Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improved Marathon Times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

rom wrote: »
    4:27 - 3:18 - 3:04 - 2:58 - ?

2.5 years between 1 and 4. Was disappointed that I didn't go to sub 3 in 2 years but I got a bit lazy with a new job before number 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mr abbey

Some great reading and amazing improvements there (and some serious times!). A great incentive to push on and try and get the times down. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

2012 - Dublin - 4:16
    2013 - Cork - 3:34
    2013 - Waterford - 3:28 <- 4 weeks after Cork
    2014 - Limerick - 3:26 <- bad day in the office
    2014 - Amsterdam - all going well sub 3 in 4 weeks time, training and recent races has me at 2:55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Two raced marathons so far (also paced Limerick this year)

DCM 2011 3:16
    Budapest 2013 2:50
    Frankfurt 2014 ????
    Boston 2015 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

DCM 2007 4:02
    not a clue,most painful experience of my life.

DCM 2009 3:40
    still no watch but a bit smarter (found boards.ie)

DCM 2013 2:49
    built on the consistency & used a plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Dublin 2008 - 4 04 - Not much training
    Dublin 2009 - 3 10 - followed a plan,
    Dublin 2010 - DNF frown.png - left hip/ITB messed it all up, hobbled 2 miles from 11-13. Joined a club after that
    Dublin 2013 - 2 39 - aiming for 2 30, blew up mile 17 but was happy to go sub 2 40 :D
    Dublin or Berlin 2015 - ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Dub 96 3:27 1st race of any kind
    Belfast 97 (hurricane) 3:16 Ken Doherty wins world champs this day
    Dub 98 2:58
    Nat champs sligo 99 2:53
    Finglas 99 2:51
    Dub 99 3:03
    Belfast/ waterford 01 2:56 (2 weeks apart)
    Dub 02 2:49
    Dub 03 2:48
    Connemara 04 2:55
    Connemara 05 2:48 (2:53 on clock was 5:10 late starting!)
    Longford 05 2:37
    Dub 05 2:35
    Longford 06 2:33:48
    Dub 06 07 2:35
    Dub 08 2:32:48
    a handfull of 2:35 then
    Rotterdam 14 2:31:50

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Itziger wrote: »
    You're being a bit modest not throwing up your London time. 2.55.xx was it?

After some more looking up, VLM was 2:54:38.
    dukeraoul wrote: »
    Two raced marathons so far (also paced Limerick this year)

And a fine job you did too! Stuck with ye 'til Marthastew dropped the hammer & dragged me long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

DCM 2012 - 2:59:36
    Initially targeted a 3:30, then a 3:15 and after a good run in the Dublin HM, I decided to shoot for sub 3. Since I wasn't in a club, the advice from the sub 3 support thread (particularly Krusty) was invaluable.

Barcelona 2013 - 2:54:46
    Had firmly caught the bug and 5 months after DCM I was on the start line again. Upped the milage, followed a P&D plan and everything came together smoothly on the day. Straight off to Asia for 9 months after that!

Rotterdam 2014 - 2:59:09
    Came back from travelling, eagerly jumped into high milage training and its a miracle I didn't get a serious injury. Was on for a sub 2:50 at 20 miles but wheels came off *shudder*. The base wasn't there and poor race tactics meant I was in an absolute ball at the end!

DCM 2014 - ???
    Back to where it all began, should be at least sub 2:45 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I deliberately avoided posting here until Sunday was out of the way :pac:

DCM 2010 - 3:39
    Berlin 2011 - 3:35
    Chicago 2013 - 3:34
    Seville 2014 - 3:08
    Berlin 2014 - 2:59
    Dublin 2014 - ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

jebuz wrote: »
    DCM 2012 - 2:59:36
    Initially targeted a 3:30, then a 3:15 and after a good run in the Dublin HM, I decided to shoot for sub 3. Since I wasn't in a club, the advice from the sub 3 support thread (particularly Krusty) was invaluable.

