Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Black Swan wrote: »
    Is this the type of reasoning used by Donald Trump when addressing US international relations and diplomacy? If so, then all the warnings of the Harvard Republican Club, Scottish university, Scottish government, and former Republican Governor of Michigan have merit.
    No it's hyperbole. And I'm no diplomat or Trump adviser. Just someone tired of all the anti-Americanism and the thinking they have a say in our politics. It’s easy to do symbolic things for principles that cost nothing and take no sacrifice. It’s when a country puts its money where its mouth is (so to say) that shows their true character. I’m sure people of Scotland had a lot to say about the Gitmo at the time. How many prisoners did they take? I’ll help you out… it rhymes with Nero.

Everyone knows Scotland couldn't handle even a small fraction of our illegal immigrants. How about we just turn over one year's worth of our illegal aliens convicted of crimes - not to do with immigration concerns? That amounts to only about 30,000. That's doable, right? (Again, just hyperbole)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Amerika wrote: »
    No it's hyperbole. And I'm no diplomat or Trump adviser. It’s easy to do symbolic things for principles that cost nothing and take no sacrifice. It’s when a country puts its money where its mouth is (so to say) that shows their true character. I’m sure people of Scotland had a lot to say about the Gitmo at the time. How many prisoners did they take? I’ll help you out… it rhymes with Nero.

Everyone knows Scotland couldn't handle even a small fraction of our illegal immigrants. How about we just turn over one year's worth of our illegal aliens convicted of crimes - not to do with immigration concerns? That amounts to only about 30,000. That's doable, right? (Again, just hyperbole)

Why should Scotland do any of the above ? Just curious

And do you think the USA are the only country with principles ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The 10 most recent polls show Clinton ahead of Trump ranging from 1 to 15 points. As a reminder, national polls are descriptive, and not inferential, as well as having some methodological concerns, so caution should be exercised when reviewing them. Nor should the averaging of different polling organisations with different time frames, sampling, and related methods differences be done; e.g., the "RCP average" showing Clinton ahead of Trump by +7.2 is empirically invalid and unreliable.

Organisation | Taken | Clinton | Trump
    ABC/Wash Post | 1-4 August | 50 | 42
    LA Times/USC | 1-7 August | 45 | 44
    IBD/TIPP | 29 July-4 Aug | 46 | 39
    McClatchy/Marist | 1-3 August | 48 | 33
    NBC/WSJ | 31 July-3 Aug | 47 | 38
    Fox News | 31 July-2 Aug | 49 | 39
    Reuters/Ipsos | 30 July- 3 Aug | 43 | 39
    Economist | 30 July-1 Aug | 46 | 43
    CBS News | 29-31 July | 47 | 41
    CNN/ORC | 29-31 July | 52 | 43

During the Republican primaries, Donald Trump used to constantly point to his lead in the polls over other Republican candidates, so being behind Hillary Clinton must be of concern to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

Future elite establishment well educated republicans won’t endorse the candidate that fights against embarrasses the educated republican establishment. Wow!
    Fixed that for you ;)
    A statement from Kirk Jing, president of Harvard Law School’s Republican group regarding Harvard Republican Club’s letter.

“The Harvard Republican Club speaks for itself, as does their statement." “It fittingly concludes with a fake quote from Tocqueville, misrepresenting both him and Trump to contort reality into fitting ideological clichés. Fortunately, actual Republican voters concluded that elites do not have a right to rule simply because they can recite tired political clichés in lieu of everyday reality.”

According to The Harvard Crimson, the Republican Club polled its own members and found only 10 percent of them were willing to vote for Trump while 80 percent were opposed, which prompted the decision to officially stand against him. They’ll be in plentiful company; a recent non-scientific poll of Harvard students suggested just four percent were willing to vote for Trump while 87 percent planned to vote for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/04/harvard-republicans-use-fake-quote-to-trash-trump

Game. Set. Match.

If you can't get more than 10% of your own support base to vote for you (regardless of whether you deem them to be elitist due to the fact they are pursuing a decent education) what chance have you of convincing the rest of the country?
    When do you think the Nobel committee will strip Barack Obama of his Nobel Peace Prize?
    Don't know and don't care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No it's hyperbole. And I'm no diplomat or Trump adviser. Just someone tired of all the anti-Americanism and the thinking they have a say in our politics.
    You mean like Trump insisting the wall would be paid by Mexico? Or his request to have Russia hack Hillary e-mails and release them? Or does this ring any bells? "If elected, would get Pakistan to free Shakil Afridi in two minutes. I would tell them let (him) out and I'm sure they would let (him) out. Because we give a lot of aid to Pakistan."

Stone and glasshouses...

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »

And do you think the USA are the only country with principles ?

Scotland doesn't have to do anything. And I don't expect they ever would. Just pointing out some hypocrisy. And of course the USA isn't the only country with principles. We just seem to be the ones shedding the most blood and money to back up those principles.

Nody wrote: »
    You mean like Trump insisting the wall would be paid by Mexico? Or his request to have Russia hack Hillary e-mails and release them? Or does this ring any bells? "If elected, would get Pakistan to free Shakil Afridi in two minutes. I would tell them let (him) out and I'm sure they would let (him) out. Because we give a lot of aid to Pakistan."

Stone and glasshouses...

Mexico could always just stop sending her people here illegally so they can send money back home (sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face). Trump didn't request Russia hack Hillary e-mails. You, like so many others, weren't paying attention, apparently. And we give a lot of aid and support around the world, and should get something in return. Now if we didn't give all that money, aid, and military support so countries could spend their own money elsewhere, then yes, we should shut the he|| up. Of course they could always not accept it (again, sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Scotland doesn't have to do anything. And I don't expect they ever would. Just pointing out some hypocrisy. And of course the USA isn't the only country with principles. We just seem to be the ones shedding the most blood and money to back up those principles.

Well if you are pointing out hypocrisy I fail to see it .

You are shedding a lot of blood and money but not to back up any principles I can see . Unless you call extricating the country from an unholy mess it led the way in creating a principle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mexico could always just stop sending her people here illegally so they can send money back home (sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face).
    Since this guy didn't like getting called on his lies by me, can someone ask him where to find Mexico's illegal immigration policy whereby 'they send their people' to the US?

Because otherwise that is all there is. Another in a long, long line of baseless lies by Amerika in this thread. I'm sure we have literally hundreds more to come over the next 3 months.
    Trump didn't request Russia hack Hillary e-mails. You, like so many others, weren't paying attention, apparently.
    Quick refresher for those of us in reality...

And we give a lot of aid and support around the world, and should get something in return.

Now if we didn't give all that money, aid, and military support so countries could spend their own money elsewhere, then yes, we should shut the he|| up. Of course they could always not accept it (again, sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face).
    Aid is not a loan. Unless agreements are made before giving said aid, again Amerika lives in a different realm to the rest of us. If you give a homeless person on the street €10 one week, you don't get to go back with a baseball bat and demand he dances for you the next week.

But Amerika knows this. He does not know how to be subtle about being disingenuous or a liar, however. He's not very good at it, but he certainly does persist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It’s when a country puts its money where its mouth is (so to say) that shows their true character.
    Does this also hold true for the "character" of those campaigning for the country's highest office? Donald Trump has condemned US corporations like Ford, Apple, and Carrier for outsourcing jobs to foreign countries where cheaper Ford, Apple, or Carrier parts were made for lower labour costs. According to you earlier in this thread "The Trump organization is responsible for about 34,000 jobs worldwide," representing how many products and services not "Made in America?" Donald Trump ties and suits made in China, dress shirts in China and Bangladesh, furniture, etc., etc., etc., and over 800 items in the Ivanka Trump fashion line "imported."

