Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic in the morning.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ludo wrote: »
    I disagree. Tailbacks heading west I still believe are being caused by kinsale roundabout delays. The delay ALWAYS ends at the kinsale flyover once you are past the exit. There are only 2 lanes from tunnel to Mahon. Then an off ramp, an on/off ramp and then another on ramp . No 3 lanes being funnelled into 2.

There are rarely delays heading east at the Douglas flyover that I have seen other than the odd time when there is a crash or when the tailback starts beyond the Bloomfield exit anyway which a third lane isn't going to help.

Waste of time and money imho without sorting out the more obvious issues first.

Nah, last week excepted (faulty lights apparently), Kinsale Rd very rarely backs up to the Douglas flyover - usually only when there's a crash etc. Heading West, the jams almost always end as you head over the flyover. The flyover jam combines with the Rochestown merging traffic to form a "double jam".

There are tailbacks stretching back from the flyover towards Kinsale Rd most evenings now heading East. Generally the traffic frees up somewhat after the flyover until Mahon. This is a recent phenomenon - only really started this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

I disagree. Tailbacks heading west I still believe are being caused by kinsale roundabout delays. The delay ALWAYS ends at the kinsale flyover once you are past the exit. There are only 2 lanes from tunnel to Mahon. Then an off ramp, an on/off ramp and then another on ramp . No 3 lanes being funnelled into 2.

There are rarely delays heading east at the Douglas flyover that I have seen other than the odd time when there is a crash or when the tailback starts beyond the Bloomfield exit anyway which a third lane isn't going to help.

Waste of time and money imho without sorting out the more obvious issues first.

As auhustus and padraig have said, there's now traffic jams being caused solely by the douglas flyover. Its usually awful in the evening heading east and disappears once you get to the bloomfield interchange.

Not sure how they could widen it to. 3 lanes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

As auhustus and padraig have said, there's now traffic jams being caused solely by the douglas flyover. Its usually awful in the evening heading east and disappears once you get to the bloomfield interchange.

Not sure how they could widen it to. 3 lanes though.

i wonder is it caused by the kinsale/sarsfield flyovers, i know people who before now would avoid that entire road network because they were too afraid to drive around the kinsale road roundabout (magic roundabout) or the sarsfield roundabout,

but now think the new junctions are fabulous, these same people tend to slow down unnecessarily when walls are alongside roads, hence they probably slow down on the douglas flyover when the walls are next to the lanes, came across a guy in a car today driving over the white lines to get away from the side of that flyover,

my biggest pet hate is those who stop at the bridge by douglas church, two cars can fit through side by side but you still get people causing jams in the morning because you have to be right up near the wall there when driving through.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i wonder is it caused by the kinsale/sarsfield flyovers, i know people who before now would avoid that entire road network because they were too afraid to drive around the kinsale road roundabout (magic roundabout) or the sarsfield roundabout,

but now think the new junctions are fabulous, these same people tend to slow down unnecessarily when walls are alongside roads, hence they probably slow down on the douglas flyover when the walls are next to the lanes, came across a guy in a car today driving over the white lines to get away from the side of that flyover,

my biggest pet hate is those who stop at the bridge by douglas church, two cars can fit through side by side but you still get people causing jams in the morning because you have to be right up near the wall there when driving through.

Not sure. All I know is that getting over the douglas flyover in any direction at rush hour has become painfully slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Nah, last week excepted (faulty lights apparently), Kinsale Rd very rarely backs up to the Douglas flyover - usually only when there's a crash etc. Heading West, the jams almost always end as you head over the flyover. The flyover jam combines with the Rochestown merging traffic to form a "double jam".

There are tailbacks stretching back from the flyover towards Kinsale Rd most evenings now heading East. Generally the traffic frees up somewhat after the flyover until Mahon. This is a recent phenomenon - only really started this year.

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree then. We are obviously seeing completely different things regarding west-bound traffic. Maybe it depends on time or travel or something. Because I see the Kinsale Rd backed up to Rochestown most mornings when I hit the SRR at 9.05 on way to work except during summer holidays when it is fine.
    The lack of a hard shoulder/third lane does hinder traffic flow. Can definitely agree to that. I'm just not convinced the expense which would be involved in upgrading it would be worth it without exploring other cheaper options first. i.e. free flow kinsale roundabout.

The fact that between Kinsale roundabout and Bloomfield is also the busiest part of the SRR doesn't help. It is always going to be slower moving as a result. Wild assumption there by the way :-) Open to correction on that but it seems to be the busiest and they are probably two of the busiest junctions.

