Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a weissbier

Options
  • 23-09-2014 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Just back from a weekend in north Germany.great time and the weiss bier was great.nice and smooth and no hangover . Unfortunately I didn't pay too much attention to the brands . But I think one was Maisel weisse and the other Schneider weisse going by pictures of the glasses and bottles on the net.they were the paler beers not the dark ones.anyone know if these are handy to get a hold off or if not are there any others with a similar taste. In Donegal, so maybe my options are limited. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Both are readily available in Ireland. If you don't see them anywhere else I'd be reasonably certain Dicey's in Ballyshannon will be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The fact that you were drinking wiessbier bears no relation to the fact that you didn't get a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

The fact that you were drinking wiessbier bears no relation to the fact that you didn't get a hangover.

Oh.must have been something else. Just thought it was given we were on a right aul session.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Both are readily available in Ireland. If you don't see them anywhere else I'd be reasonably certain Dicey's in Ballyshannon will be able to sort you out.

Thanks for that . must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Schneider Weisse Tap 5 is pretty special stuff. Strong though, so to be drunk sparingly!

• Advertisement

Are there German Wheat beers that a available in supermarkets that are worth considering.I have easy access to Lidl/Aldi and Supervalu and regular access to Tesco/Dunnes/M&S and Sainsburys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I may be shot down by some of the purists on here but:

Aldi: Schofferhofer (first wheatbear in Germany to be brewed outside of Bavaria, and very tasty @ €1.79 per bottle)
    Lidl: Franziskaner @ 1.79 per bottle, sometimes have a special on 4 for €6
    Supervalu: Usually depends on the off-licence manager to buy in the non Diageo/Heineken stuff so ask if they can get some for you
    Tesco: I can't say what the one beside you stocks but most would have Paulaner, Erdinger, Schneiderweisse Tap 7, and Franziskaner
    Dunnes: No idea

Otherwise try any local off licence and see if they would order in some for you. There is a huge selection available in Ireland. Also if you like the German wheat beers you should try some of the Belgian blonde beers. Go easy on them though they tend to be very strong.

Aldi: Schofferhofer (first wheatbear in Germany to be brewed outside of Bavaria, and very tasty @ €1.79 per bottle)
    Lidl: Franziskaner @ 1.79 per bottle, sometimes have a special on 4 for €6
    Supervalu: Usually depends on the off-licence manager to buy in the non Diageo/Heineken stuff so ask if they can get some for you
    Tesco: I can't say what the one beside you stocks but most would have Paulaner, Erdinger, Schneiderweisse Tap 7, and Franziskaner
    Dunnes: No idea

Otherwise try any local off licence and see if they would order in some for you. There is a huge selection available in Ireland. Also if you like the German wheat beers you should try some of the Belgian blonde beers. Go easy on them though they tend to be very strong.

Nice one,thanks. I'd say Schneiderweisse Tap 7 was the one I had at the weekend,I think it's the original. Nice balance between taste and strength. And no hangover was a real plus.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Nice one,thanks. I'd say Schneiderweisse Tap 7 was the one I had at the weekend,I think it's the original.

I think it's the most popular one. I'm a big fan, maybe too big of a fan :pac:

I've had tap 4 and tap 6 also, but I always go back to the tap 7 or Schofferhofer. As regards the hangover, hangovers are usually a result of dehydration from drinking alcohol. However I think that German law only allows 6 ingredients in their beer: Water/Barley/Hops/Yeast/Wheat/Sugar so there is less rubbish added to them compared to your usual mass produced swill. It probably helps but believe me I have had many a hangover after a night drinking weissbiers!

Sugar
    :eek: Definitely not! That's what those English and Belgian pigdogs put in their "beer". Strictly against the Reinheitsgebot.

The 'gebot isn't the law any more but virtually all German brewers abide by it. German drinkers seem to believe it makes beer better.

I can't think of any of the German weissbiers sold in Irish supermarkets that aren't worth a go. I like Scheider-Weisse in particular, but Franziskaner is excellent for the money Lidl charge for it. Erdinger's probably about the most boring of the lot, but there's not a thing really wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Nothing wrong with your list (not that I'm calling myself a purist).

Schneider Tap 7 is my favourite but I'd not turn down a Franzikaner, Weihnestephaner or the Aldi Schofferhofer.

:eek: Definitely not! That's what those English and Belgian pigdogs put in their "beer". Strictly against the Reinheitsgebot.

The 'gebot isn't the law any more but virtually all German brewers abide by it. German drinkers seem to believe it makes beer better.

The Reinheitsgebot was superceded by the Vorläufiges Biergesetz in 1993 which allowed water, malted barley, hops and yeast be used for bottom-fermented beer and Top-fermented beer allows for a wider variety of malt as well as sucrose and beet sugars. Weissbier is top fermented and is technically not Reinheitsgebot compliant because it is made with malted wheat :cool: But I don't think any of the good weissbiers contain sugar to be fair

Oh, I didn't know there was any law on this still in force. There sure are plenty of exceptions to it: your Gose, your untergärigem roggenbier and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Schoefferhofer and Franziskaner are very nice. The fact that aldi and lidl stock them is no indicator of them being cheap beers at all. They're top notch. Go with them.
    Schneider Weisse is lovely too.

