Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea the Stars

Options
  • 02-09-2014 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Maybe it's me but I always thought Sea the stars would be in high demand as a Stallion but the numbers in the article show otherwise. Maybe the daunting presence and influence of Galileo has hurt him or maybe the breeders are not all that impressed by his first foals but to go from covering 150 foals to just 96 is a big drop.

Sea The Stars set pulses racing during the flat season in 2009, becoming World Champion with wins in the 2000G/Epsom Derby & Prix De L'Arc De Triomphe. When it was announced the unbeaten three-year-old would be retired to stud, rumours were circulating that he would be sold to stand in Japan. Thankfully his owners the T'sui's were dedicated to keeping him in Ireland. It was then rumoured that he would stand at The Irish National Stud, where he was foaled and raised & also where his dam the legendary Urban Sea spent until her death in April 2009. It was later announced Sea The Stars would stand at The Aga Khan studs alongside proven Group 1 sires Dalakhani & Azamour. With a fee set at €85,000, 130 mares were booked to the impeccably bred six times Group 1 winner, among them were 90 Group 1 winners/producers.

Sea The Stars was always guaranteed to become a successful stallion. By leading miler Cape Cross, a son of the top class Green Desert. Sea The Stars was out of Arc winner Urban Sea. His half siblings included Dual derby winner & world leading sire Galileo, dual Group 1 winner & sire Black Sam Bellamy, Group 1 placed pair Melikah & All To Beautiful, Grade 1 winner My Typhoon & LR winning 2yo Born To Sea.

There was great anticipation when Sea The Stars first crop turned two-year-olds. With 117 registered with Weatherby's. These two-year-olds included some regally bred youngsters out of Group 1 winners such as Alpine Rose, Speciousa, Zarkava, Queens Logic, Finsceal Beo, & Vodka. Sea The Stars profile suggested he would not become a major sire of two-year-olds. He himself won two of his three starts at two including at Group 2 level. While many judges expected that he should sire some Group 1 class two-year-olds. His only stakes winner among his first two-year-olds was Group 3 winner My Titania. However he did get some unbeaten eye catching two-year-olds including Rip Roaring, Taghrooda & Sea The Moon. While it was a fair start for his first crop. Some judges had been dissapointed with Sea The Stars first two-year-olds. However better things were to come.

It was revealed that Sea The Stars received his lowest book of mares in 2011 which was his second season at stud receiving 87 mares, however his books increased rapidly in 2012 covering 150 mares and decreasing again in 2013 to 96 mares.

Sea The Stars progeny were always expected to be in demand in the sales ring. His average sales for his first crop of foals in 2011 was €324,085 with a median of €246,305. While he had two mares in foal to him averaging €492,500.

In 2012 his foal average decreased to €197,010 & the median to €230,000 however he only had three foals up for grabs at auction that year. He had five mares sell in foal to him for an average of €367,000 with a median of €480,000. His first yearlings averaged €248,767 with a median of €180,000. His top priced yearling was Edkhan who sold in Arqana for €1.200,000.

In 2013 he had sixteen foals sell at auction for an average of €186,375 & a median of €180,000. He had nine mares sell in foal for an average of €224,000 with a median of €170,000. While his second crop of yearlings stood at twenty-three sold for an average of €185,054 and a median of €116,144, a decrease from his first Yearling sales in 2012. His highest priced yearling in 2013 was Globalist who sold for 460,000gns at Tattersalls.

His first crop of three-year-olds however have brought Sea The Stars to be behind only the exceptional sire Galileo on the European sires of three-year-olds list. He is also the third leading sire in Europe in order of prize money behind only exceptional sires Galileo & Invincible Spirit. He is the sire of NINE individual Stakes Winners including three Group 1 winners. They are dual Group 1 winner Taghrooda, unbeaten German derby winner & Arc favourite Sea The Moon & Prix Alary winner Vazira. While his Group/Listed winners include Zarshana, Anipa, My Titania, Afternoon Sunlight, Sivoliere & All At Sea.

The exceptional year Sea the Stars has had with his first classic crop will insure that he will continue to be well supported from breeders. His early yearling sales this year already look to become some of his best with two yearlings in the top 10 at Arqana at prices of €700,000 & €600,000. He has thirty-five yearlings catalogued in the prestigious Tattersalls Book 1 yearling sale in October, while at Goffs Orby sale he has eight yearlings. The Aga Khan Studs have also announced that due to high demand for Europe's most exciting young stallion Sea The Stars will cover a limited book of mares to Southern Hemisphere time.

