up in a council estate. There were no horses in the Estate and yet I dont think one person went to prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Don't see why they can't allow a certain army unit to come in an euthanise these horses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

anewme wrote: »
    I work in an area where there are a lot of horses kept on the green area that we can see from our offices. My boss and another guy ended up having to leave our office and go and offer to buy back a horse where it was being beaten with a pipe and we could not bear to look at it.

Same area on the way home one evening, horse driven to its death on one of those gig things, collapsed on the road, guys detatched the gig and got a van to tow it away before the gardai came....horse left dead on the road.
    Hmm not sure what this has to do with my basic point about horses 'needing' or deserving fields.

Everybody accepts that serious negligence is bad and deserves punishment.

But no knowledgable horse person will claim that a horse "needs" fields, or that depriving a horse of rolling countryside is neglect.

It's townies over-reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm assuming these people do a lot of travelling, boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

So glad that really annoying woman in the white top gets arrested. Had to laugh at her shouting to someone to turn off the cooker, probably worried all her prepay electricity units would be gone when she gets home. My taxes at work, so proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Only in Ireland can it be considered extremely posh to own a horse or else extremely scummy. There's no middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Tis a very thin blue line indeed. Parts of this country are a fcuking powder keg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Hmm not sure what this has to do with my basic point about horses 'needing' or deserving fields.

But no knowledgable horse person will claim that a horse "needs" fields, or that depriving a horse of rolling countryside is neglect.

Us townies won't tolerate stray animals wandering around the streets, thanks. Won't stand by with horses tied up with no access to water or food or otherwise mistreated.

My point is that I dont agree with keeping horses in these Estates at all.

A housing Estate is not a place for a horse.

Also, I dont see how horses in housing estates keep people out of prison. That's a major cop out.

From what I have seen first hand the majority of these horses have a horrible life and death would be a release.

If there is a project like there is in Cherry Orchard (or was not sure if it is still running) that has proper facilities, then by all means yes, but buying horses at the likes of Smithfield and leaving horses tethered on random council or corporation green areas is just not acceptable.

I hate driving through these areas and seeing gangs of young guys galloping up the road with horses with ropes wrapped around them. Its just an accident waiting to happen and my heart goes out to these horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

They should sent in army sniper teams to pick off the feral horses, would probably be doing them a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That loudmouth one in the white top calling all the Gardai animals should take a long hard look at herself. Behaving like an absolute toe rag she is. If a bloke got in a cops face like that calling them F'n Cnuts and and threatening them he'd be dealt with in a second, and rightly so. Any kids around there will think that's how you are supposed to talk to police. Vicious circle.

Advertisement