Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Go for Leaf

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

That's a mental long post!

You can always wait for the E-Golf, Kia Soul or I3, the I3 having a liquid cooled battery.

The Soul and E-Golf may not need it.

I wouldnt bet on those any time soon
    Called into Kia to get the service done for my cousins 1000cc thing great on fuel.
    Sales rep says earliest will be 2017 for Kia .The new range of 2016 Kia will be 50% less CO2 emission or my lingo sounds like twice as many MPG

If the Kia rep is correct that will push the electric window for economy further out .
    Best I can tell from Renault info basic clio versus ZOE the people that do from 100 to 150 miles per day get the electric to work cheaper than than fuel cars.

Also looked the Irish Leaf info and it is 100,000 kilometers for warranty for battery not 100,000 miles and that some ~60,000 miles

That strongly suggests that ~70,000 miles will be the end of life for Leaf batteries .

For me with cheap costs to do distance I would probably easily rack up the 150miles a day average to get the value from the LEAF car

Battery replacement cost built in every three years looks like each mile with battery replacement will still be about from ~12 to ~18 cents a mile However the maintenance bills I figure with electric will be minimal compared to fuel cars and the always fast charging from free source means no fuel costs even to my house bills

Yeah I can see me in the Leaf in two years get a second hand one and thrash the battery and buy another battery and do that for the next twenty years .Electric cars will be less likly to break up like fuel cars not so many vibrations to kill them .Should be possible to get 1,000,000 miles from a leaf with battery changes ever three years

Assuming €7k for new battery that €2300 per year or € 6 euros a day running costs cheap as chips and that 70,000 mile battery life means 23,000 miles a year and thats all worst case scenario no hidden big bills there accept accident. Cost of battery might easily be half that in few years especially on Ebay where they sell everything including Pruis hybrids batteries at knock down prices

This link is interesting
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1092983_nissan-leaf-battery-cost-5500-for-replacement-with-heat-resistant-chemistry
    The replacement Leaf battery packs will be warranted for 8 years/100,000 miles against defects in manufacturing, and 5 years/60,000 against loss of capacity beyond nine out of 12 bars of capacity, or roughly 70 percent of the original energy content.

Derry

derry wrote: »
    I wouldnt bet on those any time soon
    Called into Kia to get the service done for my cousins 1000cc thing great on fuel.
    Sales rep says earliest will be 2017 for Kia .The new range of 2016 Kia will be 50% less CO2 emission or my lingo sounds like twice as many MPG

If the Kia rep is correct that will push the electric window for economy further out .
    Best I can tell from Renault info basic clio versus ZOE the people that do from 100 to 150 miles per day get the electric to work cheaper than than fuel cars.

Also looked the Irish Leaf info and it is 100,000 kilometers for warranty for battery not 100,000 miles and that some ~60,000 miles

That strongly suggests that ~70,000 miles will be the end of life for Leaf batteries .

For me with cheap costs to do distance I would probably easily rack up the 150miles a day average to get the value from the LEAF car

Battery replacement cost built in every three years looks like each mile with battery replacement will still be about from ~12 to ~18 cents a mile However the maintenance bills I figure with electric will be minimal compared to fuel cars and the always fast charging from free source means no fuel costs even to my house bills

Yeah I can see me in the Leaf in two years get a second hand one and thrash the battery and buy another battery and do that for the next twenty years .Electric cars will be less likly to break up like fuel cars not so many vibrations to kill them .Should be possible to get 1,000,000 miles from a leaf with battery changes ever three years

Assuming €7k for new battery that €2300 per year or € 6 euros a day running costs cheap as chips and that 70,000 mile battery life means 23,000 miles a year and thats all worst case scenario no hidden big bills there accept accident. Cost of battery might easily be half that in few years especially on Ebay where they sell everything including Pruis hybrids batteries at knock down prices

Derry

You can't pay too much attention to the sales people, they're usually not in tune with new products, especially electrics. 2017 is just pure BS !!!

When I was in Windsor Belgard before Leaf MK 1.5 was released, about 3 months before, they had got an clue it was coming out.

The Soul EV is arriving in the U.K this month and it's on their website so at the latest it will probably be January in Ireland.

My bet is that they will still try sell diesel to everyone because they won't want, as they see it, to deal with potential battery issues.

The leaf battery will have a longer than 70,000 mile life, granted it will have reduced capacity but that will vary depending on usage and fast charging habits.

The question is, at 70K miles will it be suitably usable ? this is end of life, when it becomes too inconvenient .

Nissan Ireland will not allow you to buy a new battery as it stands now.

You could import a brand new one, but the cost would most likely be prohibitive.

Buying individual modules or cells is a very risky business, especially so on E-bay !!!

I've read over on priuschat.com of people who got stung in the U.S from companies that went out of business and people didn't get their batteries or dodgy cells. You really must never do this unless you know absolutely they're a reputable company.

Even if you pay several hundred to import batteries, you'll pay several hundred on import taxes of outside the E.U and then if there is a problem you've to ship them back, could be a major headache.

Buy direct from Nissan , my guess is most people won't bother and just flog the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I don't think fast charging has a real effect on the battery life in the Leaf at all based on my experience!

I have only fast charged 26 times in the 3 years and have about 1000 slow charges.

