Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smack my bishop (into shape!) - The training log

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Yeah, it's not the most dynamic of openings, and certainly not the most commonly played at the top level. Still, if Bronstein or Larsen can play it, it'll do me, for the time being at least.

To be honest, before this I used to just wing it against whatever came up, so this is definitely an improvement.

What line do you play yourself, sinbad68?

Resultswise, everything went as expected today.

Round 1: Win as White against a 1210
    Round 2: Loss as Black against a 1880

Playing a 1450 as White tomorrow, should win that and then hopefully try to get something out of the 4th game to break the cycle.

Lucky to win the third game. Made a bags of the opening, going two pawns down for next to no compensation, other than having my opponent's king still in the centre. He didn't manage to castle, I threw all my pieces at him and luckily I was able to take advantage of some tactical possibilities.

I shouldn't be making things this hard for myself against weaker opposition.

Round 4: Draw with the black pieces against a 1835
    Round 5: Draw with the white pieces against a 1676

Gained a whopping 2.6 rating points! In a way, I'm happy enough with my performance, I felt tired throughout the tournament but still managed to play ok, and fight my way back into games where I was doing badly. So while I didn't increase my rating much, I managed to avoid losing a lot of points.

I know I keep saying this, but I really need to turn up at these tournaments better rested!

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Lucena wrote: »
    What line do you play yourself, sinbad68?
    You don't really expect me to reveal my secret weapons in public ? :p
    Lucena wrote: »
    Round 4: Draw with the black pieces against a 1835
    Round 5: Draw with the white pieces against a 1676

Gained a whopping 2.6 rating points! In a way, I'm happy enough with my performance, I felt tired throughout the tournament but still managed to play ok, and fight my way back into games where I was doing badly. So while I didn't increase my rating much, I managed to avoid losing a lot of points.

I know I keep saying this, but I really need to turn up at these tournaments better rested!

Your posts would be more interesting if they contained interesting incidences or games you played, otherwise just posting I went up 3 points in this round and lost 5 in that round doesn't do anything for anyone here, why should people be interested in a round by round rating change in an anonymous poster living overseas ? .

• Advertisement

Kind of doing it for myself, mostly. I will stick up some of the games during the week, probably starting with my tactical masterpiece from round 3.

Betcha can't wait. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Yes, I second that complaint give us the notation or at least a picture. Otherwise all people have to read are my hideous games! ;)

Ok, here's my third round victory from last weekend. I don't know whether to be ashamed of the opening or proud of not missing an opportunity to come back into the game.

https://www.chess.com/blog/Binouzenours/1480

Yeah! Just finished the 2nd Yusupov book, having failed none of the chapters. I am a chess god!:D

My Fide rating has also risen by almost 30 points in the last 3 months, so up to 1710, a mere 21 points from my all time best. Hopefully it's onwards and upwards.

To celebrate finishing the 2nd Yusupov book, I'd love to buy ye all a pint, but unfortunately this is the internet, so I can't, so you'll just have to make do with this lovely tune:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Great game, Lucena. I think black must've started resting on his laurels a little too early given the big advantage.

• Advertisement

Well, another season over and I'm now basking in the glory of my 1698 rating. Not an iota of improvement in my rating over the last two years. :o

I have a confession to make though, and this might go some way to explaining my lack of progress. I AM CRAP AT OPENINGS!

I've been playing 1. e4 for the last 15 years (gulp!), and here's the list of openings where I more or less know what I'm going:

Sicilian
    French
    Caro Kann (ish)

That's it, three openings

Here's the list of openings where I don't really know what I'm doing, otherwise known as the 'ah, sure I'll wing it!" list:

1...e5
    Petroff
    Scandinavian
    Philidor
    Alekhine
    Pirc
    Modern
    Latvian Gambit
    Elephant Gambit
    1...b6
    1...Nc6

That's a long list. I've never looked through my database of my own games to see what my stats are, but I know that when most of these openings appear, my heart sinks, especially against the Scando and the Alekhine.

But fear not, help is at hand:

http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/products/1/209/playing_1e4_-_caro-kann_1e5_and_minor_lines_by_john_shaw/

Picked up this beaut a couple of weeks back, which coincidentally covers most of my wing-it openings and am working on my repertoire using the following method. I play a Lichess tournament once a week at 10min/game, which gives me 5 whites. When an opening is played, I look up what I should have played and add it to the database.

The main openings covered by the book are the Caro, and against 1...e5, the Scotch. Sinbad'll be happy, I'm playing a proper opening! Which also appears to have the benefit of being less well-known, judging by some of the dodgy responses from my opponents.

So there you have it, success guaranteed this season! :cool:

Advertisement