Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Accord V's Audi A4

Options
  • 01-10-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Thinking of changing the car and coming up a few years.
    I would like your view on 2 cars that I quite like a lot.
    '11 Honda Accord Type S 2,2 detec engine with 103 miles Dealer is looking for 14.500 with my own car and 10 Audio A4 2,0 with 75k miles. Dealer is looking for 14k with my own.
    Both cars are valued at 18.500

I will be trading a 06 Passat comfort line model.

Would appreciate any advice or feedback

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Would depend on the spec, condition and service history of the cars.

I'd lean towards the Honda though. A4 is a horribly over-rated car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'd lean towards the Honda though. A4 is a horribly over-rated car imo.

Funny, I think the exact opposite! I can't understand how those Accords fetch the same money as an A4. They aren't in the same league at all IMO.

Opinions eh..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thanks for the replys,
    I have to say i am a big A4 FAN always loved them, but have been driving VW for years i knoe all about the DMF and Electronic hand break problems and to be honest it is kinda putting me of the Audi, still a lovely looking car,

Never really took to mch notice of the Accord but after driving on i do like them, looks really well and drives well,

@MONEYMAKER the Accord is has a great spec, apart from parking sensor and sat nav pretty much has everything else, imo,

Audi is well spected as well so i just dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Personally A4s do nothing for me, they tend to be expensive for what they are, generally modestly equipped and they are on the small side on the inside. The Accord is decently equipped but they are expensive and the diesel isn't the most fuel efficient in it's class.

What about a Passat CC? I think George has a nice example for sale too. ;)

Sold that one last week Bazz ;) What a car it was too, the cleanest we have had this year I reckon. Traded in an Accord against it, coincidentally enough!

Passat CC is a good suggestion though. I would probably have one over an A4.

The Accords are a decent car but too unrefined for my liking. Too much road and engine noise, which is a problem with lots of Japanese cars.They are also pretty hard on diesel compared to the VW/Audi TDIs. Low to mid 40s is about as good as it gets with them. The TDIs will do 10mpg better. To put it in perspective my Mercedes E280 CDI returns similar economy to an Accord and it is a 3.0 V6 auto and must weigh substantially more than an Accord!

I also don't like the interior much. It looks ok and is well screwed together but when you spend some time in the cabin you soon realise the materials used don't compare well to the German cars the Accord is priced against.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Personally A4s do nothing for me, they tend to be expensive for what they are, generally modestly equipped and they are on the small side on the inside. The Accord is decently equipped but they are expensive and the diesel isn't the most fuel efficient in it's class.

What about a Passat CC? I think George has a nice example for sale too. ;)

Accord 50+ mpg No ???

Accocding to the two prics above the A4 is more expensive, ( same price year older ) mind you it has 20klms less on the clock,

Accord has full Honda service from new if that means anything, usually does !

No sure about the Passat cc, need to take one for a drive, would it be any different to the regular Passat ??

Not a hope of getting 50mpg+ from the Accord in normal driving conditions.

The CC shares a lot with the regular Passat but there is a lot of differences too. Inside they only share he basic dashboard and some switchgear with the regular Passat. Get one with the right spec and they look and feel a lot more upmarket than the regular Passat, the A4 feels less impressive next to a decent CC too. My CC is the top GT UK spec with full leather heated electric seats, factory sat nav, Bluetooth, rear privacy glass and dynamic chassis control. VW did really make an effort to distance them

Only downside to the CC is that pre 2011 models were a 4 seater only, the rear middle seat was only introduced in early 2011 but in reality it's only good for adults on short journeys as the centre seat is higher than the other seats at either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah the CC is a much better car. Nicer place to be and more refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭micks_address

You will do well to get 40 out of the Accord - is the type S you are looking at a UK car? The Irish type S is a lower spec'd engine.. 150 versus 170? bhp in the uk type S

Ceepo wrote: »
    Accord 50+ mpg No ???

Accocding to the two prics above the A4 is more expensive, ( same price year older ) mind you it has 20klms less on the clock,

Accord has full Honda service from new if that means anything, usually does !

No sure about the Passat cc, need to take one for a drive, would it be any different to the regular Passat ??

The UK spec ES GT would be close to the Type S 150bhp we got here. Type S 180bhp are rare as hen's teeth and expensive, especially over here.

• Advertisement

You will do well to get 40 out of the Accord - is the type S you are looking at a UK car? The Irish type S is a lower spec'd engine.. 150 versus 170? bhp in the uk type S

Irish car from new 150 bhp.

Seriously are the Accord that hard on juice ??.
    Most of my driving is on country roads 80/20 mix country v town.

Nearly going for Accord as the dealer selling it sold and serviced from new and has a great name in the area. A4 dealer less so

Nearly going for Accord as the dealer selling it sold and serviced from new and has a great name in the area. A4 dealer less so

Yes they are hard on juice... trouble is Honda havent updated the Accord engine since 2008.. so its an older engine.. dont get me wrong.. i loved driving it.. but because of its age it cant keep pace on the fuel economy front...

Honda have a lovely 1.6 diesel engine in the civic/civic tourer. I'm driving a tourer now and getting noticably better fuel economy... about 65mpg as opposed to 40 on the accord.. the engine is 50kg lighter as its a completely aluminium block and its a lighter car so it doesnt feel a lot less powerful than the Accords 150bhp.. verus 120bhp but obviously the car is in a lower class to the Accord..

I dont think I'd buy an Irish Spec S Accord.. I dont see the point..

You dont get much extra over the standard spec car.. the EX is a lovely spec car.. every toy you can think of - full leather/heated/electric seats - sun roof.. nav unit.. etc etc

The whole point of the S spec is more power and you arent getting that here...

