Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday

Options
  • 05-09-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd?event_id=3055424&category=0
    THANKS to the exploits of Sole Power and Slade Power, trainer Eddie Lynam has enjoyed a huge season with the unrelated sprinters sharing four Group 1s evenly between them.

Sole Power bids to complete a clean sweep of top-level sprints in Britain this year for Lynam in Saturday's Betfred Sprint Cup, the seven-year-old victorious in the King's Stand Stakes and Nunthorpe Stakes this season.

However, all of the seven-year-old's ten wins have been achieved over five furlongs and he goes into Saturday's race with a record of zero wins from seven runs over six furlongs.

His best effort over the trip came at Sha Tin last December when he was beaten five lengths into second by Lord Kanaloa in the Hong Kong Sprint.

Hughes said: "I am not the least bit worried about going up to six furlongs. Over the extra furlong he should find his job easier, and the same should be true for me as well.

"He did not look to be running out of petrol at either Ascot or York, the drying ground is in his favour and Haydock's straight course is one of the easiest and flattest you could find."

The going at Haydock dried out on Friday, and clerk of the course Kirkland Tellwright is expecting the fresh ground being used on Saturday to be quicker still.

He said: "There is a chance of a light shower after racing today [Friday] but it is not certain and if it does arrive it will be light.

"Looking to tomorrow when we switch to the stands' side track, the ground is likely to be good to firm."
    The form says no, but the heart and Richard Hughes say yes. What do folks here think? Personally, I'll be staying away. At 3/1 he's just that bit too skinny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭bellybuster12

I'm on gordon lord byron at 16/1, backed him before his last run anti post. I'm a huge fan and delighted to be on at a price. Looking at the race i think you can make a case for pretty much every horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

One I really fancy tomorrow is Joys Of Spring in the 4:40 at Ascot. I actually put this one into my tracker after watching it last time out and seeing a young apprentice being pulled all over the track by it. My very words were that if this horse got a better jockey who would be able to keep a firm hold and settle it better, then this would win. Well, looks like I've got the best pilot going on it, Ryan Moore takes the reins tomorrow. I know it has class and the straight mile should suit it better rather than a tight track which might let the horse run out wide like it did last time. The major worry in this race though will be Fray, which was only narrowly beaten by Water Hole on its last run, a horse that was narrowly beaten in a group 3 and is now rated 110. Have done Joys Of Spring to win at 7/1 (Corals) and Fray at 3/1 (Powers) to cover my stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Very troubled by sole power, only time ive backed against him is over 6f but the horse has looked different class this year. 3-1, as francie said, is just a bit too skinny. Gordon Lord Byron is the most proven horse in the field but the ground isnt ideal and looks worse value at 5-1. Might end up on Cougar Mountain without the Power. Tricky tricky race

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Gregk961 wrote: »
    Very troubled by sole power, only time ive backed against him is over 6f but the horse has looked different class this year. 3-1, as francie said, is just a bit too skinny. Gordon Lord Byron is the most proven horse in the field but the ground isnt ideal and looks worse value at 5-1. Might end up on Cougar Mountain without the Power. Tricky tricky race

Or you could always back an English horse! ;)

Gordon Lord Byron is the most proven horse in the field but the ground isnt ideal and looks worse value at 5-1. Might end up on Cougar Mountain without the Power. Tricky tricky race
    Was only beaten by 3/4 of a length 2 years ago in this race over firm ground.

I would not be going anywhere near Cougar Mountain, it's done alright in the other sprints this year, but these type of race demand experience and this horse only has 3 races under its belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Or you could always back an English horse! ;)

Didnt realise my irish bias! Baccarat would be my pick of the brits!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Yeah, he lacked a bit of early pace last time over 5f but was doing his best work at the finish, he ran better over 6f the time before and won't mind the ground and would have gone close the last day if there was another furlong in the race. At the price he's worth a shot, he'll probably place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I've been having a bit of an argument with a gentleman who thinks that Sole Power is the outstanding sprinter in the last 15 years. Sole Power probably has the best turn of foot of any horse over 5 furlongs in the last couple of years but when you're beating 114 rated horses you're entitled to win well.

Hot Streak is too big at 20/1 for an each way price. Chancery at 14/1 in the Old Borough Cup another that's worth a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

FWIW in a piece in Friday's Irish Indo, Eddie Lynam is quoted as saying about Sole Power "I'm not saying he'll definitely win at Haydock but he won't be beaten!"

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JAORTA

its pouring rain in Haydock....hold all bets on sole power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

It isn't just down the road in Wallasey. Bit of drizzle thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 JAORTA

thats good news Billy....so there should be no change to the going.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

I'm doing a rain dance anyway, love Sole Power but cant back him over 6, have had a decent each way bet on Gordon Lord Byron at 6/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'd take Extortionaist and Tropics each way in the Sprint Cup personally.

Is there much pace in the field? Who'll take them along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Two against the field today in the Sprint Cup, Baccarat e/w 14/1 (Hills) and Professor e/w 40/1 (Hills).

Expect one to at least place and cover my outlay.

I am told connections expect a great run from Professor and his odds of 40/1 are very unlikely to be available at 3.45 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

I am told connections expect a great run from Professor and his odds of 40/1 are very unlikely to be available at 3.45 today.

That's mad Ted.

What odds are likely to be available ?

tomaussie wrote: »
    That's mad Ted.

What odds are likely to be available ?

Expect it to go off around 20/1.

You heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Gordon Lord Byron for me. Sole Power is a ridiculous price. He's not a 6 furlong horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Hot Streak at 38.9 for me, although he might struggle to get the 6f in this company.

• Advertisement

I hope you remembered to do the Scoop 6. It is about £6 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

4.10 Home of The Brave.

Surely Manning is not going for the one ride unless it's supposed to win.

Expect it to go off around 20/1.

You heard it here first.

It would take a lot to halve the price of a horse in a gr.1. Will probably go off 33/1 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

It would take a lot to halve the price of a horse in a gr.1. Will probably go off 33/1 or so

No. No. No.

Inside information.

You heard it up there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

Surprised they aren't keeping sole power for 5f at curragh tomorrow week. On that basis thinking they must be confident today so will take my chances on him over the 6f.

Just because sole was doing his best work late last time out doesnt make him a 6f chance. I fear he will be out of the places.

I am told Professor will make the frame and Bacarrat too.

Just because sole was doing his best work late last time out doesnt make him a 6f chance. I fear he will be out of the places.
    I am told Professor will make the frame and Bacarrat too.
    Sounds like an opportunity to place lay the other 15 in the field.

Jim Goldie send Hawkeyethenoo over 400 miles to Ascot as his sole representative. Think this one looks quite nicely handicapped and fancy it e/w for a bit of interest at 22/1/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

I've been having a bit of an argument with a gentleman who thinks that Sole Power is the outstanding sprinter in the last 15 years. Sole Power probably has the best turn of foot of any horse over 5 furlongs in the last couple of years but when you're beating 114 rated horses you're entitled to win well.

Better than Dayjur?? :eek:

• Advertisement

Heavy Metal a big price at 12/1 in this after one bad run last time. Not had a bet though

Advertisement