Barcelona 2013 - 2:54:46
    Had firmly caught the bug and 5 months after DCM I was on the start line again. Upped the milage, followed a P&D plan and everything came together smoothly on the day. Straight off to Asia for 9 months after that!

Rotterdam 2014 - 2:59:09
    Came back from travelling, eagerly jumped into high milage training and its a miracle I didn't get a serious injury. Was on for a sub 2:50 at 20 miles but wheels came off *shudder*. The base wasn't there and poor race tactics meant I was in an absolute ball at the end!

DCM 2014 - ???
    Back to where it all began, should be at least sub 2:45 :pac:

That's an awesome record jebuz. I wonder how many runners (that aren't Kenyan/Ethiopian) can say they've never run a marathon above 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Limerick 2013- 4.07
    Dublin 2013- 3.15

I was starting to bonk by 16 miles in Limerick while going out for the first half in 3.30 pace. A 37 minute positive split in the second half was excruciating! Runners that were 19 minutes down on me at 30k overtook me by the end. Undertrained and overconfident, The two main ingredients in an epic horror show.

Dublin went a lot better but I was over trained this time. I didn't run in the last 3 weeks of the cycle. I was mentally stronger this time around and I made a promise to myself to not walk. I went out in 3.10 pace and started to fall off the pace at mile 22. 6 minute positive split this time.

Dublin 2014- sub-3 hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

DCM 2012: 3.46

First marathon after 6 months training. I began the year unfit and well, overweight. Really enjoyed the day, putting no time pressure on myself. I think people starting out simply put too much pressure on themselves to hit a certain time. Looking back on it two years later would I change a thing? Not a chance.

DCM 2013: 2.58

Got the bug and back for more. Possibly in better shape after some good training but cramp struck. Hit my target with time to spare. Delighted!

Rotterdam 2014: 2.50

A flat performance on a hot day. Possibly over-trained but still clung on for a decent time. Went through halfway in 1.24 but the effort was a bit high so sensibly backed off a bit. Traveling is something that takes a lot out off me. I think sometimes runners people don't appreciate this. I certainly didn't. Great weekend.

DCM 2014: ?

Tough enough course but it certainly won't be hot! Hoping it goes well. A healthy bit of pressure having the family and friends waiting at the end :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jaysis. I was pacing 3:45 that day; how times have changed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

First marathon after 6 months training. I began the year unfit and well, overweight. Really enjoyed the day, putting no time pressure on myself. I think people starting out simply put too much pressure on themselves to hit a certain time. Looking back on it two years later would I change a thing? Not a chance.

Got the bug and back for more. Possibly in better shape after some good training but cramp struck. Hit my target with time to spare. Delighted!

A flat performance on a hot day. Possibly over-trained but still clung on for a decent time. Went through halfway in 1.24 but the effort was a bit high so sensibly backed off a bit. Traveling is something that takes a lot out off me. I think sometimes runners people don't appreciate this. I certainly didn't. Great weekend.

Tough enough course but it certainly won't be hot! Hoping it goes well. A healthy bit of pressure having the family and friends waiting at the end :D.

Jeez, 18 months after 3.46 you call 2.50 a flat performance! And you call a 2 min positive split 'easing back'. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Wow - amazing. Specifically - what changed between 2012 and 2013 to make such a huge improvement? Apart from training more.

Wow - amazing. Specifically - what changed between 2012 and 2013 to make such a huge improvement? Apart from training more.

Doing the non training things rightvabd training correctly rather than just more.

