Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RootsIreland

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I took screenshots of every cert I wanted to keep, even wrong ones.

That's exactly what I had been doing up till now.
    Ridiculous that there isn't a function allowing you to save images to your pc.:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Funnily enough since my subscription ran out I can't access my saved records, I keep getting an error....

So it's screenshots all the way!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

dido2 wrote: »
    Funnily enough since my subscription ran out I can't access my saved records, I keep getting an error....

Neither can I. Hmm. Must re-read T&Cs to see if not having a sub means you can't access already purchased certs.

ETA: Yep. Limited use licence
    On completion of the registration and payment process you will have the ability to search our index and view records within the time period of your subscription only.

Presumably if I were to reactivate my sub, my saved certs would be available again, as it stated I could view them for 2 years.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I took screenshots of every cert I wanted to keep, even wrong ones.

same here - I use a Firefox plugin ScreenGrab. One click and the full page is saved, even if you need to scroll to see it all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I use the Windows Snipping Tool so as to just cut out the part that I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Thats a bit of a cheat isn't it... Not being able to view the ones you've saved, doesn't really matter how long they are available if you have to have a subscription to view them......

I think I done a screenshot of all the ones I had viewed anyway...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So the thing that pisses me of right now is that now that my subscription has ended, I no longer have the 100's of free searches that I used to have before signing up for a month. I get a "You must purchase a subscription to view the search results" error when I try to search!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I have not signed up yet but do have an account. I can view my free searches freely - 24months.

There are some very good tips on this thread. Very worthwhile of being aware off before signing up.

So to recap:
    max 1000 cert views
    cannot view certs after sub ends - so must screen print / write down or print
    cannot view free searches after sub ends

So all in all EVERYTHING you look at ends to be screen printed or other before sub ends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've been mulling over getting a FMP sub since my Ancestry sub ran out. This thread has made my mind up. I won't be getting a FMP sub. On irishgenealogy.ie I both save a copy to my computer, and I also print it out. I always worry that technology will let me down and I will lose everything I have saved. I did the same with Ancestry if I found any documents there. When I get certs from the GRO I also scan 'em and save to the computer. Its doubling up but I always need to be sure, to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Chris Paton had a blogpost yesterday about possible changes made to the search function.

http://britishgenes.blogspot.com/2014/12/have-rootsireland-search-restrictions.html?m=1

Not sure how recent those changes are as I think they were in place when I was subscribed a month ago.
    And even at that the site is still far too restrictive.
    One should be able to search for a surname without any need to add a first name or year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Just finished my month's subscription - didn't make the 1000 views although I got close.

It's worth the €25 for the amount of information I got. I may do another month at some stage once I've processed the data and see the gaps.

The search restrictions are a pain. You should be able to use a surname only search as a lot of the baptisms I was looking for didn't record the parents names. Also, it would be great to have the option to search on sponsors and witness names.

Still, a much better deal than the previous pay per view.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Just wondering if anybody currently possessing a subscription to rootsireland would be able to get me one record! I had a monthly sub but its expired and now I've found a record I need to check...but spending €25 for one search seems tough to justify....I have a sub to ancestry and fmp at the moment to return the favour to some nice individual!

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

hjr wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody currently possessing a subscription to rootsireland would be able to get me one record! I had a monthly sub but its expired and now I've found a record I need to check...but spending €25 for one search seems tough to justify....I have a sub to ancestry and fmp at the moment to return the favour to some nice individual!

Many thanks!

Sure, PM me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Carlow records launched today on rootsireland.
    Am just having a play around with them.
    They got up to 1899 unanimously, no burial records (as you would expect) and many parishes have 18th century coverage.

ETA: many RC records have got "Denomination: Baptist" on the record but I've just double-checked with Carlow library and this is a mistake - presumably a database field ticked when it shouldn't be.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement