Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks Like We're The Threat Now!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well that's the point, isn't it? That "considerable difference" could be entirely illusory when there are visual clues. It's a very well documented phenomenon in beer and wine.

And lemonade! The first time I saw blind tasting was on a documentary years ago, and some people couldn't even tell the difference between 7-up and Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was at the launch event last night. I do like stouts and porters, but I'm not a big beer drinker in general.

To my limited tastes, both of the beers were decent. The Dublin Porter is lighter while the West Indies is spicier and heavier (approx 4% vs 6% IIRC). The funny thing is that Guinness are marketing these with images of bottles, whereas they intend to serve them on draught.

I did meet one of the brewers, who was so happy with the products. His enthusiasm was pretty infectious. Clearly he was enjoying what he was doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Well that's the point, isn't it? That "considerable difference" could be entirely illusory when there are visual clues. It's a very well documented phenomenon in beer and wine.

It's the point of a blind taste test.

In a way it is blind, as both beers looks the same and it doesn't say anywhere on the label that one has diacetyl and the other doesn't, or that one is quite a bit more bitter than the other.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

dudara wrote: »
    Guinness are marketing these with images of bottles, whereas they intend to serve them on draught.
    Only the Dublin Porter will be on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Which I think will be the first to get the bullet, in the Irish market anyway, as sub 4% beers are a tough sell here. Or maybe the Smithwicks drinkers will drink it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

It'll be nice to have an alternative to regular Guinness for those pubs that still lack a craft option and yet consider themselves too upmarket for Beamish, even if it is a Guinness alternative to Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Only the Dublin Porter will be on draught.

My bad! sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've tried a few of the Smithwicks variations and they're all bland and pointless (not as bland as regular Smithwicks though which is like drinking nothing)

not in any hurry to try these Guinness brews if there's anything at all more interesting on offer.

I like their pale ale and their winter variation.

Advertisement