Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Hell In A Cell 2014 Pre Show && PPV Thread *Spoilers* **no stream requests**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

So.. Probably a really bad place to say this but a very good PPV. The Bellas actually had a wrestling match, Ziggler vs Cesaro stole the show, Rollins wins by heelish methods (perfect), Ambrose looks very strong in defeat (unlike SummerSlam), AJ vs Paige was good and set up a Fox face turn and new feud for Paige, the tag team match was good (even if The Usos are getting worse as time goes by) and Bray's back. I'm happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Bray Wyatt can honestly go away.

What is the point? This feud should have been settled tonight and it wasn't. What's the point of Bray being involved? Is he going to go over Ambrose? If he does Ambrose looks weaker. If Ambrose goes over him then Bray just fades into the background once again.

Wyatt has failed. HHH needs to realise that and stop throwing him at the hottest product all the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Looks to me that the Ambrose v Rollins feud only continued as Reigns was injured so they didn't need to have a Final Battle as they will be battling for years to come anyway.

I figured Bray would return and spoil the main event, put thought that would be Cena v Orton. Hoped it may lead to Cena and Orton teaming up to take on Wyatts.

They need Wyatt back and they need to treat him as a big deal as they only have four guys right now that they can rely on week in week out to main event.

Now they turned that in 3 feuds with Brock due back and putting Wyatt in a feud with one of the four.

Brock v Cena
    Orton v Rollins
    Ambrose v Wyatt.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I know the whole point is to get people to buy the PPV but I also thought that the point was to not screw the people who bought the PPV?

Not after Cole, JBL & Lawler were making fun of people buying the PPV and paying $50+ when they could get it for $9.99.

So I guess I'm the only one who didn't like the match then?

Just couldn't connect with me like their previous match ups. I had super high expectations going into this, and they weren't even met half way. Thought the cell bump was weak, and stalled the match for too long. After that it just became a few spots and a bull**** finish. I expected it to be spot heavy, but at least have something else between the spots. Both men are capable of so much better, and it says something that I enjoyed Cena/Orton more

I think the feud only continued because of Reigns injury, the match itself was to further the idea of them hating each other more than bringing finality to it. These two will be connected, battling for years to come. They will have much better wrestling matches in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I really don't like that we didn't get the clean ending to Rollins vs Ambrose. Like...really don't. And with all the hopes I had for Ambrose coming out of the show, I feel like they missed the boat by screwing him out of the win (but hey, WWE has no desire for any babyface not named Cena to ever get a payoff).

I don't mind the idea of a Bray/Ambrose feud. The two should have good matches and some fun promos. But it's the fact that once again, WWE has asked fans to invest in a babyface, letting them think a payoff is coming, only to fail to pull the trigger again. This is why no one ever bothers getting invested in faces at a top level; they'll rarely if ever achieve their goals, and usually when they do, it's way past when it should have happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I enjoyed it thought it was a good show. Cesaro/Ziggler was enjoyable but could have been that much better with a few more minutes in my opinion. Tag match was fun too. Orton and Cena was grand but have seen it so many times it's just meh, shame Cena won. Main Event was a great spot fest. Dunno why everyone is complaining about that seeing as all of their prior encounters have just been spotfests to begin with. I think people need to realise Rollins is the one they're pushing hard as a heel and it's not as if they're treating Ambrose poorly either. Ambrose has been cheated out of everything recently but still being portrayed as strong with exciting matches and a fan favourite. Quite resembles how Bryan was booked last year. Reckon if he continues to be presented like this he'll be crazy over in a few months and people will look back on this with a different opinion (and this is coming from someone who still isn't completely sold on Ambrose). Happy to see Bray back, despite what anyone thinks/says the man is crazy talented and has been the subject of poor booking as opposed to anything of his own wrongdoing. Be interesting to see him now that the "reset" button has been partially hit on his character. And god knows WWE needs a strong heel that isn't an Authority lackey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

September PPV: Horseshit interference finish in the main event.
    October PPV: Horseshit interference finish in the main event.

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm filled with hope that Lesnar/Cena V will end in a totally clean finish.

Ambrose jobbing to Wyatt in the opening match at Survivor Series? It could happen...Daniel Bryan, Royal Rumble 2014. Everybody loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

It's just dragging out the inevitable. Nothing wrong with that!
    Ambrose going over Rollins eventually, after trying for ages will give more satisfaction than him going over Rollins now and the feud just stopping.

Some things just need a little time to be amazing.
    dil9u.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

September PPV: Horseshit interference finish in the main event.
    October PPV: Horseshit interference finish in the main event.

Why do you expect clean, decisive finishes in September and October? Business time in the WWE calendar is in April, everything else is just building towards that. How many more dozens of times will they have to do this before people start realising the cycle and anticipating it?

This happens (including the fan outrage) every...single...year...without fail. I joked on the podcast I do a few weeks back, "NFL is back so WWE is going into a lull, wait until some fans start declaring they're done with wrestling forever now. See you in January lads!" :pac:

• Advertisement

Deadlie wrote: »
    It's just dragging out the inevitable. Nothing wrong with that!
    Ambrose going over Rollins eventually, after trying for ages will give more satisfaction than him going over Rollins now and the feud just stopping.

Some things just need a little time to be amazing.
    dil9u.jpg

Bryan, imo, is an example where they got very lucky. The reality is his moment was pushed back and back and back, and likely wouldn't have come had Batista not been **** on by fans when he returned and had Punk not walked. And when he did get it...they capitalised by pushing him into a bore feud with Kane rather than push him as a top level guy...

More often than not, WWE never do have a payoff, or if they do, they do them way too late. Feuds in WWE tend not to end at a high point or with a climax, but tend to just peter out. Faces don't get those defining moments, but instead just fight the same person over and over and over until the fans stop caring, where we usually get a payoff that is just to get the story over with....and then usually gets a rematch the next night too.

Last night, Ambrose vs Rollins was at the high point, ready for a climax. It was in THE feud ending gimmick match, and the crowd were ready for it to end. Instead, we got another screwy finish, the feud will likely be put on the backburner and in a few months, they'll probably throw a few more matches together. But imo the fans will never be as hungry to see Ambrose get the win as they were last night.

Last night, they could have set Ambrose up as a top guy for the next few months. Could have started the Wyatt feud after a win, or on Raw tomorrow night. The fans wanted an Ambrose win last night, I'd imagine most bought the PPV for that moment (I doubt it was Cena/Orton #121, Dust/Usos #55 or AJ/Paige #76). And they were cheated about it. And next month, as we get Cena/Brock again, they'll be wondering why no one invests in new characters or buy the PPVs...

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bryan, imo, is an example where they got very lucky. The reality is his moment was pushed back and back and back, and likely wouldn't have come had Batista not been **** on by fans when he returned and had Punk not walked. And when he did get it...they capitalised by pushing him into a bore feud with Kane rather than push him as a top level guy...

More often than not, WWE never do have a payoff, or if they do, they do them way too late. Feuds in WWE tend not to end at a high point or with a climax, but tend to just peter out. Faces don't get those defining moments, but instead just fight the same person over and over and over until the fans stop caring, where we usually get a payoff that is just to get the story over with....and then usually gets a rematch the next night too.

Last night, Ambrose vs Rollins was at the high point, ready for a climax. It was in THE feud ending gimmick match, and the crowd were ready for it to end. Instead, we got another screwy finish, the feud will likely be put on the backburner and in a few months, they'll probably throw a few more matches together. But imo the fans will never be as hungry to see Ambrose get the win as they were last night.

Last night, they could have set Ambrose up as a top guy for the next few months. Could have started the Wyatt feud after a win, or on Raw tomorrow night. The fans wanted an Ambrose win last night, I'd imagine most bought the PPV for that moment (I doubt it was Cena/Orton #121, Dust/Usos #55 or AJ/Paige #76). And they were cheated about it. And next month, as we get Cena/Brock again, they'll be wondering why no one invests in new characters or buy the PPVs...

Between TV shows and PPVs WWE are taking the piss with all these repeat matches. Every week Dust Brothers and feuding single vs Usos and feuding single. Ziggler vs Cesaro fought twice before the PPV match. Brock vs Cena could now happen for the third time in four or five PPVs and the forth time since Lesnar returned. Every TV show has loads of repeats.

When they messed up Bryan they were being stupid as it wouldn't have harmed anyone else.

Ambrose situation is differant as they are trying to make a big deal out of his opponent who is also not established.

I am glad Rollins was looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

But imo the fans will never be as hungry to see Ambrose get the win as they were last night.

Surely the hottest feud at the moment with two of the hottest stars shouldn't end so early or on a B rated PPV? To me all that happened last night was a spanner was thrown in the works, with the aim of prolonging the hottest thing they currently have. Bray is just an obstacle on the way to the pay off.

People love hating Rolins. Ambrose is on the crest of a wave chasing down retribution. If they sit on it a while, it could be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

It seems to me that they want to do Ambrose vs Rollins at WM31 now.

Deadlie wrote: »
    Surely the hottest feud at the moment with two of the hottest stars shouldn't end so early or on a B rated PPV? To me all that happened last night was a spanner was thrown in the works, with the aim of prolonging the hottest thing they currently have. Bray is just an obstacle on the way to the pay off.

People love hating Rolins. Ambrose is on the crest of a wave chasing down retribution. If they sit on it a while, it could be brilliant.

To me, you want your feuds to end on a high. A story should build to a climax, and then, as a writer, you have to have the bravery to generate a satisfying conclusion at the height of the story. Not drag it on and on and on until it's cooling off. The feud didn't need a spanner in the works; we've had that multiple times over the last few months. We didn't need another obstacle. They could have delivered a pay off which showed the fans that B-PPVs are important to character development, rather than reinforcing the notion that there's no point buying a B-PPV, since nothing ever concludes on them.

It's unlikely they'll ever give the two the main event again soon; I can't see them giving them a rematch anytime in the next 6 months which will get near the top of the card. Not with Brock returning and the run up to Mania starting. Meanwhile, there'll be a shadow over Ambrose/Bray of people wondering why, after an obsession for months, Ambrose isn't continuing on his quest for revenge. They could have ended the feud and picked back up in a few months, fresh but with a new angle on it. "End" it on a high. Instead, we get another screwy angle where the babyface doesn't get his revenge.

Last night, they had the commentators admonish the fans for paying for the PPV, saying they are thick for spending the 50 quid instead of buying the network. And then they give fans a screwy finish in a feud which did not need one, and wonder why fans get annoyed and don't order these sorts of shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I doubt a couple months ago, Noble or Mercury would ever believe they'd have a part in a main event on a PPV. Though Mercury reminds me of Dano from the new Hawaii Five 0.

Wasn't keen on that finish. They could have Ambrose win but keep the feud going. The finish was pretty random. Though better than Kane getting the cell open and interfering.

Though Ambrose and Wyatt will have some very incomprehensible promos between them. Wonder how much everyone there saw since they cut the feed for viewers instead of relying on the lights going out.

Speaking of what the crowd saw, how long until we see the pics taken by those guys of Paige when she was bent over at the railing?

So no Henry turn this time. Guess it'll be on Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Speaking of what the crowd saw, how long until we see the pics taken by those guys of Paige when she was bent over at the railing?

I haven't seen the show yet.

Go on......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To me, you want your feuds to end on a high. A story should build to a climax, and then, as a writer, you have to have the bravery to generate a satisfying conclusion at the height of the story. Not drag it on and on and on until it's cooling off. The feud didn't need a spanner in the works; we've had that multiple times over the last few months. We didn't need another obstacle. They could have delivered a pay off which showed the fans that B-PPVs are important to character development, rather than reinforcing the notion that there's no point buying a B-PPV, since nothing ever concludes on them.

It's unlikely they'll ever give the two the main event again soon; I can't see them giving them a rematch anytime in the next 6 months which will get near the top of the card. Not with Brock returning and the run up to Mania starting. Meanwhile, there'll be a shadow over Ambrose/Bray of people wondering why, after an obsession for months, Ambrose isn't continuing on his quest for revenge. They could have ended the feud and picked back up in a few months, fresh but with a new angle on it. "End" it on a high. Instead, we get another screwy angle where the babyface doesn't get his revenge.

Last night, they had the commentators admonish the fans for paying for the PPV, saying they are thick for spending the 50 quid instead of buying the network. And then they give fans a screwy finish in a feud which did not need one, and wonder why fans get annoyed and don't order these sorts of shows.

Agreed, no reason at all for Ambrose not to win clean last night. The feud is money and they will always be linked together like Cena and Orton so they can easily go on in a year or so but for now Ambrose needed the win.

So simple, have Dean win clean tonight in a quality match, it won't do any harm to Rollins if booked right, will make Dean look more of a big deal and give a feud with Wyatt attacking after the result more heat.

But heh even stevens bookings as usual , and they wonder why ratings and network subscriptions in the toilet with their obsession with serve endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

So let me get this straight. Ambrose lost to a clothesline and a ****ty half assed Rock Bottom?

Woeful. At least do that stupid finisher.

Sick of Bray Wyatt at this stage. Don't understand the drooling over him.

• Advertisement

I love when finishes get genuine heat.

They did this stuff all the time when Austin was at his peak, the only time he really won convincingly was at Mania (he'd win the odd battle to keep strong but 95% of the time he was either cost by a screwy finish or something screwy happened immediately after him winning said battle). And everyone sees that as the glory days.

Relax guys, you're just caught up and invested in a wrestling storyline (the only bad reaction is no reaction after all - if a heel does something and you react negatively to it, it counts as heat). Nothing wrong with that, it's good to see! :)

leggo wrote: »
    I love when finishes get genuine heat.

They did this stuff all the time when Austin was at his peak, the only time he really won convincingly was at Mania (he'd win the odd battle to keep strong but 95% of the time he was either cost by a screwy finish or something screwy happened immediately after him winning said battle). And everyone sees that as the glory days.

Relax guys, you're just caught up and invested in a wrestling storyline (the only bad reaction is no reaction after all - if a heel does something and you react negatively to it, it counts as heat). Nothing wrong with that, it's good to see! :)

We are not getting exasperated in the "oh what an awesome heel" type way, its more how crap and even stevens the booking was as it is always is these days.

Their was no reason for Ambrose not to win and Rollins not to lose his heat if done right.

Its another silly swerve ending to a PPV, the fifth in a row I think.

Ambrose needed the win last night, fact is he has not got his comeuppance on Rollins, heck he hasn't even beaten Kane?

But heh when they are knocking out such awesome ratings and the network is booming, why should we grumble. :confused:

Rjd2 wrote: »

Their was no reason for Ambrose not to win and Rollins not to lose his heat if done right.

How would they achieve this and do it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I like a good moan as much as the next guy, but where would the fun be if the internet darlings and babyfaces won all the time and there was nothing to talk about?

DM_7 wrote: »
    How would they achieve this and do it right?

Bad guys can lose, especially in what should be the culmination of a lengthy feud. They have an awesome match, Ambrose wins, he looks a star, Rollins can still look strong in defeat especially as it is in a cell, and then wham bam Bray interferes and we kick of that feud.

Not every feud needs to get the pay off at Mania.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Totally missed how good Rollins's pin was
    AgreeableVigorousHermitcrab.gif

Bad guys can lose, especially in what should be the culmination of a lengthy feud. They have an awesome match, Ambrose wins, he looks a star, Rollins can still look strong in defeat especially as it is in a cell, and then wham bam Bray interferes and we kick of that feud.

Not every feud needs to get the pay off at Mania.

Ambrose losing because of Bray gives that feud more heat than a post match beat down. Would have liked him to win clean but think the impact Ambrose winning would have on how people see him is overstated. Would be a lot less talk if he won and I don't think people would have popped or really cared that much if he won.

Ambrose winning wouldn't be that big of a moment, he wouldn't be Mr MITB, he wouldn't have earned a Title shot or an actual title. He would have just won a singles gimmick match.

As it is anyone that watched should be viewing him as a star because he beat Rollins up, went to great lengths to do so and had the match won, they should have sympathy and empathy towards him as he was screwed. Before HIAC i don't think the crowd cared that much about him, the crowds will care more now and want to see him win more.

He is as a big of a star, possibly more of a star coming out the loser as he would be if he won.

DM_7 wrote: »
    He is as a big of a star, possibly more of a star coming out the loser as he would be if he won.

I guess this is the point we disagree on then.

After the PPV, Ambrose isn't in a position to challange for a title, or even look for a feud with Cena or Orton. He's been moved into a feud with someone who has been floundering badly, and who he'll likely be stuck in midcard with for the next few months. He dedicated months to beating Rollins and still fell short. No way is he a bigger star after last night and after that result.

A loss for Rollins wouldn't have done him much harm; as a heel, he could attack the likes of a Kofi, Ryder or someone on that level, destroy them on Raw and BAM! Heel heat restored. It also would have given them a clean break from each other and provided a climax to their story.
    I like a good moan as much as the next guy, but where would the fun be if the internet darlings and babyfaces won all the time and there was nothing to talk about?

It would be nice if they even won every once in a while. If you want the crowd to get behind faces, you need to at least make them think they can win every now and again. But unless you're John Cena, you never get to come out top in feuds (and even he's been struggling with the bad guy in Brock).

We are not getting exasperated in the "oh what an awesome heel" type way

You should never think that. If fans, en masse (even smart fans), think a heel is 'awesome', they are a bad heel. Right now, Bray Wyatt is a better heel than Seth Rollins because you dislike him more. You don't emotionally invest in disliking someone if you secretly think they're 'awesome'.

You're pissed. That's emotional investment. That's what WWE's objective was with the finish. They were successful in that objective. Most people will probably still continue to watch (save for a few maybe 'boycotting' a Raw or two) but will keep tuning in and will be happy if Ambrose gets his big win on an eventual show bigger than the filler October one. That's wrestling, the way it always has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

leggo wrote: »
    Why do you expect clean, decisive finishes in September and October?
    I wouldn't mind, as much, a crap PPV finish in one month, but two or more in a row is awful. Last year was even worse with 3 in a row. Bryan/Orton fast count in September, Bryan/Orton no contest at Battleground, Shawn Michaels superkicks Bryan at HiaC.

Advertisement