Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What charities to support with lotto win?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Acquired Brain Injury Ireland...if I won enough, I'd try give enough for them to build assisted living or dedicated rehab facilities, they do amazing work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The folks down in Kerry who run three charities seem very genuine
    The Saoirse Foundation raises awareness and funds research on rare diseases affecting children
    Liams Lodge is to build a respite centre.
    Bumbleance would be fairly well known and is an ambulance for children

A lotto winner could support 1, 2 or 3 of these. It's your money so you decide if you like one cause but maybe not another. Same founders behind all three

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Dog's Trust and any other non-kill animal shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Acquired brain injury is a fantastic charity too.
    Tbh if I won money I'd give so much away to loads of different charities. (Which is why my husband hopes he will win it not Me)
    All charities have their own good points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I am charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ghogie91 wrote: »
    What would your charity of choice for a big donation if you won the lotto?

There wouldn't be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

I would be donating to Pieta House and Console

Great work done by both organisations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

So who would it be?

Irish or Euro millions?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Irish Cancer Society
    Pieta House
    St. Francis' Hospice
    Various animal charities

Well someone in Ireland is 86million richer this morning. Let's hope that some of our causes get looked after :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'd give to one; Mercy Law Resource Centre. Not technically a charity but they represent homeless people in court and also free legal advice.

I'd probably give to an animal shelter too but other than that, I'm quite weary of charities (speaking as a volunteer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Depends on the size of the win - previously I would've said SvP - but after their donation in Galway, I'd have second thoughts. I don't mind LGBT drop in centres getting support but I always liked SvP because they directly intervened to help people struggling in critical need.

If I won say something north of €10m I'd like to think I'd put a certain amount aside for charitable donations - but rather than give to charity, I'd rather support individual projects where I could monitor the spending better - or buy specific bits of needed equipment in consultation with the charity.

In terms of charities - it would be Laura Lynn, Barretstown, the Special Care Baby Unit in Holles Street, the RNLI and Jack & Jill.

If it was over about €20m - I'd set up an endowment to pay scholarships / support to help kids go to uni and study maths & science.

I wouldn't just make a general donation to a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 suki14

I'd support something locally if possible. Saint Vincent De Paul do fantastic work on the ground and have genuine people on their committees all over Co. Wexford. Take the time to familiarise yourself with the nature of the work they do. Make contact with coordinators and organisers etc and chat to them to get a feel for where you'd like to make the difference. "Hope" Cancer Support in Enniscorthy do fantastic work and are very professional and sensitive in their dealings with families and individuals in need of any level of support. After that, I'd go with M.S. Ireland, the Irish Cancer Society, Wexford Women's Refuge. I'd specify exactly where I'd like my funds to go. Also Console, Aware, National Council for the Blind and the ISPCC are excellent in the work they do.

Alternately, setting up a new charity isn't a bad idea if you feel there's a niche for something that's badly needed.
    It could be approaching secondary schools and asking them if there are any areas they're trying to promote and fund programmes for their students. They are our future.
    Neither is setting up a soup kitchen for the homeless/ elderly/ vulnerable members of the community . You could get veg supplied to you from Tescos /Dunnes/ SuperValu through their charitable scheme, also approach local veg growers for their surplus etc. You could extend it to casseroles and stews. A pop-up stand in town with support from the Council would work. Charge employed people a couple of euros a lunchtime for a takeaway carton and also have an established list of people who're genuinely in need. It also raises awareness for further donations. After its established you could organise some educational basic cookery classes to make the most of veg and pulses, proteins, healthy eating and even link in with growing your own and community allotment projects into the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

The human fund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

So who would it be?

Bernardos, Rehab, Goal. LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Id help out my friends and family first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Not a penny would leave Ireland.
    I would provide Scholarships for Irish schoolkids
    But as I'm not likely to ever win the lottery, I don't give a cent to charity.
    corrupt, the lot of them
    My kids come first.
    There's always a new Xbox game to get
    Demanding feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Apart from helping family and friends I'd like to do something for the Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

LauraLynn is always my first choice.

You know, even if I won the lotto and never needed a job again, I honestly could not sit at home and do nothing. I'd hate being a housewife!

So I'd hire a cleaner and a chef, and I'd offer to take on a paid role in a charity for free. I'm a skilled professional, so I'd be saving them a big chunk of money per year, to go to charity. (And I'd be working in the finance department, so could keep a very close eye on how it was being spent!)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭NZ_2014

World wildlife fund and dogs trust or something similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

A lot of animal charities
    Simon Community
    The Capuchin Day centre for Homeless People
    Make a Wish Foundation
    Irish Cancer Society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

RNLI
    St Francis's Hospice
    Barretstown
    DSPCA
    CTYI (probably not a charity per se, but they use donations to provide scholarships for kids from poor backgrounds)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LifeasaPigeon

Aoibheann's Pink Tie, absolutely fantastic charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Also meant to say age action, they do fantastic work.

Advertisement