For me I only improve when I have instruction on when to run and when to recover. I have been running with a plan normally since 2011. Each run needs a reason. You don't need to train more to improve. You do need to train smarter and educate yourself. I find this hard and always end up pushing too hard. I realize that I know very little about the sport. If you realize this and take advise on board from the correct sources then you will improve. There is nothing magic about it. However most people think that they know better as they did a Google search than the advice they are getting. I was one of those people that was on the novice thread and read it but it went in one ear and out the other. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous. Education and realizing that you are a mere student of the sport is how you will improve. I know of a situation where a sub 4 guy was talking and education someone else about the sport in the pub. Other guy didn't have the heart to tell him that he was a sub 2:20 guy. Being modest in your achievements so that you still realize that you have a lot to learn is what keeps you sharp. Being a good listener does help. Personally I went through this change as it came as a clear realization that I knew very very little when I ran 4:27. People were better years ago as everyone listened to each other. No internet to spread the wrong information so people didn't have to filter all the wrong info. Someone only told u something if it did work for them. Now we have too much information and everyone thinks they are an expert. I am first to say that I have lots to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

rom wrote: »
    Doing the non training things rightvabd training correctly rather than just more.

For me I only improve when I have instruction on when to run and when to recover. I have been running with a plan normally since 2011. Each run needs a reason. You don't need to train more to improve. You do need to train smarter and educate yourself. I find this hard and always end up pushing too hard. I realize that I know very little about the sport. If you realize this and take advise on board from the correct sources then you will improve. There is nothing magic about it. However most people think that they know better as they did a Google search than the advice they are getting. I was one of those people that was on the novice thread and read it but it went in one ear and out the other. A little bit of knowledge is dangerous. Education and realizing that you are a mere student of the sport is how you will improve. I know of a situation where a sub 4 guy was talking and education someone else about the sport in the pub. Other guy didn't have the heart to tell him that he was a sub 2:20 guy. Being modest in your achievements so that you still realize that you have a lot to learn is what keeps you sharp. Being a good listener does help. Personally I went through this change as it came as a clear realization that I knew very very little when I ran 4:27. People were better years ago as everyone listened to each other. No internet to spread the wrong information so people didn't have to filter all the wrong info. Someone only told u something if it did work for them. Now we have too much information and everyone thinks they are an expert. I am first to say that I have lots to learn.

Did you start to train with a club or coach - or did you just learn from mistakes?

Did you start to train with a club or coach - or did you just learn from mistakes?

I started to train by myself and after a year I did my first half. Rushed into my first full a few months later and it was hell. With a 1:52 half I expected that I would have ran sub 4. From then on I have had guidance except between April this year and recently where I overtrained and under recovered. I had no plan post marathon and thought I could just keep going after a week or two break. Still learning lessons the hard way but Having someone who is in the game longer telling you should take a rest day or push harder at the right times is what you need. Consistency of training over time is all what is needed. Something I can find hard. From getting proper sleep to doing 3 weeks hard 1 one easy and repeat etc. Its all basic stuff but doing things like running 70 miles in the week you return from being sick or post race need to be avoided if you only average 40-50 miles a week. It is all the small non running things once you are training at the right paces for your ability. I now take my recovery drink and sleep for 45 mins post a long run. Its a constant cycle of stressing the body and recover. You only improve during recovery and not during the stress. So if you constantly stress then you won't improve and I was doing that for the last 6 months or so. Its a trap that you can easy fall into even if you were in it before.

I am far from an expert but it is annoying when advise from far better runners than myself is discounted as the OP knows best. The better runner is probably better due to knowledge of the sport and they might not always be right but they have a proven track record rather than the novice.

Having helped a few people with training in the past those who have blind faith in me usually do best. Those who constantly question everything are looking for excuses to give up. At the end of the day it can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be but when someone that is much much better than me gives me a word or two of advise I don't retort but I go away and think about it, give it a go and see if it works for me.

This mindset is not just for novice runners. There are one or two on here (no need to mention names) that believe that they know everything about the sport however I am yet to see their book or published papers as I would be interested in reading them. Some of these people are stagnated in their improvements as they don't have an open mind in how they can improve also.

Then there are those (I have been one) who give advise and have the best intensions but may be wrong in what they are recommending at times. Its very simple if you see some advise then research the user to see what ability of runner they are. If they are accomplished then give it more weight but still question it. It they are not so much then factor this in also.

Knowledge transfer in Kenya is not done through people reading boards.co.ke but respect and listening from those who have gone before. The problem is with the internet there is too much information and as a result too much noise. We have all read posts on carbing loading and drinking gallons of water and taking a gel every 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

a flat performance, are you having a laugh, great improvement, good luck in Dublin. i will be a long way behind you . by the measures of your improvement..i suspect 2:45?

good luck and please dont come back after saying you have a flat performance and ran 2:43///

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Cork marathon 2013, in 3h 50 minutes

I hit the wall at mile 16 and suffered badly for the last 10 miles. torture

limerick 2014, 3h 26 minutes. the complete opposite, crossed the line with plenty in the tank

Dublin 2014

Will not be as good though, just coming back from an injury, so it wont be any where as good or as comfortable as Limerick, so a pb will have to wait.
    Good luck to all

Thanks. Not sure if amazing is the right word though!

I suppose a mixture of things. I was put on the right track in terms of running efficiency, posture, arm movement etc. from quite early on. I am very consistent with training and very rarely go take a day off. Other than that just the usual boring stuff, miles after miles.

It's in everyone. You just have to believe and not put limits on yourself. I have a main long term target so everything is aimed towards that. Every race is a steeping stone to the ultimate goal. I won't publish the target. I might be laughed out of it! :pac:

amcgee wrote: »
    a flat performance, are you having a laugh, great improvement, good luck in Dublin. i will be a long way behind you . by the measures of your improvement..i suspect 2:45?

good luck and please dont come back after saying you have a flat performance and ran 2:43///

I won't, don't worry! :) It's race that I won't allow myself to be flat on. Best of luck in Dublin, it's great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭ploughon

Some inspiring reads.

My history...
    Conn 2009 - 4.20
    Dub 2009 - 3.53
    Con 2010 - 3.38
    Con 2011 - 3.21
    Dub 2011 - 3.30
    Con 2012 - 3.31
    Dub 2013 - 3.19 (ran these last 3 marathons carrying an injury)

Dublin 2014???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just to get back to some more mundane numbers...

Dublin 2012 - 4:02. Plan peaked around 35 miles/wk
    Dublin 2013 - 3:46. Plan peaked around 40 miles/wk
    Berlin 2014 - 3:36. Plan peaked around 55 miles/wk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Waterford 2012 3:26
    Dublin 2012 : 3.09
    Limerick 2013: 3.02 (I think)
    Dublin 2013 3.00.04 (FML)
    London 2014 2.59
    Dublin 2014 3.39

Total mileage inc training 198 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Murph_D wrote: »
    Just to get back to some more mundane numbers...

Dublin 2012 - 4:02. Plan peaked around 35 miles/wk
    Dublin 2013 - 3:46. Plan peaked around 40 miles/wk
    Berlin 2014 - 3:36. Plan peaked around 55 miles/wk

Tomorrow I'm going to read your log from
    Start to finish. Although I know the finish..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Tomorrow I'm going to read your log from
    Start to finish. Although I know the finish..

Ah now. It's not over yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

DCM2011 4:45 (no plan)
    DCM2012 4:27 ( bit of a plan)
    London 2014 3:52 ( meno plan)

Next target 3:30 Spring 2015 hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

DCM 09 – 4:50:14 – Nightmare, totally unprepared, Higdon (18 week beginner)
    DCM 10 – 3:49:39 – Higdon (18 week intermediate)
    Berlin 11 – 3:22:59 – P&D (18 week 55 mile)
    Conn 12 – 3:21:13 – P&D (12 week 55 mile)
    DCM 12 – 3:11:45 – P&D (18 weeks 70 mile)
    Barcelona 13 – 3:10:28 – P&D (12 weeks 70 mile)
    London 14 – 3:28:00 – Nightmare Mark II, P&D (18 weeks 55 mile)
    DCM 14 - ??:??:?? – Time will tell, Daniels 26 weeks (55 mile 4 week cycle)

Few others in between but these are the main ones.

Advertisement