Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Café.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Hats off to the mods in Politics cafe. Moderated the way all forums should be run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

How come the name of the thread and last poster in Politics Café doesn't show up in the subforums in After Hours:

DwHHYBp.png

You can see them for that Irish forum, whatever it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

There is only a link to the Cafe from After Hours, so not really an After Hours sub forum even though it sort of looks that away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

This post had been deleted.
    Permabear wrote: »
    Epic fail predictions. Irish Water I 10,005; Irish Water II 9,244; Murphy 4,515; Greece 4,069. False premise reasoning. Factually incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fathom wrote: »
    Epic fail predictions. Irish Water I 10,005; Irish Water II 9,244; Murphy 4,515; Greece 4,069. False premise reasoning. Factually incorrect.

It caught on and more and more AH users are wandering into it. I'm pleasantly surprised at the up turn in traffic so my complaints have largely been solved by same.

However, judging by Permabear's impassioned arguments in the Politics 'a discussion of the rules thread' its presence may have grim implications for the Politics section of the site. I'm not familiar enough to have a firm opinion on that mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep it would appear that it has become a dumping ground without any backup of additional moderators or moderators from After Hours (as it is a safety valve for that forum).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm enjoying it immensely. It's like clay pigeon shooting for dumb ideas. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

"The Café is subject to all the policies, practices, and guidelines contained within boards.ie FAQ and Terms of Use. These are the guidelines you agreed to when joining boards.ie." Read Terms. Very clear. Detailed. Too much regulation. Less better. Prefer open market paradigm.
    inadequate numbers of mods
    Add more. Solved.

"The Café is subject to all the policies, practices, and guidelines contained within boards.ie FAQ and Terms of Use. These are the guidelines you agreed to when joining boards.ie."

Read Terms. Very clear. Detailed. Too much regulation. Less better. Prefer open market paradigm.

One would assume so, but it doesn't necessarily seem to be the case that they are implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

only since half of AH was directed in there. It also means several of the other politics fora are have dead compared to what they used to be which is a massive pity. Though I didn't post a huge amount in them I did read them a lot but there is little traffic compared to previous.

Add mods. Implement.
    Another prediction? Remember threads didn't die?
    Terms click once. Just once. Not multiple clicks. FAQ not needed. But useful search.
    Addressing Cafe. Not all forums. Must know Terms. Membership requirement. PC charter 2nd red tape layer. Bureaucracy. Too long now. Needs only 5 words: "Be civil to each other."
    only since half of AH was directed in there.
    Not near by half. Considerably less than half.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not near by half. Considerably less than half.

on noes, slight exaggeration!
    You know exactly what I mean. The only reason it is now a success is the re-directing from AH, which is only very recently been a strictly enforced rule. Before that is was very very quiet.

Add mods. Implement.

Over-moderation is not the answer either. AH is a prime example of an overly-moderated forum IMHO; I used to post on forums like SomethingAwful and OffTopic (was it .net or .com, can't remember) and they were good examples of moderation IMO.

on noes, slight exaggeration! You know exactly what I mean.
    Figure of speech? Not factual.
    The only reason it is now a success is the re-directing from AH.
    AH link success. AH re-directing success. Not "only reason." Irish Water catalyst. IW didn't originate AH.
    Over-moderation is not the answer either.
    Use Terms. Minimally mod. Forget charter. Less regulation better. Foster open market.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Good evening everyone,

I have just posted the following in the Politics Café, but considering the much of the discussion of the forum has also taken place here, I'm reposting here for the benefit of posters who may not frequent the Café often.

========================================

Hey everybody,

With the upcoming changes to Boards in terms of category reorganisation, we have decided use the opportunity to implement certain changes to the Politics Café to coincide with the category restructure. Points raised both in Feedback and in the Politics Café itself have been the subject of much discussion in the mods forum and CMods forum alike, and have been a major factor in the changes that we intend to implement.

The Changes to the Politics Café will be twofold.

Layout

The biggest visible change will be its location - it will no longer nested as a subforum of Politics, but will instead run in parallel with Politics, under the new POLITICS category (apologies for the confusion of names), as outlined in the diagram below:

isHqjRZl.jpg

As has been pointed out in various discussions, the Café started out as an experiment, a place to encourage a lighter discussion of politics, catering to those who specifically don't want to engage in protracted debate. But it's grown into something far more than that - it's not a subforum anymore, it has grown into its own very distinct forum with its own community of posters marching to the beat of a very different drum than the main Politics forum. And like any experiment, it needs to grow and adapt to its purpose. As such, this split between the relaxed standards of the Politics Café and the high standards of our other 7 Politics forums falls into place intuitively, makes practical sense, and allows for far cleaner delineation between 'tightly moderated' Politics (and its subfora), and Politics Café in terms of (a) content, (b) posting standards, and (c) moderation. It also fits well with the category reorganisation that Boards HQ has proposed for the near future.

Moderation

The second change will be to how the forum is moderated - with the above layout in place, we propose to have two mod teams - one group dedicated to the strictly moderated Politics forum and its related subfora, the second group dedicated to the Politics Café. , both working independently of each other.

I would like to make something clear before I go further - this is not a reflection of the current mod team or how they have operated so far, and I won't entertain any discussion to the contrary. Without them, the Politics Café. forum would not exist, and some of the accusations put forward in various discussions on Café. moderation have been unfair, and some have been downright insulting to the moderator team. That being said, the Politics Café has evolved into a completely different creature from the main forum, and should be modded accordingly, without reference to the other 7 forums. Given the dramatic standards, modding, community of posters, and posting frequency differences between Politics Café and the other 7 forums, this makes intuitive and organisational sense to have a separate moderator team for each, especially when you consider the rapid fire posting potential and modding demands of Politics Café.

At the moment we are in the process of recruiting additional moderators to expand on the existing Pol Mods, the intention being to have two fully functioning moderator teams up and running as soon as possible. Two candidates have already been welcomed aboard, and we plan to expand the team further, particularly to meet the load and requirements of the Politics Café. Once the Politics Café team have had a chance to settle in, they will be taking on board points raised here in feedback, and collaberating on a modding strategy that finds the right balance between the relaxed standards of the Politics Café, while still meeting the requirements of basic etiquette as laid out in the overarching Boards rules.

As we move forward with this, I'd like to thank all who have provided constructive criticism here, and thank the constructive posters in the Café for helping the forum succeed, and who we hope will continue to bring insight and constructive discussion to the table.

Regards,

~Mike

Advertisement