Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 14/15 Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Rew wrote: »
    I just saw a report of a fatal avalanche in La Plagne today. Not much info but involved staff of one of the local ski schools :(

French site reports 3 instructors. 1 didn't make it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Up at the glacier from what I gather using my poor french.

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/alpes/2015/02/07/avalanche-la-plagne-650685.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

It was 14 degrees up in avoriaz today, no wonder there are avalanches considering the amount of snow on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Great day in cervinia today, probably most enjoyable off piste of my life, 20- 30 cm fresh, bluebird, great skies gear and guide.

But the views later on piste were probably as good.

Putting boots away for a while. How long till I start checking weather forecasts, flight prices etc though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

If you want rainbows you have to learn to dance in the rain!

It is dumping snow here!!! My beard is white and frozen

• Advertisement

Village snow

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Thought you meant pikies. A little disappointed if I'm honest.

ha ha, i'll get onto channel 4, they need to progress from those bigfat programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Just back from St Anton, greatest powder day on Monday and Tuesday. Was really good, the obvious stuff gets tracked out very quickly but had a guide for Tuesday - perfect timing. Due another dump of snow and it's well needed.

First time in the resort, it's very 'british' or 'touristy'. The slopes are great, and the access to other resorts is something you don't get in many resorts. My only wish was that it would be that the town itself was more austrian, was hard to get a grostl, ordering in german generally got an british accent of 'i don't speak german'!! Lech was great too, got a good bit of the white ring done - would highly recommend it. Rendl was a bit quieter in general and bit of powder left when other areas were completely tracked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Going to st anton sat fortnight for the third time! Cant wait...
    Which guide did u go with?
    Prob go with poweder club 2 days of the week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

stevire wrote: »
    Just back from St Anton, greatest powder day on Monday and Tuesday. Was really good, the obvious stuff gets tracked out very quickly but had a guide for Tuesday - perfect timing. Due another dump of snow and it's well needed.

First time in the resort, it's very 'british' or 'touristy'. The slopes are great, and the access to other resorts is something you don't get in many resorts. My only wish was that it would be that the town itself was more austrian, was hard to get a grostl, ordering in german generally got an british accent of 'i don't speak german'!! Lech was great too, got a good bit of the white ring done - would highly recommend it. Rendl was a bit quieter in general and bit of powder left when other areas were completely tracked out.

Ah come back to Soll! Lol ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Accommodation in Chamonix secured ... 23 days and counting. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Rendl was a bit quieter in general and bit of powder left when other areas were completely tracked out.

I'd say there is still the mark of me in a stone wall on the run back from rendl back into town, I came down it in a white out, hit a bump and took off straight into it! I hit it almost 2 1/2 foot above the snow level, still don't know how it happened!

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Going to st anton sat fortnight for the third time! Cant wait...
    Which guide did u go with?
    Prob go with poweder club 2 days of the week...

Went with Walter Schmied, he runs the ABC Snowboard company in the town:
    http://www.abc-snowboarding.at/

I'd highly recommend him, took us to some pretty remote spots. A bit of walking/hiking involved (7km in total) but totally worth it.
    fannymagee wrote: »
    Ah come back to Soll! Lol ;-)

Soll was great for food and vintage town feel. Hopefully get back there next season ;)
    I'd say there is still the mark of me in a stone wall on the run back from rendl back into town, I came down it in a white out, hit a bump and took off straight into it! I hit it almost 2 1/2 foot above the snow level, still don't know how it happened!

That's a nice long run back to the village, can get icy towards the end of the day reminds me so much of the bottom run at the Ahorn in Mayrhofen. Didn't notice a stone wall though....!

No shortage of good Grostle in Soll ;-)

After a hard days work I have to put up with this view from my kitchen window while making dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Fattes wrote: »
    After a hard days work I have to put up with this view from my kitchen window while making dinner

Life is tough.

Went with Walter Schmied, he runs the ABC Snowboard company in the town:
    http://www.abc-snowboarding.at/

I'd highly recommend him, took us to some pretty remote spots. A bit of walking/hiking involved (7km in total) but totally worth it.

Soll was great for food and vintage town feel. Hopefully get back there next season ;)

That's a nice long run back to the village, can get icy towards the end of the day reminds me so much of the bottom run at the Ahorn in Mayrhofen. Didn't notice a stone wall though....!

Thanks had a look. Seems expensive is it? Other places are 110 for the day guided incl gps pack...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Ah fattes, you may pack it in, that's inhumane.

Thanks had a look. Seems expensive is it? Other places are 110 for the day guided incl gps pack...

Depends on how many you have I guess? 320e for 5 hours covers 1-4 people, we had a group of 5 and another of 6 so worked out quite cheaper than the other companies. You can get the pieps and pack (non-ABS) for 20e in InterSport. Think it's about 43 for ABS pack, plus a bit extra for pieps, get to the shop early or try sort it out the evening before. They're relaxed about bringing it back but I had to do a bit of hopping around before finding a pack.

• Advertisement

Powder club in st Anton is €10 a head approx for a days pow skiing with a guide!!!

Sorry lads but dusk tonight is out of this world

Before the light left

Only in a ski resort could you and most of your work colleagues be drinking at 1/2 price at 11 PM with 10 am lessons to deliver!

Only in a ski resort could you and most of your work colleagues be drinking at 1/2 price at 11 PM with 10 am lessons to deliver!

Obv never been to Copper's on Teacher's Night ;-)

Some days are just better! Back charging the bumps and having a little dabble off the piste.

We have 5 days of this weather and when the snow comes back I will be off piste and back in the saddle

Powder club in st Anton is €10 a head approx for a days pow skiing with a guide!!!

Sorry lads but dusk tonight is out of this world

Do they supply avi gear too? Prob not...
    Its on wednesdays only right or something lkke that

Do they supply avi gear too? Prob not...
    Its on wednesdays only right or something lkke that

No you got to provide your own, it used to be in Sat am if memory serves me but not 100% sure

Speaking of which with the peak school weeks approaching please be safe out there guys

http://wepowder.com/weblog/5806/Winter-14-15-75-fatalities-due-to-avalanches-so-far

No you got to provide your own, it used to be in Sat am if memory serves me but not 100% sure

Speaking of which with the peak school weeks approaching please be safe out there guys

http://wepowder.com/weblog/5806/Winter-14-15-75-fatalities-due-to-avalanches-so-far

The avalanche listed for Jan 29th in Kitzbuehel is the one I'd mentioned my friends were involved in. The kid was only 18, lasted three days and then died. They're still traumatised, he was alive when they dug him out but it took them 20 mins- his head was 3 meters under and they couldn't find it. Horrific stuff.

Now that's a morning!!!

This link is going to open fully in Aug and will be an excellent safety and education resource of you ski

http://mountainacademy.salomon.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

This link is going to open fully in Aug and will be an excellent safety and education resource of you ski

http://mountainacademy.salomon.com/[/QUOTE]

oh oh, n/g on that test!

Advertisement