Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smack my bishop (into shape!) - The training log

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

My deserved win against IJ III. (The superfluous h3 game)

http://www.chess.com/blog/Binouzenours/improving-junior-iii---lucenas-deserved-revenge

I think I was a little lucky that she slipped up in the opening, as other than that she had quite a good tournament, finishing above me and gaining 50 rating points in the process.

She also finished above me in a rapidplay event last weekend, so definitely another unrated junior!

My round 5 win against the 2000 guy (not a junior!)

Unfortunately I've mucked up the notation after move 43 so I can't show the moves after that. :mad:
    Which is a pity as I remember playing the endgame really well. I was in time trouble though, which generally isn't conducive to writing down the moves correctly.

http://www.chess.com/blog/Binouzenours/giant-over-2000-killing

Well, I was going to post up my disastrous sixth-round draw against a 1905, throwing away a win in an overwhelmingly winning position. But apparently I'm rubbish at noting my moves, as I can't figure out the moves beyond move 18 or so.

New objective for my next tournament: Write legibly, don't skip moves.

I'm so annoyed at myself, I played a winning bishop sac on h7, but didn't follow up correctly, and now I can't study it. ***ANGER***

7th and last round defeat in the tournament.

http://www.chess.com/blog/Binouzenours/making-it-up-in-the-opening---and-paying-the-price

Didn't have anything prepared against the Scandinavian, so tried to go out of book with some half-remembered opening system recommended by Andrew Martin (I think). Had I known the opening better, there was less chance of me making the silly b4 push, but even without knowing the opening, it's an obvious tactical error.

So overall in the tournament I had a 1783 performance, gained 11 rating points, and I felt that overall my play is improving. I'm definitely looking a more possibilities, thanks to Yusupov I'd imagine. I'm still being let down horribly by tactics, so I need to work on that area. I also need to start a tournament refreshed, it might help avoid my early defeats. Considering that I also came up against three improving juniors who were underrated and that I gained points from the tournament is also quite positive.

Fide rating March 2015: 1725 (+14)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Lucena wrote: »
    Great game, I liked that you both sacrificed a bishop to open the king up. Regarding the end-game. All black needed to play on move 41 was Ke7 or Kd7, right? Then when you pushed Kd4 to try to get into his camp he would play Kd6 with the opposition. I suppose it's not an intuitive move which is maybe why he missed it but even I can tell d4 is a howler - although it's easy saying that here with no clock having just had some coffee. I think you showed good composure to play 42. c4 as immediately snatching the pawn gives him the opposition to push your king back and the outcome is not as clear.

I often note when an opponent plays a superfluous move in the opening (or worry when I do myself) but knowing how to take the initiative and punish it is another story! Why did you play 12....Qa5? My reasoning tells me it's dangerous to get the queen out so far with all the pieces on the board, and she is just pointing at c3 which is defended. I know it all came together but what was the rationale at the time?

Bit slow replying, I've had a mad two weeks (arbiting, meetings, preparing grant applications, the non-playing side of chess). So back to the little wooden things.

Why 12...Qa5. ?

I can't remember what was going through my head when I played it, but this is probably what I was thinking:

Qa5 clears the d-file, allowing one of the rooks to come to d8, possibly gaining a tempo if the white queen is still on d1. a5 isn't a bad square for the queen, as it'll be difficult to attact, it can always swing over to the kingside quickly if needed, and white will need to be alert to a possible bishop sacrifice on c3, although for the moment it's not a possibility. I also played it because it's a 'typical' move in the Accelerated Dragon, one of those moves you play more or less automatically, even though that's not necessarily a good way to play.

So basically development and vague threats!

After a two-week break from chess, I'm going to try to get back to Yusupov today. I can't even remember what the chapter I'm currently studying is about!!!

Well, managed to finish Chapter 21: Pawn Combinations and do half of the problems, which I was happy with. My brain is definitely a bit rusty, even after a mere two-week break.

I was quite pleased with myself on the problems, as in one of them, as well as getting it right, I also found a better continuation than that played by the grandmaster in the game. In another problem, only one solution was given as correct, but I managed to find a different one which wasn't given by Yusupov (computer checked of course). Will stick them up tomorrow, maybe!

