Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a weissbier

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

wait till Brewdogs IPW comes out.they teamed up with Weihenstephan and are gonna dry hop the shiz out of a weiss

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's like so seven years ago.

disgusted-mother-of-god.png

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

disgusted-mother-of-god.png

+1 to that.sounds delish

The recipe was subsequently made permanent by Schneider. You can buy it now as Tap 5: Meine Hopfen-Weisse. And yes, it's amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Was on tap in Porterhouse Central a few months ago. Not still there is it? Or anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

If you like dunkel Weistephaner dunkel is probably the best dunkel you can find in Ireland

imvho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

limnam wrote: »
    If you like dunkel Weistephaner dunkel is probably the best dunkel you can find in Ireland

imvho

Quite like dunkels haven't noticed it any where. Would O'briens have it?

Picked up another few bottles of Schneider Weiss tap 7 today and a bottle of Erdinger Urweisse to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

limnam wrote: »

agree, its very tasty ...
    I think their Vitus (7.7%) is probably one of the nicest beer I've ever had ..not that I'd call myself an expert or anything.

Vitus is technically a Weizenbock
    Description:

A more powerful Dunkel Weizen (of "bock strength"), with a pronounced estery alcohol character, perhaps some spiciness from this, and bolder and more complex malt characters of dark fruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

That's like so seven years ago.

Tap 5 was a game changer. A majestic beer although at 8% a bottle of it had me on my ear.

• Advertisement

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Tap 5 was a game changer. A majestic beer although at 8% a bottle of it had me on my ear.
    If a glass and a half of wine is enough to put you on your ear you might want to see a doctor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

I'll add two more recommendations. You'll be lucky to find either in Ireland, but grab them if you do:

Unertl (they used to carry this in the Bull and Castle, Dublin)
    Grünbacher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

If a glass and a half of wine is enough to put you on your ear you might want to see a doctor :)

Couldn't tell ya, I wouldn't touch the stuff.:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

mackerski wrote: »

I think they stopped doing (on my advice). :P

irish_goat wrote: »
    I think they stopped doing (on my advice). :P

They definitely stopped. And if I ever do find the fecker...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They definitely stopped. And if I ever do find the fecker...

To be fair, it didn't sell well and I never liked it so never recommended it, especially since it was sitting beside Schneider and Weihenstephaner. At the end I think we had to turf a few bottles that were past their best before too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Saw Unertl on the shelf in drinkstore this afternoon.

They also have Sierra Nevada Snow Wit White IPA

drumswan wrote: »
    Saw Unertl on the shelf in drinkstore this afternoon.

They also have Sierra Nevada Snow Wit White IPA

Where? I want some!

Edit: never mind, found it on the web site

irish_goat wrote: »
    To be fair, it didn't sell well and I never liked it so never recommended it, especially since it was sitting beside Schneider and Weihenstephaner. At the end I think we had to turf a few bottles that were past their best before too.

Nothing wrong with either of those, but for my taste, Unertl is far nicer. A pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Nothing wrong with either of those, but for my taste, Unertl is far nicer. A pity.
    Mmmmmm,
    Might give it a whirl then so, when I pick up my crate of franziskaner (for a sinful €10.50 for 20 bottles on special this week)

My problem with weissbier is the sameness of it, which is why regular Schneider is good as it's a strange halfway between dunkel and normal weissbier, so if unertl is loved and hated in equal measures, at least it must be a little different than the rest.

• Advertisement

I'll add two more recommendations. You'll be lucky to find either in Ireland, but grab them if you do:

Grünbacher
    Will report back on grünbacher later as I picked up 2 bottles when out shoppng.

Promisingly, they only brew weissbier and are in the third generation of family ownership so you'd think you can trust them to make a decent beer.

Will report back on grünbacher later as I picked up 2 bottles when out shoppng.

Promisingly, they only brew weissbier and are in the third generation of family ownership so you'd think you can trust them to make a decent beer.

You can tell that Christmas is coming. Where did you get the Grünbacher? It's ages since I had any.

You can tell that Christmas is coming. Where did you get the Grünbacher? It's ages since I had any.
    got the Grünbacher at V-Markt in north Munich

Actually got 2 types, the Braumeister and Ur-Weisse, but thanks to the lure of the pub on Saturday night, only got round to tasting them last night
    Had the Ur-Weisse first and didn't like it. It had a strange sour tang off it. Colour was also strange, more cloudy cream coloured than the orangey/ browny colour you'd normally see. Probably would be a good one for folks who like belgian style Witbier.

The Braumeister was savage though. It'd remind you a little of a regular Schneider as its a shade darker and more flavoursome than regular weissbier but its still not a proper Dunkel. I have to say I'm now a fan. It was fruity and full of flavour without still being too sweet (which some weissbiers tend to be)
    I could easily see me buying it by the crate, once the reserve of 2 1/2 crates of weissbier in the basement get depleted!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Ryath wrote: »
    Quite like dunkels haven't noticed it any where. Would O'briens have it?

Not sure if O'Briens stock it.

In Dublin you could get it in Redmonds or drink store and probably most "decent" offie's

got the Grünbacher at V-Markt in north Munich

Bah! You had my hopes up there. Unfortunately I no longer live in MUC. Never had any trouble getting the stuff there.

I know we recommended Schneider before, but after having the first bottle in a while there last night of the Schneider Blonde, I'll just re-recommend it.

Theres so much depth of flavour going on there that it'd almost remind you of the belgian beers, and it's a step up from the likes of Fransiskaner (which is still more than acceptable), and a different universe than Erdinger or the own brand Lidl/Aldi schlop (which are brewed to be bland/ cheap respectively).

Had White Gypsy Blonde on tap over the weekend and while its lower than most wheat beers at just 4% the taste doesn't suffer and I would have it again no problem.
    Also had a few bottles of the Trouble Brewing Fuzzy Logic Wheat Beer (4.7%) recently..very drinkable. only thing is the price point puts its up against some of the best german examples and not sure its quite at the level..buts its defo better than some. Would be interested in trying it on tap.

Picked up an unertl.
    Yea, it's full of flavour but it's not my thing. It tastes nice (and smells wonderful) but for my palette just gives a less than lovely aftertaste. Like Schneider, their regular weissbier is a more dark affair than "regular" weissbier.

But again, it'd be the type of beer which you could imagine being a savage bock weissbeer if brewed that way.

Had me a couple of bottles of Rothaus Hefeweiss over the weekend.
    First time having it....man, I was impressed. For me its nicer than Franziskaner, so that puts it second behind Weihenstephaner in my top list..

had Maisels Weiss & Schneider Blonde also recently, not hugely impressed with either...
    ..revisited Schneider Original after being disappointed the first time, I was pleasantly surprised and think there was something wrong with the bottle or the glass the first time....very nice weiss beer indeed
    ..lots more to try :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Andechs Weissbier is really good. Apparently Martins off license sell it sometimes. Its a monastery just outside Munich. If you are in Munich, its at the end of an S-Bahn line so you can take public transport right up to it. Its really pretty and the biergarten is a terrace. So you are looking at the Bavarian countryside. Then you can go swimming at the lake beside the S-Bahn and the alps are in the background

Advertisement