Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord V's Audi A4

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Seweryn wrote: »
    I don't disagree with you George. And I believe the A4 may be better on fuel driven like for like by the same person on the same roads, etc. I was actually surprised that the Honda achieves better mpg for an average person.

The only thing that comes to mind is that in the above online data base the average A4 was driven harder (by say sales reps and professionals on a hurry) than the Accord.

I can only speak about my own experience in my own Accord - 3 years driving about 18k miles per annum mostly motorway miles at 120-140kmh and averaging 42-44mpg. Now 35k miles in the last 18months on N-roads at 100-110kmh, and averaging 50-52mpg...

And by no stretch of the imagination am I light footed on the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Yours is the old model though.

Yours is the old model though.

Is the newer one LESS fuel efficient? :eek:

Is the newer one LESS fuel efficient? :eek:

So it seems!

So it seems!

Find that hard to believe, the quoted MPG for both models is the same?

• Advertisement

The quoted mpg of most modern diesels is unachievable in real world conditions.

It wouldn't be that surprising if the newer model was harder on fuel. It has a DPF which the old model does not have. It has wider tyres and is a larger car than its predecessor which I assume means it is also heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The new model is also a bigger and heavier car than the old model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I know it will because I've seen it with my own eyes. For the same reason I also know that the Accord won't.

You've made your point. I've made mine. I still stand by my statement that in like for like driving an 09 A4 will do 10mpg more than an 09 Accord. I know that is true because I have driven different examples of both cars on the same commute of mostly motorway driving. The Accord does 6.4l/100km (same as my E280 CDI) and the A4 does 5.4 on the same trip.

How is this calculated?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    How is this calculated?

It's off the on board computer. It's pretty accurate in newer cars in my experience. I know it's accurate on my Merc and on the A4s anyway. I never drove an Accord for long enough to check mpg over a tankful but from seeing how soon €50 worth disappeared I would see no reason to doubt the on board computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

I'm getting 47 on average from my 09 Accord. It very much depends how you drive it, if you are very heavy footed then as has been pointed out here you will struggle for low 40's. My driving would usually be a mix of motorway and N roads doing 20k or so a year. One of my mates has a 09 A4 Sline and I think he's averaging >50. I managed to get a good uk spec Es Gt with sat nav and camera which you won't get on the irish type s afaik.

• Advertisement

It's off the on board computer. It's pretty accurate in newer cars in my experience. I know it's accurate on my Merc and on the A4s anyway. I never drove an Accord for long enough to check mpg over a tankful but from seeing how soon €50 worth disappeared I would see no reason to doubt the on board computer.

My method is much more rudimentary!

There's no on board computer in mine - I buy 10 gallons (45 litres) every time I fill, and I manually reset the trip computer to 0 every time the fuel light comes on, and invariably over the last 18 months I get between 490 and 520 miles between the light coming on... relatively crude but accurate when repeated that many times!

My method is much more rudimentary!

There's no on board computer in mine - I buy 10 gallons (45 litres) every time I fill, and I manually reset the trip computer to 0 every time the fuel light comes on, and invariably over the last 18 months I get between 490 and 520 miles between the light coming on... relatively crude but accurate when repeated that many times!

Rudimentary but effective!

I brim the tank every time in my own car and zero the trip. Then work out the mpg when I fill up. Not every time but most times. The long term average on the dash over the last 65,000km is 7.4l/100km which is 38mpg but I rarely see anything below 40 when I calculate it manually so the OBC seems to be a bit pessimistic if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I've been driving a '10 Accord diesel EX for a year now. I do about 70/30 N Road / Urban driving and get around 44mpg. Reliability wise, the car hasn't missed a beat but it's a big heavy car with plenty of power which doesn't help the MPG. Sit into the car and bring it for a spin and you'll see why. It's not overly fast but there's plenty of poke as you'd expect from a 2.2 litre engine. On top of that, the seats are big and extremely comfortable. My father sat into it last week and couldn't get over how comfy the seats are, he drives a Passat Highline. Also, loads of gadgets - Bluetooth, heated seats, sat nav, reverse camera, all that stuff. I think it looks great and is a relatively rare sight on Irish roads, if you compare it to the A4 at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've been driving a '10 Accord diesel EX for a year now. I do about 70/30 N Road / Urban driving and get around 44mpg. Reliability wise, the car hasn't missed a beat but it's a big heavy car with plenty of power which doesn't help the MPG. Sit into the car and bring it for a spin and you'll see why. It's not overly fast but there's plenty of poke as you'd expect from a 2.2 litre engine. On top of that, the seats are big and extremely comfortable. My father sat into it last week and couldn't get over how comfy the seats are, he drives a Passat Highline. Also, loads of gadgets - Bluetooth, heated seats, sat nav, reverse camera, all that stuff. I think it looks great and is a relatively rare sight on Irish roads, if you compare it to the A4 at any rate.

Thats very true re the Audi's - practically every second car on the road these days is an Audi (on my commute at least) or a VW... i liked having a less popular car :)

Would also agree re the seats and comfort.. and the solidness of the car.. i didnt drive the pre 09 car but the 09 I had (EX model) with leather seats was quite heavy, solid and comfortable.. i would only go for an EX model though as i like the toys and extra comfort... few cool things like memory /heated electric seats, tilting mirrors when you reverse, sunroof and quite a good sat nav unit (i used it for a trip we had in the uk over the summer). If honda would just bring out a new model :)

I got a spin in an Acura in the states recently and its pretty much the same size car and a lot of famillar spec to the Accord.. maybe honda will bring that out over here..

Anyway OP - what did you buy in the end????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thats very true re the Audi's - practically every second car on the road these days is an Audi (on my commute at least) or a VW... i liked having a less popular car :)

Would also agree re the seats and comfort.. and the solidness of the car.. i didnt drive the pre 09 car but the 09 I had (EX model) with leather seats was quite heavy, solid and comfortable.. i would only go for an EX model though as i like the toys and extra comfort... few cool things like memory /heated electric seats, tilting mirrors when you reverse, sunroof and quite a good sat nav unit (i used it for a trip we had in the uk over the summer). If honda would just bring out a new model :)

I got a spin in an Acura in the states recently and its pretty much the same size car and a lot of famillar spec to the Accord.. maybe honda will bring that out over here..

Anyway OP - what did you buy in the end????

No purchase yet ;(.
    Looked at a A4 technic on Saturday love it really until the woman from del monte said NO. Don't like it. Q tears and tantrums from me. She was after driving the 120 bhp with no leather seat and liked it Wtf. She did however like S4 1.6 r design. Clean car to be fair. But I hear to may problems with that 1.6 engine. Looking at Mazda 6 today also S60 1.6. Just war to drive the S60 to see what it drives like. But would probably go for the 2.0 engine over the 1.6.

agree with op, a4 are very common on the road, but that technic was a dam fine car. (Mad)

I was loosing the will to live yesterday. Even started looking at a Corolla. Jaysus what's with only 1.4d engine

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

I've been following this thread now for a while, I bought an A4 2010 in the UK over a year ago with sat nav and revesing sensors and multi media music system. I had been debating on weather to sell it now and go back to get an Accord 2012 but after test driving one last week I've made my mind up that the Accord is the car for me and If I sold my 2010 A4 I could afford a 2012 Accord for the same money. The A4 is a very nice car to drive with143BHP it has a nice enough kick in it to pass out at ease and it is very smooth on the road, I had to get the fly wheel and clutch replaced on it a few months ago and from talking to alot of mechanics it seems that this is one problem that seems to strike the A4 quite frequently around the 60-80k range. It is also efficient on fuel depending on how you drive it, I have 10 trips of 60 miles a week and short journeys in between and I get between 580 miles to 650 miles.

I'm still going to change to the Accord though, and the other half want a change also so she's getting a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback.

Just to update and to Thank to all on here for the feedback,

I made a purchase anyway. And went for none of the above,

Went for a Avensis T4 2,2 150 bhp, in the finish, cant say i was a big fan really but came across it kinda by accident, took it for a drive and really like it,

Saved a few bob in the process, hard to know if the Audi or Accord are 6/7k a better car, but time will tell i suppose,

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭micks_address

Congrats on the purchase,

do you mind me asking what year/mileage is on the Avensis? What sort of mpg does she do?

Cheers,
    Mick
    Ceepo wrote: »
    Just to update and to Thank to all on here for the feedback,

I made a purchase anyway. And went for none of the above,

Went for a Avensis T4 2,2 150 bhp, in the finish, cant say i was a big fan really but came across it kinda by accident, took it for a drive and really like it,

Saved a few bob in the process, hard to know if the Audi or Accord are 6/7k a better car, but time will tell i suppose,

Thanks again

Congrats on the purchase,

do you mind me asking what year/mileage is on the Avensis? What sort of mpg does she do?

Cheers,
    Mick

Thanks.
    10 reg. UK import full service history down to when wiper blades and light bulb change. 1 owner, 100 mls.
    No idea of mpg. As my wife drives it all the time. But i suspect not as good as passat. I have a van for work.

Advertisement