Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2014 (Spoiler Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

^^^

wat

It's another Running Man reference - albeit one that doesn't involve Richard Dawson.

If people don't like these references and want me to stop posting them, I'm happy to comply. :o:o:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Full list of songs posted on ITV website http://www.itv.com/xfactor:

Boys:

Andrea Faustini
    Earth Song

Jake Quickenden
    She's The One

Paul Akister
    Ghost

Girls

Chloe Jasmine
    Toxic

Lauren Platt
    Happy

Stephanie Nala
    Everything I Own

Groups

Blonde Electra
    Kids In America

Boyband
    Roar

Only The Young
    Jailhouse Rock/Twist n Shout

Overs

Ben Haenow
    Bridge Over Troubled Water

Fleur East
    All About That Bass

Jay James
    Changing

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's another Running Man reference - albeit one that doesn't involve Richard Dawson.

If people don't like these references and want me to stop posting them, I'm happy to comply. :o:o:):)

I had no idea what they even were referencing :D I've never actually seen that movie but only read the book a few weeks ago for the first time!

Boys:

Andrea Faustini
    Earth Song

Jake Quickenden
    She's The One

Paul Akister
    Ghost

Girls

Chloe Jasmine
    Toxic

Lauren Platt
    Happy

Stephanie Nala
    Everything I Own

Groups

Blonde Electra
    Kids In America

Boyband
    Roar

Only The Young

Overs

Ben Haenow

Fleur East
    All About That Bass

Jay James
    Changing

I don't know loads of these songs. I'm so old.

Is Ghost Ella Henderson's song?? Is it even popular enough to be on X Factor? Genuine question, I don't listen to the radio and don't pay attention to the charts so don't really know much about current pop music.

I had no idea what they even were referencing :D I've never actually seen that movie but only read the book a few weeks ago for the first time!

I should point out that the movie is only loosely based on the book... ;)

• Advertisement

I don't know loads of these songs. I'm so old.

Is Ghost Ella Henderson's song?? Is it even popular enough to be on X Factor? Genuine question, I don't listen to the radio and don't pay attention to the charts so don't really know much about current pop music.

Yes, Ghost is Ella's song. It was played quite extensively during the series whilst coming in and out of the ad breaks, so viewers would be fairly familiar with it, even if they don't keep up with the charts. Same with Happy by Pharrell Williams - that was also played a lot during episodes.

I think Steph, Blonde Electra, Fleur and Jay could be in trouble tomorrow night, just going by those choices. Depends on their running order during the show too. If any of those four perform really early on, they'll be at risk, imo.

Wildcard song choices will be interesting too...

Boys:

Andrea Faustini
    Earth Song

Jake Quickenden
    She's The One

Paul Akister
    Ghost

Girls

Chloe Jasmine
    Toxic

Lauren Platt
    Happy

Stephanie Nala
    Everything I Own

Groups

Blonde Electra
    Kids In America

Boyband
    Roar

Only The Young

Overs

Ben Haenow

Fleur East
    All About That Bass

Jay James
    Changing

Some genuinely useless information: "Bridge Over Troubled Water", arguably the most famous of these songs, topped the UK charts for three weeks before being displaced by...

"Earth Song", meanwhile, remains one of the least Christmassy songs to top the UK charts on 25 December.

It quite likely remains one of Jarvis Cocker's least favourite songs, too. :D

And I'd like to think that Simon and Co do know that the two songs below topped the UK charts for a combined 31 weeks in the first half of the 1990s...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I think Steph, Blonde Electra, Fleur and Jay could be in trouble tomorrow night, just going by those choices. Depends on their running order during the show too. If any of those four perform really early on, they'll be at risk, imo.

Wildcard song choices will be interesting too...

Have to disagree. I think Blonde Electra have a perfect song choice. I know where Louis' going with this. It's going to be big production with plenty of dancers. I seem to be one of the few who think they're going to be fairly safe this week.

I think Only the Young are the ones in most danger. They needed something current and modern. Can't see them appealing to many people.

Good choices for Paul and Lauren. Both current and in the minds of those watching. Obvious choices and quite frankly boring, for Jake, Andrea, Ben and Jay. I want to see something new. Instead we're being treated to the singing competition approved playlist.

Interested to see what Chloe does with Toxic. There's no way she's going to sing it in the same arrangement as the original. Stephanie and Fleurs choices are both meh.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Have to disagree. I think Blonde Electra have a perfect song choice. I know where Louis' going with this. It's going to be big production with plenty of dancers. I seem to be one of the few who think they're going to be fairly safe this week.

Only thing is, they're the least popular act going into the lives, going by the few polls I've seen. Big productions don't equal votes. I see a lot of similarities between this series and 2010, when Nicolo Festa (also lowest on most polls that year) had a big production during the first show and tanked completely.

The only thing that might save them would be the free voting - no one's going to waste money voting for them, but may cause some mischief if it doesn't cost them anything ;)

I think Only the Young are the ones in most danger. They needed something current and modern. Can't see them appealing to many people.

Yes, this group are the biggest mystery to me. They seem to have a lot of online support, but I think they're quite forgettable and I also have no idea who they're supposed to appeal to. Their song choice stinks too. They could well find themselves in trouble come Saturday.
    Good choices for Paul and Lauren. Both current and in the minds of those watching. Obvious choices and quite frankly boring, for Jake, Andrea, Ben and Jay. I want to see something new. Instead we're being treated to the singing competition approved playlist.

Andrea and Ben will sail through, regardless of song choice. Jake and Jay both have uninspiring songs and could well be sweating on Sunday evening. I think they'll squeak through though.
    Interested to see what Chloe does with Toxic. There's no way she's going to sing it in the same arrangement as the original. Stephanie and Fleurs choices are both meh.

