Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter forced to believe in God

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

bajer101 wrote: »
    I'm still reluctant to describe her as an Atheist. But yes, I did have a conversation with her about making her Communion after this situation arose. (Again, I find myself having to repeat myself). I explained what making your Communion meant (transubstantiation and all that), and she said that it was was stupid.

Yeah well, save your sympathy - she'll be fine. We'll celebrate in our own way and she has a wonderfully supportive family who will give her a big day out.

It could be worse. She could be in a North Korean school where 100% of the children celebrate ridiculous holidays in honour of their leader. Would you feel sorry for a child who decided not to take part? Don't bother replying. I've become used to people asking me questions in this thread, but when I reply and counter, there is no answer.

With the greatest of respects and out of sheer curiosity, what will you celebrate??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

bajer101 wrote: »
    It could be worse. She could be in a North Korean school where 100% of the children celebrate ridiculous holidays in honour of their leader. Would you feel sorry for a child who decided not to take part?

Ironic you've picked that. Religion wise, North Korea would be an atheists wet dream.

EunanMac wrote: »
    Ironic you've picked that. Religion wise, North Korea would be an atheists wet dream.

Exactly North Korea is an athiest state.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I find it absolutely shocking that the OP has not spoken to either of the adults involved her.

Mod:I'm finding it absolutely bewildering the amount of posters who seem to miss the plethora of posts that show quite clearly the OP has spoken to the adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

lukesmom wrote: »

I doubt you'll find many here who want to live in a country that enforces atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

With the greatest of respects and out of sheer curiosity, what will you celebrate??

Saturday? Does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I thought you'd gone?

Er, no it wouldn't. There's plenty of threads here on the subject. Kim Jong is basically a Jesus Type figure. (Though obviously not a nice or humane as Jesus was.)

eviltwin wrote: »
    I doubt you'll find many here who want to live in a country that enforces atheism.

Just as long as they do a North Korea when it comes to religion and schools

vibe666 wrote: »
    I thought you'd gone?

I'm perfectly entitled to post here! :)

• Advertisement

And there you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Sooo after over 5 days, 475 posts has the OP yet communicated with the school? called in? Phone call? No? Just a letter that may not be answered for some time.
    So the daughter is having difficulty settling into the school. Possible issues about what she is being taught. Definite confusion among faculty about her religion. Been called to the principals office. Been bullied by students. Well we assume all this as the OP has just taken his daughters word as golden avoiding the possibility much of this is an exaggeration due to her not settling into a new school.
    I find it absolutely shocking that the OP has not spoken to either of the adults involved her. This forum has seemed to taken on a direction of attacking the Catholic schooling system without the full facts and probably the full truth. but maybe that was the goal in the first place.

You're right - it is shocking.

I'm perfectly entitled to post here! :)

YOU said you were leaving.

DPRK is not a secular state!

Turtwig wrote: »
    Er, no it wouldn't. There's plenty of threads here on the subject. Kim Jong is basically a Jesus Type figure. (Though obviously not a nice or humane as Jesus was.)

That's a new spin I've not heard, what's next, pol pot was actually a St. Francis of Assisi type figure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

And there you have it.

Who said that? The OP didn't demand the entire class opt out of religious instruction, just his child. What is wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Reminds to stick to after hours and politics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Well, if I was a regular at an Indian takeaway, but then decided to go to Dominos because it's nearer, it would be unreasonable of me to complain to the staff in Dominos when I can't get poppadoms and an onion bhaji.

That is a sh1t analogy that would only be applicable if access to Indian food was a constitutionally protected right that all restaurants were obligated to supply on demand, you know, similar to how school, irrespective of their ethos are obligated to not indoctrinate a child against their, or their parents wishes.

MrP

That's a new spin I've not heard, what's next, pol pot was actually a St. Francis of Assisi type figure ?

You really should keep up with current events, like his father before him he is (officially at least) idolized as a demi-god.

No, it'd be nice if you understand the state structures of North Korea before making such asinine presumptions. North Koreans are forced in many parts to worship their leader. It's also heavily propogandised that they're supposed to love him. Effectively, in North Korea, the religion is to idolise the state and its leader. There's forced conformity the very antithesis of secularism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's interesting, but it's no surprise to see some posters who are decrying people ganging up on an individual for having a dissenting opinion, those same posters then ganging up on one poster with a dissenting opinion!

Well, if lukesmum didn't want to be "ganged up" on, then she shouldn't have posted something as blindingly stupid as effectively denouncing a seven year old child for not believing in god, and implicitly alleging that she was brought up wrong.

Any time I say something stupid, and I do break out in symptoms of foot in mouth disease quite often, I expect (after I realise what I said was thick) to be corrected, and often multiple times. I get embarrased, apologise, and move on. I don't start whining that I was "ganged up" on by those correcting me.

No, it'd be nice if you understand the state structures of North Korea before making such asinine presumptions. North Koreans are forced in many parts to worship their leader. It's also heavily propogandised that they're supposed to love him. Effectively, in North Korea, the religion is to idolise the state and its leader. There's forced conformity the very antithesis of secularism.

Sounds like Dickie Dawkins then, does he also advocate that anyone with Downs Syndrome should be aborted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

how is the state enforced worship of a despot in anyway atheist?
    If you need a definition of atheist do a search, there have been lots of threads.

The op's issue is played out all over this country, i know a child told at 5 that he would go to hell for some minor infraction in his first week at the local ns and after his parents had the opt-out, friendly chat with the teacher and principal.
    Trying to raise children with 'no hell below us and above us only sky' in Ireland is a tall order and I am not sure if I knew the regular challenges to this viewpoint beforehand if I would have gone this way. The lapsed catholic/cultural catholic way is easier.
    As regards the opinion and beliefs of a seven year old being questioned on this thread I can tell you they are very opinionated and if you heard some of the stuff my daughter says and has said since she was four you would not doubt that.
    keep going op, this is a regular reappraisal, thoughtful, lifelong process.

lynski wrote: »
    how is the state enforced worship of a despot in anyway atheist?
    If you need a definition of atheist do a search, there have been lots of threads.

North Korea is state atheism personified, so it's rather ironic the OP brought it up

Sounds like Dickie Dawkins then, does he also advocate that anyone with Downs Syndrome should be aborted ?

Dunno, don't care, not relevant to this thread.

Dunno, don't care, not relevant to this thread.

So why did you post about it ?

Mod: north Korea, political systems, down syndrome, Marty Morrissey etc. are irrelevant to this thread. Please don't be surprised if posts are moved or deleted.

So why did you post about it ?

Being courteous and replying to your misconceptions. You mentioned Dawkins and downs.

vibe666 wrote: »
    YOU said you were leaving.

And IM back is that OKAY with YOU????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Well lets see how this is going after dinner...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement