Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie PW (Favourite) "Big Man" Tournament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Much as I love Vader, Taker is the ultimate Big Man. And the single most successful gimmick wrestler of all time. Classic match after classic match, year after year. It has to be Taker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

This could easily be the final.

Vader had a great career. He had a string of good matches with Sting in the early 90s. He was unbelievable for a guy his size. The Vadersault, will we ever see a big man move like that ever again?

Unfortunately for him, he's ran into Taker. A great character, a great wrestler(his versatility is overlooked, he could wrestle a technical match when required), he was amazingly agile, breaking out the over the top rope dive, flying lariats, you name it. And that's not even bringing the Streak into it. You talk about longevity, no one has lasted longer then Taker.

I think these guys are probably 1 and 2, unfortunately for Vader he's number 2.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Undertaker. Should go close to winning this. Hard on Vader as I enjoyed him too but Takers contribution to the business cannot be understated. 21-1 at Wrestlemania, multi-time world champ, involved in some of the best matches of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm gonna throw a vote to Vader.

He was a behemoth and his aerial attacks were awesome. Complete beast and very much a WCW. His feud with Sting ranks up there amongst one of the best.

Taker will probably succeed but I think his "big man" appeal whined somewhat over the years. When he first arrived he looked like a 7 foot monster and old school along with the rest of his moveset were fantastic.

Vader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Vader. For me, the best big man in the history of the sport. Terrible booking in the WWF may have somewhat tarnished his overall legacy but as an unstoppable monster in Japan and WCW nobody comes close and there's none more agile. I also saw him win a world title at my first ever live show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Vader for the fact that he is exactly what I think of when I think of a Big Man. He was a monster, a bohemoth, a mastadon. His strikes and his aerials were a sight to behold. So were Takers, to be fair. Both had epic looks also. A great tussle here. But Vader nips it. He should have held WWF Gold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Undertaker for me. He was one of the main reasons I started watching wrestling as a kid and throughout his WWE career he has shown what a great in ring competitor he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Taker

Taker takes it despite a late surge from Vader. Does this mean Taker has knocked out his biggest threat? Next up we have two current roster member who have been around since the early days of the attitude era.
    Quarterfinal 3

Big Show/The Giant
    “Andre’s Son”
    The-Big-Show4.jpg

VS

Mark Henry
    “10 Years a Strongman”
    Mark_Henry+6.jpg
    First to six and only votes with a valid reason will be counted. Good luck.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tough call again. Henry wasn't really relevant for a long time in his career but in recent years has been a joy whereas Big Show is now an annoyance to me whereas I loved his earlier work.
    My vote goes to Big Show. Loved him as The Giant and his debut in WWE was one of those WTF moments when he ripped off the side of the cage.

• Advertisement

Big Show here for me.

He was good for a lot longer than Mark was, who only really came into his own in the past 4 - 5 years.

Show is the best Giant of all time in my opinion, definitely the most capable in ring

In the Big Show camp myself.

Tbh his present incarnation is probably the only one I have no time for. Decent performer and certainly had that "giant" presence. His world title reigns be it WCW, WWE and WWE all had big moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Big Show easily. When he's motivated does his job very well, and while never great in the ring has been responsible for some really great spots. Henry was wasted for the majority of his time with WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Big Show.

He can actually put on the occasional great match, has tones of charisma, and is a great worker who will do anything that is asked off him.

Both nice guys too, but I think Show, for his size and weight, moves like no other man could of his frame. Great Big Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Big Show. Good company man. In a couple of my favourite recent tag teams with Jericho and The Miz. I'm also a big fan of Henry, but i'll go for show.

Big Show whitewashes Mark Henry. Our final spot in the semi-final will go to either of these impressive big men. Two heavy hitters in both credentials and look.
    4th Quarterfinal

Bam Bam Bigalow
    “Beast from the East”
    Bam+Bam+Bigelow+Wallpaper+2.jpg

VS

Andre The Giant
    “The Original Big Man”
    6a00d8341c630a53ef0147e4422722970b-800wi

First to six and only votes with a valid reason will be counted. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Bam Bam for me.

Andre though a great looking monster, he was an awful wrestler. Bam Bam was a very agile man for his size and had some great matches. Andre was a spectacle to behold and was part of an historic WM3 but Bam Bam was better over all.

Bam Bam for me. More entertaining to watch. He had a great look as well. Andre, while he was a big name, never really did it for me. I think if he came along today, he'd be considered in the same vein as the Average Khali

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Andre. As much as I liked Bam Bam, Andre was the original giant and one of the definitive "big men".

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Andre The Giant, if just for the footprint he left on the world of wrestling. There's only wrestler I can honestly say is a more important big man in the world of wrestling!

• Advertisement

Andre.

Andre for me as well. Original and one of the best.

Andre.

Give use a reason Winny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bam Bam. Great to watch and one of the best big man wrestlers i have come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Bam bam for me. He could seriously move for a beast of a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Andre for me too the oriniginal big man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bam Bam Bigelow by a long long way. One of the best looks ever and was agile as hell . Andre was the absolute pits to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Andre

Bam Bam was great but for me Andre is just a stand out, the original Big Man Giant

I woulda liked to see Vader make the final but for me Andre vs Taker seems the most fitting match up for the main event of this tournie

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Give use a reason Winny.

Sorry about the shortness, finishing up in work.

I always rememeber seeing images of Andre when I was younger as a monster, not human, something out of this world.

Hogan slamming him was what wrestling is all about for me. A mystical, absurd different world, and Andre was part of that moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Gotta be Andre. I love Bam Bam but Andre defined the term and he's the standard by which all big man wrestlers are measured against.

Advertisement