Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been scammed/grifted/had?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

nuxxx wrote: »
    Could write a crime drama based on that, riveting stuff

raymond chandler stuff alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It was nice of you to walk with him into town :pac:

he looked like life had beat him down or else he was a crack addict or something strange:pac:

i felt sorry for him and in hindsight should have given him everything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Got some dude saying he was from south Africa and giving me some long spiel about money for a hostel for his gf. Took out his wallet and showed me the 20 euro he already had and added something about needing more

Go away will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

cloud493 wrote: »
    When I was younger, the new PSP games console had just come out, and it was sold out in all the shops, I was gutted obviously. Came out of Game, two chaps asked me if I wanted a PSP off them, cheaper than Game! Delighted I was, they said I had to give them the cash to buy it, then they'd meet me at a well known spot in 20 minutes. Me being arguably the stupidest I've ever been, handed them over £120 cash, sure I was gonna have a brand new PSP in 20 minutes. Surprise surprise, they didn't show up, I waited literally 3 hours for them :( *

*Turned out my mum actually knew who they were, went round their house that evening,and I don't know what she did/said but they came round, gave me my money back and a meek apology, than ran off with their tails between their legs.

Thats the most adorable thing i heard all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Parked in the Aldi car park in Santry and spotted some guy about to take his trolley back.
    Me: "Here I'll take that from you, there's €2 in it right?
    Guy: "yeah no bother bud"
    Me: "there's €2, thanks.

Returned the trolley after shopping and turns out there is only a €1 coin in it. I hope I never meet the Cnut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well that's his UPC Sky Sports package covered so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Hoop66

yuloni wrote: »

That's made me laugh like a loon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Was at the ATM in Camden St last year taking about €600 out. Must have been someone watching me because when I got to the top of the street 10 mins later I was approached by a North African guy who crossed the road from the parking meter. He asked me in broken English for change of €5. I didn't suspect a thing and took out my wallet which had a coin pocket in the front (but you could still see the notes in the note part). I took out 2 x 2 and 1 euro coins to give to him but he started saying 'no, teen, teen'. I didn't understand him and said 'what?' and he repeated it. I took out some 10c coins to show him and he repeated it again. He then started poking around in the coin section. I was getting frustrated at this stage and said again 'I don't understand you'. 'Teen, teen' he repeated still poking in my purse.

By now I'm fed up with him. I go to pull my wallet away and suddenly spot the empty part where my €600 used to be :eek:. I quickly smacked his hand away from the wallet and the €600 falls out of his hand onto the ground. So I let a roar out of me 'Robber' and he swiftly legs it. Luckily for me he didn't stop to pick up the money so I was able to recover it. I phoned the police but he was probably in another county by then! I now keep my coins seperately! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,115 ✭✭✭✭Esel

yuloni wrote: »
    I had Brain Salad Surgery once, but I loaned it to a friend and never got it back. That was probably a good thing... :)

Not your ornery onager

I got scammed at a music festival once. Chelmsford it was when Blur and pulp and Blurs kitten girlfridn were all playing. 1997 probably? Someone can correct me on that.

I was buying tout tickets to get in as it was well sold out. And even at that young age I had the clarity of mind to check the ticket over totally and perfectly to verify it. But my naiviety kicked in when I was dumb ass enough to let the tout hold the ticket while I fished out my money. And he basically did a sleight of hand switch-a-roo while I was doing so.

With the result the ticket I got to the door with was not the ticket I had so cleverly checked over. Amazingly however the guy on the door took pity on me when I told him the funny story of how I was so sure I had bought a good ticket but it had been switched on me - that he just kinda ushered me in all the same. So my one scam experience actually ended up with me getting what I paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

In one way you got scammed and then proceeded to scam the ticket checker with your sob story that may well have been fake.

But on the other hand it is like you never got scammed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Frynge wrote: »
    In one way you got scammed and then proceeded to scam the ticket checker with your sob story that may well have been fake.

But on the other hand it is like you never got scammed at all.

He didn't scam the ticket checker in any way. His story wasn't fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Ormus wrote: »
    He didn't scam the ticket checker in any way. His story wasn't fake.

I suppose your right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Was at the ATM in Camden St last year taking about €600 out. Must have been someone watching me because when I got to the top of the street 10 mins later I was approached by a North African guy who crossed the road from the parking meter. He asked me in broken English for change of €5. I didn't suspect a thing and took out my wallet which had a coin pocket in the front (but you could still see the notes in the note part). I took out 2 x 2 and 1 euro coins to give to him but he started saying 'no, teen, teen'. I didn't understand him and said 'what?' and he repeated it. I took out some 10c coins to show him and he repeated it again. He then started poking around in the coin section. I was getting frustrated at this stage and said again 'I don't understand you'. 'Teen, teen' he repeated still poking in my purse.

By now I'm fed up with him. I go to pull my wallet away and suddenly spot the empty part where my €600 used to be :eek:. I quickly smacked his hand away from the wallet and the €600 falls out of his hand onto the ground. So I let a roar out of me 'Robber' and he swiftly legs it. Luckily for me he didn't stop to pick up the money so I was able to recover it. I phoned the police but he was probably in another county by then! I now keep my coins seperately! :o

There are such a host of errors here, seems like some of the worst things to do, it does sound like its almost better not to even carry cash around.
    Anyone who gives money to anyone in this manner (€5) nearly deserves to be robbed. TBH you are asking to get punched in the face, seriously, you could get a right smack and they pick up the wallet and run, you're too shocked and maybe bloody with a broken nose to even consider chasing them.
    Not in this order
    1. best dont engage with them 2. be careful at ATM's,
    if need be dont take out money, Im suprised those machines dont have a duress option or another number for duress which only gives out a covered amount but creates an immediate alarm, but as you had the money out already, not exactly relevant.
    Anyway
    3. When someone even attempts to poke around in your wallet, you either run, roar/scream, go into a shop or somewhere public, or you kick them so hard in the knee or stamp on the ankle that you intend to do an injury, but its best to even avoid that altogether.

For the most part I dont carry cash or much of it, but not really for this reason, Mostly, I get cashback at reliable places and check my receipt, still, I recommend just guard inputting your PIN and dont take out cash in dodgy places, despite most of this it is still possible to get robbed/scammed Im sure, in your example they could just hold a knife or needle to someone and demand the money.

The unfortunate or maybe fortunate consequence of this is, that rather than even avoiding even authorised collectors of change, I dont even bother avoiding their attention, just a blank not interested look, although thats for a few other reasons too.
    As for unauthorised collectors of change, its best to avoid the situation occuring (do not be seen taking out large sums of money, if you have to or have a large sum of money, DO NOT take out your wallet/purse, failing avoiding that, prevent it developing further if it has, keep as much of an eye on them, with as minimal engagement as possible, dependent on how much they might push it or are likely to get hostile, extricate yourself depending on where you are/their numbers and deflect them with as much as a softly approach. I myself would be wary of starting to be hostile with someone as it might provoke an argument where it might not have existed or someone/others previously unseen may swoop in to aid the original scam artist.
    I do believe if people either think or estimate someone wont engage or is likely to defend themselves, they move on to the next target. I usually seem to have the need of a pen and sometimes keep a spare on me too, accessible, if attacked I would not be writing their name down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Back in 1996 I was working in Dunnes. 2 lads that worked with me headed up to Dublin shopping. Got the bus all the way to Busaras. While walking from there to O'Connell street they got mugged and had their wallets emptied by a guy with a knife.

They had hidden money in their socks so headed to them underground toilets that were on O'Connell street. While retrieving the cash a guy with a syringe held them up and swiped all of that. Headed straight back to Busaras and the same bus driver was getting ready to drive back to Newbridge.

