Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Friends still that popular?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

D.Q wrote: »
    Its not laugh out loud funny most of the time, or particularly smart.

Disagree with all this sentence really, but especially the last part. There are tonnes are smart jokes in this show, both overt and subtle, that it has never got any credit for.

I love Frasier but I've been watching a lot of it on Netflix lately and it has gone down a bit in my estimations. A lot of really set up storylines that you see how they will unfold long before the punchline, a lot of embarrassing clichés and stereotyping. I would have long said before that Frasier is smarter than Friends but on reflection, not really. And both make me laugh out loud a lot.

Also, everyone seems to dislike Mike and love David. I'm the opposite. What an irritating character David was. Milquetoast whiner.

Liam O wrote: »
    For some it just wasn't cool I think is the problem.

Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Tarzana wrote: »
    Disagree with all this sentence really, but especially the last part. There are tonnes are smart jokes in this show, both overt and subtle, that it has never got any credit for.

I love Frasier but I've been watching a lot of it on Netflix lately and it has gone down a bit in my estimations. A lot of really set up storylines that you see how they will unfold long before the punchline, a lot of embarrassing clichés and stereotyping. I would have long said before that Frasier is smarter than Friends but on reflection, not really. And both make me laugh out loud a lot.

yeah, long ago when I was younger I liked Frasier. As I've grown up and become more wise to the world, I've realized how unrealistic and silly it all is. I no longer find it funny at all. You can be unrealistic and good, but with something like The Big Bang Theory the joke is supposed to be on their exaggerated personalities. Frasier is just unrealistic in places there is no joke.

3rd Rock from the Sun is for me the best American sitcom of all time.

yeah, long ago when I was younger I liked Frasier. As I've grown up and become more wise to the world, I've realized how unrealistic and silly it all is. I no longer find it funny at all. You can be unrealistic and good, but with something like The Big Bang Theory the joke is supposed to be on their exaggerated personalities. Frasier is just unrealistic in places there is no joke.

Well, I still really enjoy Frasier. I just think its place as one of the smartest sitcoms isn't wholly deserved.

Hate TBBT though, I'm afraid, it rarely raises a titter in me. I also don't enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm at all, but Seinfeld was great.

Comedy really is an individual thing, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Every comedy is somewhat unrealistic.If they were realistic we wouldn't need to be watching them as our lives would be hilarious already.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Also, everyone seems to dislike Mike and love David. I'm the opposite. What an irritating character David was. Milquetoast whiner.

Who were they in Friends

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who were they in Friends

Mike was the dude Phoebe married, David was her boyfriend briefly before he went off to Minsk.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mike was the dude Phoebe married, David was her boyfriend briefly before he went off to Minsk.

Paul Rudd was awesome as Mike, love him he is a great comedic actor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Unagi
    Pivot
    Keyboard
    Bagpipes
    Suntan
    British Accent

:pac:
    The leather trouser/talc fiasco?

#dead

I hate the tan and leather trousers! That contrived, embarrassing situation humour really doesn't work for me.

Is not every single character in Friends a cliché stereotype? Bimbo waitress, good looking actor, woman obsessed with cleaning and having babies, the kooky hippy, the nerd who gets the girl, the funny one. And Friends has its fair share of set up storylines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Aliens from another planet living as humans are more realistic than a shrink living in a fancy apartment in Seattle?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is not every single character in Friends a cliché stereotype? Bimbo waitress, good looking actor, woman obsessed with cleaning and having babies, the kooky hippy, the nerd who gets the girl, the funny one. And Friends has its fair share of set up storylines.

Aye, but is Friends ever really cited as one of the smartest shows out there? You missed my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Aliens from another planet living as humans are more realistic than a shrink living in a fancy apartment in Seattle?

You must have missed this part -
    You can be unrealistic and good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Aye, but is Friends ever really cited as one of the smartest shows out there? You missed my point.

I dont know where this "Frasier is a smart show" sentiment comes from. The CHARACTERS are smart, but the show itself is just a sitcom. It has clever dialogue.

Friends just veers too much into the cheesy side of things for me. Its perfect hangover tv, dont think, and laugh every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I've come to appreciate Friends, of late. Great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Pheobe should have been checked into the mental ward after she started storing rats in the same place where she kept and prepared her food.

Ridiculous character.

As I've said here before, the show as a whole peaked and then started to go into decline after Ross' wedding in London.

I think the actors/actresses got lazy in the last few seasons and just hammed up their stereotypes. The only exception was Jennifer Anniston who was the only one who had a respectable career outside of Friends at the time.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Pheobe should have been checked into the mental ward after she started storing rats in the same place where she kept and prepared her food.

Ridiculous character.

Yeah, but the whole show is fairly silly. It's a comedy, not a drama.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yeah, but the whole show is fairly silly. It's a comedy, not a drama.
    So? Doesn't mean humans suddenly do not behave like humans.

Joey was so stupid by the end that he couldn't even replicate sound, something a 1 year old can do.

So? Doesn't mean humans suddenly do not behave like humans.

Joey was so stupid by the end that he couldn't even replicate sound, something a 1 year old can do.

Actually, in the world of the imagined, anything goes. If it were up to people like you, we'd just have documentaries, reality shows and paintings of fruit.