My battery is now at about 86% capacity and more then 50,000 km.

I have seen other Leafs with nearer 100,000km on them with hundreds of fast charges and the same amount of slow charges as mine and they actually have 89% capacity left!

So from that in my mind fast charging does not degrade the battery significantly at all and I am unsure really what does...

reni10 wrote: »
    I don't think fast charging has a real effect on the battery life in the Leaf at all based on my experience!

I have only fast charged 26 times in the 3 years and have about 1000 slow charges.

My battery is now at about 86% capacity and more then 50,000 km.

I have seen other Leafs with nearer 100,000km on them with hundreds of fast charges and the same amount of slow charges as mine and they actually have 89% capacity left!

So from that in my mind fast charging does not degrade the battery significantly at all and I am unsure really what does...

You can't say fast charging has no negative effect in all fairness if you only have 26 fast charges , this isn't going to have much of an impact at all even if you get the battery pretty hot.

Lots of 5-10 min fast charges are ideal but if anyone is fast charging to 90% and beyond multiple times daily then this will have a big impact.

If you charge from 30-70% this is a lot better than to 90% and beyond, especially if the battery is hot.

Sometimes people only need 5-10 mins to get home, so maybe the majority are 5-10 min fast charges, it doesn't tell you how hot the battery got or how many in one day or if they're just 5-10 min top ups.

TO say the car shows 1000 fast charges doesn't tell the whole story what so ever.

Remember here, heat is the key and the most damaging to the battery. If it's not getting hot then fast charging won't be a huge issue.

Equally, saying it has 1000 slow charges doesn't tell the whole story such as how long it's sitting at too high or too low a charge and for how long.

I would say 86% after only 50,000 Kms seems to be a larger loss than usual.

When did you take the reading ? the reading is only really accurate when the (battery) temp is at 20 deg C.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

<snip>

Even if you pay several hundred to import batteries, you'll pay several hundred on import taxes of outside the E.U and then if there is a problem you've to ship them back, could be a major headache.

Buy direct from Nissan , my guess is most people won't bother and just flog the car.

Well normally batteries are shipping by sea not airmail and they are also probably HAZ MAT shipping rates which can be three times normal shipping rates .
    If Nissan Ireland wont sell the batteries packs separate direct and people will have to flog off car with 70,000 miles with batteries that are clapped out resale value of the LEAF in Ireland will plummet through a economic black hole called the scrap heap of history .The potential extra users from second hand sales will be reduced to near non existent .That will kill the LEAF off in Ireland for sure .

Me i got enough abilities to import the battery modules and make new packs to suit the LEAF Then it would suit me if there was some clapped out LEAF with zero reasle value and get it going again for probably ~€7000
    That isnt going to help lift the LEAF to be useful car for the masses in Ireland

Others out there might chose to make another car like series 1 BMW c convert it to use the drive chain of the leaf .

Prices for components are

Motor: $5400
    Inverter: $3900
    Charger: $1700
    DC/DC: $870

Battery$5500 ($1000 for the old battery )

Working on the price to ship leaf to USA ( return journey for cars to UK looks to be about ~€1500 ) fit battery and return Leaf back might be cheapest solution .How would Irish customs be the wiser that new battery was in the old banger leaf it especially if the USA run was done through UK and Leaf would look like it took extra long holiday to UK .
    Germany France or UK also might sell the new packs in the next two years .Lots of ways to skin a cat or Leaf

Derry

• Advertisement

If Nissan Ireland wont sell the batteries packs separate direct and people will have to flog off car with 70,000 miles with batteries that are clapped out resale value of the LEAF in Ireland will plummet through a economic black hole called the scrap heap of history .The potential extra users from second hand sales will be reduced to near non existent .That will kill the LEAF off in Ireland for sure .

I think it it would be over 120,000 miles to 70% for the majority of people who don't do multiple daily fast charging beyond 80% and make it hot.

You'd have to be pretty abusive to the battery for it to loose 30% capacity by 70K miles.

Me i got enough abilities to import the battery modules and make new packs to suit the LEAF Then it would suit me if there was some clapped out LEAF with zero reasle value and get it going again for probably ~€7000
    That isnt going to help lift the LEAF to be useful car for the masses in Ireland

Battery$5500 ($1000 for the old battery )

Working on the price to ship leaf to USA ( return journey for cars to UK looks to be about ~€1500 ) fit battery and return Leaf back might be cheapest solution .How would Irish customs be the wiser that new battery was in the old banger leaf it especially if the USA run was done through UK and Leaf would look like it took extra long holiday to UK .
    Germany France or UK also might sell the new packs in the next two years .Lots of ways to skin a cat or Leaf

Derry

The thing with customs is you never know what they'll charge.

You can import battery cells from wherever you want but at the end of the day if they're bad, you're screwed. If you got to send them back it will cost you a lot as you'll have to pay shipping back to the US and back.

I've seen people get screwed on priuschat.com where they were converting their prius to plug in.

Some people lost a lot of money because of dodgy suppliers, or suppliers going bust.

The best way to do this would be to get a battery in the U.K and send the old one back, but the battery swap is not available in the U.K yet, and may not.

I still think the Kia soul ev would be the best bet for someone who wants to fast charge a lot. I could be wrong of course as only time will tell.

Advertisement