After a difficult week for me outside of chess, on Saturday I managed to play a nice tight game against a similarly rated player to myself. He made a small error in the opening, leaving himself with a weak pawn. I managed to pile up on it, avoid giving my opponent counterplay, liquidate the pawn and go into the endgame with a linked passed pawn. There was still knight and bishop on the board for both sides, but my opponent compliantly swapped knights. Maybe he had no choice, I haven't looked at the game properly yet. Won in the endgame. I have to say, it's my favourite type of game: a small advantage nursed all the way through the middlegame and into the endgame. Will post when I get time.

Finished Chapter 22 (The Wrong Bishop) today, so making headway. Only two more chapters to go! Then I'll go over the chapters where I failed the final test and then hit the Final Test!

• Advertisement

Did chapter 23 today (forget the exact title, it's about that smothered mate with knight and queen) and most of the problems. The end is getting nearer. Seemed nearly impossible when I started out. I'm going to try and finish by the end of April, meaning:

- Finish the last chapter
    - Repeat all the problems in the chapters I failed
    - Save all the different endgame positions in a database, as I feel the endgames will be quickly forgotten if I don't have a handy way of going over them every now and again.
    - Then the final test, the final boss! Victory will be mine!

Will you get straight onto boost your chess 1? Maybe you should reward yourself with a 'best games' collection of some grandmaster?

@Valmont

What I'll probably do is read one of the books from my backlog, probably 'How to be lucky in chess' which I picked up for a fiver a couple of years back. Having flicked through it, it seems like an interesting book, and it seems to be focused on how to play in bad positions, making things difficult for the opponent, looking for counterplay.

It also has lots of positions from amateur games, with a discussion of typical psychological errors. Should be a nice break from Yusupov!

Aaaarrrgghhhh! Bloody real life getting in the way of chess again!

In the last week, I've made very little progress on the final Yusupov chapter (Gambits), having just done the examples but none of the problems so far. I've a feeling this will be one of the chapters I fail badly on, as the theme of how to play, and play against gambits, is too broad to teach in one chapter. We'll see.

I will finish the book correctly by the end of April, meaning I'll go back on the problems from the chapters I failed, make a Chessbase file of all the endgame positions for easier future study, and then hit the final test.

I have a 7-round tournament coming up at the end of May, so I'm going to try and get into shape for that, in every sense of the word. My trainer feels that physical fitness plays a huge part in improving tournament performance (stamina), so I'm going to get my bike out of the shed and hit the road, especially now that the evenings are a lot longer. Maybe some running as well. Another thing I need to sort out is the time I waste on the internet and not getting enough sleep. I really need to be getting my eight hours a night. Anyone who's read this log will know I've been turning up to tournaments tired, I really need to stop that. :rolleyes:

I've finally cracked Yusupov open again after a busy spell. Working with some king and pawn end game puzzles from another book really helped. I've also found that playing the end-games where there is a theoretical draw or win against Shredder set to 2600 level really hammers home the idea of 'the opposition'.

When you say trainer, do you have a real-life coach who gives you homework etc? Does it make a difference? I've got a new job and thought maybe it might be worthwhile to get some lessons.

@Valmont

Sorry about being slow to answer, just back from holidays in an internet desert.

Yes, I work with a real-life trainer, I guy I took lessons with a few years back in real life, and now we work through Skype. We mostly work on my games, looking at the different tactical and positional motifs, as well as working on openings and a small amount of endgame work. To be honest, I'm not sure if it makes a difference, my rating hasn't budged in the 2 years I've been working with him. I feel I'm a stronger player, but until my rating improves, it's only a feeling.

Regarding my work on Yusupov, I'm going over the chapters I failed first time around. Getting hammered on the problems in Chapter 6 (again!), having got the first three I've done so far completely wrong. :( I'll just have to accept that I'm rubbish at positional themes and work on that, or that Yusupov over-estimated the level for the positional themes in the book.

I've created Chessbase files for two of the four endgame chapters, and I now feel I've got a good handle of simple pawn endgames and the opposition. Even just entering the positions and solutions into the computer was very beneficial.