"Harvard Trade and Investment Professor Robert Lawrence did a deep dive on the Trump-branded merchandise advertised on Trump.com and found that products made in the U.S. are the exception and not the rule," thereby depriving Americans of those jobs.

And here's the ultimate craic: Donald Trump admits that some of his "Signature Collection" clothing line is Made in Mexico, the same Mexico and its people that Donald Trump has been making so many terrible comments about.

1382428471666124970.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Ok, that's enough. Billy banned for a day. This is a politics forum, people will have opposite views, that doesn't mean you can call them liars. If somebody wants to make a claim like that, post proof and it better be good and unarguable!

Everybody else, tone it back, less posts trying to wind others up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

And I'm no diplomat or Trump adviser. Just someone tired of all the anti-Americanism...

Anti-Trumpism isn't the same thing as anti-Americanism. In fact, there's a compelling case for stating that it's quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

K-9 wrote: »
    Mod:

Ok, that's enough. Billy banned for a day. This is a politics forum, people will have opposite views, that doesn't mean you can call them liars. If somebody wants to make a claim like that, post proof and it better be good and unarguable!

Everybody else, tone it back, less posts trying to wind others up.

Bit unnecessary, he gave a long detailed repose with several links to back up his points and he gets banned for one word at the start of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Bit unnecessary, he gave a long detailed repose with several links to back up his points and he gets banned for one word at the start of it.

Sorry, we really, really frown on calling other posters liars, always have. You just can't have a half serious, decent, relatively civilforum if people start calling others liars over political disagreements. I'm discussing this with billy over pm, you can pm me with any concerns. I do accept he had valid points in the posts btw, there's no need for the liar part though. It's best to discuss it over pm rather than the thread getting derailed with discussion of modding.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I hear in the news both Hillary & Clinton has similar positions with regard NAFTA in that Trump is prepared to walk away from bad deals while Hillary has also become critical of some of the agreements reached during the Democrats period in office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

K-9 wrote: »
    Sorry, we really, really frown on calling other posters liars, always have. You just can't have a half serious, decent, relatively civilforum if people start calling others liars over political disagreements. I'm discussing this with billy over pm, you can pm me with any concerns. I do accept he had valid points in the posts btw, there's no need for the liar part though. It's best to discuss it over pm rather than the thread getting derailed with discussion of modding.

K-9 I've been called a liar multiple times by someone by the name of Billy on this forum where was the warning given to him during that whole time?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0809/807883-us-politics/

Here is a statement from some 50 Republicans who are security experts. Two CIA directors, NSA director and homeland security chief saying that the Trump is unfit to be POTUS he is a security risk.

I have been thinking about this over the past few days and I have noticed that Obama has being saying the same thing even when on stage with other heads off state. And when questioned about whether he would trust the Trump with the info he now he's in his weekly security briefing he was very cautious with his response saying that he would hope that Trump would be a big boy and keep his mouth shut.

I have a feeling that Obama obviously has gotten briefings from the CIA and NSA regarding the Trumps security clearance and these lads are concerned that with Trumps mouth not being able to keep shut he is going to be a security risk. Also I believe that they know he has serious ties with Russia and they are worried he is compromised, they had even people suggesting that Trump is an agent ( unwilling doesn't know himself he is) hence all the soft talk about the Russians. He is a worry for all the security agencies in the states.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭54and56

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    K-9 I've been called a liar multiple times by someone by the name of Billy on this forum where was the warning given to him during that whole time?:mad:

You're a liar KingBrian2, you were never called a liar multiple times by Billy.

(don't mind a one day ban if that makes you happy KingBrian2, I'm off out for the day anyway :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

KingBrian2 wrote: »

If you have a problem with a post, report it.
    You're a liar KingBrian2, you were never called a liar multiple times by Billy.

