Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church Closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

kylith wrote: »
    So he's not bothering with his big Plan so?
    He'll get there ... eventually ... but perhaps not by His preferred route.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

krudler wrote: »
    do you stop at traffic lights? I presume you do, therefore you don't believe in god's plan for you.
    I stop at traffic lights ... because I believe in God's plan for me ... to get home safe and to help ensure that everybody else gets home safely too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

J C wrote: »
    That's kinda how it works allright ... everybody gets to choose between God's justice and God's mercy.

Neither myself nor God is happy with this ... but the alternative, of fallen men being immortal, would be unconscionable ... just imagine a thousand Hitlers or Stalins wielding their power hungry brutality (as a result of the fall) ... and they couldn't die (or be killed) ... it would be a recipe for hell on earth for us all.

Why would there be a thousand Hitlers or Stalins? Hitler was a Christian anyway so all he had to do was ask for god's mercy and in he goes. God forgives everyone right? or just not the people you don't like?

I stop at traffic lights ... because I believe in God's plan for me ... to get home safe and to help ensure that everybody else gets home safely too.:)

And if his plan wasn't for you to get home safe? you're exercising your free will to undo his plan of having you run over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

What's the difference between the god you worship and the the Islamic god Allah?
    Different beliefs for the same god?
    I mean you are supposed to respect the beliefs of others but in doing so aren't you undermining your own beliefs . Why respect the beliefs of others when they are contrary to your beliefs.

It seems as if you are making up the rules as you go along .

His ? Why are you presuming god is male . Did you see it in a painting ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Neither myself nor God is happy with this ... but the alternative, of fallen men being immortal, would be unconscionable ... just imagine a thousand Hitlers or Stalins wielding their power hungry brutality (as a result of the fall) ... and they couldn't die (or be killed) ... it would be a recipe for hell on earth for us all.

No need. The irrational belief in gods already gave us Hitler and Stalin (Hitler was a committed catlick all his life, and Stalin spent most of his youth, and after 1941 until he died, as a committed orthodox), and many more terrors besides. Ever hear of a chappie called Torquemada, or how about Chinggis Khan, or even the Triple Alliance. There are thousands of evil scattered throughout history created by religion, and the non-religious evils are only trotting after them.

You cannot deny this. Oh, wait, you've spent your whole boards career denying reality, denying one more facet of it will be no problem to you. Ah well, reality will still exist no matter how blue in the face you get thinking it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

No no see he has a specific plan, except when people do something different, which he allows, as part of his plan.
    I do something similar when I mess up dinner. Just pretend it's what you meant to do all along, no-one will ever know.

So, his Plan can be thwarted by humans. What will he do if we keep thwarting him forever with our pesky free will? Another flood maybe?

3a9e867e3f398c2126b1ad3ba97a2a7c01a083e33e3ef17a6f5392895a01750c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

That's kinda how it works allright ... everybody gets to choose between God's justice and God's mercy.

Neither myself nor God is happy with this ....

seems the god you just happen to believe in - out of historys endless parade of them

is a sexist racist murderous cnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

you're perfectly ok with children dying of horrific diseases because god was outsmarted by a talking snake....
    Neither myself nor God is happy with this ....
    I can understand Him being a bit embarrassed, but hey, cheer up, it wasn't your fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

you're perfectly ok with children dying of horrific diseases because god was outsmarted by a talking snake.

ok then.
    Neither myself nor God is happy with this
    Yet you're happy to worship a being that causes babies to die of horrific diseases because of something done by someone else, thousands of years ago?
    ... but the alternative, of fallen men being immortal, would be unconscionable ... just imagine a thousand Hitlers or Stalins wielding their power hungry brutality (as a result of the fall) ... and they couldn't die (or be killed) ... it would be a recipe for hell on earth for us all.
    The alternative isn't immortality, it's small children not dying of the malaria and AIDS that this God created and living normal lives.

• Advertisement

I do something similar when I mess up dinner. Just pretend it's what you meant to do all along, no-one will ever know.

That's how I feel when I make a balls of an omelette and turn it into scrambled egg instead.

Yet you're happy to worship a being that causes babies to die of horrific diseases because of something done by someone else, thousands of years ago?
    The alternative isn't immortality, it's small children not dying of the malaria and AIDS that this God created and living normal lives.

It's mental really, like if someone gets sick with a life threatening disease. That's gods plan right? and if the doctor does all they can to save them, that's also gods plan? and if the person makes it, gods plan, if they don't, gods plan. Ergo god will make people suffer when he could just kill them instantly, making him a sadistic twat, or make people suffer then get better, also making him a sadistic twat for making them ill in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

False dichotomy aside (AIDS babies versus platoons of Hitlers, really?), what difference would it make how many Hitlers or Stalins there were if everyone was immortal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

He has allowed His omnipotence to be suspended when He granted Humans free will.

Which means his plan for us is not based on omnipotence which means we have no reason to accept it.
    (Well, first it means he is not omnipotent, because, you know, definition of omnipotence and all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I've cringed so much reading JC's flawless logic, I can now make a fist with my face.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

but the alternative, of fallen men being immortal, would be unconscionable ... just imagine a thousand Hitlers or Stalins wielding their power hungry brutality (as a result of the fall) ... and they couldn't die (or be killed) ... it would be a recipe for hell on earth for us all.

so immortal hitler will get people to try kill the immortal jews?

so what you're saying is the concentration camps never happened because they were ineffective as there could be no final solution, nobody died and the nuke had no affect in Japan? Infact nobody died at all during any of our wars.
    :confused:

WWI as it happened could never have happened as there was no assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, so that war didn't kill the approx 13million people affected.

Hitler likely never would have risen to power because he was never involved in WW1 because it never happened and various key figures who previously held power never could have died since they were immortal.

So I think you'll find that this planet would have a very very different history if everybody was immortal. Even one random man not falling down on the street and dieing could change the course of our history because it could cause somebody more important to be someplace at a different time,

So what we've learned is wars cause no deaths what so ever so the stuff we look back at as awful in our history, the camps, how stalin had people killed, the killing fields, all those deaths in vietnam just never ever happened.

So the stuff you are saying would be worse with immortality.....wouldn't have happened in the first place :confused:

The planet would get abit crowded though, but thats a totally different issue. But it would also be gods plan so thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

Stalin spent most of his youth, and after 1941 until he died, as a committed orthodox

I must say I am impressed by the makey-up history that goes on around these parts.

In recent days I have read that Galileo, contrary to every historical record, was sentenced to be burnt at the stake, that no atheist organisation every existed in Eastern Europe (never mind the League of Militant Atheists with its millions of members and 96,000 offices), and that the Code of Hammurabi was a 'secular code' (despite its explicit claim to be given by authority of the gods and its calling down of divine curses on those who disobey).

But this claim takes the biscuit. Can you please cite any historical sources that demonstrate that Stalin became a committed member of the Orthodox Church after 1941?

It seems remarkable that a committed Orthodox believer would preside over a State that continued to persecute the Church. The Soviet Union continued to imprison Orthodox clergy and bishops between 1941 and 1953, and declared in 1947 that membership of the Komosol (Communist Youth Party) and the holding of any teaching position in the State was incompatible with religious belief. Also in 1947 the Soviet Union established the All-Union Society for the Dissemination of Political and Scientific Knowledge to take on the role previously filled by the League of Militant Atheists. However, it was apparently too luke-warm and was strongly criticised by the Party bosses for not being sufficiently aggressive in its dissemination of atheist propaganda. The Society responded by setting up State-funded 'houses of scientific atheism'.

So, given that Stalin continued to preside over persecution against the Orthodox Church after 1941 (albeit in a slightly less bloodthirsty way than in the previous 13 years) I would love to see the evidence that he became a committed Orthodox Christian during that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Someone referred to God being outsmarted by a snake.
    He wasn't.
    Jesus is referred to as the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. Even at the point that of the Fall, God spoke of One who would bruise the serpents head.
    What had been decided in heaven from eternity past had its outworking on a hill in Jerusalem.

Reading through the thread I see a lot of people who think they can tell us were God or the "spaghetti monster" have failed but for those of us who have experienced Him, He hasn't failed anywhere and the story isn't over yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Someone referred to God being outsmarted by a snake.
    He wasn't.
    Jesus is referred to as the Lamb slain before the foundation of the world. Even at the point that of the Fall, God spoke of One who would bruise the serpents head.
    What had been decided in heaven from eternity past had its outworking on a hill in Jerusalem.

Reading through the thread I see a lot of people who think they can tell us were God or the "spaghetti monster" have failed but for those of us who have experienced Him, He hasn't failed anywhere and the story isn't over yet. :)
    Cool story bro. Tell it to the thousands of children that die every day despite being prayed for. And die, I might add, from things that you supposed god could quite easily deal with, if he actually existed and gave a sh1t. I guess he cares more about helping sportsmen and woman than sick kids. I am glad it doesn't exist. It would annoy me to know such a massive asshole was out there somewhere.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nick Park wrote: »
    I must say I am impressed by the makey-up history that goes on around these parts.
    No less, I'm sure, than we are at the makey-uppey everything that goes on in Another Forum :)

Anyhow, Stalin's relationship with the church was complex - while his rule saw the destruction of many churches, the murder of many religious and the freezing-out of religious people generally, I haven't seen much convincing evidence that he abandoned his own personal religious beliefs after he left the priest-training college in Tbilisi where he'd studied for four/five years.

Stalin was, like Putin is today, a dangerous totalitarian who sees enemies around every corner and who infused the country with paranoia and hatred. But unlike Putin, who's found today's Orthodox Church a useful friend indeed, Stalin chose to see the Orthodox Church as a political threat and he treated it as he treated everything he saw as a political threat - violently.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    so immortal hitler will get people to try kill the immortal jews?

so what you're saying is the concentration camps never happened because they were ineffective as there could be no final solution, nobody died and the nuke had no affect in Japan? Infact nobody died at all during any of our wars.
    :confused:

So what you're basically saying is..Hitler is god's own fault.

JC did nicely ignore what I said about Hitler getting into heaven, as a Christian all he had to do was ask for God's forgiveness yes? and God loves and forgives all right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So what you're basically saying is..Hitler is god's own fault.

I suppose technically yes he is,
    If man was immortal then WW1 may not have likely taken place, this means Hitlers life experiences would have been very very different,
    JC did nicely ignore what I said about Hitler getting into heaven, as a Christian all he had to do was ask for God's forgiveness yes? and God loves and forgives all right?

I don't see why not,
    After all sex abusing priests simply asked for forgiveness from the Vatican and they were given it.

If the bible has thought people anything, its that if you really are sorry for your sins god's fine with you.

So if Hitler was sorry for being a driving force in the death of over millions of people then thats ok too.

Maybe god wouldn't let old Adolf in because he figured killing millions of people was HIS job. He's not a stranger to it in fairness. Biggest genocidal maniac in history is a title he wants to hold onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Getting back to church closures .. I was thinking .. they might be great spaces for building cheap, light weight, two story sleeping and recreational areas for the homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Piliger wrote: »
    Getting back to church closures .. I was thinking .. they might be great spaces for building cheap, light weight, two story sleeping and recreational areas for the homeless.

That would be almost......christian :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

... and so it comes full circle ... back to Sun-worship again.
    I also have direct evidence for God ... and without Him there would be neither a Sun nor life nor an Earth.

I'll see your Sun ... and raise you the Earth and all life.:)
    You're correct that it could ruin your faith in Atheism allright!!!:)
    I think that you're being a bit hard on atheists by calling the place where you meet a 'delusion building' ;)...
    ...and the conversion of church buildings is a 'two way street' ... here is a list of new Churches ... some in converted buildings in Industrial Estates
    http://www.dublinchurches.com/cgi-bin/churchdb/churchdb.cgi?Searchterm=Pentecostal

ap1.gif

You're comments are all the same; "I know you are, but what am I?"

That's how I feel when I make a balls of an omelette and turn it into scrambled egg instead.

Like the old sayin' goes; 'You have to break a few eggs to make scrambled eggs'.

The church that I was forced to attend in my youth has had to reduce the number of masses on Sunday. There used to be four: 09:30, 10:30, 11:30 and 12:30. Now it's only 09:30 and 12:30. It's not as hectic backstage as it used to be before the priest went on. I haven't a clue what the audience attendance is like. I suppose I could strap a GoPro camera to one of the 'Walkers*' as they shuffle up to the entrance.

*Party poopers in 'The Walking Dead'.

Ah the "everyone's a sinner" idea, abhorrent concept that it is, if you're happy being subject to a masochist then more power to ya. I'll be in hell (if it existed, which it doesn't) with all the interesting people.

"Created sick — Commanded to be well." - Christopher Hitchens.

Sin is like a magical illness and the only people with the magic wand which can cure it are priests. How convenient.

"He's making a list,
    he's checking it twice,
    he's gonna find out,
    who's naughty or nice'
    Jesus Christ is coming to town."

Because, you know, he's everywhere, all the time. And, he has existed for ever and made everything, ever!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 more than S.A.D.

Which means his plan for us is not based on omnipotence which means we have no reason to accept it.
    (Well, first it means he is not omnipotent, because, you know, definition of omnipotence and all).
    Sometimes real power is having the power not to act

Advertisement