Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Age of Extinction

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Now I've seen it 3 times, I like it even more. Cant help but think of Kelsey Grammars character as Frasier though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

It was an endurance event sitting through the film. At 2hrs I wanted to leave and I was hoping for a power cut.

It's without a doubt the worst transformers film I have ever seen. It was more like a 2 1/2 hour commercial for big brands that were littered throughout the movie.

The script was awful. It felt like it was written by 20 writers, all arguing over what direction they should take the film.

A reboot at this stage is so badly needed. It's obvious that Micheal Bay doesn't care about transformers anymore. It's just an opportunity to make easy $.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He cared in the 1st place! !!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

The script was awful. It felt like it was written by 20 writers, all arguing over what direction they should take the film.

I still to this day can't fathom that the writer responsible for this series also wrote Arlington Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I still to this day can't fathom that the writer responsible for this series also wrote Arlington Road.

Whoa :eek:

That was such a great film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Similar to others. I was totally bored by the film and after the 2 hour mark I just wanted to leave. I was exhausted by the time the film was over and not because anything good happened. Nothing different bar maybe less American army crap. Waste of money but we all knew that would be the case right:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

One word = EPIC! :D

Candy gal gets it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

My little fella is 5 and transformer mad - and i mean mad.

But would i be mad on bringing him?

I know it's 12A but i read the guidelines and he can go once he's with a responsible (!) adult!!

It's 165 minutes long and there needs to be more action/explosions than an actual plot to keep him interested for that long.

Any thoughts from those of you here that have already seen it?

Hmmm. I don't know. Theres only one actually kinda scary thing I can think of, no blood, more action than story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hmmm. I don't know. Theres only one actually kinda scary thing I can think of, no blood, more action than story.

I watched the trailer and saw the bit where the girl is pushed down quite aggressively but I'd explain that to him. I might hit xtravision tomorrow - get the last one and see how he finds it - unless anyone knows if they're on Netflix??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to admit my favorite "WTF" moment was the dinobots
    charging into action in a badass manner. some of its actualy in one of the trailer where they storm the bridge, but in the full you see them transform and pose in an incredably macho looking manover to defend it from.....

.....no one ! .

literally NOTHING comes of that whole scene. no one attacks em, no one even LOOKS to be attacking them.

best defense i can think of is whomever it was meant to be just legged it.

:D:D:D:D

thats bay for ya !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

highly1111 wrote: »
    I watched the trailer and saw the bit where the girl is pushed down quite aggressively but I'd explain that to him. I might hit xtravision tomorrow - get the last one and see how he finds it - unless anyone knows if they're on Netflix??

3rd one is on us netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

highly1111 wrote: »
    My little fella is 5 and transformer mad - and i mean mad.

But would i be mad on bringing him?

I know it's 12A but i read the guidelines and he can go once he's with a responsible (!) adult!!

It's 165 minutes long and there needs to be more action/explosions than an actual plot to keep him interested for that long.

Any thoughts from those of you here that have already seen it?

He might be a little bored for the initial first hour or so but after that you shouldnt have a problem. There is action in the first part but in the second half it really goes mental. So Im sure your son will love the second half more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thought it was garbage tbh. Found myself falling asleep at times (went at 2 during the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Had very very low expectations for this so it was better than expected still only a 5/10 for me. Didn't have much issues with Optimus Prime, bumblebee seriously underused and probably the weaker for this movie given added focus on the others.
    ratchet getting the hatchet thought with little thought, such a shame
    . Serious editing issues at times though, when Wahlberg was chatting to prime in the spaceship it sounded like he was talking through a phone, numerous scenes had autobots mouths moving but no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its all over the place this film but its not bad.

I think Wahlberg as the lead is a bit odd, it just didn't sit well with me although it was nice not to have to watch the twitchy and generally annoying LaBeouf flap across the screen for a change. Its waaay too long for a Bay film. I almost enjoyed the utter brainlessness of the first 2 (Never seen TF3) but this one actually has some sort of recognizable plot structure but its too late for that now, not after 3 films.

The CGI is no sharper or more impressive than the 2007 Transformers which is a little dissappointing. Still good enough though. Found the morphing of new human-made transformers clumsy and a step back visually.

The Dinobots are a very deliberate late entry in the film to give punch & they do but I just didn't get a big enough thrill as I thought I would from their inclusion. Tucci and Grammer are very much welcome additions to the cast because other than these two theres not a lot of acting going on here but hey I have no right to be suprised at that, its a Bay blockbuster after all. Actually Tucci was class, he's a cool guy.

Its too little too late here to save a cosmetically pleasing but utterly flawed series of films that will always have me thinking what could have been done in the hands of another director. Will I go see the next one? Probably haha.:pac:

Sigh......

5.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Loved the first Transformers, the sequels were terrible though, and this is much worse. While I actually liked Walberg in this, the 'inventor' angle they gave him just wasn't right. The writing is just terrible, and some scenes were just cringe worthy. Even the CGI was a bit naff at times.

I don't know how many times they can keep rehashing the same rubbish - humans love/hate with the Autobots, some sort of evil robot race attempting to destroy earth etc. Or maybe I'm missing the point, and that's the whole arc of the franchise - I've never watched the cartoons.

Best bit about it was the Irish actor. Great to see asomeone do well across the pond and involved in a big franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I saw it earlier today and i'm still a bit conflicted. it was full of great ideas but the execution was almost always a dud.
    The whole angle about Lockdown hunting for Optimus was interesting and I wanted to know more about who his creators were and what he was originally suppose to do, but it went nowhere. Also...in the first film, didn't they say that the Allspark is what gave them life?

The human element was far stronger than in previous films and was hugely helped my Marky Mark, though the daughter was just eye candy (and they go out of their way to say that she's a minor so why be so gratuitous in objectifying her?) Her boyfriend is also totally superfluous and i forgot he was in the film at times.

Dinobots wasted.

The whole Galvatron sub-plot. I understand how it's necessary for the next film, but really, it's messy and their weird morphing looks like it was done to save money.

We're suppose to feel sorry for Mark Wahlberg's friend who f*&%ed them over, yet Ironhide (who was in three previous outings) dies in the last film and no-one gives a f&%k.

But then there was also some stuff i really liked...
    Bumblebee is no longer just a pet. he's actually given less screen-time than the other Autobots.

Actual plots! And sub-plots! I know it's supposed to be a requirement for most films but damn was it refreshing.

At times, this film went dark and was better for it. The idea of hunting down autobots. the corporate stuff. The image of Poor Ratchet's head melting is sure to upset a few kids. :(

I might be going against the grain here, but i quite liked the Autobots in this. they did feel like separate characters, except for the dinobots.

Overall, flashes of inspiration in yet another Transformers film that misses the mark. I don't hate Bay, but I think he just lets his excesses get to him. he can't reel in his set-pieces and dial down the Bayhem at all. I'd love to see what a transformers film would be like with a different director at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The whole angle about Lockdown hunting for Optimus was interesting and I wanted to know more about who his creators were and what he was originally suppose to do, but it went nowhere. Also...in the first film, didn't they say that the Allspark is what gave them life?

Yup, having watched Transformers the other night (came across it on TV, such a superior movie to anything that followed btw), it opens with Optimus saying the AllSpark created all life. Now we've got some creators that did it. Bay really doesn't give a fcuk about what he puts up on screen does he.

I watched this 2 weeks ago while I was over in the UK for work (sure what else was I gonna do). I'd rank it better than T2 and maybe slightly better than T3 but it's still a pretty rank movie.

The Autobots are generally assh*les. A particular highlight of this being a scene where
    Optimus is captured and says "I'll never be a slace again", setting the implication that everyone on that ship are slaves.
    . A few scenes later
    a little caged organic alien, one of the 'slaves', spits at an autobot who then SHOOTS it dead! WTF!
    As I said, assh*les. Not to mention the join us or die attitude of Optimus.

The action was weak too IMO. There was no real showstopper, no "wow, that's cool" moment. Some of the set pieces were entertaining but it's all been done before at this point. Most disappointing I felt was that there wasn't much actual transforming. Thinking back to the original again, that set piece of Starscream switching from jet to robot, taking out fighter jets was better than anything T4 produced. The new morphing transforming effect was cheap and looked sh*t.