Chloe's version will probably be something like this:

It's a big risk and it might or might not pay off. It didn't for Katie Waissel in show one her year and Chloe is so this year's Katie Waissal!

I think one of either Fleur or Steph will also be bottom two or three this week. Steph has the weaker song choice, but Fleur has less online support.

It's a toughie this week - I can see at least half a dozen possibilities for elimination and that's not even including the wildcards!

Is voting free to irish viewers?

• Advertisement

Is voting free to irish viewers?

Probably not. I seem to remember that the X factor app that they keep mentioning is geo locked to the UK. I guess it all comes down to a decision on tv3's end. It would cost slightly more than a standard rate but I can imagine with the "free vote" being heavily publicised by the show, they will have to reduce rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Ugh,Toxic,Earth Song,She's the One,Kids in America - it's the same bloody songs every single year!
    How long before we have to sit through Purple Rain,The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face & I'm Your Man yet again?

There are millions of songs to choose from,I think the x factor should have a no-repeats policy.

Don't know why people are meh about Steph's song tho,that's the only one that's bang on imo. It will suit her voice perfectly,like Vanessa Hudgens in "Bandslam".

MelanieC wrote: »
    Ugh,Toxic,Earth Song,She's the One,Kids in America - it's the same bloody songs every single year!
    How long before we have to sit through Purple Rain,The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face & I'm Your Man yet again?

"We give 'em what they want! They're number ones, that's all that counts!"

2235791,cMc2Q4b_CzaajgpdEY_avNmH5NgwtfzP7DCe6p3GQF5dMf3pUgk7xLDXZ8tKvlDi1H1IAfmPU7pckuW_8sNCwg==.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Are the 8 piece boyband actually called "Boyband"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I think I know exactly how Chloe will sing Toxic. It's been covered countless times and there are a couple of jazzy arrangements out there. I think she'll be going that route.

There are millions of songs to choose from,I think the x factor should have a no-repeats policy.

Don't know why people are meh about Steph's song tho,that's the only one that's bang on imo. It will suit her voice perfectly,like Vanessa Hudgens in "Bandslam".

I don't know steph's one. Is it recent? I've a lot of youtubing to do tonight!

I don't know steph's one. Is it recent? I've a lot of youtubing to do tonight!

It was originally sung by a band called Bread. Then, in the late eighties, Boy George covered it and got a number one single out of it.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember that :o

It was originally sung by a band called Bread. Then, in the late eighties, Boy George covered it and got a number one single out of it.

Yes, I'm old enough to remember that :o

Just looked it up and I know it. Very odd choice for her, it's not a well known song. Could put her in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,661 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bopper wrote: »

Infinity is a good name for them as the band has 8 members

bopper wrote:

The viewers are naming them.

• Advertisement

The viewers are naming them.

This was actually announced five days ago...

http://www.digitaljournal.com/a-and-e/music/x-factor-fans-given-chance-to-name-the-boy-band-with-no-name/article/407050

...but all the same, I can't resist making another tenuous reference to the Running Man. (Again, if people don't like these, I'll stop.) :o:o:o:);)

"Come up with a name for our eight-piece boy band and be in with a chance of winning our fabulous prizes, like free tickets to the Grand Final, thirty minutes with Cheryl, and the latest edition of the X Factor DVD game!"

175088_v1.jpg

Just looked it up and I know it. Very odd choice for her, it's not a well known song. Could put her in trouble.

I think it's a perfect choice for her & is probably better known than you would think due to being heavily featured in teen movie Bandslam a few years ago. A lot of X Factor viewers (me included!) wouldn't know much of the current chart drivel either (I think Sam Bailey's win proved it's not only teenagers who watch & vote) so no harm to throw in a few classics now & then. I predict & hope she will do well with it.
    I don't know Fleur's song & apparently it's No.1! :-( :-) :-)

I think it's a perfect choice for her & is probably better known than you would think due to being heavily featured in teen movie Bandslam a few years ago. A lot of X Factor viewers (me included!) wouldn't know much of the current chart drivel either (I think Sam Bailey's win proved it's not only teenagers who watch & vote) so no harm to throw in a few classics now & then. I predict & hope she will do well with it.
    I don't know Fleur's song & apparently it's No.1! :-( :-) :-)

Ah I didn't know it was in a teen movie recently!

I'm exactly the same as you, I know very little of current pop music. Looked up Fleur's song the other day and had never heard it before in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭bopper

Bandslam was out five years ago and it tanked at the box office, I can't see that having much pull on voters, but Everything I Own is still a really well known song.

It's been covered by tonnes of artists, not just Boy George. Boyzone were performing on TV just a couple of months ago.

Just been reading that now that Simon's back,he's been holding meetings with the other judges to decide song choices,choreography,arrangement etc for each act. So it's no longer each judge mentoring their own acts,it's Simon doing all of them! I know it's always been a bit staged & fake but it's getting beyond a joke now imo. I really hope there's no patronising "bad song choice" from him or I will literally explode!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I'd go out on a climb and say that was always the case.

FFS... one of the worst weeks IMO.

A few of the contestants have already revealed their songs for next week:

Stevi - Addicted to Love (Robert Palmer)

Only the Young - The Power of Love (Huey Lewis)

Jake Quickenden - Total Eclipse of the Heart (Bonnie Tyler)

Chloe Jasmine - Call Me (Blondie)

They all seem suitable enough, except for Jake. That song seems like a strange fit for him.

I love Chloe's song, but I hope she doesn't jazzify it too much - the original is perfect the way it is.

• Advertisement

:( not the frankie goes to hollywood "power of love"

Advertisement