Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat 2.0 tdi engine kaput

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Shhh don't speak too soon. If the conrod escapes from the block you will be telling everyone that they are a terrible yoke and not to go within 5 miles of one :p

Well the engine going in my one is something I have no control over. However if you do actually study up bxe failures. You'll find that uk which had the largest fail rate almost all the golfs are set to variable servicing and are only service ever 20-30k miles. Which seems mad to me but they don't service them until the car tells them too. Yet it doesn't seem to be as big an issue in Ireland on the cars that are serviced every 15k km. So if your being logical then that has something to with it that and people throwing 10w40 oil into the engine with the sure be grand attitude. Anyway no matter what happens to my current golf I'll be buying a mk6 next so that's my plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

if only you could get VW to teach Toyota how to get soft touch plastics and brand engineering marketing brainwashing just right and then you'd probably have the best built vorsprung durch technik in the world.

i'm off to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

if only you could get VW to teach Toyota how to get soft touch plastics and brand engineering marketing brainwashing just right and then you'd probably have the best built vorsprung durch technik in the world.

i'm off to sleep.

Yeah, imagine the Toyota 2.2 with soft touch plastics. Would definitely make that more reliable:pac:

Sure stick it in a Lexus altogether and it would be great:D

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Ok. Thanks for the replies guys. As the injectors were replaced on a recall, I guess that means it's a bkd version?
    Should be most straightforward to replace with another bkd, which are fairly available. If I get a CR (which are newer/more reliable) it will mean extra work / electrics adjustment to instal.
    Did I get that correct or miss something else along the line?

@tfb I'd agree with a lot of what you said. As for there being holes in my arguments there may be a few but at the same time I never referred to the ops pd 2.0tdi engine whenever I said that it was referring to the newer 2.0tdi cr which is a far improved engine and I still believe. Johnboy said he thought the early ones gave some pump trouble maybe they did but doesn't make me wrong then as it I'd still a far superior engine.

As for my golf and buying an alternative well comparing it to the others in the segment I've either own them or my parents have had one so that accounts for; astra, focus, megane, corolla, 307. I'd still prefer the golf and I'm not some vw fanboi and while vw diesel are not without there problems overall the problems are abit exaggerated but in saying all that the 2.0tdi pd engine in the old is one of the worst and not that reliable.

But if I was them is try to get a recon engine rather than scrap if there wasn't a huge price difference should be more reliable scrap engine is more hit and miss.

• Advertisement

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for the replies guys. As the injectors were replaced on a recall, I guess that means it's a bkd version?
    Should be most straightforward to replace with another bkd, which are fairly available. If I get a CR (which are newer/more reliable) it will mean extra work / electrics adjustment to instal.
    Did I get that correct or miss something else along the line?

Id imagine that would be a lot more work to swap. Your better of to stick to the same engine code that way it's a more direct swap. Putting in a cr engine would be a huge amount of work if even possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

The fact that lads are going to the effort of putting an old sdi short block under the modern 1.9 heads ought to give people and idea of just how common throwing a conrod is in the newer Vag diesels. The oil pumps, whether chain or rod drive, with their farcically small oil pick-ups is pretty much the crux - the pick-up blocks(it's feckin tiny...) and starves the engine of oil. If you own a modern VAG diesel, bung in a bottle of engine flush before every oil-change to keep the pick-up clear and halve the oil-change interval. That at least gives you a fighting chance. And forget about sucking the oil out through the dip-stick, that's just leaving the crud in the sump, begging for it to block the oil pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The fact that lads are going to the effort of putting an old sdi short block under the modern 1.9 heads ought to give people and idea of just how common throwing a conrod is in the newer Vag diesels. The oil pumps, whether chain or rod drive, with their farcically small oil pick-ups is pretty much the crux - the pick-up blocks(it's feckin tiny...) and starves the engine of oil. If you own a modern VAG diesel, bung in a bottle of engine flush before every oil-change to keep the pick-up clear and halve the oil-change interval. That at least gives you a fighting chance. And forget about sucking the oil out through the dip-stick, that's just leaving the crud in the sump, begging for it to block the oil pick up.

I would say I have worked on roughly 1000 VW TDI engined cars of all variations.

Do you know how many blocked oil pump pickup pipes I have seen on them?

None. Not even 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I would say I have worked on roughly 1000 VW TDI engined cars of all variations.

None. Not even 1.

Now now George, this is the Internet - you can check your reality at the door. ... :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

None. Not even 1.

The VW tdi oil pump has two issues - 1.the drive, if rod driven, fails because the rod was too short and skimpy(vw lengthened the drive rod), if chain drivven, the tensioner fails(they upgraded the tensioner). and 2. the pickup is too small an aperture and the mesh blocks causing oil starvation. Oil pumps are often on back-order as so many fail.
    The same faults kill innumerable 1.8T Petrol Vag group engines. Oil starvation.

I don't hugely care how many you have worked on. I see the engines coming back into the central distributors every morning and new ones going out.