The dinobots were redundant. They served no purpose other than to even up the numbers against
    the factory line transformers who Bumblebee and Hound seemed to be dealing with quite well until (for the first time ever in the series) they started running out of ammo
    :confused:

The less said about
    Galvatron
    the better. They've totally botched that character, if for no other reason than they will have to continue using that stupid morphing effect for the sequels.

The only saving grace of this movie is that they actually put together a few interesting concepts. The bounty hunter was great. Kramer's mission to wipe out the Transformers after Chicago was a fresh take on the series. The lack of US army was good too. It was too easy in the first 3 movies for the army to take out transformers. Glad to see them track back on that a little bit and for the Transformers to be back in a league of their own again.

The cast was quite good in general too. Mark was a good lead despite being cast as a broke genius inventor running a lab out of a farm shed. Soooo stoopid. The daughter was a bit ridiculous though with the pervy shots of her while we're reminded that she (the character, not the actress) is underage. What exactly was Bay going for there? I'm not really sure what else she contributed to the film but she was far better than the one in T3.

4/10 - nice try to come up with an original idea for the series but it just missed the mark on so many components that it didn't work for me.

For reference... T1 - 7/10, T2 - 2/10, T3 - 3/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We're suppose to feel sorry for
    Mark Wahlberg's friend who f*&%ed them over, yet Ironhide (who was in three previous outings) dies in the last film and no-one gives a f&%k.
    I agree with everything you said but to take this one step further, what about,
    Ratchet being offed in the fist place they invested less time in that but it still has more impact than the loud obnoxious eejit in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

razorblunt wrote: »
    I agree with everything you said but to take this one step further, what about,
    Ratchet being offed in the fist place they invested less time in that but it still has more impact than the loud obnoxious eejit in the first place.

I agree. the only saving grace that has is that the
    Autobots sort of loose their **** and storm the place when they see his melting head

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I enjoyed it for what it was tbh.

Thought it was quite funny in places, especially when
    the japanese robot sees the dinobots and says he's surprised because he thought they were going to be cars.

Lots of nonsensical stuff, but didn't expect anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I remember reading once how Steven Spielberg said making The Lost World was (paraphrasing) the most boring film he'd made and vowed never to do a sequel again.

4 films down and how Michael Bay motivates himself to spend so much of his time working on such vacuous, souless fare is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

This movie was ridiculous , total rubbish and left after 90 mins as it was too long too . Even my 12 yo wanted to leave earlier .
    Do people really enjoy this rubbish ?
    Surely stuff like this is only made for young kids .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I remember reading once how Steven Spielberg said making The Lost World was (paraphrasing) the most boring film he'd made and vowed never to do a sequel again.

4 films down and how Michael Bay motivates himself to spend so much of his time working on such vacuous, souless fare is beyond me.

$$$$$ :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The 4th film was an agreement to let him do Pain & Gain, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

blingrhino wrote: »
    This movie was ridiculous , total rubbish and left after 90 mins as it was too long too . Even my 12 yo wanted to leave earlier .
    Do people really enjoy this rubbish ?
    Surely stuff like this is only made for young kids .

Ratings: 6.3/10 from 58,385 users

Worldwide

As of July 13, 2014, Transformers: Age of Extinction has grossed $208,833,713 in the United States and Canada and $543,500,000 in other markets, for a worldwide total of $752,333,713.[103] Worldwide, it is the fifty fourth highest-grossing film and the highest-grossing film of 2014.

Yes, people like it. I thought it was fine myself and my kid enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ratings: 6.3/10 from 58,385 users

Worldwide

As of July 13, 2014, Transformers: Age of Extinction has grossed $208,833,713 in the United States and Canada and $543,500,000 in other markets, for a worldwide total of $752,333,713.[103] Worldwide, it is the fifty fourth highest-grossing film and the highest-grossing film of 2014.

Yes, people like it. I thought it was fine myself and my kid enjoyed it.

I find peoples ratings to be over shot all the time.

Smart people would rate this film much lower.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I find peoples ratings to be over shot all the time.

Smart people would rate this film much lower.

Less of this please. Generalised comments such as this can easily escalate and derail discussion. See the recent changes to the charter. Thanks.

Advertisement