Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Early morning runners

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you think, boxing, MMA, Rugby, Ironmans are good for you? Do you want to go over to any of those forums and tell them that? Probably not, because that would be considered trolling.

As the Rock says:

I would not think 10 boxing matches in 10 days would be good for you
    I would not think 10 MMA matches in 10 days would be good for you
    I would not think 10 rugby matches in 10 days would be good for you
    I would not think 10 ironmen in 10 days would be good for you
    sure the top GAA inter county GAA teams were giving out when they had to play 2 matches in 6 days

And that's the peoples elbow write back at you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

in fairness,any one can do an ironman,,,mci style of course

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I would not think 10 boxing matches in 10 days would be good for you
    I would not think 10 MMA matches in 10 days would be good for you
    I would not think 10 rugby matches in 10 days would be good for you
    I would not think 10 ironmen in 10 days would be good for you
    sure the top GAA inter county GAA teams were giving out when they had to play 2 matches in 6 days

And that's the peoples elbow write back at you!

Technically, running is a lot more natural than any of the above. In fact, it is probably, one of the most natural things in the world. The human body is built for endurance, it's built to walk/run, our systems are designed to fuel and work efficiently over long distances like this. Our ancestors would trek for days after a bloody wooly mammoth waiting for it to get weak enough to kill and then drag it back to their families...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Technically, running is a lot more natural than any of the above. In fact, it is probably, one of the most natural things in the world. The human body is built for endurance, it's built to walk/run, our systems are designed to fuel and work efficiently over long distances like this. Our ancestors would trek for days after a bloody wooly mammoth waiting for it to get weak enough to kill and then drag it back to their families...

I think you mean, the human body was developed for endurance over a 1000 years ago.
    Nowadays we are built to depend on cushion runners, gps watches and the tv remote control :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I can't see what you are trying to achieve here other than troll. A good few of the people taking part in and organising those marathons are posters on here. Are you trying to wind them up somehow or provoke a response?

No-one asked you whether or not you thought it was good for them, I am sure none of them care what you think tbh. They aren't asking for your adulation or approval. Nobody is claiming to be a great athlete or anything like that; they are just a bunch of adults taking part in a low key event and doing something they enjoy doing and want to take part in.

Why do you feel the need to give your opinion on that?

This post hit the nail on the head. I can safely say that nobody running, organising or marshalling in the 10in10 cares what the op think of there looks or fittness. Im 1 of 2 Directors of The east of Ireland marathons and am also running the 10 marathons. Why didnt the op come over and ask what was going on instead of making up his own opinions based on no knolwledge except what some people looked like. By the way we are raising money for temple street while running and hopefully will raise in the multiple of thousands by the end. Thats why i never want anything to do with the Eoi on boards. I agree with niall that the op is a troll and cant believe hes been allowed continue to this point. Id say more but id only be feeding the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Back on topic I went out for a run Tues lunchtime and the first maybe 10runners were home already. None of them puffing or spluttering. So regardless of build, stature etc mentioned in previous comments they seem well able.
    My question now is, do they not have jobs? Or do they take 8 days off if they want to do this? That's commitment.

And just to clarify, I was the OP not the troll mentioned in Oisin's post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Back on topic I went out for a run Tues lunchtime and the first maybe 10runners were home already. None of them puffing or spluttering. So regardless of build, stature etc mentioned in previous comments they seem well able.
    My question now is, do they not have jobs? Or do they take 8 days off if they want to do this? That's commitment.

In most jobs would you not get over 20 days of leave a year? 8 days out of that to do something you love wouldn't be such a chore I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

started on a Friday, finishes on a Sunday so they 'only' have to take 6 days off....I guess most take it from their annual leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

started on a Friday, finishes on a Sunday so they 'only' have to take 6 days off....I guess most take it from their annual leave.
    Most of dem are on vtos scheme....

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

fair play to them.

I wasn't trolling. I made a general observation and somebody else made a snide comment and got pulled totally off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    This post hit the nail on the head. I can safely say that nobody running, organising or marshalling in the 10in10 cares what the op think of there looks or fittness. Im 1 of 2 Directors of The east of Ireland marathons and am also running the 10 marathons. Why didnt the op come over and ask what was going on instead of making up his own opinions based on no knolwledge except what some people looked like. By the way we are raising money for temple street while running and hopefully will raise in the multiple of thousands by the end. Thats why i never want anything to do with the Eoi on boards. I agree with niall that the op is a troll and cant believe hes been allowed continue to this point. Id say more but id only be feeding the troll.

In fairness, the OP never said anything negative about the event or runners, it was a different poster. Also, it's probably best not to call someone a troll, if you have an issue with a post use the report post function and the mod's will look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Whatever about possible misunderstandings above, 10 marathons in 10 days is tough no matter what the pace. The leader in particular, with his 7 marathons currently averaging around the 3.15 mark is great going, especially when you factor in the difficulty of the Howth course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Whatever about possible misunderstandings above, 10 marathons in 10 days is tough no matter what the pace. The leader in particular, with his 7 marathons currently averaging around the 3.15 mark is great going, especially when you factor in the difficulty of the Howth course.

Funny enough the Howth course (4 laps of howth head) seems to be producing marginally faster times than the clontarf course. Just goes to show the Clontarf HM course is not a fast one ( the marathon course they use is pretty much 2 laps of that).

The leader (who I am sure you know paced the 1:30 group in Clontarf with yourself) has built up a 2hr lead over the 7 marathons, but the battle for 2nd/3rd/4th looks very tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Funny enough the Howth course (4 laps of howth head) seems to be producing marginally faster times than the clontraf course. Just goes to show the Clontarf HM course is not a fast one.

The leader (who I am sure you know paced the 1:30 group in Clontarf with yourself) has built up a 2hr lead over the 7 marathons, but the battle for 2nd/3rd/4th looks very tight.

That's right, he did. Small world :)

Yeah, that's interesting. I suppose the wind might be a big factor (don't know if ot goes on that blasted beach!) I don't know if that type event will ever be for me but serious credit to them.

That's the great thing about running. Enough room for the fast/slow, 100m to the ridiculous distances etc etc!

pconn062 wrote: »
    In fairness, the OP never said anything negative about the event or runners, it was a different poster. Also, it's probably best not to call someone a troll, if you have an issue with a post use the report post function and the mod's will look after it.

Yeah i meant the next guy not the op. And hes a troll imo. Opinions are great arent they.

Funny enough the Howth course (4 laps of howth head) seems to be producing marginally faster times than the clontarf course. Just goes to show the Clontarf HM course is not a fast one ( the marathon course they use is pretty much 2 laps of that).

He did 3.10 today on howth today on day 8

3.16 and 3.12 on the last 2 days for the winner Brian o Kelly

Advertisement