Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Boards Photobook - Santa Strike Force

Options
  • 28-08-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just kicking off a conversation around the annual Photobook that is put together by the members of the boards.ie Photography forum.

The book has been published for 5 years so far, with each copy raising funds for the Santa Strike Force :)

This year, for the book to move ahead it needs the usual volunteers, to organise the book, its contributors, payments and a book launch!

Unfortunately, Shakespeare Printers have left the industry since the 2013 book was published, so a new printer will also need to be sourced for the project.

If you are interested in coordinating the project, doing the design/publishing, sourcing printers etc. then please post here!

I'd love to help but with other commitments I can't take it on this year. As it's a community project, I think it's good to rotate it anyway :)

I'm really hoping it happens, as it is such a fantastic book and raises funds for such a great charity. People involved in previous year's will be able to pass on their experiences too - so you will have guidance!

Interest in submitting to Photobook 2014 30 votes

Would love to submit a photo again - hope the book goes ahead!
    0% 0 votes
    I think the book has run its course - maybe try something different!
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

Do you still need volunteers for this years book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Yes - so far I don't think anyone has signed up :)

What do I need to do?

Well, first thing would be to find a printer, so some quotes etc. I added a poll to make sure people want a book this year :) Next, when you know the cost is getting people to sign up and from there its payments, photos and creating the book :) When a few people pitch in it's grand :)

Ok, I need to get started pronto, as I will be away for a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

Out of curiousty, how many books do we normally order?

Ceacg wrote: »
    Out of curiousty, how many books do we normally order?

Great :) well, last year was about 70 I think. The year before was 100 and slightly more the year before, it all depends really on how many people want to be included. One page per person!

I can email you the details and logins if you are up for taking it on? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

Would love to take part, so COUNT ME IN :)

Before I am given the log in's etc, I want to see what I can do about printers.. I hope that's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Would I be right in saying that members submit pics and the best ones are added to a book? If that's the case I'm all for it...

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that members submit pics and the best ones are added to a book? If that's the case I'm all for it...

Sorry - I didn't explain it well at all! I just posted this in the main forum and it explains most of what the book is about :)
    If you haven't heard of the Photobook or haven't been involved in the previous years, it is basically the Boards.ie Photography Forum's annual book, which is published in late November each year, to raise funds for the Santa Strike Force.

Each year, posters in the forum (open to everyone) submit a single photo each (and have great fun trying to pick just one!) and commit to buying one copy of the book. Each book sold raises minimum of €5 for the charity. There is an official book launch held in Dublin, usually the last Saturday in November. Everyone that can make it celebrates the books' awesomeness over a few glasses of wine whilst picking up their copy. Anyone that can't make it - the book is posted out to as quickly as possible.

The cost of the Photobook depends on the size (# of pages etc.) and therefore the number of people involved. The organizers try to keep the costs down as much as possible, while maintaining quality. Generally the cost is kept to approx €30-40 max including the donation and postage.

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Sorry - I didn't explain it well at all! I just posted this in the main forum and it explains most of what the book is about :)

Well I have some smashing photos of the All-Ireland final but seeing as I'm from Tipp and your from Cork I doubt they'll feature much on this book :);)

GerB40 wrote: »
    Well I have some smashing photos of the All-Ireland final but seeing as I'm from Tipp and your from Cork I doubt they'll feature much on this book :);)

There is no filtering what goes into the book, whatever people choose to submit is their choice! I'm not involved this year anyway, just kicking off the topic and supporting. Have to support Tipp anyway, anyone but those Cats!

There is no filtering what goes into the book, whatever people choose to submit is their choice! I'm not involved this year anyway, just kicking off the topic and supporting. Have to support Tipp anyway, anyone but those Cats!

Funnily enough on my way out of Croker a Cork lad came up to me, shook my hand and said "Just beat the f*ckers please"..

I didn't have the heart to tell him I'm not on the management team :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

For me it's as much about a weekend in Dublin and a boards photowalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jjdubya

I'd definitely like to contribute to another book, really great to see them on the night. Might be able to help out with raffle prizes this year again, can start to ask around once we know it's going ahead.

jjdubya wrote: »
    I'd definitely like to contribute to another book, really great to see them on the night. Might be able to help out with raffle prizes this year again, can start to ask around once we know it's going ahead.

Hi, I'm Emily and I am organizing the book this year. It would be fantastic if you could help sort out raffle prizes. Thank you.

The quotes are coming in for the book, but I am still waiting for one more.
    There is good interest in this year's book, so it will be going ahead. :)
    It would be great if people could start sending images to boardsbook @gmail.com.

Thanks everyone.

We hope to have a raffle on the launch night, so any kind donations of raffle prizes would be very gratefully received. Thank you. We will of course be supporting Santa Strike Force. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Raffle Prize from me organised.

Could you post details of the sizes you need for the images. Landscape or Portrait etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

When will the final submission date be?

Is it too early to try to start planning the date for the book and photowalk?

I'm living in Galway, married, with kids so need to plan in advance.....

We are hoping the Dublin Camera Club will welcome us again this year, I am due to speak with them next week to ask about dates.

We always aim at the last Saturday in November, so that it doesn't impact on people's Christmas parties etc that tend to start once December comes around.

So, we're hoping the 28th November, or if not the backup is the 21st November. I will post next week with an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

This sounds fun! I'm in!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ceacg wrote: »
    The quotes are coming in for the book, but I am still waiting for one more.
    There is good interest in this year's book, so it will be going ahead. :)
    It would be great if people could start sending images to boardsbook @gmail.com.

Are we submitting images already?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

100% in for this if I'm not too late to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Never done this before, only around since earlier this year - sign me up please! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭candytog

Hi all,

Just kicking off a conversation around the annual Photobook that is put together by the members of the boards.ie Photography forum.

The book has been published for 5 years so far, with each copy raising funds for the Santa Strike Force :)

This year, for the book to move ahead it needs the usual volunteers, to organise the book, its contributors, payments and a book launch!

Unfortunately, Shakespeare Printers have left the industry since the 2013 book was published, so a new printer will also need to be sourced for the project.

If you are interested in coordinating the project, doing the design/publishing, sourcing printers etc. then please post here!

I'd love to help but with other commitments I can't take it on this year. As it's a community project, I think it's good to rotate it anyway :)

I'm really hoping it happens, as it is such a fantastic book and raises funds for such a great charity. People involved in previous year's will be able to pass on their experiences too - so you will have guidance!

I do a lot of photobook design if that's any help? Would be happy to volunteer

• Advertisement

So, we're hoping the 28th November, or if not the backup is the 21st November. I will post next week with an update.

Do you mean the 29th or 22nd- Saturdays? I'd presume it'd be on a Saturday; daytime suits the photowalk better?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement