Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics Café.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Black Swan wrote: »
    If the Politics Café appeared as a link in the AH forum where all the threads appear, would more members click on it and post?

I dunno, I wouldn't though and I've already got PC on my forums list...

It's still too limiting by being 'politics' in the first place, same as if an AH thread on 'smelly people on buses' got bounced to C&T, or 'Hero cat saves 17 ducklings' get bounced to Animal & Pet issues. It's simply not the right place for such general, lightweight discussion that doesn't really relate to the specific fora but only is politics/C&T/A&P issues in the most general sense. The cafe is IMO a failed experiment, its just a place where threads get sent to die, which is a pity, but thats just how it is currently.

why is this thread in PC for example?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056945457 Stamps gone to 60c, it's nothing to do with politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'll just throw this out there to see what people think.

Boards.ie is 2 sites - After Hours is one and the other is a platform for various other topic centric communities.

Would anyone suggest this assessment is way off the mark?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Dav wrote: »

Boards.ie is 2 sites - After Hours is one and the other is a platform for various other topic centric communities.

Fairly accurate, really. AH is a community all of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Possibly slightly simplistic but I guess you wouldn't be too wide of the mark with that assessment.

Now is it worthwhile slaying (possibly dramatic I know) the beast that is AH to help the other fora or would it be best to allow the 'down the pub' type of chat about subjects develop organically in AH and then leave the subject specific fora to develop the more in depth style of discussion on the same subjects in their own organic ways?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Never thought of it like that, but you might well be right. I feel like I post a lot on boards and have a good feel for the place, but I still don't really have a clue what AH is all about (or like it much tbh).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Fairly accurate, really. AH is a community all of its own.

I think there may be an age divide across the forum. Generally I see After Hours being full of idiotic and ill informed threads for the most part, occasionally one might catch my eye and irritate me enough to post in it, but once vented I've no interest really in following it. But then I figure as someone in their very late 30s I'm just not in the AH demographic anymore.

Actually, probably never really was. I've been a member since around 2000 (I abandoned my original id at the time of the hack) and always have had the impression of AH being the drunk tank of boards populated by spotty teenage boys. It's not as bad now but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I think there may be an age divide across the forum. Generally I see After Hours being full of idiotic and ill informed threads for the most part, occasionally one might catch my eye and irritate me enough to post in it, but once vented I've no interest really in following it. But then I figure as someone in their very late 30s I'm just not in the AH demographic anymore.

Actually, probably never really was. I've been a member since around 2000 (I abandoned my original id at the time of the hack) and always have had the impression of AH being the drunk tank of boards populated by spotty teenage boys. It's not as bad now but still.

I've always thought most of AH was ~40 years old, don't there's as many 18-25s in there.

Yeah I'd agree.

There's AH, and then there's the rest of boards. That's how I've always thought of it.

I've always thought most of AH was ~40 years old, don't there's as many 18-25s in there.

Really? I'd be surprised given the general tone and topics.

Really? I'd be surprised given the general tone and topics.

boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=25636

Maybe a bit younger than 40 actually. Still, it's not like it's populated by children. :p

• Advertisement

Although not quite sure you're a good person to comment given your yellow card comment on the thread in Personal Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Although not quite sure you're a good person to comment given your yellow card comment on the thread in Personal Issues.

He linked a poll showing the age spread? :confused: Going by that poll most people are aged between 27 to 40 unless of course they're lying (but I can't see why they would???). As a regular AHers poster, I'd agree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

27-40 is a crazy designation, most people are now getting married and having families in their early 30s, so that age range is catching people just out of their mid-20s and people entering their 40s, with absolutely nothing in common.

27-40 is a crazy designation, most people are now getting married and having families in their early 30s, so that age range is catching people just out of their mid-20s and people entering their 40s, with absolutely nothing in common.

If you want to do a comprehensive study of the age of people who frequent AHers, off you go.

I'm 22.

Let me know how it goes for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yes and yes.

Yup. Although I'm 25, the majority of people I interact with on AH are older than me.

He linked a poll showing the age spread? :confused:

I was talking about the maturity level of AH posts in relation to a post he/she made in Personal Issues yesterday suggesting to a mother to beat if out of her, referring to a 5 year old girl.

I was talking about the maturity level of AH posts in relation to a post he/she made in Personal Issues yesterday suggesting to a mother to beat if out of her, referring to a 5 year old girl.

He didn't post that in AH. His post in PI has absolutely no relevance. Considering posts in PI don't show up on a list of a user's posts, it's pretty bad form linking to it. He was dealt with for it, and it's got absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Seems like you just wanted to gef a dig in.

Maturity, indeed.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Tbh, AH is just as much of a niche as all of the other niche forums on the site. I don't think anyone can accurately or adequately define what it is other than a community. If you try and constrict that definition any further, you'll start to go wrong.

Over the years, people have tried to imprint upon AH what it's supposed to be but it has always done it's own thing. I think the mods who are now in place have done wonders in bringing it away from what could occasionally be a nasty forum with a poor standard of trolling and some pretty vitriolic posts. The nastiness is largely gone now and even when the occasional thread that really should be in PI crops up, rather than the previous 4chan-esque replies, mostly it's either reasonably helpful or a push towards PI.

The days of "I'm depressed and thinking of ending it all" being met with "here's a rope" are gone, thankfully.

In relation to linking to Politics Café, I'd say try it because it might plant the seed that there's somewhere else to discuss politics in a light-hearted way without the need to reference academic journals. It might have no effect, on the other hand, but I'd see no harm in giving it a go.

He didn't post that in AH. His post in PI has absolutely no relevance. Considering posts in PI don't show up on a list of a user's posts, it's pretty bad form linking to it. He was dealt with for it, and it's got absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Seems like you just wanted to gef a dig in.

Maturity, indeed.

I didn't link to it. I referred to it.

• Advertisement

I didn't link to it. I referred to it.

Why would you even refer to it? It wasn't a post in AHers? How does it show the immaturity of AHer posters? :confused:

Why would you even refer to it? It wasn't a post in AHers? How does it show the immaturity of AHer posters? :confused:

By that logic, I'm not a credible poster in PI (I post there a lot) because lots of my posts on AH take the piss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

ThisRegard, I don't know what it is you think you're accomplishing by trying to badmouth another poster, but it's pathetic and frankly, embarrassing to see. So how's about you leave this thread to the grown ups, eh? *

A 27-40 age breakdown is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. 13-15 / 16-18 / 19-22 / 23-26 / 27-29 / 30-33 / 34-37 / 38-45 / 46-59 / 60+ would be useful.

* It's unpleasant when someone singles you out for something you've done. It'll be more unpleasant the next time your name appears on my radar and I remember you're someone who's opinion I can safely ignore as you're more interested in some sort of utterly childish point scoring exercise. Think about that next time you want to make some sort of contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

* It's unpleasant when someone singles you out for something you've done. It'll be more unpleasant the next time your name appears on my radar and I remember you're someone who's opinion I can safely ignore as you're more interested in some sort of utterly childish point scoring exercise. Think about that next time you want to make some sort of contribution.

Is this not a bit OTT, make one mistake and forever be on the naughty list from the community manager. Am I missing something ? The first part I thought covered it why the threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

On topic I think I have been vocal on feedback before how AH is a soft politics forum, so the linking to the cafe make allot of sense in my eyes.

If anything it will maybe stop AH (main forum) being used as a mechanism for people to lobby opinion on certain topics .

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is this not a bit OTT, make one mistake and forever be on the naughty list from the community manager. Am I missing something ? The first part I thought covered it why the threat?

Don't know, but sure there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Supercilious posters generally get a hard time in AH . Not saying that's you , just an observation from an immature fifty year old.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Here's the latest "working" draft of the Politics Café charter revision. Pretty short for a charter? Readers of this thread may see some changes in response to this Feedback thread discussion. Thanks members! Any recommended improvements? Not to worry, I won't bite (except when the Moon is full).
    Politics Café CHARTER (Revised 26 Sept 2014)

Purpose: This forum allows for the casual and relaxed discussion of politics, as if meeting virtually in a Café or pub atmosphere over tea, coffee, or beer with friends. When you get two or more people together "politics" happens. Humour, friendly banter, cartoons, pictures, videos, smiley faces, and other forms of free expression are encouraged. Posters may aimlessly chat with each other, and wander off-topic just like they might do with friends while chatting in a Café or pub.

Discussions that emphasize serious and rigourous content should be conducted in one of the other 7 Politics forums.

The Café is subject to all the policies, practices, and guidelines contained within boards.ie FAQ and Terms of Use. These are the guidelines you agreed to when joining boards.ie.

The Café is an experiment. This charter is a "working" draft. Members make the forum. You shape it with your posts. If you want to specifically talk Café changes or moderation, don't post them in-thread, rather post them in "FEEDBACK: Help Improve Politics Café," or PM the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Here's the latest "working" draft of the Politics Café charter revision. Pretty short for a charter? Readers of this thread may see some changes in response to this Feedback thread discussion. Thanks members! Any recommended improvements? Not to worry, I won't bite (except when the Moon is full).

Looks pretty decent to me. To carry on with the pub analogies, the function room is all set up and looking well, the trick is to get the regulars to get up from the bar and have a look around.

• Advertisement

Looks good Black Swan :)

Advertisement