Mod edit: Link: http://horsefan1.blogspot.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Wasn't Galileo a very average stallion to begin with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Are the numbers northern hemisphere covers? It says at the end he will be covering some southern hemisphere.

The price may have gone up too, I thought 85k was a very low starting point for him.

Are the numbers northern hemisphere covers? It says at the end he will be covering some southern hemisphere.

The price may have gone up too, I thought 85k was a very low starting point for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

kfallon wrote: »
    Wasn't Galileo a very average stallion to begin with?

I wouldn't say he was average. He started out as a shuttle stallion because the old man was still alive(Sadler's Wells) along with Montjeu,and High Chaparral

hucklebuck wrote: »

2014 is the first time He will cover SH mares

• Advertisement

It is interesting that he started out at 85,000 and hasn't moved although Galileos fee is listed privet. many have given his 2014 fee
    between 200 and 250€

Cape Cross (IRE) - Urban Sea, by Miswaki
    2006, b, 16.2 hands, entered stud 2010.
    Stallion Register
    Weatherbys
    2014 FEE:
    Standing at Gilltown Stud
    Co. Kildare, Ire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Did you write that or did someone else?
    Maybe it's me but I always thought Sea the stars would be in high demand as a Stallion but the numbers in the article show otherwise. Maybe the daunting presence and influence of Galileo has hurt him or maybe the breeders are not all that impressed by his first foals but to go from covering 150 foals to just 96 is a big drop.

Sea The Stars set pulses racing during the flat season in 2009, becoming World Champion with wins in the 2000G/Epsom Derby & Prix De L'Arc De Triomphe. When it was announced the unbeaten three-year-old would be retired to stud, rumours were circulating that he would be sold to stand in Japan. Thankfully his owners the T'sui's were dedicated to keeping him in Ireland. It was then rumoured that he would stand at The Irish National Stud, where he was foaled and raised & also where his dam the legendary Urban Sea spent until her death in April 2009. It was later announced Sea The Stars would stand at The Aga Khan studs alongside proven Group 1 sires Dalakhani & Azamour. With a fee set at €85,000, 130 mares were booked to the impeccably bred six times Group 1 winner, among them were 90 Group 1 winners/producers.

Sea The Stars was always guaranteed to become a successful stallion. By leading miler Cape Cross, a son of the top class Green Desert. Sea The Stars was out of Arc winner Urban Sea. His half siblings included Dual derby winner & world leading sire Galileo, dual Group 1 winner & sire Black Sam Bellamy, Group 1 placed pair Melikah & All To Beautiful, Grade 1 winner My Typhoon & LR winning 2yo Born To Sea.

There was great anticipation when Sea The Stars first crop turned two-year-olds. With 117 registered with Weatherby's. These two-year-olds included some regally bred youngsters out of Group 1 winners such as Alpine Rose, Speciousa, Zarkava, Queens Logic, Finsceal Beo, & Vodka. Sea The Stars profile suggested he would not become a major sire of two-year-olds. He himself won two of his three starts at two including at Group 2 level. While many judges expected that he should sire some Group 1 class two-year-olds. His only stakes winner among his first two-year-olds was Group 3 winner My Titania. However he did get some unbeaten eye catching two-year-olds including Rip Roaring, Taghrooda & Sea The Moon. While it was a fair start for his first crop. Some judges had been dissapointed with Sea The Stars first two-year-olds. However better things were to come.

It was revealed that Sea The Stars received his lowest book of mares in 2011 which was his second season at stud receiving 87 mares, however his books increased rapidly in 2012 covering 150 mares and decreasing again in 2013 to 96 mares.

Sea The Stars progeny were always expected to be in demand in the sales ring. His average sales for his first crop of foals in 2011 was €324,085 with a median of €246,305. While he had two mares in foal to him averaging €492,500.

In 2012 his foal average decreased to €197,010 & the median to €230,000 however he only had three foals up for grabs at auction that year. He had five mares sell in foal to him for an average of €367,000 with a median of €480,000. His first yearlings averaged €248,767 with a median of €180,000. His top priced yearling was Edkhan who sold in Arqana for €1.200,000.

In 2013 he had sixteen foals sell at auction for an average of €186,375 & a median of €180,000. He had nine mares sell in foal for an average of €224,000 with a median of €170,000. While his second crop of yearlings stood at twenty-three sold for an average of €185,054 and a median of €116,144, a decrease from his first Yearling sales in 2012. His highest priced yearling in 2013 was Globalist who sold for 460,000gns at Tattersalls.

His first crop of three-year-olds however have brought Sea The Stars to be behind only the exceptional sire Galileo on the European sires of three-year-olds list. He is also the third leading sire in Europe in order of prize money behind only exceptional sires Galileo & Invincible Spirit. He is the sire of NINE individual Stakes Winners including three Group 1 winners. They are dual Group 1 winner Taghrooda, unbeaten German derby winner & Arc favourite Sea The Moon & Prix Alary winner Vazira. While his Group/Listed winners include Zarshana, Anipa, My Titania, Afternoon Sunlight, Sivoliere & All At Sea.

The exceptional year Sea the Stars has had with his first classic crop will insure that he will continue to be well supported from breeders. His early yearling sales this year already look to become some of his best with two yearlings in the top 10 at Arqana at prices of €700,000 & €600,000. He has thirty-five yearlings catalogued in the prestigious Tattersalls Book 1 yearling sale in October, while at Goffs Orby sale he has eight yearlings. The Aga Khan Studs have also announced that due to high demand for Europe's most exciting young stallion Sea The Stars will cover a limited book of mares to Southern Hemisphere time.

Nulty wrote: »

Is there an issue with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Is there an issue with it ?

No harm to mention the source i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I would say he has done well enough given the mares he got. I also think the owners of those fancy mares will be considering Galileo, Dansili, invincible spirit and oasis dream as strongly as they will consider him come the spring.No guarantees in that game no matter how good a race horse .

• Advertisement

Gregk961 wrote: »
    No harm to mention the source i suppose?

Google.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Google.ie

It's proper etiquette to cite or link the source.

h2005 wrote: »
    It's proper etiquette to cite or link the source.

Thank you for telling me. now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

85k not very low it's just that others were so high, bearing in mind Sea the Stars went to stud at a time all fees were decreasing he went to stud at about twice as much as any new stallion in recent years. Frankel at 115KGBP is astronomical. Think in comparison what the highest fee has been for first season sires (in Europe) last number of years. Off the top of my head the likes of Manduro at 40k euro, New Approach 30KGBP, Teofilo 40K, Raven's Pass 40k. even the proven top class sire Redoute's Choice stood his first season in Europe at a 25k cheaper fee who is by Danehill.

Trust me 85k was not a very low starting point. Still represented a big chance being taken by many breeders. We all know that race track performance doesn't mean you will make it as a sire and the same can be said for pedigree. Sure if that was the case Black Sam Bellamy would be challenging Galileo

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Dubron

Nulty wrote: »

Almost positive it was written by a young woman called Michelle Kinane, she's well worth a follow on Twitter for anyone interested in the breeding side of things.

85k not very low it's just that others were so high, bearing in mind Sea the Stars went to stud at a time all fees were decreasing he went to stud at about twice as much as any new stallion in recent years. Frankel at 115KGBP is astronomical. Think in comparison what the highest fee has been for first season sires (in Europe) last number of years. Off the top of my head the likes of Manduro at 40k euro, New Approach 30KGBP, Teofilo 40K, Raven's Pass 40k. even the proven top class sire Redoute's Choice stood his first season in Europe at a 25k cheaper fee who is by Danehill.

Trust me 85k was not a very low starting point. Still represented a big chance being taken by many breeders. We all know that race track performance doesn't mean you will make it as a sire and the same can be said for pedigree. Sure if that was the case Black Sam Bellamy would be challenging Galileo

I have to disagree a bit. Frankles fee is spot on as he marks all the boxes needed.
    1- Outstanding race record
    2- By A sire of sires
    3- From a remarkable family

also we mustn't forget that Juddmonte won't spread him thin. each season he will only cover 100 to 120 mares. and the people who will send mares to him are not poor people looking to breed a good horse. the people who will send mares to him are the who's who of the turf racing world with blue blooded mares.

I have to disagree a bit. Frankles fee is spot on as he marks all the boxes needed.
    2- By A sire of sires

also we mustn't forget that Juddmonte won't spread him thin. each season he will only cover 100 to 120 mares. and the people who will send mares to him are not poor people looking to breed a good horse. the people who will send mares to him are the who's who of the turf racing world with blue blooded mares.