Not looking likely I'll finish the book by the end of the month (unless I start pulling all-nighters! :cool:)

Well, it's been a busy month away from chess, hence the lack of an update. Still managed to do some chess though!

I managed to pull back an early deficit on Chapter 6 by getting the last nine problems in a row correct. Maybe I'm not too bad at positional themes after all!

Chapter 8: Centralizing the Pieces, I managed to pass this time, with an ok 14/27, as opposed to the original 4/27. Based on these two chapters, I think I'm getting better at positional play. Positions that had me scratching my head the last time, this time I knew what to look for, what was important in the position. I don't think it was a case of remembering them from six months ago.

Chapter 10: The Opposition, 18 out of 26. I feel I have a fairly good grasp of this, but I'm worried that when I do eventually get to an K v K + P endgame, my time trouble will negate any knowledge of endgame opposition. So I've now passed all the chapters I failed the first time round. YES!!!

I've also put all the endgame problems into a chessbase file, so I can have a quick look through them every few months or so.

All that's left now is the Final Boss, or final test as Yusupov calls it. 24 problems to work through. Will our hero prove his worth? Or will he go down in flames? Tune in next week to find out!

Chapter 10: The Opposition, 18 out of 26. I feel I have a fairly good grasp of this, but I'm worried that when I do eventually get to an K v K + P endgame, my time trouble will negate any knowledge of endgame opposition.
    I'm having that problem. I've been making a concerted effort to play the opening and middlegame faster and to try to push my games into the endgame as soon as possible so I can have the opportunity to use some of my Yusupov endgame knowledge in practice.

Good luck with the final test!

Well, I finished Yusupov with flying colours a couple of weeks back, got something like 37 out of 45, and haven't updated here 'cos I've been on the lock celebrating! No, only joking, although I did feel elated when I finished. Great feeling, knowing that stuff you studied up to six months ago actually stuck.

Some of the problems were very beautiful, and when you work hard on the problem and suddenly you find the solution, not only are you happy to find the answer, but there's a feeling of "wow" at getting a glimpse at the beauty and complexity of the game.

I've been working on Martin Weteschnik's 'Understanding Chess Tactics' for the last two weeks. The idea of the book is that instead of just making the reader solve a heap of problems and hoping something sticks, the author lifts the bonnet on the different tactical motifs, showing how and why they arise, how to recognise potential tactics and how to create them. It's ok so far, but glancing through the entire book, it seems the author mostly shows the nuts and bolts of each type of tactic, and then they all come together in the final chapter called 'Status Examination' where more complex positions are dissected using the different tactical tools from earlier chapters. I'll let you all know if I become a tactical genius at the end!

I've also been hitting Chesstempo big time, taking my time on each problem. I've managed to get my rating up to around 1850, stabilising occasionally at 1870 before coming back down. It's going to take a lot of work to get past 1870 I feel, it's not just spotting tactics, but sometimes it's having to analyse different positions at the end of each tactical sequence and comparing them to see which is better, which isn't always easy.

• Advertisement

*** THE LONG OVERDUE UPDATE ***

Took a long break over the summer, went on a three-week holiday with no chess books, decided I'd just do 30 minutes of Chesstempo every day to keep me sharp. The lack of internet in my holiday destination put paid to those plans!

So start of September, exactly one year after starting this training log, how much progress did I make, having eaten and digested one out of nine of the Yusupov books?

Sept 2014 rating: 1723
    Sept 2015 rating: 1718

Yeah! Five points down! Hard work pays off!

In September, I played in two weekend tournaments (5 rounds each)

First tournament results:

1. Loss against a 1957
    2. Undeserved win against a 1412
    3. Win against a 1010
    4. Loss against a 1997
    5. 5-move win against a 1391

Very unsatisfactory tournament for lots of reasons. Firstly not a single opponent within 200 points of me either way, making for unsatisfying games. Secondly, tactically I was as rusty as hell (summer break didn't help). And lastly lost 2 points, which I guess is ok.

For the second tournament two weeks later, I really hit the tactics, both Chesstempo and solving positions by putting them on the board. I think it paid dividends as I didn't commit any tactical howlers over the five games, or at least none that I noticed anyway!

