Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ello social networking sans advertisers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

when i joined facebook very few people i knew were on it, give it a few days to a week and after your network sends round invites it will be better

I really doubt it tbh. As the man said, most people (myself included) aren't arsed 'starting over'. I don't see any good reason to sign up currently. Like a lot of people, I won't switch unless everyone else is doing likewise and completely abandoning their fb activity. Maybe that'll happen, who knows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

c_man wrote: »
    I really doubt it tbh. As the man said, most people (myself included) aren't arsed 'starting over'. I don't see any good reason to sign up currently. Like a lot of people, I won't switch unless everyone else is doing likewise and completely abandoning their fb activity. Maybe that'll happen, who knows.

i have one word for you so, baaaaaaaa...

i have one word for you so, baaaaaaaa...

So you think that having a preference for a social network, based on actual activity by your social network is stupid?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://ello.co/wtf/post/founders
    Ello was originally built by a group of seven well-known artists and programmers as a private social network. Over time, so many people wanted to use Ello that our servers were overwhelmed. We built a public version of Ello for everyone to use.

so art project with no more than seven programmers , yeah your data is safe and secure...

Meanwhile I haven't heard much from https://joindiaspora.com/ lately

but it is open source and distributed -

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

for anyone keen to check it out. really cool for designers...anyhoo

curiosity-hated-hare
    life-pack-help-edwin
    cool-fifth-pulling
    trying-which-broken
    rumbling-cross-you

party-footman-withina
    nibbling-way-went
    weve-eggs-slowly-again
    adventures-first-such
    william-edgar-first

scolded-cat-larger-get
    late-cheshirecat-pig
    whats-oh-do-roof
    cats-awhile-shyly
    golden-dried-blasts

hearts-reading-things
    explain-thats-bit-not
    things-asking-beasts
    loudly-vanished-scream
    measure-sulky-man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Sans advertisers and, like, users, man.

Meanwhile I haven't heard much from https://joindiaspora.com/ lately

but it is open source and distributed -

I'd forgotten all about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Unless they are able to work off a wikipedia model of depending on voluntary donations, they will have to monetise the site eventually.
    Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There's a ferocious whack of deluded hipster off this.

They'll burn their way through a rake of VC money before either having to adopt a monetisation strategy or die without a sound

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

There's a ferocious whack of deluded hipster off this.

They'll burn their way through a rake of VC money before either having to adopt a monetisation strategy or die without a sound

Apparently the website is powered by bearded, fedora wearing men in jeans shorts on fixie bikes so they save a tonne on utility bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Apparently the website is powered by bearded, fedora wearing men in jeans shorts on fixie bikes so they save a tonne on utility bills.

They've no shortage of them in annyways. I hope it actually works out though, I'd rather my social network be ruled by bearded hipsters than that pie faced, wall eyed bollix zuckerberg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

So you think that having a preference for a social network, based on actual activity by your social network is stupid?

no, i was reply to you stating you'd only move if everyone you know on facebook moved first, i repeat, baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

no, i was reply to you stating you'd only move if everyone you know on facebook moved first, i repeat, baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Oh wow implying they are a sheep that's an original insult if i ever heard one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Invite only products. Nah.

Riiight. I don't think you actually understood what I wrote.

anncoates wrote: »
    Invite only products. Nah.

Well Gmail worked out ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Insulting people by calling them sheep for not blindly following the current trend that you're blindly following is hardly going to win anyone over.

Well Gmail worked out ok :)

True.

- anncoates@hotmail.com

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unless they are able to work off a wikipedia model of depending on voluntary donations, they will have to monetise the site eventually.
    Anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.
    well they could try to avoid funding by trying a peer to peer model like diaspora , but that didn't take off and it's got way more support in the open source community

TBH if they wan't a snowballs chance of getting this up and running then they have to prove they are better than diaspora and that just isn't going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is path still around? I liked their website but nobody took up it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Any chance of an invite :)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

I have one or two invites left. Anyone who wants one PM me with your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xerophyll

anyone else with anymore invites? would really appreciate it if i could get it :-)

"We believe in audacity. We believe in beauty, simplicity, and transparency".

Sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Sounds like a Calvin Klein ad.

I think I have a few invites (still getting used to ello's site) so if anyone wants one just pm me their email addy. :) Oh and put ello in the subject line please.

Advertisement