Poor fückers, was their first time alone in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Couple of years back my brother traded a custom made air-soft age rifle (value €400ish) for a genuine real life eotech scope or so he thought on the airsoft adverts forum, turns out the scope was a replica worth only €30 at most and not the real world one which the other guy said it was. The real would be worth roughly €400. Guy on the other end stopped answering his phone, no reply whatsoever for a few days. My brother was so annoyed and rightly so because he had been had. We thought we had exhausted all avenues in getting this guy to reply to us until I decided to try something unorthodox. I googled his phone number which brought up the guys Facebook page, the gob****e had done a check in at his "comfy bed" that very night so we had the chaps address. Safe to say he answered his phone in record time when my brother text him a screenshot of his address and said he was on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ashes79

We

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I actually got a email Tuesday night proporting to be from a woman I know saying she was in Turkey and lost all her money etc. Wanted me to wire her money.

I replied back for the crack asking was she ok,had she got it sorted. Then got a email back this morning asking me to wire her 2250, haven't replied back yet :)

Poor Brenda. I hope she's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm trying to sell my car at the minute and I'd say it's not worth more than €500. Last Sunday I had a call from a man in his early fifties who seemed interested in buying it. I'm a 26yr old girl and was at home alone at the time so id say he saw ample opportunity to pull a fast one on me. He proceeded to tell me how he wouldn't be interested in buying the car from me as it's for the graveyard and I'd be lucky to sell it so someone for €200. It's for the scrap heap he was saying and pointing out all these things that were apparently wrong with it, "damaged this and worn that". Really I was saying sure it passed the nct in January it can't be that bad, he was saying no sure it would need a new timing belt and everything. I completely fell for it. He then proceeds to tell me he knows a lad who will do me a favour and take it off my hands and scrap if for €120. After him telling me what a pile of balls the thing was €120 seemed like a promising offer at that stage! I said sound thanks a million give me a ring tomorrow and ill hand it over.

Luckily my uncle popped into me that evening and I was telling him how this nice man was coming tomorrow to take the car from me until he informed me that these two lads are well known for doing this to people! They're well known and my description matched his. They go around to vulnerable, non the wiser car owners (muggins here) and deprave the car in such a way that you'll be glad they take it for scrap for €100! They then sell it on for what it's actually worth and you're left out of pocket! Couldn't believe how convincing he was, usually i would be wise to scams but he seemed so genuine! The lad rang me back the next morning and I told him to go and scratch! Sold it a few days ago for €500 as well. Sellers beware!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm trying to sell my car at the minute and I'd say it's not worth more than €500. Last Sunday I had a call from a man in his early fifties who seemed interested in buying it. I'm a 26yr old girl and was at home alone at the time so id say he saw ample opportunity to pull a fast one on me. He proceeded to tell me how he wouldn't be interested in buying the car from me as it's for the graveyard and I'd be lucky to sell it so someone for €200. It's for the scrap heap he was saying and pointing out all these things that were apparently wrong with it, "damaged this and worn that". Really I was saying sure it passed the nct in January it can't be that bad, he was saying no sure it would need a new timing belt and everything. I completely fell for it. He then proceeds to tell me he knows a lad who will do me a favour and take it off my hands and scrap if for €120. After him telling me what a pile of balls the thing was €120 seemed like a promising offer at that stage! I said sound thanks a million give me a ring tomorrow and ill hand it over. Luckily my uncle popped into me that evening and I was telling him how this nice man was coming tomorrow to take the car from me until he informed me that these two lads are well known for doing this to people! They go around to vulnerable, non the wiser car owners (muggins here) and deprave the car in such a way that you'll be glad they take it for scrap for €100! The lad rang me back the next morning and I told him to go and scratch! Sold it a few days ago for €500 as well. Sellers beware!!

Feel sorry for the new owner:D

Just because there is nct though that is a plus doesn't mean the car is great.

Well done though for not going ahead but surprised you weren't offered a swap or a push bike as is what usually happens these days.

Feel sorry for the new owner:D

Just because there is nct though that is a plus doesn't mean the car is great.

Well done though for not going ahead but surprised you weren't offered a swap or a push bike as is what usually happens these days.

I know ya but the things he was saying were wrong with it were clearly made up as the new owner had her dad with her who knew a lot about cars and they were happy enough with it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I think the common thread in all these stories is idiocy. If I've taken out the maximun amount of cash out of an ATM then that money is not coming out until I'm read to spend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I think the common thread in all these stories is idiocy. If I've taken out the maximun amount of cash out of an ATM then that money is not coming out until I'm read to spend it.
    That happened in "all these stories"?

Can't believe you let some stranger have a poke around in your purse!?!! Wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Years ago in Spain I was surrounded by a load of women talking ****e! picked up my wallet luckily only 20 quid in it b!tches!

Recently was at my parents home & said some fella knocked on the door saying he wanted to take the battery that was left in the front yard. I just sad no you can't at that making sure I also stepped outside so that he wouldn't take it. I didn't like his tone or manor he became aggressive even raising his voice slightly saying sure its nothing but scrap I'll take it off you. It was an extremely strange encounter & he terrified the life out of me. I'm glad I stuck to my guns. I didn't like him one bit. Anyhow turns out it was a new battery bought earlier that morning.

Working in Retail see quiet a bit change scams, picking up items of shelves with some kind of story attached looking for a full refund etc etc.

Shoplifters the usual stuff though some are fcuken brilliant at it though they get caught out with eventually. One girl recently after been caught was bawling saying its only to feed my kids blah blah I won't come back give me a chance! Once asked empty bag full of high value items cosmetics hmm they'd have gone hungry! likely just selling them on to feed there habits (poor kids)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

cuana wrote: »
    Recently was at my parents home & said some fella knocked on the door saying he wanted to take the battery that was left in the front yard. I just sad no you can't at that making sure I also stepped outside so that he wouldn't take it. I didn't like his tone or manor he became aggressive even raising his voice slightly saying sure its nothing but scrap I'll take it off you. It was an extremely strange encounter & he terrified the life out of me. I'm glad I stuck to my guns. I didn't like him one bit. Anyhow turns out it was a new battery bought earlier that morning.

Not a great place to leave a battery, either accessible or on the ground. Ive been told and it seems to make sense that, its close to ground/earth electrically speaking and will help make it go flat, permanently, better on a wooden bench or other insulator.
    I'm no fan of people turning up unannounced or at all to help me out by relieving me of items, so I make a point not to leave stuff out as it attracts the wrong attention, plus, I've seen people doing collections and not long after you'll see an increase in items in hedges, pick out what they want and dump the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

In Santa Monica, an old homeless guy stopped and introduced himself, and said something about his tours of duty in Korea. He might have even saluted, but it was 12 years ago so I'm not sure. He told me then that the off-licence wouldn't serve him because he had offended the Korean guy behind the counter by calling him a Chinaman. He gave me $4 and asked me to go in and buy him a $2 bottle of beer and to keep $2 for myself.

What beer specifically, I asked, because I'm useless at shopping, but he wouldn't specify. Just any $2 beer. So I handed him back $2 (I wasn't going to keep $2 for myself) and went into the shop. I couldn't find any $2 beers, so I bought a $4 beer using his $2 and $2 of my own.

Went out and handed it to him in the brown bag. He turned around and walked off very quickly without a word. Not so chatty any more. Afterwards I realized that there are probably no $2 bottles of beer in that shop, and he gets his beer for half price with this trick. If I had realized, I should have handed him a bottle of water in the brown bag just for the thought of him opening it down on the beach and finding out.

I also think that the damn Chinaman had a smirk on his face; he probably saw some eejit falling for the same trick every couple of hours.

Advertisement