Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What charities to support with lotto win?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

So who would it be?

What would your charity of choice for a big donation if you won the lotto?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

The Benson and Hedges fund and the Bulmer.org foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A little French charity I support an awful lot.

It's called Chez Moi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just send me a cheque for the Christian Association for Sheltered Homes. Make it out to CASH for short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Fianna Fáil, poor bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Fianna Fáil greatly appreciates your support. All donations received by the Party are for the sole and exclusive purposes...

Beaten to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ghogie91 wrote: »
    What would your charity of choice for a big donation if you won the lotto?

Lol, good one OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

No specific one. I'd personally fly out to countries and deliver tonnes of food and build wells etc. That way you can see your money being put to good use

I don't like the idea of donating thousands to a charity and a lot of it stays in the pockets of the charity's CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Cochlear Implant department of Beaumont Hospital (and Crumlin). Currently a user of the cochlear implant and it's improved my life massively with it as I now can hear and I probably wouldn't have gotten this far in life without it so I feel that I should give a nice, hearty donation to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

No specific one. I'd personally fly out to countries and deliver tonnes of food and build wells etc. That way you can see your money being put to good use

I don't like the idea of donating thousands to a charity and a lot of it stays in the pockets of the charity's CEO.

The problem with doing that as an individual however is that unless you're familiar with the situation on the ground in a country & are skilled in negotiating its bureaucracy, business customs etc you may find that you actually waste just as much money as a profligate charity. The best run charitable organisations operating in the developing world have built up a huge store of local knowledge & contacts which enable them to deliver food/supplies far more efficiently than a rich newcomer unfamiliar with a country could do. That's not to say they will never balance that out by ludicrous salaries/expenses, etc.

Best bet really is to carefully choose charities which you wish to support by seeing how transparent they are with their finances. If you're donating a large amount of money ask to see their accounts, maybe get a professional opinion on them. Transparent & honest charities will have no problem doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

Barnardos
    Rape Crisis Centre
    Simon/Focus homeless charity
    Addiction Treatment Center (fund for people who can't afford them)
    A few animal charities
    Local youth clubs and after school activities

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Médecins Sans Frontières

Jack & Jill Foundation

LauraLynn Ireland

Simon Community.
    Pieta House.
    Cystic Fibrosis Ireland.
    Baby Max Wings of Love.
    Santa Strike Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Jack and Jill foundation
    Crumlin hospital
    Our lady's childrens hospital
    Irish arthritis charities
    Cystic fibrosis charities
    Bumbalance
    Liam's lodge
    Irish guide dogs
    Lifeboat charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Aware
    Pieta House
    Jack and Jill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Seriously, I don't know whether I would give it to any charities,I come from a big close family and that's where I would start,for me charity begins at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

ABI Ireland
    Touch Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

RNLI
    Cystic Fybrosis Ireland

Then I'd do loads of 'secret millionaire' things.
    There's a man I know who would be fairly well off. Not loaded or anything, but has a successful small business. When one of his customers died, he went ahead of the family and paid the funeral director for the funeral. He knew they hadn't a penny.
    Tried to keep it anonymous but being a small town word obviously got out.

That kinda stuff gives me the goosebumps :)

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Turn2me
    Pieta House.
    Cystic Fibrosis Ireland.
    Calcutta Rescue
    Galway Mountain Rescue (not a charity, I know)

[edit]forgot the RNLI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

St Francis Hospice.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Fianna Fáil, poor bastards.

labour will soon be on the charity list lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

None of them. Don't fancy topping up some fat cat CEO's massive salary.

I'd look after my family and friends.

Lisha wrote: »
    Jack and Jill foundation
    Crumlin hospital
    Our lady's childrens hospital
    Irish arthritis charities
    Cystic fibrosis charities
    Bumbalance
    Liam's lodge
    Irish guide dogs
    Lifeboat charity

If you donate to baby max or Santa strike force you get to help a chunk of those charities without any of your money getting lost in admin fees :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Sauve wrote: »
    RNLI
    Cystic Fybrosis Ireland

Then I'd do loads of 'secret millionaire' things.
    There's a man I know who would be fairly well off. Not loaded or anything, but has a successful small business. When one of his customers died, he went ahead of the family and paid the funeral director for the funeral. He knew they hadn't a penny.
    Tried to keep it anonymous but being a small town word obviously got out.

That kinda stuff gives me the goosebumps :)

maybe his product that that customer paid for killed the customer... guilt trip??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Tbh if I won the lotto I'd set up a new charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Not a penny would be going to charity if I won it tbh. Might seem selfish but it's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

they say charity begins at home so I would buy one and stop paying extortionate dublin rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Peter mcverry trust.
    The donkey sanctuary.
    Asal in Enniscorthy.
    Lifeboats.
    Indian street dogs.( worth a look on youtube the work being done there.)
    Guide dogs.
    Dogs for the disabled.
    The blue cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How much of a win are we talking about here?

After looking after my self and imediate family, would be looking at giving direct to local hospices, The Irish Cancer Society, and McMillian Nurses.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I have done voluntary for years and there are really good charities who do good work without big salaries and bonus.

Feileacain - stillbirth and neonatal death. We give memory boxes and special containers for parents to bring a baby home for a wake- all voluntary.

Irish Premature Babies- donates equipment for NICU's (€200,000 I think) and helping families struggling with sick/preterm babies-all voluntary.

Cliona's Foundation- help parents with travel expenses for treatment when children sick.

Tadhg O Fainin Foundation

Regional sections of DSI Ireland (not central office) areas that parents have to fundraise for therapy/support

The Blue Cross- vet support for animals

Miscarriage Association of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sort out close family with a bit first, i suppose some of the animal welfare charities would be pretty high on the list. Would like to see young kids become a lot better educated on animal welfare and how dogs should not be treated as garden ornaments once the initial excitement wears off.

Advertisement