(don't mind a one day ban if that makes you happy KingBrian2, I'm off out for the day anyway :D)

Banned for one day.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Anti-Trumpism isn't the same thing as anti-Americanism. In fact, there's a compelling case for stating that it's quite the opposite.
    Valid point. I'm sure there are those here that would agree with you, and those that would disagree with you. Trump gave a great speech yesterday. He's a lifelong Democrat and yesterday finally sounded like a Republican. But nobody is talking about his speech. Sadly, only his off-kilter comments get any major coverage. A kind of proof to me that a lot of this Anti-Trumpism is little more than hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Valid point. I'm sure there are those here that would agree with you, and those that would disagree with you. Trump gave a great speech yesterday. He's a lifelong Democrat and yesterday finally sounded like a Republican. But nobody is talking about his speech. Sadly, only his off-kilter comments get any major coverage. A kind of proof to me that a lot of this Anti-Trumpism is little more than hatred.

I had no way of watching the speech. Any links?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hold on a minute. Of course the media are going to give more coverage to the outrageous stuff he says. If I went to a job interview and was totally reasonable and eloquent for 29 minutes but spent one minute ranting about immigration, promoting torture and insulting the interview panel and their families, what part of the interview will stand out in the decision making process?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Trump gave a great speech yesterday.

It was a barely adequate speech in which he made grandiose sweeping statements that he promised to back up at some future date.

I suppose in trump standards it was "great" in that he didnt insult anyone, or branch off on some incoherent tirade.

Brian? wrote: »
    I had no way of watching the speech. Any links?
    Here you go Brian...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump's economics speech full of protests and whiplash-inducing flip-flops

Whilst on the surface, this was a good speech from Trump - Stayed on message , didn't react to the idiot protestors etc. It was still full of contradictions.
      • Says he's going to get rid of Executive Orders just after saying that he'd use Executive orders to put a moratorium on New regulations.
      • Criticises China for having no Environmental regulations then says he will repeal US environmental regulations.
      • Calling for improved protections of US intellectual property. Which is a key goal of the TPP. Which he hates.

And - He said during the speech that people should go to his website for more information on his tax plans, which are nowhere to be found on his website..It was there though before the speech...

Black Swan wrote: »
      Does this also hold true for the "character" of those campaigning for the country's highest office? Donald Trump has condemned US corporations like Ford, Apple, and Carrier for outsourcing jobs to foreign countries where cheaper Ford, Apple, or Carrier parts were made for lower labour costs. According to you earlier in this thread "The Trump organization is responsible for about 34,000 jobs worldwide," representing how many products and services not "Made in America?" Donald Trump ties and suits made in China, dress shirts in China and Bangladesh, furniture, etc., etc., etc., and over 800 items in the Ivanka Trump fashion line "imported."

"Harvard Trade and Investment Professor Robert Lawrence did a deep dive on the Trump-branded merchandise advertised on Trump.com and found that products made in the U.S. are the exception and not the rule," thereby depriving Americans of those jobs.

And here's the ultimate craic: Donald Trump admits that some of his "Signature Collection" clothing line is Made in Mexico, the same Mexico and its people that Donald Trump has been making so many terrible comments about.

1382428471666124970.png

I have been in the apparel business most of my adult life (manufacturing, administration, sales and marketing), so I can comment on this with some authority.

It makes nice headlines and talking points to say Trump apparel is made overseas. But it shows ignorance of the industry. More than 90% of apparel and shoes sold in America are made elsewhere. That is because apparel manufacturing, and the trimming industries (buttons, zippers, etc) industries have pretty much all left the country. Sure there are small specialty shops left here, but nothing much. And only a handful of companies make fabric in America anymore.

Once the apparel jobs stopped, the sewing and cutting machinery was sold off to other countries. So we don't even have the capacity to do it anymore.

One of the biggest problem to not being able to manufacture apparel in America is the ability to keep people employed year-round. Fashion is seasonal (Spring and Fall) and the manufacturing cycle runs the same. So you have about 4-5 months worth of good manufacturing and the remainder of the time involves scrambles to find work for the employees. You can’t manufacture much in advance because of ever-changing fashions, styles, fabrics and tastes of the consumer. Cancellation of orders also runs rampant.

Bottom line, you can’t manufacture apparel or footwear on a large scale in the US anymore.

Don’t believe me? If you live here, go out to stores and try and find any apparel for footwear made in the USA. And if on the odd chance you do, check out the prices, because small run and specialty shops that do manufacture apparel and footwear are extremely expensive.

So save me the tired line Trump doesn't make his clothing in the US. Try and go all Made In America for your clothes and footwear and you'll be going naked (which could be a good thing. ;)).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I have been in the apparel business most of my adult life (manufacturing, administration, sales and marketing), so I can comment on this with some authority.

It makes nice headlines and talking points to say Trump apparel is made overseas. But it shows ignorance of the industry. More than 90% of apparel and shoes sold in America are made elsewhere. That is because apparel manufacturing, and the trimming industries (buttons, zippers, etc) industries have pretty much all left the country. Sure there are small specialty shops left here, but nothing much. And only a handful of companies make fabric in America anymore.

Once the apparel jobs stopped, the sewing and cutting machinery was sold off to other countries. So we don't even have the capacity to do it anymore.

One of the biggest problem to not being able to manufacture apparel in America is the ability to keep people employed year-round. Fashion is seasonal (Spring and Fall) and the manufacturing cycle runs the same. So you have about 4-5 months worth of good manufacturing and the remainder of the time involves scrambles to find work for the employees. You can’t manufacture much in advance because of ever-changing fashions, styles, fabrics and tastes of the consumer. Cancellation of orders also runs rampant.

Bottom line, you can’t manufacture apparel or footwear on a large scale in the US anymore.

Don’t believe me? If you live here, go out to stores and try and find any apparel for footwear made in the USA. And if on the odd chance you do, check out the prices, because small run and specialty shops that do manufacture apparel and footwear are extremely expensive.

So save me the tired line Trump doesn't make his clothing in the US. Try and go all Made In America for your clothes and footwear and you'll be going naked (which could be a good thing. ;)).

Everything you say about the clothing industry is correct and could be said about several other manufacturing/assembly industries as well but surely the point is that this reality is what Trump is claiming he can change?

The whole, "Bring Manufacturing back to America" is simply a fallacy as you have accurately described for your own industry.

So, the jibes at Trump are not so much for the fact that his clothing lines or other items are made in Mexico or China or wherever , they are for the fact that he is claiming that he can make that different somehow.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
      Everything you say about the clothing industry is correct and could be said about several other manufacturing/assembly industries as well but surely the point is that this reality is what Trump is claiming he can change?

The whole, "Bring Manufacturing back to America" is simply a fallacy as you have accurately described for your own industry.

So, the jibes at Trump are not so much for the fact that his clothing lines or other items are made in Mexico or China or wherever , they are for the fact that he is claiming that he can make that different somehow.

Apparel and footwear are gone forever. It is a low start-up cost industry, comprised primarily of a unskilled labor force, and is best suited today for third world countries.

Manufacturing jobs that require a higher level of technology, skilled labor which are better paying jobs, and abundant supplies of local raw materials are the jobs that need to be brought back to America.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

marienbad wrote: »

Presumably he's looking for a small dangerously liberal commie Eurotrash country that's vexed Trump for some reason, and decided that "Ireland" maybe wasn't the best choice for crude stereotypes and sloganising, what with this being a ".ie" website and all.

• Advertisement

Apparel and footwear are gone forever. It is a low start-up cost industry, comprised primarily of a unskilled labor force, and is best suited today for third world countries.

Manufacturing jobs that require a higher level of technology, skilled labor which are better paying jobs, and abundant supplies of local raw materials are the jobs that need to be brought back to America.

What exactly is preventing these jobs being in America today?

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement