Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Lidl/Aldi doomed once the recession is over?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Mary63 wrote: »
    I bought milk in lidl recently and it was in date.I took a mouthful and it wasnt just gone off,the taste was indescribable,never again.I read somewhere recently that it is really cheap poor quality milk,I would never buy it again.

I have bought thousands of litres of milk hundreds of times in Lidl, over 10 years, and never any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What I like about Aldi is that they don't have this Loyalty card and points business.

That stuff is not 'free' which ever way you cut it. It's simply giving the impression that you are saving money somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

What I like about Aldi is that they don't have this Loyalty card and points business.

That stuff is not 'free' which ever way you cut it. It's simply giving the impression that you are saving money somehow.
    I suppose the €140 I got in club card vouchers from Tesco in my Christmas savers and spent on a full shop was me getting the wool pulled over my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

it can be some times?

for e.g. we bought a ps3 in tesco's for €50 and a new ipod for €50 last year, both huge bargains at the time themselves, the points from them meant we got a voucher worth €10 which bought bread and milk for the week for free. so that to me is saving money in a way aldi/lidl just don't offer,

if you are buying the stuff anyway why not get something back for free rather than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I suppose the €140 I got in club card vouchers from Tesco in my Christmas savers and spent on a full shop was me getting the wool pulled over my eyes

Kind of, they over charge you for a few months, and "gift" you a small portion of this back in Club card vouchers.

• Advertisement

Kind of, they over charge you for a few months, and "gift" you a small portion of this back in Club card vouchers.

No I shop carefully and compare prices online so don't get overcharged. And still get €140 vouchers no "gifting" there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I spilt my shopping between lidl, aldi dunnes and Tesco. over the years you learn the products from each shop. what I like about lidl/aldi is they have also opened up around the country in towns where people don't have a choice in supermarkets. I know people will argue that closes the local shops but in the town where im from the local fruit and veg shop, butchers etc have held their own. when home ill pop into lidl stock up on things like toilet paper, cleaning products dishwasher tablets etc. I do find though the local fruit and veg shop or supervalue, Tesco are handy for people living on their own as often the fruit and veg or loose and not I packets. often the L and A veg come in packetd and would be going off by the endl
    for food I am defo buying more and more in Adi I prefer the food from there compare to lidl. So maybe once a forthnight i stock up on the things i like from Aldi. Tesco is awful for meat unless im stuck i dont buy from there. Dunnes can have some good offers.ive switched to some of their own brand products had a 40 euro and get 8 euro back coupon before xmas. There were loads of special offers on ie the mouthwash i use wz on half price so stocked up on that and there own brand products like a ling expiry date. Imostly use dunnes or tescos for the top up shop. The savings id rather put it towards my travel

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

Happy new year to all!
    Lido recently opened in Omni shopping centre in Santry.
    I have been a regular shopper in Aldi but in the last few years I have noticed a deterioration in the perceived standard of upkeep of Aldi shops compared to Lidl.
    Aldi in Santry is poorly kept and can be dirty especially the floor area and the presentation of food especially meat products is atrocious.
    Walking around the new Lidl in Omni, it is clean bright and the presentation of meat products is enticing.
    This Lidl is going head to head with an old and rather tired Tesco on the same campus so the few products that I am loyal to and unavailable in the discounters can be picked up in Tesco while the bulk of the grocery spend takes place in Lidl.
    Whence forth Aldi? I presume it will still have its hardcore devoted shoppers but I believe Aldi will lose out to Lidl on this location at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I actually think Tesco is the store being hammered, not Aldi/Lidl and not SuperValu, M&S and Waitrose.

Both in the UK and Ireland Aldi & Lidl have grabbed a huge chunk of the market and they're unlikely to lose ground. They're actually adapting to move more towards the middle.

A lot of people are using those stores for their basics and staples and buying branded items and luxury goods in other stores.

Tesco and Dunnes are firmly in the middle. They're not high end, they're often not in convenient locations and when they sell cheap stuff, it's often genuinely cheap stuff on every sense.

I think as the market becomes wealthier again, it'll benefit smaller stores and the high end supermarkets like certain SuperValu outlets (many of them sit in that niche) and M&S.

The recession broke the habit of mindlessly shopping in a huge supermarket. That's not likely to switch back.

Also, giant supermarkets are sort of 70s - 80s concepts. Ireland and Britain turned seriously foodie in the 00s. That's not really something that the big old brands addressed adequately.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Lads and lassies, I am not a fan of shoping in either lidl or aldi, super value tesco and dunnes is where I do my weekly shop.

But what ever you decide on electrical sales, I would NEVER use them if my life depended on it

I know of a lidl customer who does us lidl, she purchased a tv in recent weeks, about 10 days she claims. Tv let het down through no fault of her own 2 days before Christmas. She took it back to lidl with receipt and packaging. Instead of the store been anyway helpfull the manager argued with her saying there was nothing hey could do and that she must ring customer care. She rang the customer care while in the shop using her mobile phone., basically they say she must return the tv set to there engineer in the new year, jan 5th. And she would have no tv for Christmas (young family in all that)

If this happened in tesco, dunnes or Argos ect, she would have been offered a emplacement tv there and then on the spot or if not in stock she would have received a refund so that she may buy a tv in another store, she was perfectly entitled to this within the first 28days of her consumer rights

What are your views on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Well, what happened the tv? Apart from being vague?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

spongbob wrote: »
    Lads and lassies, I am not a fan of shoping in either lidl or aldi, super value tesco and dunnes is where I do my weekly shop.

But what ever you decide on electrical sales, I would NEVER use them if my life depended on it

I know of a lidl customer who does us lidl, she purchased a tv in recent weeks, about 10 days she claims. Tv let het down through no fault of her own 2 days before Christmas. She took it back to lidl with receipt and packaging. Instead of the store been anyway helpfull the manager argued with her saying there was nothing hey could do and that she must ring customer care. She rang the customer care while in the shop using her mobile phone., basically they say she must return the tv set to there engineer in the new year, jan 5th. And she would have no tv for Christmas (young family in all that)

If this happened in tesco, dunnes or Argos ect, she would have been offered a emplacement tv there and then on the spot or if not in stock she would have received a refund so that she may buy a tv in another store, she was perfectly entitled to this within the first 28days of her consumer rights

There is no such thing as consumer rights within the first 28 days. You are probably mixing it up with stores' own return policies.

Lidl are dealing with the problem, albeit not until January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Like them or not Aldi and Lidl are here to stay.

They have kept the consumer happy with daily eassentials like meat , bread, fruit, vegetables, yoghurts, cheeses and of course wines etc. at very competitive prices during the recession.

The big question, is Tesco going to remain as we know it.?

Superquinn sold out to Supervalu recently.

Without doubt Aldi & Lidl have been hurting the Traditional Supermarkets.

Consumers will vote with their feet, if AldI & Lidl are cheaper they will continue to shop there.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

Well, what happened the tv? Apart from being vague?

Tv is staying on standby, not responding to remote or manual buttons on the set.. Batteries are not the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Big fan of Aldi. The majority of their products are great and much cheaper than the usual supermarket chains.

They will be here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

There hasn't been a tv for offer on Lidl in the last month, let alone 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭worded

Look at how thick the rashers are at Lidl. Someone was saying the super value ones have gone paper thin.

I dont agree - I think the vouchers are great with Tesco and Dunnes and really help with the shopping! I wish Aldi and Lidl did them and its the main reason I stick with Tesco.

I get my fruit and veg in Lidl though :cool:

worded wrote: »
    Look at how thick the rashers are at Lidl. Someone was saying the super value ones have gone paper thin.
    i got some the other day in supervalu you could read the paper through them brutal. i get the connelly rashers in tescos lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tv is staying on standby, not responding to remote or manual buttons on the set.. Batteries are not the issue.

LIDL have a 30 day no quibble return policy, (ALDI are 60 day), so you friend may have been outside the 30 day policy, and then they always consider it a warranty issue, Argos are the same. Tesco/Dunnes do not have such a 30 day no quibble policy, so (for the first 30 days) you most always better with LIDL / ALDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think lidl and aldi were extremly generous with their returns policy when they opened first but didn't realise that Ireland has a high return rate.

Then they brought in the 30 day return and after that deal with their very helpful return desk. Still a brilliant service as they usually replace the item.

Anywhere I have worked, out of all the countries in the UK(British isles ;), Ireland had the highest rate of faulty returns. As high as 8% of sales where the next highest Scotland was around 6%.

I'm sure the discounters have copped on to this to and have brought in a swap out and refurbished service.

It's still a great service.

If the discounters brought in self scan tills I might shop there, but I can't hack the long queues with only one till open.

I buy coffee and bean burgers in aldi, it's a lovely clean shop but there's always 3 trolleys ahead of me at the till.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Anywhere I have worked, out of all the countries in the UK, Ireland had the highest rate of faulty returns. As high as 8% of sales where the next highest Scotland was around 6%.

How's the new year (1921) treating you?

(we're not a country "in the UK" and haven't been for quite a long time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jossky

I don't think they r the cheapest. Bit I also don't think they will be shut shop when the recession is over. I think they used to be very cheap at the beginning of recession and before the recession
    I woneed do they do calculations to see consumer spendability at certain times and adjust there prices to suit. I like them tho. Your probably right to shop around for the best value. That's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think lidl and aldi were extremly generous with their returns policy when they opened first but didn't realise that Ireland has a high return rate.

Then they brought in the 30 day return and after that deal with their very helpful return desk. Still a brilliant service as they usually replace the item.

Anywhere I have worked, out of all the countries in the UK, Ireland had the highest rate of faulty returns. As high as 8% of sales where the next highest Scotland was around 6%.

I'm sure the discounters have copped on to this to and have brought in a swap out and refurbished service.

It's still a great service.

If the discounters brought in self scan tills I might shop there, but I can't hack the long queues with only one till open.

I buy coffee and bean burgers in aldi, it's a lovely clean shop but there's always 3 trolleys ahead of me at the till.

That just says we demand higher levels of customer service. The average returns rate in the US is 8.3% and some retailers as high as 22%.

I think the British are less likely to "cause a fuss" and on the continent retailers often won't accommodate returns at all unless the goods are defective. The Spanish nearly treat you like a fraudster if you bring back faulty goods. You have to start producing photo ID and filling in police forms and stuff.

I've noticed the England has amongst the highest returns of any region of France... (Just to follow your geopolitical logic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

worded wrote: »

surely rashers are bought by weight and not quantity?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beano wrote: »
    surely rashers are bought by weight and not quantity?

In butchers yes. In fridges they're usually sold by quantity in the case of branded rashers at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Someone's codding ya.

Advertisement