Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Series Ranking

Options
  • 29-09-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all i notice
    Chris Mintern from Cork Tri was dropped to Second place over all on the National Series Ranking, reading his twitter account he didnt seem a happy camper.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Points make prizes.

This is where strategic racing comes into it's own. It doens't necessarily mean the best triathlete wins overall but more those that race smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

AKW wrote: »
    Points make prizes.

This is where strategic racing comes into it's own. It doens't necessarily mean the best triathlete wins overall but more those that race smarter.

makes no sense, he won 5/6 National series Races that he entered, the only one he didn't win was the Middle Distance Tri

how can you race any smarter then putting 5 Races into the bag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

makes no sense, he won 5/6 National series Races that he entered, the only one he didn't win was the Middle Distance Tri

If you look into how points are currently calculated you will see that it has nothing to do with winning or finishing second. It is based on how your time compares to the time of the person who finished 30% down the field. Thankfully this will soon be a thing of the past.

EC1000 wrote: »
    If you look into how points are currently calculated you will see that it has nothing to do with winning or finishing second. It is based on how your time compares to the time of the person who finished 30% down the field. Thankfully this will soon be a thing of the past.

lol what a f..up system,

The way points are calculated if all you race are the top 6 races where everyone races (at the pointy end) your points are going to be rubbish.

EG, Kilkee is the worst race to attend if you are chasing points. Pretty much the top 30% are all premier racers from around the country.

As I said, not about the best triathlete, the smartest wins the points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

lol what a f..up system,

The NS is an age group competition, it was not intended to be "won" over all.

It would be like have the premiership, championship, League one, League two, and Conference and then saying whoever scored the most goals one the lot.

But hey........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Not for 98% of age groupers ;)

Not for 98% of age groupers ;)

As I was typing that I knew you were going to respond :)

makes no sense, he won 5/6 National series Races that he entered,

AFAIR you score from 5 races regardless of how many you do overall.

Looks to me like he was beaten before Pulse Port and Tomasz just had to mark him in that race to hold onto the points lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Hi all i notice
    Chris Mintern from Cork Tri was dropped to Second place over all on the National Series Ranking, reading his twitter account he didnt seem a happy camper.

It seems the points were calculated incorrectly for Blacksod as everybody had their points earned there reduced. It was unfortunate that TI didn't find the error here sooner to avoid disappointing Chris and the embarrassment caused by sending an email showing him to be top before correcting it. I certainly don't think there is some conspiracy against Chris by TI, after all he is one of their athletes.

As for racing smart, I've seen this in previous years where people were able to dodge other athletes by going to another NS series race being held on the same weekend and harvest points. (In the past you could race an NS sprint race while others were racing an NS olympic race on the same weekend). I chatted to Tomaz about his racing and he always wanted the chance to race against the best guys in the same waves and at races easy to get to from Dublin. I never got the impression he was looking for backwater races to avoid people, in fairness he raced his heart out from the start of the season(Athy) to the end of the season(Cloggerhead) and deserves some congratulations for topping the NS this year.

• Advertisement

Briando wrote: »
    in fairness he raced his heart out from the start of the season(Athy) to the end of the season(Cloggerhead) and deserves some congratulations for topping the NS this year.

no one is saying he doesn't deserve the Title.
    it would be easier on every one if TI had a set Score card, Winner takes 150 points 2nd takes 125, 3rd takes 100, 4th 95, 5th 75, outside 5th takes 50 points each for an Olympic you could double the points.
    something in the lines of that and it doesnt make a difference what race you do all the points are the same

it would be easier on every one if TI had a set Score card, Winner takes 150 points 2nd takes 125, 3rd takes 100, 4th 95, 5th 75, outside 5th takes 50 points each for an Olympic you could double the points.
    something in the lines of that and it doesnt make a difference what race you do all the points are the same

May I suggest you read this thread.........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057286928

So Chris turns up to a race with a sh*t standard and wins, he gets 150.

Tomaz turns to to a fantastic standard race and beats Gavin Noble, the gets 150

Fair?

tunney wrote: »
    So Chris turns up to a race with a sh*t standard and wins, he gets 150.

Tomaz turns to to a fantastic standard race and beats Gavin Noble, the gets 150

Fair?