You think a fee of 115kGBP for an unproven first season sire is spot on? Much more than Dansili or Oasis Dream, about the same as the proven outstanding Derby sire Montjeu (at his peak fee)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Dubron wrote: »
    Almost positive it was written by a young woman called Michelle Kinane, she's well worth a follow on Twitter for anyone interested in the breeding side of things.

I knew i recognised it. Here is the original

http://horsefan1.blogspot.ie/2014/09/sea-stars-stallion-career.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

should be a bit of an increase in his fee for 2015 given how well the 3 year olds have performed, with a chance for some more races to add to the roll of honour just yet

Breeding at the top level is quite reasoned, breeders tend to go with lines and crosses that have worked well in the past, hence the reason its so difficult for the freshman sires to make it.

Granted the pool of Group 1 performers/producers he has covered meant he was destined to produce a few gems, but there is always a risk it won't work out

You think a fee of 115kGBP for an unproven first season sire is spot on? Much more than Dansili or Oasis Dream, about the same as the proven outstanding Derby sire Montjeu (at his peak fee)

Horse breeding is a gamble. just as with any commodity something is only worth what people are willing to pay. Coolmore once spent 16 million on a horse in the states. unraced and unproven. if any horse from Frankel's first crop go on to be Superstars 115 GBP will be a drop in the bucket compared to what his stallion fee will rise to.

• Advertisement

Horse breeding is a gamble. just as with any commodity something is only worth what people are willing to pay. Coolmore once spent 16 million on a horse in the states. unraced and unproven. if any horses from Frankel's first crop go on to be Superstars 115 GBP will be a drop in the bucket compared to what his stallion fee will rise to.

That is true but there are better bred horses than Frankel that have gone to stud and flopped. Frankel will have every chance but it is a very expensive gamble

And I didn't realise it's 125GBP not 115. Nearly twice the price of Sea the Stars

That is true but there are better bred horses than Frankel that have gone to stud and flopped. Frankel will have every chance but it is a very expensive gamble

And I didn't realise it's 125GBP not 115. Nearly twice the price of Sea the Stars

Yes very expensive to the common working man or small time breeders. BUT not expensive to the Saudis, Qutaris, Coolmore and top Asian racing teams who will breed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

It was a fair enough initial price for a covering that would be very likely to make a nice return in the sales ring where the Sea The Stars legend and Sea The Stars own fine confirmation were always likely to produce stock that would sell very well. Wouldn't have been wild about chancing him at that price after his first crop had been exposed to the racetrack. He's a successful stallion for now, but there's not a lot of depth to his stock so far outside of his two stars.

New Approach who's now dearer than him made a similar start to him and his stock are more precocious but he's not having a great second crop which seems to happen to a lot of horses.

Sea The Stars looks to be a source for a few top 3yos every so often but he doesn't look like a rival to Galileo in the long term. A bit like an In The Wings or Singspiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I wouldn't say he was average. He started out as a shuttle stallion because the old man was still alive(Sadler's Wells) along with Montjeu,and High Chaparral

His fee dropped from €60,000 in 2003 to €37,500 in 2005....hardly a sign of a successful stud career or in fact a sign of things to come!

His fee dropped from €60,000 in 2003 to €37,500 in 2005....hardly a sign of a successful stud career or in fact a sign of things to come!

You do realise he had zero runners by that stage, it's not uncommon for stallions fees' to drop from their first year at stud until they have runners. Sure Mastercraftsman fell to a low of 10k despite some decent sales. Galileo sired a classic winner in his first crop. The rest is history though I doubt even the most optimistic would have thought he'd dominate quite like he is

God bless those who got in for 60 and 37,500 because now it's 250k

• Registered Users Posts: 33 salfordseven

See da stars was an equine superstar. Shame I only won money on her once.
    My next fav horse after Nortons Coin .

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ronsh2000

2- By A sire of sires
    He looks very expensive compared to STS, particularly now that STS is a proven sire

• Advertisement

Exactly my point before STS progeny hit the track Frankel is standing for almost double the price of the stoutly bred champion half brother to Galileo.

Invincible Spirit is an established stallion standing around 75k off memory, even in STS first year I would think more of the rich people involved in racing would see that as a chance worth taking.

Advertisement