Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Try To Tax Commercial Vehicle

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Its not that simplistic....

You may very well need a vat no, as well as a good declaration form and the pps no's of some emplyess to qualify for commercial tax on a crewcab.

The pps no is not enough in most tax offices. Otherwise, its the full cc engine rate of the vehicle.

For sole traders at least, the PPS NO. is actually their VAT NO. So the PPS NO. entered in the box marked VAT NO. is not incorrect nor is it fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Crew cabs are very popular among farmers in my neck of the woods (as they can be used as a family car etc too) and obviously a farmer won't have employees yet I've never heard of any of them having any trouble taxing them.
    How is it obvious that a farmet won't have employees? Around here crew cabs are used like mini buses ferrying people to and from fields all over Dublin in the morning and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

For sole traders at least, the PPS NO. is actually their VAT NO. So the PPS NO. entered in the box marked VAT NO. is not incorrect nor is it fraud.

Yes but just to clarify. The box is marked tax registration number, Not vat number. Any legit business will have a tax registration number but may not have a vat number. The tax number as you say will for sole trader be the pps number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

There is no box marked Vat number

Thats because they have a herd no.

I know how it works as we have a farm, I was referring to where it was mentioned that even if a person is vat registered etc they would still have to prove they have employees if they want to tax a crew cab and I would have thought if that was really the case then the same would have been asked of farmers (and I've never heard of that happening).

I know of plenty of paye workers using Commercially taxed vehicles for totally private use, commuting etc so while you appear to be over the top strict obviously a lot of tax offices are more reasonable and will just tax commercially for people who want them.
    micraX wrote: »
    How is it obvious that a farmet won't have employees? Around here crew cabs are used like mini buses ferrying people to and from fields all over Dublin in the morning and evening.

Obviously probably wasn't the right word, more that you would expect farmers not to have employees. There are of course big farmers (particularly in the east of the country) with lots of employees but you won't find many farmer officially employing people in the west of Ireland as they are not big enough to require it. Farmers use them for bringing family members who help on the farm around of course but these won't be official employees.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

For sole traders at least, the PPS NO. is actually their VAT NO. .

No its not. The stupidity here is some times jaw dropping.

For sole traders, their business tax registration registration number where not vat registered is their pps number.
    vat number would be different

mickdw wrote: »
    For sole traders, their business tax registration registration number where not vat registered is their pps number.
    vat number would be different

Yes, thats the essence of what i said. Are you slow or something not to be able to reconise that, or is it the perpetual need to argue here that makes you post alot of the erronious tripe you do?

Mod note: user banned

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I've see 2 seater 3.0 litre sports cars on Done Deal that has been taxed commercial, it's a bit crazy how these rules are being applied.

Yes, thats the essence of what i said. Are you slow or something not to be able to reconise that, or is it the perpetual need to argue here that makes you post alot of the erronious tripe you do?

Well I was agreeing with you while adding needed clarification as some are confusing vat number with tax number.
    Indeed that confusion appears to be causing much of the issues in this thread and in general with this issue.

The only way I'm slow is in recognising that You are clearly trolling for quite a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Indeed, who can believe that a motor trader would post on here that he has taxed vehicles at a goods rate making a solemn declaration that they will be used in his business when in fact he has already agreed a sale of them and would not have a commercial use for them in the first place. Perhaps look to your own actions as well as those of others.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Indeed, who can believe that a motor trader would post on here that he has taxed vehicles at a goods rate making a solemn declaration that they will be used in his business when in fact he has already agreed a sale of them and would not have a commercial use for them in the first place. Perhaps look to your own actions as well as those of others.

Nice try Marcusm. Incorrect. You will find it standard practice and not illegal as you try to poorly portray. Not illegal as when i tax them, they would be in my possession, and therefore would be used in my trade/profession to move goods. Then, they would be sold after being taxed, after the fact.

So, nothing illegal, so any other false nonsense you want to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

People, if you link to sources for your claims it may be a bit easier to discuss rather than throwing out statements that may or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If someone goes to their local tax office and they refuse to take it, can they just take their form to the tax office in another county that isn't so disciplined and tax it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Nice try Marcusm. Incorrect. You will find it standard practice and not illegal as you try to poorly portray. Not illegal as when i tax them, they would be in my possession, and therefore would be used in my trade/profession to move goods. Then, they would be sold after being taxed, after the fact.

So, nothing illegal, so any other false nonsense you want to add?

Ah yes. Letter of the law, versus spirit of the law.

Doesn't make it any less crooked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Quazzie wrote: »
    If someone goes to their local tax office and they refuse to take it, can they just take their form to the tax office in another county that isn't so disciplined and tax it there?

apparently you have to go to the Tax Office in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I am a sole trader, I use a trading name, I am registered for VAT and I use a commercial vehicle.
    My VAT number is exactly the same as my PPS number with one slight difference.
    If I am using the number for business, VAT or revenue purposes I have to put IE before the PPS number, otherwise it is the same.
    LTD companies have a different number.
    If you are trader who is not VAT registered you use your PPS number for all invoicing and on all revenue correspondance, which is what I had to do prior to becoming VAT registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

NoellieSla wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want to tax my Nissan Navara commercially.
    I have the following docs ready to go :

1. DOE
    2. Vehicle Log Book
    3. Company Reg Number
    4. RF111A Form

I am registered as a Sole Trader and I am not registered for VAT as I don't predict to meet the €37,500 threshold required.
    On the RF111A declaration form I need to put in a VAT number,

Thanks for your advise on this.

I recently taxed a commercial, and the motor tax office asked for the following:
    • CVRT/DOE
    • Log Book
    • Weighbridge docket, I got this from Greenstar for €25. Required because of change of ownership.
    • Insurance cert.
    • RF111A Form
    • Headed Revenue document, e.g. tax compliance cert-this is to show you are a functioning trading company/individual.

Apparently a few people just reg. a company with the CRO and bring the cert in chancing the arm to get cheap tax, especially with 5 seater 4x4's/commercials.

Every subsequent year after, the weight docket & Revenue document are not required. I am Vat registered, but doubt its a requirement-quick call to tax office will confirm.

The biggest pain about taxing a commercial is that it can't be done on line. Also make sure you go to the tax office for the area your business address is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

glynf wrote: »
    I recently taxed a commercial, and the motor tax office asked for the following:
    • CVRT/DOE
    • Log Book
    • Weighbridge docket, I got this from Greenstar for €25. Required because of change of ownership.
    • Insurance cert.
    • RF111A Form
    • Headed Revenue document, e.g. tax compliance cert-this is to show you are a functioning trading company/individual.

Apparently a few people just reg. a company with the CRO and bring the cert in chancing the arm to get cheap tax, especially with 5 seater 4x4's/commercials.

Every subsequent year after, the weight docket & Revenue document are not required. I am Vat registered, but doubt its a requirement-quick call to tax office will confirm.

The biggest pain about taxing a commercial is that it can't be done on line. Also make sure you go to the tax office for the area your business address is in.

Just taxed my commercial on line last week on motortax.ie.
    Nothing needed only pin number and visa card.
    Ok that was for a wagon I have for the last few years,not a first time tax.

Obv. never closed the loophole re. having a valid insurance policy number for on line taxing either as also taxed 2 tractors at the same time and couldn't find the insurance policy so made up 2 policy numbers and got both discs in the post last week as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 NoellieSla

glynf wrote: »
    • CVRT/DOE
    • Log Book
    • Insurance cert.
    • RF111A Form

So this compliance cert ? Where do I get this ? I'm a brand new business and haven't seen this or heard of it ?
    Can you further advise please .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

NoellieSla wrote: »
    So this compliance cert ? Where do I get this ? I'm a brand new business and haven't seen this or heard of it ?
    Can you further advise please .

Like Fred said, Revenue. Call the tax office, any headed Revenue correspondence might do-it's mainly to prove you are trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I just taxed my commercial only brought my CRVT and the tax form that was sent to me never been asked for my Vat number ever. 30 years in Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Isn't a navara classed as a crew cab? The rules used to be stricter for commercial tax on crew cabs, not sure if it has changed since?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Quazzie wrote: »

I live in dublin but taxed my van in galway city last wednesday!! I'm vat registered etc so the whole commercial tax debate wasn't there for discussion.

The only thing the girl wanted was a galway address....i told her i was only down to do a job and it was convenient for me to have it taxed there that day - her response - "stick any address down, i don't care!!"

Advertisement