Well Chris won in INTERSPORT Belfast Titanic Standard Triathlonand also Pulse Port Beach Triathlon which Tomaz raced in

and why would a Pro race in the NS, so what point are you trying to make :confused: ?

Also Aaron o Brien came up against Chris in The Edge SPorts Blackwater Triathlon and came Second, Both Aaron and Tomaz raced each other in Dublin City Tri and guess what Aaron beat him..

3 Tri Tomaz raced in that had the top 3 and he came Second to both Chris and Aaron,

Well Chris won in INTERSPORT Belfast Titanic Standard Triathlonand also Pulse Port Beach Triathlon which Tomaz raced in

and why would a Pro race in the NS, so what point are you trying to make :confused: ?

Also Aaron o Brien came up against Chris in The Edge SPorts Blackwater Triathlon and came Second, Both Aaron and Tomaz raced each other in Dublin City Tri and guess what Aaron beat him..

3 Tri Tomaz raced in that had the top 3 and he came Second to both Chris and Aaron,

Okay I shouldn't have used concrete examples, obviously made it a little tricky for you.

Some NS races can have a weak field, a decent athlete could stroll around not be challenged.

Some NS races can have a strong field, a decent athlete would have to work hard to place/win.

Should both races have equal points? IMHO no.

And its important to remember that the NS was never intended as an "overall winner" thing. Nor to be used to pick top eight for super sprints.
    Its an age group/ competition. Equally valid for F70-74 as M25-29

Try viewing the NS in the context it was intended not what is has been bastardised into.

The moment you start viewing the NS as having an "overall winner" or a "top eight" you've already made a mistake mistake to both your understanding and argument.

But hey you ignore all this and go on about Chris again.

The pros are just as entitled to race in the NS as anyone else. As TI members they can claim the points but that would be against the spirit of the event as an age group competition.

Having siad that Bryan Keane, Gavin Noble, Byran McCrystal have all been invited in the past to club events to raise the profile. Whether they abstain from the point or not is something I am not aware of.

If the top 30% in the race are very close in time differential (as what often happens in the big races) then the point are pretty poor.

If the top 30% are quite diverse, lets say 10 from 100 entrants are pointy end people the remaining 90 are local club racers then the time difference from 1 -30 could be quite a spread which means bigger points for the top finishers. This is what I meant by racing strategically (intended or otherwise). Tomasz got 129 for one of his races so the differential was bigger.

Okay I shouldn't have used concrete examples, obviously made it a little tricky for you.

Some NS races can have a weak field, a decent athlete could stroll around not be challenged.

Some NS races can have a strong field, a decent athlete would have to work hard to place/win.

Should both races have equal points? IMHO no.

And its important to remember that the NS was never intended as an "overall winner" thing. Nor to be used to pick top eight for super sprints.
    Its an age group/ competition. Equally valid for F70-74 as M25-29

Try viewing the NS in the context it was intended not what is has been bastardised into.

The moment you start viewing the NS as having an "overall winner" or a "top eight" you've already made a mistake mistake to both your understanding and argument.

But hey you ignore all this and go on about Chris again.

Sorry love you didnt make any thing a little tricky for me.

I didnt go on about chris again, but you tried to make a point in where it seems that Tomaz goes to the hardest and the other goes to the weaker ones, that is why i brought chris back into it, but i also stated that Aaron also raced agaisnt tomaz and won,

i do stand by my view on each race should carry the same amount of points,

but you could offer like Hell of the West or TriAthy double points to make the top 5 show up to those races,

in the likely hood of the top 5 meeting each other week in week is not all that high some people like to race around your provinces less cost on the person
    i dont race outside my province, as i cant offered to travel around Ireland racing.

I didnt go on about chris again, but you tried to make a point in where it seems that Tomaz goes to the hardest and the other goes to the weaker ones, that is why i brought chris back into it, but i also stated that Aaron also raced agaisnt tomaz and won,

Based on what? A friend of yours didn't win? boo hoo hoo.

Firstly give a reasonable definition of the NS.
    Now come up with a scoring system that is reconcilable with that definition.

but you could offer like Hell of the West or TriAthy double points to make the top 5 show up to those races,

Bonus points were given to NC, people whinged
    in the likely hood of the top 5 meeting each other week in week is not all that high some people like to race around your provinces less cost on the person
    i dont race outside my province, as i cant offered to travel around Ireland racing.

