Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Early morning runners

Options
  • 16-09-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed some light on the group of runners that do an early morning run opp Clontarf Garda Station - seem to be running for a fairly large trophy. They finish up about 815am back at the car park opp Garda Station.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on the group of runners that do an early morning run opp Clontarf Garda Station - seem to be running for a fairly large trophy. They finish up about 815am back at the car park opp Garda Station.

East of Ireland Marathons - 10 marathons in 10 days alternating between Clontarf & Howth - today is day 5

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

kit3 wrote: »
    East of Ireland Marathons - 10 marathons in 10 days alternating between Clontarf & Howth - today is day 5

10 marathons in 10 days, tats mentel. I seen them yesterday morning. I was wonderin why so many of them looked like they were shufling along! That cant be good for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

10 marathons in 10 days, tats mentel. I seen them yesterday morning. I was wonderin why so many of them looked like they were shufling along! That cant be good for ya
    I saw them on Friday (day 1) and I thought they must have been starting around 8 because there were some still coming in around lunch time. Rather them than me, all's I can say ...

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Holy sh$t - fair play to them.
    I'd be hobbling to work after a one half marathon. But 10 - hats off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The ones that start at 8am are people who need an 'early start' they are those who will take longer than 5 hours I think, the majority are starting at 9am (20 are doing the full 10 in 10 with approx another 20 running each day).
    The leader has ran 3:15 or faster for each of the 4 days so far, that's hardly shuffling....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thread tidied up.

Shuffle along now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

robinph wrote: »
    Thread tidied up.

Shuffle along now.
    mmmm

menoscemo wrote: »
    The leader has ran 3:15 or faster for each of the 4 days so far, that's hardly shuffling....

that is some going. What is his PB for the maraton? it must not have being him who I saw

T runner wrote: »
    Calling his comment "uninformed" is attacking the post. I'm sure many other ultra runners would challenge the lazy generalisation that 10 marathons in 10 days "cant be good for you". That's not attacking the poster.

in general terms they dont look like the fittest group of runners i ever seen so does not look good to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

in general terms they dont look like the fittest group of runners i ever seen so does not look good to me

I couldn't run 10 marathons in 10 days. Could you?

If not then they are specifically fitter for the challenge in hand than you or I.

If you looked at their results you'd see most of them have been doing those marathons for years. They might be sore after 10 of them but that's the nature of the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

does not look good to me
    I'd be quite sure that looking good to you was never their intention.

I couldn't run 10 marathons in 10 days. Could you?

not 10 fast marathons, but I am sure I could do 10 at some pace. sure didnt eddie izzord run 40 odd marathons. didnt seem good for him from what i can recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

not 10 fast marathons, but I am sure I could do 10 at some pace. sure didnt eddie izzord run 40 odd marathons. didnt seem good for him from what i can recall

Dear god don't get them started on Eddie Izoard!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

There are runners here who run in races that last a week. Like these guys they have been doing it a while and are usually adequately prepared though (repeating myself but check the results on their website).

If you still feel your comments are informed, sure head to their FB page, warn them that what their doing is putting them in peril, tell them about Eddie Izzard..... and sure let us know here so we can click in and follow the action!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No offence, but some runners here are a bit defensive, if is good or not for you that's up to each individual. No science saying it is good for you, while there is reports on the wear and tear of running on the body.

Depends on what you believe in and the injuries people had over the years, but there is alot of evidence of people even on boards picking alot of injuries up who did more than one marathon a year compare to those that didnt, even in our club.

There are runners here who run in races that last a week. Like these guys they have been doing it a while and are usually adequately prepared though (repeating myself but check the results on their website).

If you still feel your comments are informed, sure head to their FB page, warn them that what their doing is putting them in peril, tell them about Eddie Izzard..... and sure let us know here so we can click in and follow the action!

it is funny how a simple comment can wind up some people. Can i also say i don't think playing 5 aside football on an astro pitch when you are overwright is not good for you. Just my observation. I taught this was a message board.

I personally dont think its good for you. That is why i will never do anything like that. Thats my opinion and you're arguing against it will not change it. So no I wont warn them on facebook because im sure they wont agree with me and no amount of me telling them otherwise will change their mninds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

No offence, but some runners here are a bit defensive, if is good or not for you that's up to each individual. No science saying it is good for you, while there is reports on the wear and tear of running on the body.

Depends on what you believe in and the injuries people had over the years, but there is alot of evidence of people even on boards picking alot of injuries up who did more than one marathon a year compare to those that didnt, even in our club.

Disagreeing with your opinion is being defensive?

I can give you a couple of counter-examples of runners who ran over 80 marathon last year without getting injured. I can also give you plenty of examples of runners who didn't run any marathons at all and still got injured.

20 years ago, before marathon running became mainstream, they were thought to be solely for the deranged ones.

Actually, I very much agree with one of your sentences: if it's good or not for you that's up to each individual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Can I ask why my post highlighting that I reported Thomas B The mod's sarcastic post was deleted? The community needs to know people call it out when a mod is rude to posters on A/R.

Disagreeing with your opinion is being defensive?

I can give you a couple of counter-examples of runners who ran over 80 marathon last year without getting injured. I can also give you plenty of examples of runners who didn't run any marathons at all and still got injured.

20 years ago, before marathon running became mainstream, they were thought to be solely for the deranged ones.

Actually, I very much agree with one of your sentences: if it's good or not for you that's up to each individual

I thinks its the manner of the way it was put by both sides!
    Of course there is counter examples, lets see how these 80 people are in their old age, they could be perfectly ok and might not. Wasn't having a dig at you in particular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

but there is alot of evidence of people even on boards picking alot of injuries up who did more than one marathon a year compare to those that didnt, even in our club.
    I personally dont think its good for you.
    lets see how these 80 people are in their old age, they could be perfectly ok and might not.

There's a lad around who has ran over 400 marathons at this stage, I think he done that 10 marathons in 10 day challenge last year or the year before too. He's in fine shape, he's at some point in his 60s and he completed his 400th this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's a lad around who has ran over 400 marathons at this stage, I think he done that 10 marathons in 10 day challenge last year or the year before too. He's in fine shape.

That's Dave Brady.

Though how much of a gentleman he is is even more remarkable than his marathoning

Yes, didn't want to name him for some strange reason of mine. As you say, he's an absolute gent and the lengths he goes to to run a race or marathon is nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Some people play golf every day (probably!), Dave races every day. It's his hobby and it's social and he loves it, so why not? Each to their own, as people are saying upthread :-)

And Dave and any of his 100 marathon pals I've met are so generous with advice and encouragement to new marathoners; sometimes in the run up to your first marathon it's nice and reassuring to meet people who think marathons are no big deal.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Each to their own, as people are saying upthread :-)

I wasn't knocking it, I was using him as a shining example that it doesn't kill you, despite the large number of marathons he has ran and him being around retirement age.

There's a lad around who has ran over 400 marathons at this stage, I think he done that 10 marathons in 10 day challenge last year or the year before too. He's in fine shape, he's at some point in his 60s and he completed his 400th this year.

There is always corner cases, i know guys who did marathons 4/5 times a year and cant run now due to knee damage from it according to the surgeon!!

I just dont think we should judge either side as we don't know how good it is or not for each individual till we see the results of it in years to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I wasn't knocking it, I was using him as a shining example that it doesn't kill you, despite the large number of marathons he has ran and him being around retirement age.

Sorry! I know you weren't :) I was backing up what you & TBubendorfer said about him being great and nice and that all that marathoning hadn't done him any harm.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Following that logic. Keith Richards has done a shed load of drugs and is grand. I know a couple of lads who tried soft drugs a few times and resulted in bad effects.

it is funny how a simple comment can wind up some people. Can i also say i don't think playing 5 aside football on an astro pitch when you are overwright is not good for you. Just my observation. I taught this was a message board.

I personally dont think its good for you. That is why i will never do anything like that. Thats my opinion and you're arguing against it will not change it. So no I wont warn them on facebook because im sure they wont agree with me and no amount of me telling them otherwise will change their mninds.

I can't see what you are trying to achieve here other than troll. A good few of the people taking part in and organising those marathons are posters on here. Are you trying to wind them up somehow or provoke a response?

No-one asked you whether or not you thought it was good for them, I am sure none of them care what you think tbh. They aren't asking for your adulation or approval. Nobody is claiming to be a great athlete or anything like that; they are just a bunch of adults taking part in a low key event and doing something they enjoy doing and want to take part in.

Why do you feel the need to give your opinion on that?

menoscemo wrote: »

No-one asked you whether or not you thought it was good for them or not, I am sure none of them care what you think tbh. They aren't asking for your adulation or approval. Nobody is claiming to be a great athlete or anything like that; they are just a bunch of adults taking part in a low key event and doing something they enjoy doing and want to take part in.

Why do you feel the need to give your opinion on that?

I just made a throw away comment about me thinking it could not be good for you. A lot of them didn't look too lively yesterday. Feck sake, yis are all very sensitife around here. Do you always keep you're opinions to yourselve

• Advertisement

I just made a throw away comment about me thinking it could not be good for you

Do you think, boxing, MMA, Rugby, Ironmans are good for you? Do you want to go over to any of those forums and tell them that? Probably not, because that would be considered trolling.

As the Rock says:

Advertisement