• Advertisement

The VW tdi oil pump has two issues - 1.the drive, if rod driven, fails because the rod was too short and skimpy(vw lengthened the drive rod), if chain drivven, the tensioner fails(they upgraded the tensioner). and 2. the pickup is too small an aperture and the mesh blocks causing oil starvation. Oil pumps are often on back-order as so many fail.
    The same faults kill innumerable 1.8T Petrol Vag group engines. Oil starvation.

I don't hugely care how many you have worked on. I see the engines coming back into the central distributors every morning and new ones going out.

You don't need to explain to me the issues with the 2.0 TDI oil pump drive. I'm extremely familiar with them.

My experience is that TDI oil pump pickups don't get blocked like the 1.8T ones do.

If you are looking at an engine that has eaten itself due to oil starvation then there is obviously going to be a load of crap in the sump. But that's a consequence of the failure not a cause of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's high time the Krauts were told to keep their weird little Eastern European sh1theaps that attempt to run on the incorrect fuel for the Russians, and we started buying proper cars that work.

BLB, BPW BRE BNA BKP BMA and BNP coded 2.0 diesels all run twin balancer shafts, and all have oil pumps running at twice engine speed, by design. I.e, flogged to death. The 2.0tdis from 2004 have chain drive to a damped sprocket that is like a mini dmf and also cacks itself, as does the tensioner that keeps the chain taut - crappy little nylon jobbie that snaps, allowing the tensioner post to wear away the chain rapido. And everyone knows about the short hex shaft issues.

If you have a twin balancer shaft engine, and are concerned about longevity or undue rattles, the best conversion is to bin the balancer shaft set-up and revert to the chain drive and sprocket, using a replacement solid sprocket- which is available as a kit of parts from a UK company called KMB - they do a range of conversion kits to suit most Vag diesels. And keep that crappy little oil-pick up gauze clear. It's the size of a 1c coin, so it blocks, despite what people may say. Opening an engine that has damage, and assuming the gauze is blocked as a result of failure, rather than being the cause of the failure, is, erm, well, whatever.

I disagree that the best solution for the oil pump issues on the 2.0TDI is to get rid of the balance shaft. The balance shaft equipped 2.0s are noticeably smoother than the non balance shaft versions fitted to the Golf based cars.

Keeping the balance shaft while converting to gear drive where needed on pre 2007 cars and addressing the hex bar issue is the way to go IMO as you then have a reliable setup without losing the benefits of the balance shaft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I disagree that the best solution for the oil pump issues on the 2.0TDI is to get rid of the balance shaft. The balance shaft equipped 2.0s are noticeably smoother than the non balance shaft versions fitted to the Golf based cars.

Keeping the balance shaft while converting to gear drive where needed on pre 2007 cars and addressing the hex bar issue is the way to go IMO as you then have a reliable setup without losing the benefits of the balance shaft.

George how would you go about addressing the hex bar issue? Is there a way to fix them permanently? :)

There is an improved, longer version available.

Augeo wrote: »

that's usually on back order..

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    George how would you go about addressing the hex bar issue? Is there a way to fix them permanently? :)

We use an improved version which is supplied by a company called Powermax Engineering in NI. We have been fitting their parts for the last 3.5 years and have never had a single issue.

Augeo wrote: »

The problem with that approach is the cost. VW will only sell you a complete balance shaft assembly which retails at over €1000 ex VAT, or at least it did the last time I priced one which is a good few years back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Long story short, my 07 Passat (95k? mlies) needs a new engine and turbo. This car has given some problems since bought as a UK import in 08. My garage man reckons it was clocked. Anyway he has sourced a few engines - one from a breaker, and one (more expensive) german reconditioned engine.
    As I don't have the appetite for getting a replacement car (and I guess I would get little on a trade-in for an engine-less car), I will probably just stump up for an engine replacement.
    I am pretty clueless re cars, but have found another few engines by website trawling, but will any 2.0 litre Passat/audi engine go in this car, or am I limited to specific engine codes??
    Could this car take a 1.9 litre engine? (guess they would be more common out there?)
    Will confer with my mechanic on Monday obviously, but would appreciate any answers to the above 2 questions (or any other relevant gems of wisdom) that any of you motor buffs could give, so I can get my head around it in the meantime.
    Thanks in advance.

I had probably the same problem with my 08 Passat 1.9TDI (another UK import) with about 110k miles back in July. Conrod blew threw the sump & needed a new engine.
    Cost me 1500 for a replacement 1.9TDI engine from a breakers. altogether ended up costing me close to €3000 to have fitted. Now I've got 3 oil leaks & a cracked intercooler tube.
    The old engine was a BXE & the replacement came from a Seat Leon BXF engine. Hoping this is the end of my problems for now.
    The VW garage wanted me to scrap my car & get a new one. I was offered €4000 for the car without an engine. I got a different mechanic to source & fit the engine who has since researched the problem & said it's a very common problem that VW are ignoring & its not limited to the BXE engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Wow. Such pointless bickering. I wouldn't expect anything else from some though

OP if you can get the engine code drop me a PM if you still need an engine

Advertisement