D.Q wrote: »
    I dont know where this "Frasier is a smart show" sentiment comes from. The CHARACTERS are smart, but the show itself is just a sitcom. It has clever dialogue.

Friends just veers too much into the cheesy side of things for me. Its perfect hangover tv, dont think, and laugh every so often.

Friends can definitely be frequently cloying. That turns off a lot of people understandably. And I think it distracts from the sharp humour the show frequently displays.

Frasier is quite clever but not as clever as its made out to be. Daphne's awful family being a case in point.

But I thoroughly enjoy both shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭micks_address

Interestingly our 11 year old son finds friends hilarious. We've had a few debates about whether it's all suitable but most I'd harmless. At the moment he's watching fresh Prince. I guess somethings age well

Actually, in the world of the imagined, anything goes. If it were up to people like you, we'd just have documentaries, reality shows and paintings of fruit.
    People like me, lol.

So Joey speaking like a spaz is hilarious then, despite it being completely out of character from the rest of the show? Joey was always dim but clever in a way. He progressed into being an out and out gob****e by the last season.

I have no problem with artistic license, but there's a difference between that and jumping the shark with silly and unrealistic storylines (Joey speaking French, Pheobes attraction to rats etc.)

People like me, lol.

So Joey speaking like a spaz is hilarious then, despite it being completely out of character from the rest of the show? Joey was always dim but clever in a way. He progressed into being an out and out gob****e by the last season.

I have no problem with artistic license, but there's a difference between that and jumping the shark with silly and unrealistic storylines (Joey speaking French, Pheobes attraction to rats etc.)

No, there is no difference. That's the point I made.

No, there is no difference. That's the point I made.
    You said "anything goes". If that's the case then there's no need for directors. Might as well let a child do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

I suppose it's obvious its not as popular these days as it was during its heyday, but for me (and perhaps particular age-groups) there is a certain kind of nostalgia attached to the first couple of seasons. It was one of those shows that you grew up with, which is harder to see happening these days given the way a lot of people's TV viewing habits are now (on-demand tv/binging on box-sets).

Also, I guess it kind of offered you an idealized version of the future 20-something life, you know, out on your own but doing ok, proper dating as opposed to trying to score in a nightclub you got into with a fake id, close group of friends who got your back, etc. All of this fitted in nicely with an optimistic teenage outlook. All the while being funny with a largely likable and believable cast. Until they went to England anyway:pac:.

Show went downhill after that all right, but at that stage you were invested so the show ploughed on on the back of its previously gained popularity. Just my €0.02 anyway.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Friends can definitely be frequently cloying. That turns off a lot of people understandably. And I think it distracts from the sharp humour the show frequently displays.

Frasier is quite clever but not as clever as its made out to be. Daphne's awful family being a case in point.

A lot of the cleverness in Fraiser was not the comedy but the name dropping. Niles and Fraiser used to make jokes which referenced Opera stars or obscure authors, as to whether these jokes were funny on their own terms ( or just funny because they referenced obscure people) I don't think anybody really could tell.

Not that it was bad but there was nothing going on if Fraiser wasn't in the scene. Unlike other ensemble comedies - and it has a large cast - the main character had to be there at all times. Or it wasn't funny. Niles and Daphne. Shoot me. Roz and a boyfriend. I am turning over.

Fraiser and anybody was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

A lot of the cleverness in Fraiser was not the comedy but the name dropping. Niles and Fraiser used to make jokes which referenced Opera stars or obscure authors, as to whether these jokes were funny on their own terms ( or just funny because they referenced obscure people) I don't think anybody really could tell.

Not that it was bad but there was nothing going on if Fraiser wasn't in the scene. Unlike other ensemble comedies - and it has a large cast - the main character had to be there at all times. Or it wasn't funny. Niles and Daphne. Shoot me. Roz and a boyfriend. I am turning over.

Fraiser and anybody was funny.

One of the best episodes "Moon Dance" barely featured Frasier at all.Some people consider Niles silent scene at the start of the 3 Valentines episode to be the best in the shows history.So I don't think having Frasier present at all times was essential to the show.

Frasier's humour was very sharp and contained a lot of dry wit compared to most other sitcoms. Thats why it was considered to be clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Unagi
    Pivot
    Keyboard
    Bagpipes
    Suntan
    British Accent

:pac:

White teeth!

Ross became my favourite character after Chandler lost his mojo after getting with Monica.

On a sidenote, who was everyone's favourite guest star? For me, it has to be Adam Goldberg as Chandler's short-lived housemate, crazy Eddie Menuek. The episode where he accuses Chander of sleeping with his ex and killing his fish is one of my all time favourites.

yeah absolutely. I really enjoy them both for what they are. Any episode of friends pre monica/chandler is generally good for a laugh, and plenty after too, but the sappy side definitely started coming into it after they got together. I suppose I prefer the Seinfeld mantra of "no one ever learns a lesson, and no one ever hugs."

• Advertisement

White teeth!

Ross became my favourite character after Chandler lost his mojo after getting with Monica.

On a sidenote, who was everyone's favourite guest star? For me, it has to be Adam Goldberg as Chandler's short-lived housemate, crazy Eddie Menuek. The episode where he accuses Chander of sleeping with his ex and killing his fish is one of my all time favourites.

yep. Absolutely. Those few episodes with Eddies arrival, and joeys eventual return to the apt are my favourite friends episodes by far.

Advertisement