Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ello social networking sans advertisers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Keep getting offers but absolutely no info about what it actually is other than just another social networking website.

Sounds a bit hipsterish.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Keep getting offers but absolutely no info about what it actually is other than just another social networking website.

Sounds a bit hipsterish.

it's social networking without advertisers and corporations running the network, spying on, using, abusing and profiting on your every type, click, like, share, pm etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cheers, more information than anyone else has given me.

I wish it all the best, but remain abit skeptical as to how long it'll last

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

facebook has hundreds of thousands of servers

if this crew get that popular what are they going to to "power " them off ?

i doubt the equivalent of electric ireland accept drawings of fluffy bunny rabbits as settlement

you'd never know though

Cheers, more information than anyone else has given me.

I wish it all the best, but remain abit skeptical as to how long it'll last

are you on facebook or any other social network space yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

So a protest social network against a social network which is voluntarily joined?

Sounds dope.

So a protest social network against a social network which is voluntarily joined?

Sounds dope.

wut?

wut?

Their basis and USP is the slander (slightly heavy word) of another social network which is joined voluntarily. How about just avoiding social networks if you don't agree with them?

If anything the likes of social network sites such as facebook who share information are far more progressive than a social network that doesn't in the grand social spectrum.

But I guess it's cool to be "exclusively" sticking it to the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

it's social networking without advertisers and corporations running the network, spying on, using, abusing and profiting on your every type, click, like, share, pm etc

So they pay for servers exactly how?

And spare me their BS on the webpage, done in typewriter font to show how authentic they are. They are going to offer features you can pay for. What happens when costs exceed income?

Of course they won't sell your info, absolutely not....until they do....and they will leave the website as they say, out of the sheer horror of selling your info and feel disgusted wallowing in the 1 billion they sold it for.

Seriously please tell me you don't believe this...

Their basis and USP is the slander (slightly heavy word) of another social network which is joined voluntarily. How about just avoiding social networks if you don't agree with them?

If anything the likes of social network sites such as facebook who share information are far more progressive than a social network that doesn't in the grand social spectrum.

But I guess it's cool to be "exclusively" sticking it to the man.

it's only slander if it's not true and people may well have joined facebook voluntarily but that was long before evidence came out about how dodgy they are. i wonder if people would get their backs up just as quick as in this post if social networking until now was all nice as pie and then someone created facebook with it's lean towards monatising your private info. christ almighty people, this is a thread about a new social network site that pledges to not sell your private info and let you communicate with freiends, family etc more securely and some of you are ready to attack this whole plan for some daft reason

• Advertisement

it's only slander if it's not true and people may well have joined facebook voluntarily but that was long before evidence came out about how dodgy they are. i wonder if people would get their backs up just as quick as in this post if social networking until now was all nice as pie and then someone created facebook with it's lean towards monatising your private info. christ almighty people, this is a thread about a new social network site that pledges to not sell your private info and let you communicate with freiends, family etc more securely and some of you are ready to attack this whole plan for some daft reason

It was never hidden,it has always been stated from day one. The whole reason social media is able to survive is due to the selling of information and advertising,in fact that's what social media is to the core.

If people are really only being shocked and suprised by this,then they had it coming in my opinion. This whole thing stinks of a Kony type operation from the usual suspects.

We'll see where the founders priorities lie when facebook wave a fat cheque in their faces and your information is re-sold. After all,a business plan with no revenue source seems a bit scammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Sign me up then.

Vandango wrote: »
    Sign me up then.

got me invite earlier, tis a bit quiet over there but sure it's early days yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shajos

I'm really interesting in trying ello but i haven't got invited :/
    Can anybody here invite me? I'm really sorry if this sounds rude or annoying

shajos wrote: »
    I'm really interesting in trying ello but i haven't got invited :/
    Can anybody here invite me? I'm really sorry if this sounds rude or annoying

i would but my 5 are gone already

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You're saying it's free and without any catches. Sounds legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 shajos

Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah im sure that once they reach their target they wont all of a sudden sell all your information and spam advertising at you.