The Reinheitsgebot is about using water, barley and hops only. That's it. But that applies to pils mostly. Weissbier typically has yeast also.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

Franzikaner and Weistephaner (spelling?) are two of the best in my opinion.

Recent convert myself after a trip to Germany also....Sorry didn't try them years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Boskowski wrote: »
    The Reinheitsgebot is about using water, barley and hops only. That's it. But that applies to pils mostly. Weissbier typically has yeast also.
    Its tricky to get fermentation going without yeast I find

Interesting thread. Im a bit hazy around this style but there is a nice Irish one that pops up in The Headline now and then - Kinsale Williams Wheat which I have enjoyed a lot.

How to pour a hefeweiss is interesting also.drink from the right glass rinsed with cold water,pour at 45 degrees and swirl the last little bit in the bottle to mix in the yeast.anyone know if it makes a difference versus just pouring in our usual way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How to pour a hefeweiss is interesting also.drink from the right glass rinsed with cold water,pour at 45 degrees and swirl the last little bit in the bottle to mix in the yeast.anyone know if it makes a difference versus just pouring in our usual way?

Pouring the usual way just doesn't work with Weizenbier as there is too much gas. It'll foam up like mad and you'll spend ages on the last half of the bottle. It's the same reason why a Weizenbier can't be downed in one go. No way you could hold it, it'll come out of your ears.
    It's the classic setup for the aspiring but unsuspecting teenage macho. ;)

Boskowski wrote: »
    Pouring the usual way just doesn't work with Weizenbier as there is too much gas. It'll foam up like mad and you'll spend ages on the last half of the bottle. It's the same reason why a Weizenbier can't be downed in one go. No way you could hold it, it'll come out of your ears.
    It's the classic setup for the aspiring but unsuspecting teenage macho. ;)

Maybe they should introduce a two part pour :P

Exactly how we were served Schofferhofer in Berlin. I had never seen it poured like that before. The barman rinsed the glass in water (I thought he lost the plot) and then poured most of the bottle in very quickly. At the very end then he laid the bottle flat on the bar and rolled it around a bit and poured the rest in then. Apparently swirling the end of the bottle rouses the yeast so when poured it mixes through the beer in the glass. You can see the beer is much cloudier when done this way and the taste is much better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Exactly how we were served Schofferhofer in Berlin. I had never seen it poured like that before. The barman rinsed the glass in water (I thought he lost the plot) and then poured most of the bottle in very quickly. At the very end then he laid the bottle flat on the bar and rolled it around a bit and poured the rest in then. Apparently swirling the end of the bottle rouses the yeast so when poured it mixes through the beer in the glass. You can see the beer is much cloudier when done this way and the taste is much better IMO.
    rinsing the glass is part of the hygiene regulations, but thats only one issue.

aparantly 70% of the problems with serving a dud weissbier, i.e. when it has a flat head, is to do with the glass. Either dust or other impurities destroying the head.
    the rinsing gets rid of the contamination and also provides a film along the glass that stops large air bubbles forming (which also are bad for the head)

heres a fairly detailed runddown on proper glass care and weissbier pouring (in german, so google translate needed) from a weissbier brewery that I'd recommend, although obviously they've a range of weissbiers and all are worth a try.
    http://www.schneider-weisse.de/index.php?lang=de&sid=&tpl=kunden.ausschank.glaeserpflege

he laid the bottle flat on the bar and rolled it around a bit
    I've seen that plenty of times in Germany, but last time I was in Bavaria the practice was to hold the almost-empty bottle upright and roll it between two palms for a couple of seconds before pouring the lees into the glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I've seen that plenty of times in Germany, but last time I was in Bavaria the practice was to hold the almost-empty bottle upright and roll it between two palms for a couple of seconds before pouring the lees into the glass.
    if you do it this way then, if done right with a bottle that was standing upright for a while where the yeast and most of the solids are settled at the bottom, your beer in the glass from the first pour will be perfectly clear and then youre pouring the last 5% of beer and pure cloudy stuff (incl. the yeast) into the glass. Its a cool effect, and you might even get clumps of yeast fizzing their way down the glass - and when all settles its still way clearer at the bottom than the top.
    Bar staff normally wouldnt be bothered doing this, but some weissbier fans take pride in being able to pour it like that.

on the other hand, I know bar men who deliberately DONT pour all the yeasty stuff into the beer as its only impurities youre adding.

I leave the lees out myself

And I guess the correct thing to do is rewash the glass and rinse again with cold water before pouring a new bottle into it?

Bar staff normally wouldnt be bothered doing this, but some weissbier fans take pride in being able to pour it like that.
    This was in non-Munich parts of Bavaria :) In Munich your weissbier will likely come from a keg :eek:

In Munich your weissbier will likely come from a keg :eek:

Didn't find that in my experience to be honest. Had plenty of bottles the time I was there anyway.

Well, the only one I drank was Schneider Hopfenweisse, and that was on draught. I didn't send it back, mind.

Well, the only one I drank was Schneider Hopfenweisse, and that was on draught. I didn't send it back, mind.

I had a few draught beers in restaurants but the beer gardens, the hostel and cellar bars all seemed to serve bottles.

It was a big bottle of Tap X when I was at Schneider's pub. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Of the standard German weissbiers, Franziskaner is probably my favourite.

I recently tried the cheap canned one from Lidl (Grafenwalder, I think?) and it wasn't bad.

Advertisement