So you want something that will work for someone who isn't committed and won't make sacrifices? Okay then.........

The NS is not about the top 5. Lets say that again. Maybe caps will help THE NS IS NOT ABOUT THE TOP 5. Does it need to be in colour maybe?

Its an age group competition. Here is a link that might help on age group triathlon. http://www.britishtriathlon.org/about/faqs/age-group-faqs

Niamh, it's actually the other way around. If someone races the toughter races where the competition is fierce then the points are tight, bigger fields like Athy / Athlone can seem less competitive and bigger points spread.

There is a huge thread with loads of stats on the breakdown of the points and how they are calculated.

Ultimately it looks like Chris has lost out this season as a result of statistics. That's what the existing NS series is about.

Based on what? A friend of yours didn't win? boo hoo hoo.

my friends or i never won a race as we are all race groupers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I raced against Tomasz a few times this summer, he's an excellent athlete and the 2014 National Series champion - and congratulations to him for a successful year.

When he races in Super Series next year with Aaron and Chris - will he consistently beat them? Maybe, maybe not, he may have an excellent winter and come out even stronger next year. Chris & Aaron may do other things next year. Tomasz may pack it in, who knows. For now he's the NS champion and that's it.

Chris will have a mighty crack at Super Series next year I imagine and he will certainly be in the mix if he chooses to compete I have little doubt. On this occasion he was pipped to the line through the vagaries of a scoring system not suited to elite competition - that is changing and for the elites it should be more transparent next year who really is the "best" athlete in the land.

Each of the 3 - Aaron, Chris, and Tomasz are fine ambassadors for the sport of Triathlon and very down to earth lads individually.

In looking into something for another reason discovered of the 9000 TI members only 375 "did" the National series, as in five races.

In looking into something for another reason discovered of the 9000 TI members only 375 "did" the National series, as in five races.

That was part of the rationale for the restructure in the TI document.

That was part of the rationale for the restructure in the TI document.

Interesting, because I didn't see anything that would make the NS more attractive to the other 8625 people.

Interesting, because I didn't see anything that would make the NS more attractive to the other 8625 people.

Also interesting that you didn't respond to my other post. But that's ok. Its easier to be critical than to be creative.

Also interesting that you didn't respond to my other post. But that's ok. Its easier to be critical than to be creative.

Other than "creative posts" what has your contribution to the sport in Ireland been?

Other than "creative posts" what has your contribution to the sport in Ireland been?

Nothing. Nada. But that hardly addresses the point.

By him racing in NS or non NS events over priced events at that, generates money for TI Ireland and revenue for the club holding the event.

if you look at it 50 euro for TI membership by 9000 members = 450,000 euros for TI Ireland

an Event which costs 50 pp like Little Bo peep which saw 168 this year
    Take in 8,250 euro. cost of running the event could be no more the 2 - 3 take home 5,250.

even if you dont race you are still making this sport in the Country to what it is now by just paying for your TI membership

or even hell of the West 950 people this year at 60 euros total take in 57k for Limerick Tri club

By him racing in NS or non NS events over priced events at that, generates money for TI Ireland and revenue for the club holding the event.

if you look at it 50 euro for TI membership by 9000 members = 450,000 euros for TI Ireland

an Event which costs 50 pp like Little Bo peep which saw 168 this year
    Take in 8,250 euro. cost of running the event could be no more the 2 - 3 take home 5,250.

even if you dont race you are still making this sport in the Country to what it is now by just paying for your TI membership

or even hell of the West 950 people this year at 60 euros total take in 57k for Limerick Tri club

Run Forest Run.

• Advertisement

Nothing. Nada. But that hardly addresses the point.

Actually it does. You are all huff and no puff.

Volunteer, spend a few years contributing your time for free in the organisation (regional or national), and not as a power hungry TO. Then your demands for "creative posts" about problems might carry more weight. All you have said repeatedly is "well where is your better idea?" and "have you got a better idea?". Sign up, volunteer, come up with a better idea yourself and implement it. Time to give and not just take.

Advertisement