• Advertisement

Guess we will just have to agree to disagree then. We are obviously seeing completely different things regarding west-bound traffic. Maybe it depends on time or travel or something. Because I see the Kinsale Rd backed up to Rochestown most mornings when I hit the SRR at 9.05 on way to work except during summer holidays when it is fine.
    The lack of a hard shoulder/third lane does hinder traffic flow. Can definitely agree to that. I'm just not convinced the expense which would be involved in upgrading it would be worth it without exploring other cheaper options first. i.e. free flow kinsale roundabout.

The fact that between Kinsale roundabout and Bloomfield is also the busiest part of the SRR doesn't help. It is always going to be slower moving as a result.

I go through at 8. Traffic is crawling from bloomfield until just before the end of the flyover. It then speeds up again before slowing down again for the kinsale roundabout. You're going through it too late to see this happening. It's just fully clogged by the time you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The fact that between Kinsale roundabout and Bloomfield is also the busiest part of the SRR doesn't help. It is always going to be slower moving as a result. Wild assumption there by the way :-) Open to correction on that but it seems to be the busiest and they are probably two of the busiest junctions.

That could be it - I'm hitting it an hour before you (you lazy bastard! ;)).

edit: Kinsale Rd OK this morning; maybe they sorted the lights.

edit: Kinsale Rd OK this morning; maybe they sorted the lights.

douglas was good this morning too, usual areas were slow but nothing time consuming,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Traffic was moving well this morning @ 7:50 going east from Kinsale Rd Roundabout to Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Same, kinsale rd. roundabout was pretty good this morning- 8am. Traffic was slow-ish over the douglas flyover. I was headed westbound

• Advertisement

That could be it - I'm hitting it an hour before you (you lazy bastard! ;)).

:D

It is only 2 mornings a week I hit it at that time when I drop the kids to school. The other three mornings I get in before the traffic so I hit it at 0645 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

very quiet coming into South Ring from Douglas @ 9:10, clearly they sorted out the traffic lights at Kinsale Roundabout.

So traffic all OK this morning when lights fixed other than a minor slowdown. Implication of that is that the Douglas flyover issue is not the lack of a third lane but indeed the problem is caused by the Kinsale Road roundabout.
    Impossible to tell from one day of course....lets see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Here's my question (and I concur that it was much easier this morning): where are these cars coming from and where are they going to? The N25 is a lot busier these days than it used to be, which I assume is down to people moving out of the city and heading for the 'burbs like I did, but what's changed out Kinsale direction in the last 10 years? Is there a lot more people working in various industrial estates out that road now? Since I assume most people coming from Midleton/Dublin directions would continue into town from that side of the tunnel, and the turn right lane on the KRR is seldom backed up, it looks like most of the traffic is turning left off the KRR.

ETA: Actually, just had a thought that you can no longer get to the various estates just past the KRR on the left without going through the roundabout, so that probably contributes too.

Airport business park? How new is that (at least 7 years I know) but is it still growing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I know this is more an "evening" traffic issue rather than "morning"... but should the quay in front of the bus station be two-lanes going East and 1 going West -instead of 2 going West, 1 going (nowhere, but pointing) East currently?

Looking out my window now, there's loads of traffic going East and it's completely backed up, whereas the two lanes going West are very quiet. (What makes matters worse, is you have lots of cars trying to go on straight onto Anderson's Quay but it's blocked up, so cars wanting to turn right onto Clontarf St. are then skipping the line of traffic by driving down along the wrong side of the road). It's causing big tailbacks down along Parnell Place too. If you had two lanes going East, one for going straight onto Anderson's Quay the other for turning right onto Clontarf St. it'd help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

On the radio now people on saying its taking half hour from kinsale road to the tunnel whatever is causing it.

ofcork wrote: »
    On the radio now people on saying its taking half hour from kinsale road to the tunnel whatever is causing it.

3 car collision in the overtaking lane before the douglas exit is what i heard on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Much lighter traffic at 7:57 this morning. Traffic for tunnel was only building up at the Mahon slip road.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Traffic lights have been changed- finally? Have found the kinsake road roundabout and down by the Elysian much better the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Traffic was good this morning. Breezed through the kinsale rd rounabout. But took me 15 mins to get through it at 2pm. I thought there might have been an accident but it didn't look like it.

Douglas was great this morning!

i think we need to run better campaigns in local secondary schools to encourage them to walk or cycle on the new cycle lanes put in all over Douglas! :D

Advertisement