Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been scammed/grifted/had?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Yeah Ive been had......

Wut wait define had...... :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

cloud493 wrote: »
    Aye, I then had to endure my mum taking the money off me and doling it out to me in small amounts cos of my utter stupidity :o still, learning experience and all that.

Awww. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

This is a classic scam that is used to try to con many people out of money from banks/post offices/credit unions/etc. (usually, but not always, this scam is perpetrated by two individuals of the foreign extraction; more specifically Romanian extraction... hey, I don't make the rules! The fact is that most of the perps in this particular scam happen to hail from Vampire Land, so it ain't my fault! I'm just passing on the good word!)

Anyway, the scam works that the two perps walk into the place, up to the cashier with a big wad of €50 notes. They then ask, in suitably broken English, to change this amount into €20 notes. The cashier complies, then all of a sudden, our Continental cousins change their mind. They usually claim they wanted Pound Sterling or something else, but not €20 notes. They ask for their original wad of €50's back. Using distracting chatter and sleight of hand, they get their €50's back, and the poor sucker behind the counter is left somewhere between €200 and €500 light once they get their €20's back. The two perps are gone before the fact is realised.

Twice, they've tried this with me in work. In fairness to An Post, if it is known that these fúckers are on the prowl, you'll receive a warning about it. So we usually are aware that they're in the area. The first time, I played along, strung them along, gave them their €20's... then flat-out refused to hand them back their own €50's (all of which were genuine €50's, by the way... I didn't get double-bluffed with forgeries). They started getting stroppy and everything. I picked up the phone and rang the local cop shop. You've never seen two lads leave quicker. Fúcking up yours, motherfúckers.

Second time, they caught me in a bad mood. I flat out refused to play ball and just told them to piss off and called the law. They scarpered sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I've been offered cheap goods a few times, but never went for it. I also tried to buy an expensive pedigree kitten recently and they wrote me an email saying they're not in the country but can arrange delivery if i pay X up front :rolleyes: ****ing scamming for a cat..

I've seen a couple of people getting scammed. In the pub one night, a local lad sitting across from us got done by the oul laptop switcharoo trick. It was my first time seeing it, saw the whole thing live outside when we were smoking, right up to when he took the "laptop" inside and found two liters of milk and the independent.

Walked into the toilet of a pub one night, to see a small drug transaction happening. Guy who sold it left, guy who bought it went into the toilet only to come out going nuts because he'd be sold a small bag of cotton wool. Pretty funny

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

D Trent wrote: »
    Eh ........the phone is obviously in the box so open it dumbass

Jesus

Of course! *Flies down to the kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

vicM wrote: »
    Of course! *Flies down to the kitchen

I'm going to predict there is actually no phone in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Outside Aldi in D22 one day waiting on taxi to get home and 2 lads of irish ethnic minority pull up and offer me an Inspiron 1500 (worth about 450 at the time) for €50, i said yeah sure give me the laptop to check it doesnt have ID10T errors on it. Confused they hand me the laptop and i turn it on and make sure it boots. Offer them the 50 there and then and holding onto the laptop they say "give it back and we will put it in the laptop bag for you".

Nope tis grand as it is. heres your 50.....

Sweet laptop still going strong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Fuq it, wish I'd thought of that. As I said, put on the spot - brain freeze.

In the 20 mins before I left work I thought I'll ask to see fuel gauge before I put fuel in , he told me he was from a place I know is a hour long drive , so I thought if he has a quarter of a tank I'll be keeping my money.

I wish I'd hung around and went on the look out for this person .

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

Sand wrote: »
    I'm going to predict there is actually no phone in the box.

I knew that on that rather sunny July afternoon..
    Classic switcheroo trick I believe it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

This one time in Paris. I was waiting at the airport about to get into a taxi and a guy said 'taxis are so damn expensive, want to share?' and foolishly I agreed. And then I got taken.

• Advertisement

cazzer22 wrote: »
    This one time in Paris. I was waiting at the airport about to get into a taxi and a guy said 'taxis are so damn expensive, want to share?' and foolishly I agreed. And then I got taken.

Yeah, but you had Liam Neeson rescue you, while kicking ass and taking names. Fúcking epic!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Outside Aldi in D22 one day waiting on taxi to get home and 2 lads of irish ethnic minority pull up and offer me an Inspiron 1500 (worth about 450 at the time) for €50, i said yeah sure give me the laptop to check it doesnt have ID10T errors on it. Confused they hand me the laptop and i turn it on and make sure it boots. Offer them the 50 there and then and holding onto the laptop they say "give it back and we will put it in the laptop bag for you".

Nope tis grand as it is. heres your 50.....

Sweet laptop still going strong :D

I call bollox on this...bet you bought a Argos book for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

When I was a teen, standing asking people to buy me drink outside the off-licence. Why did we pick the one off-licence in the area with two entrances/exits?

Happened twice or three times (we were stupid teens asking randoms for booze back then - give us a break) before we realised it'd be intelligent to split up and have a lad on each door. First time a guy tried it he went around the other exit, then tried the other one again when he saw us, then just gave us our money back when he realised the gig was up. A win is a win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I bought a house....biggest scam ever

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Born in Ireland another scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Over the last month I became a victim of a clever 'Eastern European'scam while out shopping. Simply dropping into Tesco's for a bit of shopping resulted in the following...... Don't be naïve enough to thinkit couldn't happen to you or your friends.Here's how the scam works:Two very good looking voluptuous 20-21 year-old girls came over to my car as I was packing my shopping into the boot. They both started cleaning my windscreen, their boobs almost falling out of their skimpyT-shirts.When I thanked them and offered them a tip, they said 'No' and instead asked me for a lift to another supermarket. I agreed and they both got in the back seat.Onthe way, they started undressing, and both got completely in thebuff.Then, when I pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbed over into the front seat and started crawling all over my lap, trying to kiss me and touch me intimately, thrusting herself against me.While the other one stole my wallet! I had my wallet stolen July 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th,20th, 24th, and 29th.Also August 1st, 4th, 6th,10th and twice yesterday.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Over the last month I became a victim of a clever 'Eastern European'scam while out shopping. Simply dropping into Tesco's for a bit of shopping resulted in the following...... Don't be naïve enough to thinkit couldn't happen to you or your friends.Here's how the scam works:Two very good looking voluptuous 20-21 year-old girls came over to my car as I was packing my shopping into the boot. They both started cleaning my windscreen, their boobs almost falling out of their skimpyT-shirts.When I thanked them and offered them a tip, they said 'No' and instead asked me for a lift to another supermarket. I agreed and they both got in the back seat.Onthe way, they started undressing, and both got completely in thebuff.Then, when I pull over to remonstrate, one of them climbed over into the front seat and started crawling all over my lap, trying to kiss me and touch me intimately, thrusting herself against me.While the other one stole my wallet! I had my wallet stolen July 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th,20th, 24th, and 29th.Also August 1st, 4th, 6th,10th and twice yesterday.

oldy but a goody;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What are you on about?

What are you on about?

We are scammed every day would have thought would have understood.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭KilOit

Oh god the horror! love to be born in Somalia or North Korea

• Advertisement

Reminded of this by a post above... guess which one... :P

I was at the Italian Grand Prix a few years back, great laugh. But in the stands, I noticed there was a bloke standing leaning against a wall. Every so often, he'd pat his thigh, then a few minutes later he'd pat his arse, then he might pat his chest. I was wondering "what the fúck is he at?!"

Then I spotted an incredibly beautiful and voluptuous woman walking through the crowd of (mostly) men in the stands. She would on occasion, suddenly and aggressively, thrust herself upon a man. Kissing and stroking him and making him feel like the luckiest bloke alive. She would complete the act with a seductive look, wink and a shake of the arse...

Of course, this was after she had liberated the man of his wallet... having been signalled by her parter (the bloke leaning on the wall) as to where on his person the "lucky" man had been keeping his wallet.

Fúcking genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

I got a letter through my door saying these guys want me to pay them money for water! Sure, that stuff just falls out of the sky. They must think I was born yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Years ago on boards or adverts I sold a piece of computer hardware for all of €30. I met the guy outside work and when he was handing me the cash he was looking really shifty, but being too polite I just pocketed it, told him if he had any problems to come back to me. That shiftiness was because he'd folded two €5s to look like a €20 wrapped in a €10. To this day I still can't get over why someone would be such a miserable c*nt for the sake of a €10. But lesson learned - if I'm ever selling (or indeed buying) anything money is counted out in plan view. Sold loads of stuff then to really nice people, but there's always one.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

dazberry wrote: »
    Years ago on boards or adverts I sold a piece of computer hardware for all of €30. I met the guy outside work and when he was handing me the cash he was looking really shifty, but being too polite I just pocketed it, told him if he had any problems to come back to me. That shiftiness was because he'd folded two €5s to look like a €20 wrapped in a €10. To this day I still can't get over why someone would be such a miserable c*nt for the sake of a €10. But lesson learned - if I'm ever selling (or indeed buying) anything money is counted out in plan view. Sold loads of stuff then to really nice people, but there's always one.

D.
    Can you post how to do that 5+5 = 30 trick? Could come in handy if buying a laptop/phone from some random ethnick...

And it was for the sake of €20, not €10.

Hardware still working fine, btw. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Just last month, and I don't get taken easily.

Moving house, had booked a company, decent website, decent interaction by emails etc.
    Had booked a 3.5 ton truck and 3 guys for 6 hours.
    They turned up exactly on time, but it was gippo Romanians instead of the local Austrians I'd expected.
    No worries, I'll watch them.
    Turns out they'd only sent 2 guys and a transit van, but no worries, they'll call for the truck, but would start loading the transit van straight away.
    Gave me a form to sign that they were here at 8am.
    All good, the truck turned up with 3 guys.
    They asked if I wanted all 5 guys to stay, it would cost more per hour but shorter time, so the same price.
    Yeah no worries.

They flew through the stuff, taking all the small stuff and bags of clothes

Then the boss man walked in, and I knew straight away it was bad news.
    King of the Romanian pikeys!
    He took the form id signed snd started filling in blank lines with stuff like
    " €800 insurance" " 250 parking costs"
    " 300 heavy furniture charges" " 100 before 9am start"

I was like, what the fûck, is this a joke, we agreed 600 all in.
    He laughed and said it would be 2400.
    We had a huge fight ( bear in mind my German is bad, at best) and there is now 6 of them aggressively shouting at me.

They pulled down the shutters of the truck and said no more work until we pay.

I said to bring everything back up and get the fûck out of my house, or is call the police
    He said it was now 11am, would be 12 by the time the police come, 2pm by the time they bought the stuff back.
    6 hours labour for 6 guys = 800 just to get my stuff back. And it's legal as I'd signed the form.

Anyway, after a long fight, they agreed to do the rest of the move for 1000 cash.
    I gave in and gave them the cash.
    The delivered the transit van of stuff and didn't come back for the rest.

Cost me 1000 to shift bags of clothes basically.

In hindsight I should have taken my chances and called the police, it just happened so quickly and do pressured

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

FanadMan wrote: »
    Got stopped by the same guy twice within a year in Letterkenny. First time he said he was driving a van full of tvs, stereos etc and ran out of diesel a couple of miles out the road and could I loan him 20 and when he gets the van in I could have a free tv. I made excuses and walked away.

Less than a year later at the same spot, here comes the same "boss" with the same story. I let him go through his spiel until the end and let rip at him at the top of my voice to make sure everyone heard me :-D He claimed ignorance but just told him to feck off. No idea if he managed to get that van started lol

They are the scum of the earth.
    Went to manor to do a job for them in their estate "halting site" "Meet u there boss" time I got there couple of lads let me in. Before I started got a call from the lovely man who had to rush his poor wife to the hospital. "U work away its busy here but I'll be back to pay in a hour" I waited and did not get out of my machine. Phoned me 10 mins later to ask why I had not started job, obviously he had been informed. I proceed to leave only to be stopped by a few well fed ladies who were telling me to do the job "he'll not be happy they said". Fugg him I said. For a God fearing people they are dishonest shower of gunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Esel wrote: »
    And it was for the sake of €20, not €10.

2x €5 wrapped in a €10 = €20. I'd be very surprised if the hardware was still working at this point!!

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

KilOit wrote: »
    Oh god the horror! love to be born in Somalia or North Korea

hey they have it easy over there.....

DazMarz wrote: »
    Reminded of this by a post above... guess which one... :P

I was at the Italian Grand Prix a few years back, great laugh. But in the stands, I noticed there was a bloke standing leaning against a wall. Every so often, he'd pat his thigh, then a few minutes later he'd pat his arse, then he might pat his chest. I was wondering "what the fúck is he at?!"

Then I spotted an incredibly beautiful and voluptuous woman walking through the crowd of (mostly) men in the stands. She would on occasion, suddenly and aggressively, thrust herself upon a man. Kissing and stroking him and making him feel like the luckiest bloke alive. She would complete the act with a seductive look, wink and a shake of the arse...

Of course, this was after she had liberated the man of his wallet... having been signalled by her parter (the bloke leaning on the wall) as to where on his person the "lucky" man had been keeping his wallet.

Fúcking genius.

that was like the thing in mission impossible 2 only without tom cruise

• Advertisement

anyone ever get caught with the wrong change scam. happened me a filling station. it was early in the morning and i was getting my coffee. I was fierce tired. so i handed the lad a tenner and he gives me back a two euro for change (or there abouts). but it was change for a fiver not a tenner.

And i walked out and i was pretty sure i had given him a tenner. Anyway i got in contact with the upper brass of the company and it turned out they have a camera at every till and i was right. Dont know what happened to the bloke though.

Advertisement