Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat 2.0 tdi engine kaput

Options
  • 27-09-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Long story short, my 07 Passat (95k? mlies) needs a new engine and turbo. This car has given some problems since bought as a UK import in 08. My garage man reckons it was clocked. Anyway he has sourced a few engines - one from a breaker, and one (more expensive) german reconditioned engine.
    As I don't have the appetite for getting a replacement car (and I guess I would get little on a trade-in for an engine-less car), I will probably just stump up for an engine replacement.
    I am pretty clueless re cars, but have found another few engines by website trawling, but will any 2.0 litre Passat/audi engine go in this car, or am I limited to specific engine codes??
    Could this car take a 1.9 litre engine? (guess they would be more common out there?)
    Will confer with my mechanic on Monday obviously, but would appreciate any answers to the above 2 questions (or any other relevant gems of wisdom) that any of you motor buffs could give, so I can get my head around it in the meantime.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Unless you are changing the cars wiring loom and ECU's, just stick to the mechanical swap, ie stick to the same size engine and the same engine code.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The 2.0 is renowned for shyting itself. You are not exclusive in that. Youllneed another 2.0 fitted , but then get rid is my view. I never touch them. Only stock the 1.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

Your having a laugh, the 1.9 bxe (105bhp)engine is the biggest let down ever recorded from the vag group, with people reverting back to replacing them with the older bkc version.
    One the other hand whilst the 2.0tdi ( bkd) 140hp hasn't been without its troubles with its injectors etc, essentially the bottom is of a much superior build than the bxe,
    Regular and correct servicing being a big factor,
    A good second hand engine, with a warranty being readily available for around 1500 euros including the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Does it effect the newer CR 2ltrs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Guest0000 wrote: »
    Your having a laugh, the 1.9 bxe (105bhp)engine is the biggest let down ever recorded from the vag group, with people reverting back to replacing them with the older bkc version.
    One the other hand whilst the 2.0tdi ( bkd) 140hp hasn't been without its troubles with its injectors etc, essentially the bottom is of a much superior build than the bxe,
    A good second hand engine, with a warranty being readily available for around 1500 euros including the turbo.

Lol...the laughs on you. How and where will you find a good 2.0 tdi secondhand engine...its always a pot luck situation. You never ever know what you are getting, regardless of what the breaker tells you.

And as for a warranty..... Yeah...dont believe what you get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Robbie G wrote: »
    Does it effect the newer CR 2ltrs?

No I don't think any of the pd issues effected the newer cr engine. The 2.0 tdi cr engine is known to be quite reliable I don't think they have any major issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Bpmull wrote: »
    The 2.0 tdi cr engine is known to be quite reliable I don't think they have any major issues.

unless you would classify randomly crapping themselves as a major issue.

threads like this do make you wonder why people get such a hard on for VAG diesels in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Please tell how the bottom is a much superior build?

unless you would classify randomly crapping themselves as a major issue.

So your talking about the old pd engine there now.

Without getting the handbags out and going completely off on a tangent, the bkd is readily available a quick search on the trade sites will show this,
    One can dismiss any such warranty or guarantee as bs, or would you rather a tailight guarantee instead,

The ops injectors will have been replaced under the recall, so a bkp replacement block will also be a viable option, from a later improved version.

And so to recap, this and other posts are for the op benefit, and not to have a debate on the integrity of the breakers around the country,

• Advertisement

So your talking about the old pd engine there now.

no, the one the OP is referring to is the 2.0

6 years and just 95k miles and it sounds like it's irreversibly shagged. i'm not going to lie, i would be beyond gutted, i would like my engine to last a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

6 years and just 95k miles and it sounds like it's irreversibly shagged. i'm not going to lie, i would be beyond gutted, i would like my engine to last a little longer.

OP says its likely clocked too!

The ops car is a 2.0tdi pd engine which is known for these problems I'm not arguing that. In the post you quoted me in I was answering a guy asked does the newer 2.0tdi cr have these problems which it doesn't. The 2.0 tdi pd and cr engine are very different engine when it comes to reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The ops car is a 2.0tdi pd engine which is known for these problems I'm not arguing that. In the post you quoted me in I was answering a guy asked does the newer 2.0tdi cr have these problems which it doesn't. The 2.0 tdi pd and cr engine are very different engine when it comes to reliability.

Early CR's were supposedly giving similar oil pump issues.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Early CR's were supposedly giving similar oil pump issues.

It's must of only been the very early ones from the transition over. As in general I'm fairly sure they don't give pump trouble well not to anywhere near the same extent anyway.

How will that stop the pump from giving trouble? It gives issues regardless of maintenance tbh.

Also their is more than one type of 1.9tdi out there, not all are bxe engines.

A 1.9 non bxe is a much safer bet than a 2.0tdi with the oil pump issues imo.

It's must of only been the very early ones from the transition over. As in general I'm fairly sure they don't give pump trouble well not to anywhere near the same extent anyway.

Are you fairly sure due to knowledge and / or experience or are you guessing due to there being not too many chats on the internet compared to the PDs?

How will that stop the pump from giving trouble? It gives issues regardless of maintenance tbh.

Also their is more than one type of 1.9tdi out there, not all are bxe engines.

A 1.9 non bxe is a much safer bet than a 2.0tdi with the oil pump issues imo.

With the exception of the small proportion of bls, all are bxe.

Like I said, tangents and point scoring, three pages in not one of you give a relevant reply to the op original query,

Augeo wrote: »
    Are you fairly sure due to knowledge and / or experience or are you guessing due to there being not too many chats on the internet compared to the PDs?