Better the devil you know imo, also adblocker isn't hard to download and you can disable it for sites like boards.ie who i don't mind helping out with ad views

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have been living in the Netherlands for almost three years now, and despite the fact that all of my internet activities are conducted in English, all the "directed" advertising I get is in Dutch.

I am not overly worried about how much data corporations are getting about me, if three years later they still don't know I speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Tbh it's social networking with none of my friends present. Google+ mark 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It would be nice if there was a 4chan-esque once its gone from the first few pages its gone for good. More volatile sharing where theres no such thing as looking back over several years of 'omg just having predrinkies with the girlos'. Just post up a picture, people can talk under it, whatever what-have-you and once people forget about it, it's forgotten about on the server. Also the option to archive things that you feel are worthwhile, and these would stay on your page longterm. This would save on storage of billions of images, too, and mean that there's no worrying about the selling of your information because bar your name, username and email, all they would have is pinned posts, rather than several years of compiled I like this, that and here's me tagged in at starbucks.

I'm on ello if someone wants an invite they can PM me.(all gone) You only get 5 invites each but if you invite yourself on another account you can obviously use that to get 5 more. It's nice and quick, there's nothing really bloaty about it just white page peoples text and some images. View counter rather than 'likes' which is nice.

Your 'friends' list is broken up into friends & noise. People don't know what group they're on so nobody will be offended, and it basically just means you can click between looking at the people you find interesting/not annoying, and when you run out of that content you can switch over to noise and just see what else is going on. Very like groups on G+, however this is much more simple and there's no wondering about which of the 17 circles you're going to assign this person to. It's like following someone on twitter, except you can have a two feeds. It's a good feature.

Very minimal design, so prepare for people to be slagging it off as 'hipster' when in reality it's just plain and not very fussy. You can have .gifs in your posts so it'll end up being a mix between tumblr, facebook, and twitter, without the likes and retweets that generally always end up voting cute animals, boobs, dying soldiers giving inspiring messages.. etc etc. to the top. so hopefully that doesn't happen here.

It's missing a lot of the things we've grown accustomed to, I'm not sure if this is more of a feature or a bug, but it's very facebook 2006 or dare i say, bebo where you're going to peoples pages to check out what they're up to, rather than just scrolling eternally on your news feed cursing the loud annoying minority who somehow get 70 likes for a picture of a cup of coffee.

Will it stick around? Probably not unless they get their act together and impress the people who ONLY use facebook to post pictures of their coffee and tag themselves at locations.

All they really need is IRC chat and it would be very usable at the moment IMHO.

it's nice that I'll get to pretend I'll be able to leave facebook for a while :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm keen to try it out, if anyone has an invite can they let me know please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm keen to try it out, if anyone has an invite can they let me know please?

pmed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

How much does it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You're saying it's free and without any catches. Sounds legit.

"If you're not paying for the product, you are the product."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok I got in, first impressions - disappointing. They say its beautiful, I think its ugly and confusing. I predict this will get loads of noise for a few weeks/months and then die off slowly.

As much as people hate facebook its successful for a reason. I personally dont care if they are targeting advertising at me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its just another new thing pretentious people (hipsters) can join and then say to their friends "ill contact you on ello.... oh youv'e never heard of it...... its the NEW facebook"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Couldn't be bothered starting all over again from Facebook, I've everything set up and securitised and privatised and blah blah just how I like it and I'm not seeing anything awesomely new and exciting enough to give me enough reason to move on.
    Meh.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah im sure that once they reach their target they wont all of a sudden sell all your information and spam advertising at you.

Better the devil you know imo, also adblocker isn't hard to download and you can disable it for sites like boards.ie who i don't mind helping out with ad views

OMG!! i won't even bother to try explain how ar$eways you have it if you think people are only bothered about seeing the ads in their browsers!! :eek:
    c_man wrote: »
    Tbh it's social networking with none of my friends present. Google+ mark 2.

when i joined facebook very few people i knew were on it, give it a few days to a week and after your network sends round invites it will be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I signed up for it a while back, looks like it's exclusively populated by beards from london called quentin and the like

Advertisement