Second tournament results:

1. Loss against an 1853 (45 moves)
    2. Draw (threw away the win about fifty times in this game!) against a 1605 (76 moves)
    3. Draw against an 1875. Was happy about this result as I was a bit demoralised after round 2. (82 moves)
    4. Loss against a 1761 (54 moves)
    5. Draw against a 1736. (78 moves) I got a lot of satisfaction from this result, as during the tournament I was getting recognised as the guy whose games went on forever, and in this instance my game was the last to finish out of the three Opens (A, B and C)! Always nice having lots of people looking!

Lost about 7 or 8 points (hasn't been rated yet) but not too bothered, friendly tournament, chatted to lots of different people and enjoyed myself.

Played two games in October:

Local championship: Lost to 1850 guy with black.
    Coupe de France (four-player team match): Lost to 1660

So looking at losing another 20 points. :(

Edit:

Just calculated my results since the start of the season, I've scored 3.5 out of 11 (not counting that 1010 player) against 1739 average opponents, with a 1593 performance. Not great, but certainly not disastrous. I'd imagined my perforance would be in the mid 1400s!

So regarding study, where am I up to?

Currently working on 2nd last chapter of 'Understanding Chess Tactics'. It's ok, but not as satisfying as Yusupov. It's supposed to explain the workings of tactics as opposed to just presenting a heap of problems. I'll see how I feel when I've finished.

Going to order the next Yusupov books from Quality Chess tonight, I feel the last few months I have wandered from the righteous path of Yusupovian salvation!

Will also stick up a few of the games, lightly annotated. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to seeing my five-move victory!

Good to have you back, Lucena. I've been in two tournaments myself recently but the games weren't much to write home about!

Well, I'm after getting stuck into the 2nd Yusupov book, two chapters down, was going to start the 3rd but after a player in the local individual championship failed to win a knight and bishop v king ending last weekend, I was chatting with a club mate and said I'd try to learn it over the week and I'd try to win any position with this configuration of pieces in under five minutes. I said this knowing there's a chapter on this subject in the Yusupov book, thinking to myself "I'll learn that handy enough".

MY HEAD IS MELTING!!!!

Why Yusupov thinks this is under 1500 material is beyond me. I'm going to try and stick with it though, but by heck is it tough going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Well, I'm after getting stuck into the 2nd Yusupov book, two chapters down, was going to start the 3rd but after a player in the local individual championship failed to win a knight and bishop v king ending last weekend, I was chatting with a club mate and said I'd try to learn it over the week and I'd try to win any position with this configuration of pieces in under five minutes. I said this knowing there's a chapter on this subject in the Yusupov book, thinking to myself "I'll learn that handy enough".

MY HEAD IS MELTING!!!!

Why Yusupov thinks this is under 1500 material is beyond me. I'm going to try and stick with it though, but by heck is it tough going!
    If it's wrecking your head, try just learning the sequence from when the king is trapped in the wrong corner. There's only really one tricky bit, where it seems you are letting him escape for a moment.

mikhail wrote: »
    If it's wrecking your head, try just learning the sequence from when the king is trapped in the wrong corner. There's only really one tricky bit, where it seems you are letting him escape for a moment.

I am trying! :(

Although as a wise man once said "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

So I'm going to try to not just try. :D

Interestingly enough the end of chapter problems are a good mix, with the king needing to be cornered on different parts of the board, sometimes with in a black squared corner, sometimes a white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 must have a jest

I am trying! :(

Although as a wise man once said "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

So I'm going to try to not just try. :D

Interestingly enough the end of chapter problems are a good mix, with the king needing to be cornered on different parts of the board, sometimes with in a black squared corner, sometimes a white one.

If this ending is melting your brain more than other study material, it means you've stumbled on a weakness in your calculation, so it should be more beneficial to work on than deconstructing tactics.

I watched a few youtube videos on this last year and I tried to learn it. Needless to say I gave up after realising how bloody difficult it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I used to know the B&N ending, but to be honest I've been playing chess on/off for over 30 years now and have never had to play that ending! My personal opinion would be to forget about it and focus on things like rook endings, from both attack and defence. They'll be far more common and are surprisingly complex but can pay back very quickly.

Advertisement