I base nothing I say on what I've read on the internet. As if we were going by what is said on threads here then basically everything with a bxe engine will explode when in reality there is less than 1 % failure rates as if there was the failure rates that are mentioned on the internet then every vw garage should have 10s of golf and passats outside it every week all with bxe engines in sh!t. I'm not a mechanic just like cars. I have four uncles who are qualified mechanics and talk to them a lot that's where I hear about the common faults on cars.

You'll find that if you believed everything you read on the internet you just wouldn't buy any car. I have a bxe engine golf by the way.

I base nothing I say on what I've read on the internet. As if we were going by what is said on threads here then basically everything with a bxe engine will explode when in reality there is less than 1 % failure rates as if there was the failure rates that are mentioned on the internet then every vw garage should have 10s of golf and passats outside it every week all with bxe engines in sh!t. I'm not a mechanic just like cars. I have four uncles who are qualified mechanics and talk to them a lot that's where I hear about the common faults on cars.

You'll find that if you believed everything you read on the internet you just wouldn't buy any car. I have a bxe engine golf by the way.

I think they were referring to your post regarding the CR engine.

• Advertisement

With the exception of the small proportion of bls, all are bxe.

Like I said, tangents and point scoring, three pages in not one of you give a relevant reply to the op original query,

pot/kettle :rolleyes:

I think they were referring to your post regarding the CR engine.

Well any mechanic I've talked to has always said that the cr engine is a huge improvement on the old pd 2.0 tdi and they have only ever mentioned pump failure when talking about the older pd engine. I've a good few relations who have the cr engine in cars and they've never had any pump issues. I've never looked up threads on cr issues so I don't know what they say.

On all of my posts I have made reference to th initial question, in telling the chap of the engine code of his car, and the approx price of a replacement and the option of fitting the bkp engine,
    if that constitutes being a kettle, well so be it.
    You and yours on the other hand have said nothing, other than pick holes in others opinion and views,

.... You have 4 mechanics as uncles yet you bought a focus with the appalling 1.6 PSA in it? You mustn't talk to them too often.

Augeo wrote: »
    .... You have 4 mechanics as uncles yet you bought a focus with the appalling 1.6 PSA in it? You mustn't talk to them too often.

followed by a bxe golf.

followed by a bxe golf.

:D :pac:

Well firstly I was warned about the focus and it's problems by my uncles. But I still chose to buy it so really I have no one to blame only myself. Although I suppose you always take a certain amount of risk when buying a second hand car.

As for the golf I always wanted one had to be diesel around 2007 so what were my options 2.0tdi pd or 1.9tdi bxe engine. I think I made the right choice. I've never heard of a real case of conrod failure in Ireland (as in not on the internet) or seen an engine after it. I know it's a big issue in uk. I love my golf and if I was back again I would buy it everytime. It's been 100 % reliable I have 18k km up on it. The only thing I've replaced is tyres, wipers, pads and service which are all routine / wear items. So I personally don't see buying a bxe golf as a negative as it hasn't gone wrong.

On all of my posts I have made reference to th initial question, in telling the chap of the engine code of his car, and the approx price of a replacement and the option of fitting the bkp engine,
    if that constitutes being a kettle, well so be it.
    You and yours on the other hand have said nothing, other than pick holes in others opinion and views,

Hang on now a minute, you were doing exactly what you have accused others of from the off in your very first post. You've some neck to accuse other posters of something you are guilty of yourself.
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    The 2.0 is renowned for shyting itself. You are not exclusive in that. Youllneed another 2.0 fitted , but then get rid is my view. I never touch them. Only stock the 1.9.

Not only did you try to "pick holes" in the above poster's "views" but when you were asked to explain and back up your post you failed to do so.

Anyway I've said my bit so I'll leave it at that.

Well firstly I was warned about the focus and it's problems by my uncles. But I still chose to buy it so really I have no one to blame only myself. Although I suppose you always take a certain amount of risk when buying a second hand car.

As for the golf I always wanted one had to be diesel around 2007 so what were my options 2.0tdi pd or 1.9tdi bxe engine. I think I made the right choice. I've never heard of a real case of conrod failure in Ireland (as in not on the internet) or seen an engine after it. I know it's a big issue in uk. I love my golf and if I was back again I would buy it everytime. It's been 100 % reliable I have 18k km up on it. The only thing I've replaced is tyres, wipers, pads and service which are all routine / wear items. So I personally don't see buying a bxe golf as a negative as it hasn't gone wrong.

Shhh don't speak too soon. If the conrod escapes from the block you will be telling everyone that they are a terrible yoke and not to go within 5 miles of one :p

• Advertisement

Although I suppose you always take a certain amount of risk when buying a second hand car.

very true. pretty much every second hand car is a gamble of sorts.
    As for the golf I always wanted one had to be diesel around 2007 so what were my options 2.0tdi pd or 1.9tdi bxe engine. I think I made the right choice.

was there not the option of a more "reliable"/ sensible alternative. or did you just feel compelled into investing a few grand in something that is prone to random and catastrophic failure because it wore the VW badge.
    I've never heard of a real case of conrod failure in Ireland (as in not on the internet) or seen an engine after it.

i'm not being funny, but unless you work in the industry, how would you?
    I love my golf and if I was back again I would buy it everytime. It's been 100 % reliable I have 18k km up on it... So I personally don't see buying a bxe golf as a negative as it hasn't gone wrong.

i've seen your posts and i know you do take care of and enjoy that car, but i do ask you; every time you sit into that car and drive it, does the conrod issue cross your mind? i think we both know the answer.

i'm not saying you are totally wrong in your points, nor am i trying to take away the fact you have an enthusiasm for your car (and feel the need to defend it, which we all do), which is a great interest for anyone to have. but you must see your arguments have a lot of holes in them.

Advertisement