I dont think I'd buy an Irish Spec S Accord.. I dont see the point..

You dont get much extra over the standard spec car.. the EX is a lovely spec car.. every toy you can think of - full leather/heated/electric seats - sun roof.. nav unit.. etc etc

The whole point of the S spec is more power and you arent getting that here...

Thanks for the reply.
    Tbh I am not a big petrol head. First up for me is reliability 2nd is reliability as well.
    Have to say I am disappointed to hear of the mpg. Might just be a deal breaker.
    Kinda had my mind made up on the Accord.
    The spec on the A4 ES is probably less than Accord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Drive an 09 Accord myself. can't get any more than 43 44 mpg and that's 80 km of motorway every day @ 120 km/h.

Thanks for the reply.
    Tbh I am not a big petrol head. First up for me is reliability 2nd is reliability as well.
    Have to say I am disappointed to hear of the mpg. Might just be a deal breaker.
    Kinda had my mind made up on the Accord.
    The spec on the A4 ES is probably less than Accord

I'm not talking petrol :)

I only had my Accord for a year and it never missed a beat... i dont think you'd be dissapointed by realibility if its got a good service history and was looked after..

Re the mpg, its a big car.. and lots of power so mpg isnt that bad.. but you can obviously do better.. at the end of the day it comes down to preference.. 10 euro of diesel a week extra probably isnt going to be a deal breaker on the price of a car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

OP, I'm reliably getting 50 - 52 mpg from mine in the last 18months - driving 25k miles, mostly on N-roads. And I don't get overtaken very often.

Prior to that I was driving 60miles of motorway daily, and averaging 42-44 mpg.

Mine is older, 05 ctdi.

I'm not talking petrol :)

I only had my Accord for a year and it never missed a beat... i dont think you'd be dissapointed by realibility if its got a good service history and was looked after..

Re the mpg, its a big car.. and lots of power so mpg isnt that bad.. but you can obviously do better.. at the end of the day it comes down to preference.. 10 euro of diesel a week extra probably isnt going to be a deal breaker on the price of a car
    Tbh I was kinda changing my mind every hour. And to be fair they are both great cars. Both look well and drive well. Reliability is probably a bot better on the Accord, but that doesn't make the the A4 a bad car. A4 is smoother on the road feels a bit more solid better mpg. 66k ml on a 10 reg is nothing. 103 mls on 11 Accord. Not a lot to choose between them I suppose really. Both around the same money give or take a few pound.

BTW is there any independent sites that you can compare mpg

Thanks again for replys

Yes there is this thread where several people have told you that the TDI will do 10mpg better than the Honda.

Yes there is this thread where several people have told you that the TDI will do 10mpg better than the Honda.

Ha ha I take your point !! ;)

I did the old Google search but nothing came up. But just said I would ask.
    not that I was doubting anyone one here.

• Advertisement

A few people have pointed me towards this in the past...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/honda/accord-2008

What about a Volvo S60 D3 OP? Most are well speced and the D3 engine is very reliable and decent on fuel.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What about a Volvo S60 D3 OP? Most are well speced and the D3 engine is very reliable and decent on fuel.

Very fine car
    But the Queen be say no. And in case I didn't mention it before. She wears the pants lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

The only reliable source of information is a user data base, as this one vs this one.

To summarise the average mpg figures are as follows:
    Honda: 44.3 mpg
    Audi: 43.0 mpg

So, very close in real life and by all means not a deal breaker.

There is something odd going on there with those average figures.

If you look down through the Audi figures they are almost all in the 5l/100km range. Almost all of the Honda figures are over 6l/100km. Which would tie in with the experiences posted in this thread. Yet the Honda's average is somehow better. There must be some spurious figures in the Audi list somewhere.

There is something odd going on there with those average figures.

If you look down through the Audi figures they are almost all in the 5l/100km range. Almost all of the Honda figures are over 6l/100km.
    No, almost all figures for Audi are in the 6.2 - 6.7 l/100km range, so the average is correct.

Ah I see now the way the figures are displayed is from lowest to highest.

Doesn't tie in with my experience of both cars though. The Honda figure is about right but an A4 will do a hell of a lot more than 43mpg!

Ah I see now the way the figures are displayed is from lowest to highest.

Doesn't tie in with my experience of both cars though. The Honda figure is about right but an A4 will do a hell of a lot more than 43mpg!
    Sure, it will do. My 17-year old 1.5 petrol engined Honda returns over 48 mpg on average for me (or for my other half). But we are talking about an average fuel economy for an average user. And between 174 drivers it is what it is for the A4.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Sure, it will do.

I know it will because I've seen it with my own eyes. For the same reason I also know that the Accord won't.

You've made your point. I've made mine. I still stand by my statement that in like for like driving an 09 A4 will do 10mpg more than an 09 Accord. I know that is true because I have driven different examples of both cars on the same commute of mostly motorway driving. The Accord does 6.4l/100km (same as my E280 CDI) and the A4 does 5.4 on the same trip.

• Advertisement

I know it will because I've seen it with my own eyes. For the same reason I also know that the Accord won't.

You've made your point. I've made mine. I still stand by my statement that in like for like driving an 09 A4 will do 10mpg more than an 09 Accord. I know that is true because I have driven different examples of both cars on the same commute of mostly motorway driving. The Accord does 6.4l/100km (same as my E280 CDI) and the A4 does 5.4 on the same trip.
    I don't disagree with you George. And I believe the A4 may be better on fuel driven like for like by the same person on the same roads, etc. I was actually surprised that the Honda achieves better mpg for an average person.

The only thing that comes to mind is that in the above online data base the average A4 was driven harder (by say sales reps and professionals on a hurry) than the Accord.

Advertisement